Thanksgiving cruise with Royal

orangecuse

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done a cruise on Thanksgiving with Royal? Things to look forward to?

We decided to book this and delay our next Disney cruise just because of itinerary/my boss asked me to switch which week I was taking off. We have done Celebrity (5), Carnival (4), Disney (1), and one Royal. Royal was far and away the worst BUT that was years ago and I think we just got bad luck because a lot of it was the makeup of the crowd on the ship. We are excited if not a wee bit hesitant to give Royal another shot!

Can you mention what made RC the last time around...you said you think it was the makeup of the crowd can you mention where that cruise left from and where it went, what ship, etc?

Where is this cruise sailing to/from, what ship what's the itinerary?

I think the recommendations and suggestions for things to look forward to would vary significantly based on your ship and itinerary.

@LSUfan4444 can’t remember the ship but not one with any ice rinks or water shows ect. (Like I said yearssss ago). It was a spring break type crowd - very loud and rude and drunk. It was spring break so our mistake. Eastern caribbean itenerary out of Florida.

All of the dining/shops were closed by 8pm and no activities during the day either like trivia or classes.

We know a lot of people who say Royal is better about all of the above nowadays!

We are on a 9nt Southeast coast and Bahamas on granduer

Grandeur is a smaller ship too so no water slides, water shows, ice rink, etc. The smaller ships normally have older clienteles because the larger ships offer more for families and kids. With that itinerary the crowd should be much different than the spring break crowd you experienced last time.

We are hopeful for the slower crowd!

I was hoping to get info on what to anticipate specifically related to the holiday on board.

There’s not really much to it...you’ll see traditional meal menu options an the day after you’ll see Christmas decorations.

did Thanks' week last year on OASIS and I don't recall anything special for the day other than turkey on the menu at dinner

while Royal is not our fav' line we are doing ADVENTURE OTS this year for Thanks' ... better than sitting at home and since we live near the port, costs can be quite reasonable. (6 nites for two with a balcony for $1400 including taxes and port fees)

Last year OASIS was 'family heavy' which is typical for holiday weeks IME

curiously I went with dd on LIBERTY OTS for one of her college spring breaks <out of Miami btw> and it was one of the dullest Royal cruises we'd ever experienced. The college kids either could not afford to drink, or ran out of gas pretty early!

Has anyone done a cruise on Thanksgiving with Royal? Things to look forward to?
We have cruised with Royal Caribbean several times, and they're our preferred line -- nice ships, reasonable prices. However, we have cruised at Thanksgiving, and I would not do it again. Why? The cost, weather and crowds.

Cost: I typically pick our cabin and reserve it as soon as the dates open. With every other cruise we've taken, I've watched the prices and have been able to watch for sales and call in for a price drop. Nope, this holiday cruise only went up-up-up. So it was the most expensive cruise we've ever taken.

Weather: We have always sailed in the fall, but usually in September - October - early November. Thanksgiving, in late November, was definitely colder. Admittedly, this might've been an unusually cold year. Few people used the pools onboard. At one point, my water-loving daughter was the only person in the pool, and she was slightly blue with chattering teeth. The weather in the islands, however, was pleasant and moderate; their beaches were nice.

Crowds: When we sailed at Thanksgiving, the ship sailed "above capacity". The ship is considered "full" if two people are in every stateroom. As you might expect, lots of staterooms on a holiday cruise contained 3-4 people because families were sailing with kids. Those extra passengers were very evident everywhere on the ship: the elevators and the buffet were more crowded, it took more time to disembark for island stops, the bars and shows and other activities had longer lines /were more crowded. The worst for us was the dining room: On the first day, we went into the dining room to search for our table ... couldn't find it. We asked help from the head waiter, who was on hand for just this thing. He explained to us that we weren't in the main dining room; rather, we were pushed out to the side to a small, low-ceilinged room that looked like it was designed for groups cruising together. We didn't like this at all -- we'd packed nice dinner clothes and were excited for nice meals, and it felt kind of like being banished to the kid's table -- and we asked to be moved to the main dining room. Nope, couldn't do it. He's the one who explained "above capacity" to us. (If you want to see this little room on a deck plan, we sailed Mariner, and the room was called something like Melodies.) The larger crowd definitely decreased our enjoyment of the cruise -- very disappointing. We all agreed that we will never again sail on a holiday.

Other notes: They switched formal night to coincide with Thanksgiving dinner. They did serve turkey (though they had other options too), and it was an excellent meal. They started putting up Christmas decorations while we were sailing, and that was fun to see.

It was a spring break type crowd - very loud and rude and drunk. It was spring break so our mistake.
Yeah, avoid spring break. Always. I suspect it would be overcrowded and expensive just like a holiday.

We are on a 9nt Southeast coast and Bahamas on granduer
I suggest you choose a ship other than Grandeur. It's one of their older ships, which means fewer amenities and older facilities.

Our Girl Scout troop cruised last Thanksgiving. It was a ship packed with families and the girls had a great time meeting people. We sailed out of Galveston and the weather was a little chilly on departure day and on the morning we returned. But the weather in the ports was wonderful.

Thanksgiving supper had several menu traditional options, but nothing beyond that. We woke up on Black Friday to beautiful decorations all over the ship. It was neat.

One problem encountered by the ship was that, with all the children onboard, they ran out of ketchup.

All in all, it was a really happy cruise and the other passengers were wonderful.

I suggest you choose a ship other than Grandeur. It's one of their older ships, which means fewer amenities and older facilities.

I think the Vision class is great for someone who doesnt want big crowds. It just had a refurb last year and not having things like a flow-rider, water slides, ice rink, etc is one thing (in addition to being smaller) that makes it appealing to some who want a less crowded and slower paced environment on their cruise. Newer, bigger and more things to do isnt necessarily a pre-requisite for a nice cruise.

Adventure OTS 6 nite from Lauderdale over Turkeyday is still showing a good number of rooms

We sailed the Anthem of the Seas last year for Thanksgiving out of NJ and we are going again this year.

There is really nothing special about Thanksgiving on the cruise. However, we did think the boat was excellent. We have cruised many times on DCL in the past (stopped due to bored with boats and outrageous prices). I think as a family we enjoy the Anthem cruise more than DCL. The entertainment is better overall on RCL. There is just so many more things going on the Anthem than any of the DCL ships. The pools and lido deck are so much better. The Solarium pool is just outstanding and is covered so that you can enjoy it up north. The cocktails are Manhattenesque. The only thing I didnt love is the main dining room food. It is ok. However, we loved Jamie's Italian. We ate lunch there every seaday, even though it cost $15/person + tip. We also loved the crowd of people.

I dont know if every RCL ship would be as good, but we are going to give them more of a try.

Joe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter