Tell me about things that have gone wrong with DVC for you

I once called and almost booked a confirmed first exchange. I wanted a VA/NC/SC/GA area beach trip for about 7 months out in Aug and the CM on the phone told me all my options. But she told me Vero Beach DVC had availability so we just went ahead and booked that. It was farther than we wanted to drive from MD. But we then tacked on two nights at Universal to see all the HP stuff. Was nice. But anyway...I just called DVC MS and they told me my options. There were some places we could have exchanged for but they seemed run down to me and we would have had to pay that $95 exchange fee.

I just purchased a 50 point direct contract at OKW. My intention is not to use it every other year, but a couple of 3-4 day weekends a year. My children are both in college and I am semi-retired. So for us to travel together for a full week is nearly impossible. I purposely started small. I will have no worries about using or banking, renting etc but if I need more I can always add-on if needed. Buying direct was the only way to go for me, as resale just doesn't make financial sense for small contracts. I plan on taking advantage of the RCI last call deals ( semi-retired ) to locations I can drive to for longer vacations for me and the fiance. I choose OKW because I find the resort quite peaceful and honestly if kids aren't coming I can spend a weekend there relaxing. So far we are scheduled for a studio at OKW in January and BWV during Memorial Day weekend, I had no issues calling on the 7-month mark and changing, AK & POLY were also open.
So does Disney pay for rci for you for so many months or do you?

Thanks everyone, can I pay dvc with Disney gift cards? I have $1700 left over from paying my rooms and could use that as a down payment.

Thanks everyone, can I pay dvc with Disney gift cards? I have $1700 left over from paying my rooms and could use that as a down payment.

You cannot buy in using them, but they can be used to pay annual dues. Plus, if you are buying in, hold in to your gift cards to pay for the park tickets you will surely be buying.

Thanks you guys are great. I was thinking about keeping them. As I have enough southwest points for 2 tickets down and I’m thinking about in a year or two doing a run disney. It would almost be free for a few days that way.

Biggest problem was that the condition of the room continued to go down. Stuff broken, furniture dirty and floors sticky and awful in the kitchen area.

I haven't HAD this problem yet, but I already know it will be a bit of a problem for me....

I always initially book trips for 10 days with the intention of staying 5-6 nights. I fine tune my trip dates after I've shopped for airfare, actually have my kids schedules in hand, etc. It is going to kill me a little to pick my dates and stick with them. I'm already considering buying a point transfer so I can at least book 7 nights for our next trip though we intend on staying 5 nights. Just adding a day at the beginning and a day at the end for a little flexibility on airfare will help me...I think.

Housekeeping / maintenance are the areas one is most likely to encounter issues with DVC. Most rooms I've been assigned were fine, but minor problems occur with some frequency. If you're the "I'm just happy to be at Disney" type, it's probably not a big deal. If you're not that type of person, you may find some of your trips to be somewhat irritating.

Our complaint has been using extra points for savannah view rooms at AKL(Kidani) and being placed over the Pembe Savannah with no animals.

Our complaint has been using extra points for savannah view rooms at AKL(Kidani) and being placed over the Pembe Savannah with no animals.
AKV novice here - is it that the Pembe savannah doesn't really have animals, or the view is not good?

AKV novice here - is it that the Pembe savannah doesn't really have animals, or the view is not good?

No giraffe on Pembe for one thing. And it has a narrow section which the animals tend to just pass thru so if your room is there it may not have animals outside of it too often.

No giraffe on Pembe for one thing. And it has a narrow section which the animals tend to just pass thru so if your room is there it may not have animals outside of it too often.

The upper floor rooms actually have nice views of high rise hotels offsite and road noise if you want to pay a premium in points to have that view also. We saw more deer outside of the fence that actual animals inside the fence.

They did offer to move us 2 days into the stay. We declined due to 9 people and we were already settled into the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!