Tell me about things that have gone wrong with DVC for you

mum of two pirates

This is how I cook
like not getting your home resort even at 11 m out. Or never being able to get the resort you want at seven months out because there to full. I'm thinking about buying but just want to know some of the downfalls but I need to be aware of. My friend owns into a different points timeshare and I know if you don't book a year out then you hardly ever get any dates or resort that you want because are so many people that own and do in the competition is so big for the places on the ocean.

Biggest "problem" was not being able to go every year since our girls (DD5 & DD3) were born; this was mostly due to waiting till they could really enjoy it to take the to WDW. The girls really enjoy the parks now. We owned a small contract at BRV, and just recently added another small contract at AKL.

Have never had issues with not being able to book at all, occasionally we've done 7 months out at another resort and had to choose another type of room. The years we skipped due to our girls were years we ended up renting out our points; that worked out well as it paid for annual dues and we got a some extra cash that year.

I wish I would have joined 10 years ago when I first went . Lol so how many points did you guys start out with? I'm thinking I only need 50 as id only go every other year or 3 rd year like we do now. I'll start taking my grandson once he turns 5, but he's only 3 months now lol. But at this point I'm thinking AK and then I'd love the poly, but probly BLT. I have read it's a better deal. Now off to find out why the UY is so important. Thanks

We almost always book home and almost always book at exactly 11 months, so we've never had availability issues - although we've gotten the last standard view room or last Grand Villa for our dates with an eleven month booking more than once.

Our biggest issue is probably that as our family has grown, we aren't driven to use the points. My son got bored of Disney by middle school. My daughter is so busy that she won't make the next trip - she's a Senior in High School. Finding time when the family can go on vacation has gotten really difficult, and when we can get my son, we don't do Disney. We've taken friends in order to use up our points - even had four people in a Grand Villa for a few days. Or we rent them.

We've had cancellation issues - we've been able to work around them. But we cancelled a trip when my sister got pregnant, another when she got cancer, and then lost our guests (which is how we got four in a Grand Villa) when my brother in law passed away. Planning eleven months out for a room opens you up to a lot of life change.

Other issues we've had...rooms OFTEN haven't been really clean or well maintained. Acceptable, but not great. We never get our room request (which isn't a big deal to us, but might be to someone else). There have been a few bad mattresses over the years.

Another issue is cost. We've owned fifteen years and when we bought our kids were toddlers. Ticket prices have gone way up. Airfare has gone up - we live in a city where airfare has always been more expensive than most places. Dining has gone up. After fifteen years of every other year trips, I can skip most of the attractions at Disney - then wonder why I bought a $400 ticket. Its another reason we aren't driven to go any longer. I can spend a week in London or Vienna for the cost of Disney.

Our first "look" at DVC was 1998 ... but first purchase was in 2004 with 150 points SSR. We quickly added on 25 points (2005) and then 160 points (2007), both at SSR with same UY. Here are the problems we've encountered, responding to your original post.
  • UY. We love our UY as related to WDW travel ... but it doesn't match well with our California or Hawaii travel patterns. Of course, in 2004 there were no hints of either CA/HI properties ... so how could we have evaluated a "better" UY? There are some things you must simply "live with." Do read the master thread on Understanding UY.
  • Expectations. Oh, this could be a big topic, of course! DVC is not our only timeshare ... wasn't the first timeshare ... and isn't our favorite timeshare. Thus, I sometimes struggle with expectations comparing it against certain strengths/benefits of our other timeshare choices. That said, DVC is the best tool for staying onsite at WDW! It is what it is, of course.
  • Room Conditions. Again, given my experience with our other timeshares, I'm often left wanting in room quality (DVC almost "doesn't care"). Historically, most of our DVC visits have included in-room visits by maintenance and at least once we've strongly pushed for a room change which is very difficult to accommodate in the timeshare world. (Be prepared that timeshares try to run at very high occupancy year round ... there are rarely open rooms available.) To keep this in perspective, while we do encounter frequent visits by maintenance -- we do not often have a truly disappointing room. Most visits are "little things" (i.e., dishwasher repair) that do not particularly disturb out visit.
Your post #1 asked about availability concerns. FWIW, we get everything we want across the system using our SSR points, generally at 7-months or via the waitlist:
  • BWV 1BR unit, Boardwalk view in January ... for many, many years in a row for our work-related tech conference at Swan/Dolphin.
  • Aulani 1BR units (varying views)
  • Animal Kingdom 1BR units (varying views -- mostly savannah with one Club Level visit)
  • Copper Creek Cabin
  • Grand Cal 1BR units (and a few studio stays)
  • SSR Treehouse
  • Vero Beach 1BR
  • etc.
Good luck in your continued research!

Edited to add ... a few things that have gone "RIGHT" with DVC since our initial purchase. Things that continue to delight us and keep it "sold" going forward.
  • New resorts! There have been quite a few additions since 2004. We are thrilled by Animal Kingdom Villas, Grand Cal, Aulani, etc. We love the Treehouse Villas and are looking forward to an upcoming CCV Cabin stay.
  • Concierge Collection. While the list of properties offered changes over time, we used our DVC points through the Concierge Collection to satisfy my Holy Grail of Timesharing some years back: The Manhattan Club over Thanksgiving. Wowza, that was awesome. I'm sorry that we missed booking The Tanque Verde Ranch when it was offered -- but hope to see it, or similar, return sometime in the future.
  • Recent changes to the RCI agreement now allow DVC members to book RCI rental weeks (booked on cash, not points)! Yeah!

Last edited:

Our first "look" at DVC was 1998 ... but first purchase was in 2004 with 150 points SSR. We quickly added on 25 points (2005) and then 160 points (2007), both at SSR with same UY. Here are the problems we've encountered, responding to your original post.
  • UY. We love our UY as related to WDW travel ... but it doesn't match well with our California or Hawaii travel patterns. Of course, in 2004 there were no hints of either CA/HI properties ... so how could we have evaluated a "better" UY? There are some things you must simply "live with." Do read the master thread on Understanding UY.
  • Expectations. Oh, this could be a big topic, of course! DVC is not our only timeshare ... wasn't the first timeshare ... and isn't our favorite timeshare. Thus, I sometimes struggle with expectations comparing it against certain strengths/benefits of our other timeshare choices. That said, DVC is the best tool for staying onsite at WDW! It is what it is, of course.
  • Room Conditions. Again, given my experience with our other timeshares, I'm often left wanting in room quality (DVC almost "doesn't care"). Historically, most of our DVC visits have included in-room visits by maintenance and at least once we've strongly pushed for a room change which is very difficult to accommodate in the timeshare world. (Be prepared that timeshares try to run at very high occupancy year round ... there are rarely open rooms available.) To keep this in perspective, while we do encounter frequent visits by maintenance -- we do not often have a truly disappointing room. Most visits are "little things" (i.e., dishwasher repair) that do not particularly disturb out visit.
Your post #1 asked about availability concerns. FWIW, we get everything we want across the system using our SSR points, generally at 7-months or via the waitlist:
  • BWV 1BR unit, Boardwalk view in January ... for many, many years in a row for our work-related tech conference at Swan/Dolphin.
  • Aulani 1BR units (varying views)
  • Animal Kingdom 1BR units (varying views -- mostly savannah with one Club Level visit)
  • Copper Creek Cabin
  • Grand Cal 1BR units (and a few studio stays)
  • SSR Treehouse
  • Vero Beach 1BR
  • etc.
Good luck in your continued research!

Note that your success is in booking 1 bedrooms or larger at the 7 month mark. These are always the last to book because in most cases the occupancy is the same as a studio but they are considerably more points.

Booking studios at 7 months has become much more of a challenge. Depending on the time of year and the resort, it can be very difficult to put a trip together. I don't normally go in the fall, but from what people have posted, if you want a studio and didn't book your home resort early, you are scrounging for availability at even the bigger resorts SSR and OKW.

The best advice especially if you book studios is buy where you want to stay or at the very least where you don't mind staying. I am actually in the process of adjusting my holdings, selling one contract, purchasing another, because I want that 11 month window at a different resort.

Note that your success is in booking 1 bedrooms or larger at the 7 month mark. These are always the last to book because in most cases the occupancy is the same as a studio but they are considerably more points.
Just checking -- were you really talking to me (frequent use of the word "you" throughout your post) ... or the OP? I'm guessing you meant to highlight the 1BR/Studio differences to the OP rather than to me.

Yes, agreed -- 1BRs are easier to book. I was careful to detail that my successful reservations were largely 1BR units vs studio stays for that purpose.

Just checking -- were you really talking to me (frequent use of the word "you" throughout your post) ... or the OP? I'm guessing you meant to highlight the 1BR/Studio differences to the OP rather than to me.

Yes, agreed -- 1BRs are easier to book. I was careful to detail that my successful reservations were largely 1BR units vs studio stays for that purpose.

So sorry for the confusion :flower3:

Yes, I was trying to emphasize the difference. As a studio person myself, I have been amazed at the increase in booking challenges over the past couple of years... enough that I am adjusting my holdings to get that 11 month booking window at my resort of choice again.

For us vets, the difference is obvious but I think newbies need the emphasis... of course one possible solution would be to buy enough points for the 1 bedrooms!

So I was just reading on one of the many sites can't member off the top of my head which one, that it said if you buy resell points that you can't use it for the other Disney trips like cruises and stuff but also it listed the Polynesian is that true? Also if I had a small 50 point Contract in animal kingdom in a 50 point at Baylake or Polynesian and want to stay at animal Kingdom I can book the 11 month window at animal Kingdom but use the points from the other two contracts at animal kingdom also right?

So I was just reading on one of the many sites can't member off the top of my head which one, that it said if you buy resell points that you can't use it for the other Disney trips like cruises and stuff but also it listed the Polynesian is that true? Also if I had a small 50 point Contract in animal kingdom in a 50 point at Baylake or Polynesian and want to stay at animal Kingdom I can book the 11 month window at animal Kingdom but use the points from the other two contracts at animal kingdom also right?

That is correct for cruises, but not for resorts. All resorts are equal in that they each get 11 month home resort priority, and then they all open up to other points at 7 months.

I used to have very little issue booking AKV club level for a week long trip each year, that has gotten more and more difficult over the past 3 years or so.

It has also gotten more and more difficult to book during F&W at the Epcot resorts- which pushed us to get a resale contract for BCV in addition to our AKV contract.

I also never got the DVC tote bag that I was promised when I purchased direct from Disney many years ago, and yes, I am still salty over it!

That is where specifics are important. No, resale buyers can not use points to stay at the Polynesian Hotel which is part of the Disney collection. Polynesian Villas though - of course as they are part of DVC. So, it depends on if they were talking about the hotel rooms including concierge level (which would be no) or the Villas section which would be a yes.

Last edited:
Also if I had a small 50 point Contract in animal kingdom in a 50 point at Baylake or Polynesian and want to stay at animal Kingdom I can book the 11 month window at animal Kingdom but use the points from the other two contracts at animal kingdom also right?

Sorry - had skipped this. There answer is no. Points always keep their home resort status. AKV points can be used for AKV bookings at 11 months. BLT can be used for BLT bookings at 11 months etc. No points from a different resort can be used at 11 months. That would be circumventing the home resort priority.

What can be done is to use banking and borrowing to have access to up to 3 years worth of points for an 11 month booking. Some people who own more than one resort use their contracts that way. So, if you bought 50 BLT and 50 AKV in one year you could use the current 50 BLT points and borrow next years points to have 100 points to book at BLT at the 11 month window. Then you could bank the current 50 AKV and next year use those banked points plus the 50 points from that year to have 100 points to book at AKV.

So I was just reading on one of the many sites can't member off the top of my head which one, that it said if you buy resell points that you can't use it for the other Disney trips like cruises and stuff but also it listed the Polynesian is that true?
Resale points, purchased since specific milestone dates, cannot book Disney Cruise Lines, Disney Collection (Disney Hotels -- with added emphasis on Hotel!) or Concierge Collection (non-Disney hotels). Resale points may book any/all Disney Vacation Club resorts at the appropriate window.

Also if I had a small 50 point Contract in animal kingdom in a 50 point at Baylake or Polynesian and want to stay at animal Kingdom I can book the 11 month window at animal Kingdom but use the points from the other two contracts at animal kingdom also right?
If all three contracts (50:AKV, 50:BLT, 50: Poly) are under the same master contract -- then you may book any resort at the 7-month window using combinations of points from any/all of the three contracts.

At the 11-month window you may only book AKV using AKV points; Poly using Poly points and BLT using BLT points. One workaround is to bank/borrow allowing you to use multiple year's of points from a single resort to boost your 11-month home resort reservation advantage.

Last edited:

One thing to be aware of is the the number of points required to book a room can vary. So if you buy for an OKW studio during January checking in on Monday and out by Friday, its 10 points per night. The same season at the Poly is 16 points a night - assuming you can book a standard view - its 20 if all the standard views are taken. Friday over the Christmas holidays, that lake view Poly studio is 42 points a night.

This can make switching resorts with a small number of points challenging, since if you buy a small number of points you generally need to maximize the value. It can also make a small number of points at a place like the Poly be challenging to use, for those doing a 25 point add on for perks and the booking window at the Poly, even combining every three years and going in low point season, you get four nights. That can mean that in the dreaming phase, the Poly looks like a wonderful idea, and then in the pragmatic booking phase, the 11 points per night SSR room that you book with home resort points seems like a much better idea.

Been a member since 1995. Own at OKW, Hilton Head, AKL and Aulani. A list of my problems:

Any other questions?

Thanks everyon. So we have always gone the wed after thanksgiving. This time we have dec 7-23 booked I haven't gotten into reading about UY yet (just haven't taken the time there's so much info) so is there a specific YU I need to get? I'm sure we'll always go that week as I like the Christmas season. Maybe in years to come when my gkids are in jr high I might have to take them in April but we'll see.

Also if you exchange it into RCI do you get a week for a week? My son is into diving and I'm sure sometime I'll want to go to Someplace where he can dive. lol I know he can at Disney and he plans on diving there, only because I've asked him sooo many times if he wants to. Lol. Thanks you guys have been great in helping answering all my questions.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter