Tent camping August 3 for 4-8 nights. Too miserable?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
Would it be too hot and miserable to tent camp for 4-8 nights in early August? Seasoned tent campers, Texans, and former Floridians. We don't mind hot days, as there are plenty of places to cool off, but are the nights too miserable? We will likely be in the parks the whole time during the days, and swimming during breaks.

Tell me if I'm crazy. My daughter is about to go off for a year study abroad and we're feeling really sentimental, esp since FW is a place she considers a third home. But we've never been in summer and we generally camp in cold weather.

Would this be a fun last hurrah, or a stupid move?

VP

Oh boy. I would be miserable to be honest. August is brutal. Even the nights are hot. I'm not a tent camper though.

Definitely a NO for our family. There are tent campers there in August, so some people can take the heat and humidity.

Not sure what part of Texas you are in. If it is Eastern Tx, then you know what the weather will be like. Upper 90s with high humidity. Night time lows will be in the low 80s and the same humidity. Being used to it will make it manageable. A portable A/C would make sleeping do able.

j

Nights trying to sleep would be miserable IMO without portable AC. And the near daily 2pm thundershowers that last about 15-20 minutes. Things don't hardly dry out because of the humidity.

Honestly, a cheap offsite hotel room would be preferable with maybe one night of FW nostalgia with dinner at TE and the campfire singalong.

Bama Ed

I just booked for the third week in July in a tent. Its gonna be HOT but like you we will be in the parks or pools most days.

Not sure what part of Texas you are in. If it is Eastern Tx, then you know what the weather will be like. Upper 90s with high humidity. Night time lows will be in the low 80s and the same humidity. Being used to it will make it manageable. A portable A/C would make sleeping do able.

j

Being used to it sure doesn't make it manageable to anyone I know - certainly not to us!! Never have understood when people say that - born and raised in it, but not any easier to deal with now. If anything, worse, as we are all used to AC most of the time now - then, not at all.

Never have understood when people say that - born and raised in it, but not any easier to deal with now.
Ha ha. That sounds like DW and we are going to retire to the gulf coast. :-)

I mostly direct that comment at people up north (Minnesota, Canada) who think they have hard Summers. Growing up around it, you know what to expect. My new VP 2 years ago is from Boston and thought St. Louis weather would be similar. I said just wait until July. He thought he had moved to the equator. :D

j

Being used to it sure doesn't make it manageable to anyone I know - certainly not to us!! Never have understood when people say that - born and raised in it, but not any easier to deal with now. If anything, worse, as we are all used to AC most of the time now - then, not at all.

Oh, I disagree when it comes to kids! My kids are steamy-100% humidity-in-100 degrees-battle-tested. They know the misery of mosquitos and no-see-ums and putting bedsheets in the freezer all day to take out before bedtime because the a/c has gone out. :) We did live in FLorida for a while, too. BUT, you're right . Being used to it doesn't mean it's a good idea to vacation in it 24/7. We're booking a room! :)

About 10 years ago the kids and I camped in a civil war officers tent in August at the fort. It wasn’t bad. We had a small fan. we did rope drop and closed the parks. Really wasn’t in the tent a lot. Sambuster

DW and I tent camped last August, you should bring a a/c if you can.
A4D61435-DA91-4DB4-9383-31B2AB94CB4A.jpeg

I put the vent hose at the window and zipped the window close. The green bucket is catching the water from the a/c, had to be emptied everyday.

I have to agree with those saying that it would be brutal without any AC. At that time of year, it will probably still be in the 90s at 11pm-midnight so sleeping will be very difficult.

About 10 years ago, my family tent camped at FW in August w/o A/C. It was okay. I greatly prefer camping in the summer months with our portable A/C unit. However, we we survived just fine without one. The key is to stay busy and out of the tent during the day. The nights weren't bad. Good luck!

I've tent camped at FW with and without A/C. I enjoy too much going back to my resort & napping during the heat of the day, so I would vote NO for Aug. as well.

I will say, the trip we used the A/C, I even walled off half the tent to create an even smaller space to cool while we napped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter