Telling Our Parents at Disney World

grumbleworts

Cooking with Character - A Disney food blog
Hello!

My husband and I are going to WDW and stayed at AKL in August. I just found out I'm pregnant with our first child. So since I'm currently not very far, we wanted to wait to tell them until we get there. Hopefully everything will go well, but we're at a bit of a loss about how to tell them!

We're doing MK the day we get there. Husband isn't a fan of making a huge production, but I was thinking about going to get a "1st visit" pin and just pinning it on my shirt over the belly and seeing how long it takes them to notice. (This is pretty easy, since My husband's birthday and my mom's are both in august, so I can use that as an excuse to go in and get the buttons)

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm open to suggestion!
smile.gif

If your DH isn't a fan of a big production would it maybe be better to do it in a more private environment than in the park? You could have balloons, grandparents to be cards, etc back at the room. Even a cake or cookies. But I still think the button is a great idea too.

You could go to a photopass photographer to get a picture somewhere in the park and then tell your parents and the photopass photographer could catch their reaction. (Let the photographer know you're going to do it so they're ready to capture it.)

The button idea is cool too, see how long it takes for them to notice.

If your DH isn't a fan of a big production would it maybe be better to do it in a more private environment than in the park? You could have balloons, grandparents to be cards, etc back at the room. Even a cake or cookies. But I still think the button is a great idea too.

He says he's okay with doing it at MK. I suggested something at the resort, but we aren't sure that we'll all be staying near each other (we have 3 separate reservations) so it would end up being in the middle of hte lobby anyway. I also suggested trying to arrange something to be given to them at check in, but that could be odd timing too.

I like the button idea. A celebrating button that says "I'm going to be a grandma/grandpa" would be adorable
I like the grandma/grandpa button idea!

You could go to a photopass photographer to get a picture somewhere in the park and then tell your parents and the photopass photographer could catch their reaction. (Let the photographer know you're going to do it so they're ready to capture it.)

The button idea is cool too, see how long it takes for them to notice.
We've talked about this too! I'd like to have a photo of their reaction!

If you go the photo route, I have an idea...

If you can manage to separate from them for a period of time, go get ear hats embroidered with "Grandpa" and "Grandma" and present to them in front of the photographer. You could do the same with shirts, etc., but I thought ear hats would be cute since it's Disney.

I'm sure whatever you do will be great! Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth pregnancy! I went when I was pregnant, too (15 weeks), and then last month I was chasing an 18 month old around the parks! Time goes so fast!!! enjoy every minute!

If you go the photo route, I have an idea...

If you can manage to separate from them for a period of time, go get ear hats embroidered with "Grandpa" and "Grandma" and present to them in front of the photographer. You could do the same with shirts, etc., but I thought ear hats would be cute since it's Disney.

I'm sure whatever you do will be great! Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth pregnancy! I went when I was pregnant, too (15 weeks), and then last month I was chasing an 18 month old around the parks! Time goes so fast!!! enjoy every minute!

Thanks! I like that plan too - we'd talked about ears, but we aren't sure that its worth it, since at least the grandpas would be unlikely to wear them. (I had enough trouble getting DH to wear groom ears for the one day we were there on our way to our honeymoon! He gets it honest!) I'll put this on my list though! :) THank you!!!

Thanks! I like that plan too - we'd talked about ears, but we aren't sure that its worth it, since at least the grandpas would be unlikely to wear them. (I had enough trouble getting DH to wear groom ears for the one day we were there on our way to our honeymoon! He gets it honest!) I'll put this on my list though! :) THank you!!!

Can a Nana chime in? The ears are not for wearing. My husband would cherish those Grandpa ears and they would never be worn, but would represent a very special event and memory. Me? I would wear them, but they also would be among my favorite gifts. My DGD is 15, but we have every little thing she gave us since she was a sprite, and to this day she enjoys the "stories" we tell her about them. I bet the Grandpas will love sharing the ears story with your little one too.

I love the grandma/grandpa (or what ever they will be called) ears. I would secretly go have them made, or maybe find on etsy to have made before your trip. Have them in a bag (so they are easy to open), just tell the photo pass you are giving the grandparents a gift/surprise and capture the photo with the castle in the back ground. Even if they don't wear the ears they will cherish what they represent.

You'll have to report back and let us know what you decided to do!!

Congratulations!!!

I love the ears idea and the photopass photogs are great! They captured my birth announcement last time I was there in 2015. Specifically, a castle photographer asked if we could stick around a few minutes and she would take our pic with the castle show's fireworks going off!

That said, I'd separate from them and buy the ears, then just nonchalantly say "I got everybody ears for our castle picture!" as you are in front of the castle photographer. Of course, giving the photog a heads up would mean much better pictures!

Photoshop Mickey ears onto an ultrasound and have in printed at Walmart, CVS, etc. You can even add text about being a grandparent if you like. Ask a cast member to hand it to your parents when they get off a ride. Video it with your phone.

Can a Nana chime in? The ears are not for wearing. My husband would cherish those Grandpa ears and they would never be worn, but would represent a very special event and memory. Me? I would wear them, but they also would be among my favorite gifts. My DGD is 15, but we have every little thing she gave us since she was a sprite, and to this day she enjoys the "stories" we tell her about them. I bet the Grandpas will love sharing the ears story with your little one too.
I agree with this. If I were going to be told that I was going to be an aunt or something similar (no kids of my own yet) I would love to be given ears that say Aunt - I'd probably never wear them either but I would love to have them to keep as a sentimental gift.

I agree with this. If I were going to be told that I was going to be an aunt or something similar (no kids of my own yet) I would love to be given ears that say Aunt - I'd probably never wear them either but I would love to have them to keep as a sentimental gift.

Absolutely! My DH and I are pretty od when it comes to keeping sentimental things from the kids and our DGD, and the little girls on our street. I had to put a knock knack shelf in DH office to hold the decks of cards and "Grumpy" mugs he has been given and saves. I have files for the cards and pictures the kids give him that he likes to keep, along with their "artwork." I am as bad, so when my kids travel and bring me souveniers of foods, etc tehy have orders that we open it and use it. Those ears would be a treasure!

Hello!

My husband and I are going to WDW and stayed at AKL in August. I just found out I'm pregnant with our first child. So since I'm currently not very far, we wanted to wait to tell them until we get there. Hopefully everything will go well, but we're at a bit of a loss about how to tell them!

We're doing MK the day we get there. Husband isn't a fan of making a huge production, but I was thinking about going to get a "1st visit" pin and just pinning it on my shirt over the belly and seeing how long it takes them to notice. (This is pretty easy, since My husband's birthday and my mom's are both in august, so I can use that as an excuse to go in and get the buttons)

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm open to suggestion!
smile.gif
I think your button idea is great way to share your news. I love subtle hints like that! - Especially since you know your husband would be more comfortable with a low key celebration. You can always ask someone nearby to snap a picture of all of you after your wonderful news is shared.
Congratulations and have a fabulous trip!

That is true. They would keep them for sentiment, I think. :)

I love the grandma/grandpa (or what ever they will be called) ears. I would secretly go have them made, or maybe find on etsy to have made before your trip. Have them in a bag (so they are easy to open), just tell the photo pass you are giving the grandparents a gift/surprise and capture the photo with the castle in the back ground. Even if they don't wear the ears they will cherish what they represent.

You'll have to report back and let us know what you decided to do!!

Congratulations!!!

I'll be sure to post again when I come back and we've done it, if people want to see it!

True. The ears are also looking good..... Hmmm....

I saw a family take a group photo altogether, the couple went separately and took off the small shirt they had over the top of their other shirt that had the little mickey ears on the belly. They continued to take photos and it took the family a full minute of watching them before they realized. It was really cute!

How about going to a character meet and greet? That way its more private but the photopass photographer can capture the moments. If you talk to someone ahead of time they can help you set that up. Good luck!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I like the subtleness of the button idea, and being able to capture the moment in a picture is also great. Figure out how to best combine the two and I think you are in perfect shape. And have the ears ready for when they figure it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter