Tell me it is ok to splurge on a on a Disneyland Hotel

We debated this too and ultimately booked PPH. But only because we got a TA discount which made the cost just slightly more than off site hotels. If we didn't get the discount we would have stayed off site (this is purely ME and what I can live with in my budget). I like the perks like early entry to park and Disney theming and a cool pool. We went with PPH because we got a premium view room for less than a regular room at DLH (our first choice). You can always visit the hotels too if you stay off site and eat at the restaurants there. If it's in your budget and you feel you will regret it, then by all means stay onsite. You can't take it with you.
How did you get the discount :scratchin.

We got a lot more space staying offsite, but the pool sucked, the walk sucked, NOT having EMH sucked. NOT staying at our Disney home SUCKED. Do it. I warn you however you will NOT want to ever do anything else again. I don't scrimp on our vacations. We take so few, it's worth doing right.

Totally worth it (assuming you can even still get a room). The EMH every day will make a huge difference that time of year. Especially at DCA. Also, the onsite hotel reservation gets you access to food reservations that that are not otherwise available. When staying onsite and using that number for reservations, I have never not been able to get the place and meal I wanted. Finally, the tiki bar and Tangora Terrace are the perfect combination when you have a kid with you!

I looked and there was still rooms and if I can't then I guess that would solve my problems. EMH Is a big plus for me. I am taking my niece who has never been and it would be great to take advantage of that during the holidays. We are doing Goofys kitchen and Minnies and possibly Storytellers brunch so it would be nice to be near the restaurants and not have to go back to our hotel.

We got a lot more space staying offsite, but the pool sucked, the walk sucked, NOT having EMH sucked. NOT staying at our Disney home SUCKED. Do it. I warn you however you will NOT want to ever do anything else again. I don't scrimp on our vacations. We take so few, it's worth doing right.

See I know myself and DH and although we like to save money we also love to enjoy our vacations the best we can. When we go on vacation we have a "budget" but we also don't limit ourselves. I am pretty sure once we do it we will not want to stay any other place.

So if anyone has read my other post you would know i really want to stay at a Disney Hotel but can not push my self to do so.

We already have everything booked for December 27-31 to stay at the Anaheim Marriot just need to make the last payment. The reason i have not paid in full is a part of me wants to switch to a Disney property. My first choice $$ wise is PPH which i don't see many perks besides EMH & i do not like the pool and it seems just as far as where we are staying. My second but really first choice is DLH. DLH seems very magical. DD has always wanted to stay there. The pool looks amazing. GCH is out of the question.

We are going back to Disneyland next year with a big group and will definitely not stay on property. And after that we more than likely won't be back for a couple years:worried:.

Dh said to keep what we have or book which ever Disney hotel i wanted to stay at. We can afford it I just can't justify the costs but really want to stay there.

Can you help me take the plunge and just switch to either PPH or DLH.
Tell me why i should splurge on PPH or DLH.:santa:

Yes, it is a splurge, but, life is too short and some times, you need to crack open the wallet and enjoy life. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had the funds. DLH would be my choice between the two because it is a straight walk from the hotel through DTD so you do not see any road traffic as you would if you stayed at PPH. MM/EE will help with getting on rides first thing each day, then you can relax for lunch, then head back in the evenings.

We actually love PPH in a theme park view room, and the walk doesn't seem as long to me as DLH... DLH seems so far at the end of the day... but yes, DLHs pool is amazing and the rooms feel very magical. As other have said, splurge if you can afford it!

I am not much of a pool person but DH and DD must get in the pool no matter the weather. In 2013 we visited in December and stayed at the Hilton.They were at the pool in between the the day and at night. Trust me they will use the pool eve if its cold especially if they are heated.
In that case I'd justify the splurge!

Honestly, I refuse to stay anywhere else. We're spoiled. And not afraid to admit it. Lol We stay at DLH usually. My kids LOVE the pool areas and I love the convenience of a quick walk to Earl of Sandwich to take back to the room for a light meal or Haagen-Dazs for ice cream to eat during fireworks from our room (the last two times we've ended up with a balcony in the Frontier tower, which has a nice view of fireworks - which is awesome for everyone but me because I'm terrified to go on the balcony. Lol)

It's just SO much work staying off property. Plus a member of my family insists on room service, so it really narrows things down. Though the DLR room service menus aren't as good these days....

...see? Told you we are spoiled.:rolleyes:

Do you ever go back to the hotel during the day? I tend to spend big on vacations for nicer accommodations/etc, but we are marriott associates and the rates we get are like 10% of onsite cost so I can never justify it. And, after having made quite a few trips in the last year, it would definitely not be worth it for us. We have 3 little kids 6 and under, but we plow through the day - 30 mins before rope drop, go home at 9-10 and then it's bedtime. If I thought there was even a possibility we would spend time at the hotel I would think about it, but that's just not the way we do DL. So, it should probably depend on if you're going to even use the perks of an onsite hotel. You may already have set days you're going to be in the parks, but I know that by staying somewhere less expensive I don't feel guilty about spending money on other things ($200 for BBB, character dinners, etc.)

As long as you're not going into any kind of debt or will need to give something else up in order to do it, I suppose it's fine. It's not worth it in my opinion at DLR (unlike WDW), but only you know your finances and can assign a value to what it means to you relative to the cost.

Our first trip we stayed across the street on Harbour and had a fantastic trip. Our second trip I managed to get amazing rates at the DLH when they were renovating. Halfway through that trip I looked at my husband and said "We're in trouble " lol as I knew that we would never again be as happy with staying offsite.

We've stayed in both the DLH and GCH but the DLH just feels like home. There's nowhere else that I would pay rates that high when other options are available, but even my daughter at age 12 had said she'd rather have to delay our vacation a year just so that we could afford to stay onsite. So be warned lol! Once you start it's very difficult to let go of the ambiance, magic mornings, and my husband's favourite- parcel delivery of all your shopping in the parks back to your hotel so you don't have to pack it around all day ;)

We like being in the Disney bubble so we sprung for the DLH and so glad we did! We loved the atmosphere and walking through downtown Disney when going to/from the parks. Service was what we expected too. Go for it!

We went to PHH for the rooftop view of the fireworks and did not like the hotel at all. It was very motel-like and not much of a Disney feel to it.

Do you ever go back to the hotel during the day? I tend to spend big on vacations for nicer accommodations/etc, but we are marriott associates and the rates we get are like 10% of onsite cost so I can never justify it. And, after having made quite a few trips in the last year, it would definitely not be worth it for us. We have 3 little kids 6 and under, but we plow through the day - 30 mins before rope drop, go home at 9-10 and then it's bedtime. If I thought there was even a possibility we would spend time at the hotel I would think about it, but that's just not the way we do DL. So, it should probably depend on if you're going to even use the perks of an onsite hotel. You may already have set days you're going to be in the parks, but I know that by staying somewhere less expensive I don't feel guilty about spending money on other things ($200 for BBB, character dinners, etc.)

We do go back to the hotel during the day and sometimes come back at night. We honestly don't do as much for the fact that we have never stayed on property and been so close but having the monorail stop right in front would be awesome. And it would be nice to go back to the hotel and change for dinner. We like to walk and sit in did and being so close would be great.

If there is one thing I never feel guilty about is my character dining lol. We did it once and we have not stopped. We usually do not eat at any other fancier or more expensive restaurants other than character dining. Would love to do BBB or any of the the other restaurants but DD is a picky eater and it just isn't worth it right now.

See I know myself and DH and although we like to save money we also love to enjoy our vacations the best we can. When we go on vacation we have a "budget" but we also don't limit ourselves. I am pretty sure once we do it we will not want to stay any other place.
That is a real danger. Once you stay on site it’s very hard to go back to off site. In my case it was impossible. And we buy so much in the parks that it’s really nice to have it sent back to the hotel instead of lugging it around all day.

If you can afford it without you sacrificing other parts of your trip then I would do it. When we went to Disneyland a few years ago we originally booked off site. My husband was against spending so much money on a hotel room that wouldn’t be any different. A month before going we switched to the Disneyland Hotel for about the same price (but with only 1 room instead of 2). We absolutely loved the decision to switch, we didn’t feel overly cramped having 5 people in 1 room, and now my husband acts like I’m speaking another language if I even think of another hotel (unless it’s the GCH).

We aren’t people who only visit the room to sleep though (and even if we were who cares we love the rooms). We enjoy taking a afternoon break for lunch, swimming, napping, whatever. We also really like the EMH. We use it to get the long wait rides out of the way or stuff we want to ride multiple times.

It sounds like it’s something that won’t break the bank and something you really want to do so why not? And it’s around the holidays so if it helps make it a part of y’alls holiday gifts.

It sounds like you want to do it, but feel like it costs too much. If you aren't going into debt for it, do it. I have stayed on property and off property. Staying on property didn't make me only want to stay on property. In fact, many times I'd rather stay where I get a free hot cooked breakfast and a suite vs. a small hotel room for about 1/4 of the price of staying at a Disneyland Hotel. Other times, I want to stay onsite for convenience. Enjoy yourself and give it a try.

Thanks Everyone!!! I slept on it and i am going to call and see if I can switch to DLH. I almost called last night, but decided to wait so that I call when no one is home so that it can be a surprise to DD and DH. DH can not keep a secret so he can't know when I do book it. all our bdays are in January so it will be a Christmas /birthday gift to ourselves(right??)

Now is there anything I should know about DLH?
If I buy something to they deliver to your room or leave it up front?
Do kids need to know how to swim for the pool slides(niece doesn't know)
what other restaurants are there that we might have missed?
Any special places to see fireworks etc.
Can we use the monorail to get back in? ( have only used to to get out)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!