That Hippogriff coaster....or whatever it is called

Haystack

Earning My Ears
I'm new here, but I've been using your forums for info I figured I'd better join.

I have an odd question that may come off as rude but it's legitimate and not rhetorical I swear.

What is up with this ride? It's not that big of a deal. It's barely an upgrade from the dragon coaster they have at local carnivals.

So what is the appeal here? Why the constant waits of nearly an hour or more and why see that wait time and wait for that one?

Is that your opinion after riding it? Or have you not yet?
I think it’s just because it’s HP based.
Edited: Never mind. Lol.

Last edited:
Well, it's virtually identical to Goofy's Barnstormer and that has similar wait times.

There's a few things about this ride.

1. It's the only ride in the Harry Potter section that can be ridden by the entire family. The other two rides are 48" + to get on. So if you're in Hogsmeade with wee ones, it's the only attraction you can do.
2. It has low hourly capacity like many coasters this size

So couple the two together, and you have long wait times for it.

The ride existed before WWoHP was built. It's a kiddie coaster, that was rethemed. You get long wait times because the capacity is really low, like a local amusement park ride. But it's in a major theme park so there are enough kids (working their way up to more thrilling rides) and "ride everything" folks to generate a line.

There are some nice views, so we ride it once, whenever we have Express Pass.

Well, it's virtually identical to Goofy's Barnstormer and that has similar wait times.

There's a few things about this ride.

1. It's the only ride in the Harry Potter section that can be ridden by the entire family. The other two rides are 48" + to get on. So if you're in Hogsmeade with wee ones, it's the only attraction you can do.
2. It has low hourly capacity like many coasters this size

So couple the two together, and you have long wait times for it.

Ah.....that makes sense.
I was fortunate enough to visit The parks on some corporate occassions and for a school outing that had extremely minimal people. Maybe just a few thousand each time. We rode that coaster and then when I got a pass to the parks I happened to notice on the app it was always massive waits and it just made no sense after riding it before. I was thinking I missed something.

The ride existed before WWoHP was built. It's a kiddie coaster, that was rethemed. You get long wait times because the capacity is really low, like a local amusement park ride. But it's in a major theme park so there are enough kids (working their way up to more thrilling rides) and "ride everything" folks to generate a line.

There are some nice views, so we ride it once, whenever we have Express Pass.
I didn't realize that it was older. I hardly recognize the place. My buddy and I used to head down while we were at ucf a long time ago and wander the parks when tickets were really cheap.

It definitely looks different now.

I believe it used to be called The Flying Unicorn. It was part of The Lost Continent, along with Dueling Dragons. During the HP takeover they rethemed both. Of course, Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge is now gone.

I believe it used to be called The Flying Unicorn. It was part of The Lost Continent, along with Dueling Dragons. During the HP takeover they rethemed both. Of course, Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge is now gone.
Oh yeah! I remember now. Thanks for that.

I couldn't give 2 dragon eggs about Harry Potter but they sure did a good job with both areas. I've seen a couple of the movies and that is one of the best designed theme areas I've ever seen.

It may not be much of anything but it serves a purpose. Our 2 year old grand-daughter probably rode it 15 times while we were there before Christmas. It gives the littles something to do while others are doing the big people rides. If she could have, she would have ridden the big coasters. She cried when she found out she couldn't ride Hulk. Can't get her near Haunted Mansion but she wanted to ride Hulk, lol.

It may not be much of anything but it serves a purpose. Our 2 year old grand-daughter probably rode it 15 times while we were there before Christmas. It gives the littles something to do while others are doing the big people rides. If she could have, she would have ridden the big coasters. She cried when she found out she couldn't ride Hulk. Can't get her near Haunted Mansion but she wanted to ride Hulk, lol.
My 3 year old loves woody wood pecker coaster.
Granted I refer to it as "riding the pecker " .....my wife hates it when I say that to our pastor. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts