• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tent camping help for beginners, please!!

I see some people (the women, of course) making eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc. -- what a mess to clean up ... especially if you have to heat the water to wash up the greasy pans!!!
DH and I have had an agreement since we started camping when our DD's were 4 years old. It is my vacation too, so he does all the cooking (all the foods mentioned above are his specialty) and I clean up. Since we use paper plates, just throw them in the trash. That just leaves utensils and pans. Before we sit down to eat, we send one of our DD's to get water. Put a large pan of water (think spaghetti size pan) on the camp stove to heat while you eat, and by the time you're done, it's ready to use. Not that big a deal.

Also, if you know anyone that has a hard car top carrier that you can borrow, we found out that it's a great place to store your food. If you lock it with a small padlock, it is totally racoon-proof. We would take it off the van, put it on the ground near the picnic table and store all our food inside. In the morning, we would see little footprints on top of the carrier, but nothing ever got inside. On the other hand, we once heard the people in the next campsite raising cain because the little critters had gotten into their cooler and trashed everything!

Keep the information coming, I'm taking notes! A couple quick questions that I am sure seem obvious to any of you:

how/where would I get a 2' piece of hose, by cutting 2' from the connecting end?

what do you do with your dirty water after cleaning dishes? is it acceptable to slosh it on the ground next to your campsite? is there typically a drain to pour it down? should I ask the folks at the next campsite? ;)

Thank you!
Peggy

I think I got mine at Camping world Walmart has a great camper section now. Just make sure that it the white drinking water kind (I don't know what this difference is but my dad's done it for yrs and that what he told me to get). I have a plastic 5 gal (ridgid) water "bucket" that I would use for drinking (we have a spring at home and I am picky abt water taste.) when we started together I looked at what I had in my kitchen and figured what I used the most . If your going to use the campfire or campstove the bottems will be black so find a set at a yard sale or thrift store that you don't have to worry abt. I too go surprised DH did the cooking and I get clean up. We too use paper for breakfast and lunches supper it depends on what's on the grill (steak and PP don't mix). My best invention was a piece of cardboard folded and taped around then stick 2 sharp knives in either end. Now Pampered chef has them with a carry case and built in sharpener. (I'm getting another set for the camper I always needed them when they're out there.) Shower/bath totes the kids use in college was another thing it held the silverware and condiments napkins and was easy to pack back in the bins. Make sure to have rice in your salt if you have humidity. I'll keep thinking and try to pick DH's bain if he's not alseep in the chair from sugaring season(as in maple syrup the real stuff)
have fun crusing through the camping sections in stores.
Christy

I purchased shower totes along with a "whale beach bag" from www.saltwatercanvas.com. Each family member has their own shower caddy and I carry the whale bag. Love those bags! They're mesh. Water, dirt, sand just flow through. I'm sure you could buy the same type bag elsewhere, but I fell into this and love them!

peg - tiggereyore mentioned you can get the various hoses you will need at any camping store. (most campgrounds have stores where you can get next to any camping need as well, but they drive up their prices.) As noted, if what you want this hose for is water intake (water that you will drink or use for cooking, cleaning etc) make sure it is a hose specified for drinking water. Drainage hoses may not conform to the same standards and may have a lining that would make the water taste funny.

house-of-princesses - good point. we each have our own shower caddy that holds soap, shampoo, quarters, washcloth, towel and any other shower house goodie. much easier to locate and transport.

- lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter