Thanksgiving Week?

disneycat321

DIS Veteran
How are the crowds typically during Thanksgiving week? Although we were local AP holders for a few years, we never went Thanksgiving week. In 2020, we’ll be with family in SoCal for Thanksgiving, so I’m thinking if we added a couple days before, that would be a great way to experience my favorite season at DLR.

FWIW, we went on Dec 22 (crazy crowded!) a few years ago and had a great time. We are DLR vets, rope droppers, and plan to always have park hoppers and MP. We do always avoid the time between Christmas and New Years, though, so extreme crowds do scare us a little bit.

Thanksgiving week is typically crowded, but not as bad as the week after Christmas. I go almost every year for the few days before Thanksgiving and it's generally manageable. This year, we'll be there on Thanksgiving. I think as long as you book your dining reservations in advance and use maxpass if you can, it'll be fine.

We were there Thursday-Saturday for Thanksgiving 2018 and it was fantastic. Crowded, yes, but not unmanageable, especially with MaxPass. We were a family of 10 (with an added friend on Thursday, so 11 that day) and managed to do pretty much every ride together on day 1 (Thanksgiving). We started splitting up on days 2 and 3. Everyone had a wonderful time.

I hadn't been to Disneyland in YEARS so I didn't realize how fast things booked up and didn't start trying to book TS reservations until like 3 or 4 weeks before we went. Even so, I managed to get good times (for us) at Minnie & Friends and Blue Bayou, the only ones we really cared about.

Thanksgiving at DLR is turning into a bit of a family tradition for us. We were there in 2016 & 2017, and will be going back this year. It is definitely crowded, but totally manageable, as mouchievous says.

Friday after Thanksgiving is the most crowded day by far. Especially DCA Friday night - that's about the only time we avoid due to crowds.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the responses! I’m glad to hear it’s not a horribly crazy time. Sounds like we should do it. :)

here is the concept to remember about Thanksgiving, the date moves around, making the the statement " I don't celebrate Christmas until after Thanksgiving" an unsound concept that drives retailers crazy and folks who visit Disneyland the week before the week of Thanksgiving happy. The folks who posted that 2018 was great, for indeed it was, thanksgiving was on the 22, creating an additional week for folks who celebrate after Thanksgiving very happy and opening up the first week of December for folks who visit that first week in December. This year 2019 changes all the Thanksgiving visiting history, as it is on the 28th, removing that whole week from last year for holiday celebrating. So now, all those folks who will have to visit during the week of Thanksgiving. It will be crowded, but being that you are DLR Vet and will be using maxpass, you will only notice the crowding while waiting in line for food.

We were there once for Thanksgiving week and we all swore never again. Way too crowded for us. Not just for rides but also food and restrooms

It is busy, but it is fun! Everyone's version of "crowded" is different. We go, we see family/friends, we relax, we eat, we hang out, we ride rides, we enjoy the holiday spirit. If you have a meal you MUST have, schedule it early.

here is the concept to remember about Thanksgiving, the date moves around, making the the statement " I don't celebrate Christmas until after Thanksgiving" an unsound concept that drives retailers crazy and folks who visit Disneyland the week before the week of Thanksgiving happy. The folks who posted that 2018 was great, for indeed it was, thanksgiving was on the 22, creating an additional week for folks who celebrate after Thanksgiving very happy and opening up the first week of December for folks who visit that first week in December. This year 2019 changes all the Thanksgiving visiting history, as it is on the 28th, removing that whole week from last year for holiday celebrating. So now, all those folks who will have to visit during the week of Thanksgiving. It will be crowded, but being that you are DLR Vet and will be using maxpass, you will only notice the crowding while waiting in line for food.

But there's mobile order for that! ;) Maybe we'll only notice in line for the bathrooms.

I kind of wondered about that - Thanksgiving is late again in 2020, so I definitely see what you're saying, and it makes sense that it would be less crowded if it was earlier, like 2018. However, a big factor is also the schools, and the week they have off doesn't change. I'm a teacher, so we're tied to that schedule as well.

We were there once for Thanksgiving week and we all swore never again. Way too crowded for us. Not just for rides but also food and restrooms

That's why there's MP and mobile order now, right? ;) I know it's a YMMV thing, and it depends on what you're used to. I'm a teacher, so I don't really even know what "slow" times at DLR are like. Once upon a time I lived in southern CA and taught at a year round school for a year...those off season weekday trips were magical. Oh, well. Maybe after I retire. :laughing:

However, a big factor is also the schools, and the week they have off doesn't change. I'm a teacher, so we're tied to that schedule as well.

That's why there's MP and mobile order now, right? ;) I know it's a YMMV thing, and it depends on what you're used to. I'm a teacher, so I don't really even know what "slow" times at DLR are like. Once upon a time I lived in southern CA and taught at a year round school for a year...those off season weekday trips were magical. Oh, well. Maybe after I retire. :laughing:

It's the same for us, with DS13. We're at the mercy of school holidays, which means the most crowded times only. We're not pulling him out of school to go to Disneyland.

That said, if you're used to peak times, as a teacher, you'll probably be fine. Park Hopper + MP + mobile order solve many first world problems :D

I agree that the crowds during Thanksgiving week are busy but manageable. Although, I do feel the crowd level on day after Thanksgiving was a bit lighter. Peeps doing that Black Friday thing. We’ve asked CMs and they’ve said the lowest crowd levels are the weekend after NYs. It’s just never worked into our schedule to travel to DL at that time.

We are thinking of going the week of Thanksgiving (W-Sun) as well. I know it will be busy, but some people have a different definition of busy depending on when they usually go to the parks. For those who have been how do the crowds compare to the early spring break crowds? We usually go around the second week of March, which last year was more crowded than normal How does Thanksgiving compare to spring break?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!