Tell me about jet blue

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
I tried getting info on them and no luck I saw they and lyft are partners that is where the interest peaked

1. How much per checked bag

2. Is it assigned seating

3. What happens if you miss your connection I pretty good about requesting 2 hr minim but I am not the one paying for my flight this summer

1) JetBlue has different levels of tickets.

If you choose "Blue," the first bag is $25, the 2nd bag is $35, and any additional bags are $100 each.

If you choose "Blue Plus," the first bag is free, the second is $35 and any additional bags are $100.

If you choose "Blue Flex," the first two bags are free, and any additional bags are $100 each.

https://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

2) Yes, it is assigned seating. You choose your seat when you buy the ticket.
There is no extra cost to choosing your seat.

1) JetBlue has different levels of tickets.

If you choose "Blue," the first bag is $25, the 2nd bag is $35, and any additional bags are $100 each.

If you choose "Blue Plus," the first bag is free, the second is $35 and any additional bags are $100.

If you choose "Blue Flex," the first two bags are free, and any additional bags are $100 each.

https://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

2) Yes, it is assigned seating. You choose your seat when you buy the ticket.
There is no extra cost to choosing your seat.

The only extra cost in choosing a seat is if you select one of the Even More Space seats.

My gripe is that is what scares me about assigned seating sorry I was not clear I was talking about last minute seating changes that airlines love to do

1. Pick two for dh and I together and parent and child well board saying they need one of us to move and no I don't want to be a jerk so I we'll move

2. We will end up in the back and that raises my anxiety because I need to get off to make my connection along with everyone else I bet

My gripe is that is what scares me about assigned seating sorry I was not clear I was talking about last minute seating changes that airlines love to do

1. Pick two for dh and I together and parent and child well board saying they need one of us to move and no I don't want to be a jerk so I we'll move

2. We will end up in the back and that raises my anxiety because I need to get off to make my connection along with everyone else I bet

Then get the Even More Space seats, because they won't bump you from one of those for a regular seat when you paid a premium to have them in the first place.

We have flown JetBlue many times over the last 10 years or so. Last time was in December. We do usually get the even more space seats. But I have never seen them bump anyone from their seat for someone else. Also, JetBlue doesn't over sell their planes, so they don't bump people at the gate. You can pick your seat when you book & unless they change the plane for some unforeseen reason, you should have no problems with your seat assignment. But I have never had them change our plane either.

They have a few rows that they hold back to be assigned at checkin or at the gate. But again, I have never seen them bump anyone or ask for volunteers to change seats.

3. What happens if you miss your connection I pretty good about requesting 2 hr minim but I am not the one paying for my flight this summer

If you miss a connecting flight, JetBlue will put you on their next flight. As long as you were on your first flight, there will be no additional fees involved.

In the event of a major issue like weather shutting down an entire region or a massive computer crash, here's something to consider:

In the airline industry, some carriers have interline agreements. An interline agreement allows an airline to transfer their tickets to another airline electronically. If a flight gets canceled, an airline has the option to transfer affected passengers to a different airline in order to minimize delays and hassles for those passengers. It's not a perfect system, but it does provide more options when something unexpected happens.

Unfortunately, JetBlue does not have interline agreements with any other domestic airlines. That means if your flight is canceled, the only thing JetBlue will do is put you on the next available flight. They can't put you on a different airline.

None of the so-called "low cost carriers" use interline agreements. Examples: Southwest, JetBlue, Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier. However, the impact of lack of interline agreements depends on the size of the airline.
  • Southwest: 737 planes flying to 101 destinations
  • JetBlue: 234 planes to 106 destinations
  • Spirit: 105 planes to 60 destinations
  • Allegiant: 90 planes to 105 destinations
  • Frontier: 69 planes to 62 destinations
Basically, if you have more planes, it's easier to react when one of them is unavailable. (The same concept applies to crew. If you only have 100 pilots, it's harder to replace one than when you have 1000 pilots.) Due to their size, the lack of interline agreements is not much of a factor for Southwest. While it might be an issue with JetBlue, it's not a big enough one for me to not fly them. Personally, I won't fly Spirit, Allegiant, or Frontier in part due to this issue.

You pay extra to choose an Even More Space seat, because you get more legroom.

Jetblue has two types of planes. On their 100-passenger planes, there are 4 rows of Even More Space seats. One row is the first row of the plane, which means no seat in front of you for putting your bag under that seat. One is the exit row. The other two are behind the exit row.

If you are someone who would not be able to deal with opening the exit door in case of emergency, you don't want to be in the exit row. So that only leaves the two rows behind the exit row. (You can see the configurations at Seatguru.com)

They also have a larger plane, but it doesn't fly my route so I'm not familiar with the layout.

I fly SW and JB pretty much exclusively. I have never seen JB bump anyone, not once. I have never seen them ask for people to change their seats. I imagine you will be looking at the more reasonable fare, so plan on $25 for your first checked bag, $35 if you have a second...and that's per person. So you would pay $25 for your first checked bag, your dh would pay $25 for his first checked bag. When you choose seats, choose seats as close to the front as you can get...or, as someone has already mentioned, pay about $40 pp extra for extra legroom seats. These seats are usually in the front of the plane.

I fly SW and JB pretty much exclusively. I have never seen JB bump anyone, not once.

JetBlue doesn't overbook their flights. (You may already know that.) So, there aren't going to be many situations where they need to ask for volunteers. Perhaps it might happen if there is a change of aircraft for a flight. They use a few different versions of the Airbus planes and each has a slightly different number of seats. Less likely would be need to remove passengers due to weight and balance issues. That might happen with the smaller Embraer planes or when extreme temperatures happen (like in Phoenix back in June).

Link to JetBlue's Customer Service Plan showing their policy on not overbooking: https://www.jetblue.com/legal/customer-service-plan/

We pretty much exclusively fly JetBlue. The only time we came close to getting bumped was when dh was in extra leg room seats and we were a row or 2 behind in regular seats and the people the the row with dh were too wide for their seats so took their seat and his. He could not physically fit in the seat he paid for. They released all the standby seats so it was a full flight. After a bunch of back and forth a nice man heard our discussion with the flight attendant and pilot and offered to take the next flight so dh could have his seat.
But every other time, dozens of times, we get on, get in our seat and go. Although one time I offered to switch my seat with a young man who was on the aisle. He said it was his first flight ever and he was hoping for a window seat. I had a window seat, so we switched.

JetBlue doesn't overbook their flights. (You may already know that.) So, there aren't going to be many situations where they need to ask for volunteers. Perhaps it might happen if there is a change of aircraft for a flight. They use a few different versions of the Airbus planes and each has a slightly different number of seats. Less likely would be need to remove passengers due to weight and balance issues. That might happen with the smaller Embraer planes or when extreme temperatures happen (like in Phoenix back in June).

Link to JetBlue's Customer Service Plan showing their policy on not overbooking: https://www.jetblue.com/legal/customer-service-plan/
Yep, I know that!! That's one of the things I like about JB. I find that as long as you are knowledgeable about the airline's policies, you won't have any nasty little surprises. It amazes me how many people have no idea what the policies are!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!