The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I guess that people are still reluctant to go to hospitals if they avoid it.
It is possible, but breaks my heart. We are seeing a lot of folks coming in much sicker because they've waited too long to come in for management of things like CHF and COPD, diabetes, etc... The old adage "A stitch in time..." comes to mind. The county I work in saw it's last death (one of only 7) on April 29th and 4 new cases since Wednesday, none needing hospitalization. The hospital is a very, very safe place to be and we need to have people taking care of things while they are manageable. :)

I have read them. :) It sure seems like there used to be a designated sub-forum for other places TRs in there, but I couldn't find it.
Nope. I remember searching a few years back and the Community board was the best I could come up with.
That's great! How long do you have to have those numbers before you can go back to normal life?
Are they saying?
It's already started. We, like a lot of places are in phase2. I'm not sure when the next phase will start. I guess they're watching to see what happens first?
Huh, that's interesting that a Provincial would supercede a Federal one. Makes things confusing for sure.
It's like your States, isn't it? Each State/Province has their own rules and regulations.
Well, you also went to Corning. ;)
Yes I did! That was such a terrific surprise. I had no idea it was going to be that amazing!
Ah, didn't catch that. I'll check the numbers for there now, and bet they are down and their peak is over.
No. The numbers there are horrific and getting worse. I believe... Brazil? is set to surpass Italy soon and is only going to be topped by the US.
I've never once had a good burger there. A good chili dog yes, but not a burger. I've heard DLuxe is pretty good but it's low in my list as burgers aren't my thing.
I've had one good burger there. It was at the Halloween party, actually. That was quite good. But that's about it. Every other burger has been "meh" at best.
Never been to Vegas after about age 7, but might go someday. The overly seedy nightlife doesn't float my boat (at least that's my perception)
If you look for it, I'm sure you could find the "seedy nightlife". Don't ask me where it is, though as I've only been 2-3 times.
(Well, except for the people on the sidewalks handing out "business cards" for call girls. But you just ignore them.)
but I would like to try my hand with $50 at a table sometime.
What table game interests you?
What DOES float my boat is the desert landscape and outdoors around Vegas. As I was flying in last time 2 weeks ago, I took this photo on final approach. Stunning outcroppings there with some cool trails around them.

ETA: I HATE how this platform destroys the definition and colors in my photos. This looks nothing like when I display it on my laptop from "photos".
Pretty shot, though!
Hey "S" has a strong showing.
No s... kidding.
I'm sure that'll happen at some point. :)
Probably. :)
Trust me. I'm immature in so many other ways.
Oh, I totally believe you.
Love the RBF.
:lmao:
I may never forgive Disney for destroying the Traditional Norwegain fare at Akershus. Such a shame. The herring in sour cream was to die for.
Yeah, that's a shame. I think the whole point of the WS is to showcase your country. And food is a big part of that. Can you imagine burgers and fries at Biergarten? Or hot dogs and onion rights at Takumi Tai?
I like Biergarten for the music more than anything. My pipe dream is to dance a polka on the dancefloor someday.
:)
Via will pale in comparison after I get the real deal in Naples this summer. ;)
That's gonna be amazing! Can't wait to read all about it.
And Teppan Edo review is coming up very soon. We LOVED our meal there.
popcorn::
Hidden Mickey? Well, actually, I thought you were refering to the way the chairs were arranged; the backs sort of make a loosy-goosey one. ;)
;)

WARNING, THIS ENTIRE CHAPTER IS A SPOILER. IF YOU ARE HUNTING FOR PASCALS, SKIP IT

I didnt even know this was a thing.

I found all 10 of the reported Pascals in the Tangled Tinkle Area.

Huh. I might have fun doing this....

She pointed out a little lizard on the tree and then explained that there was a Hidden Pascal Game to add a bit of fun to the area.

Definitely sounds fun.

They literally stared back at me like I had three heads and had no idea

I get that often as well.....I ended up skipping the last seven pictures since I'll probably try this next time we visit.

Have you done any of the non-attraction “extras” around the parks like hunts or collecting? Tell me about your successes or, if you don’t enjoy them, why not?

I'll answer this question with my replies to your next update.

Over the years, I’ve tinkered with Sorcerers of the Kingdom,

Yes, we did this on Main Street but never got farther than that.

Easter Eggs in DLR,

Have not done this one.

Figments and Remy’s during the EPCOT Festivals,

Yes, I have done these.

Pirates Adventures,

Nope. Haven't done that one.

and have done countless self-made scavenger hunts and challenges along various themes.

Nor have I done this.

They hand you the official guide and badge book and off you go. The challenge is to find the locations, do the accompanying activities, and collect all 31 Wilderness Badges

Hmmm...I've seen the outpost for this but never gave it much thought.

After what added up to a total of probably somewhere around 12 hours of hunting and doing, I became a Senior Wilderness Explorer and am seriously considering going as one for a Halloween Party someday.

Congratulations and sounds like a cute idea.

I’ve poured HOURS into booking trains, planes, and automobiles; finding and reserving AirBnbs, hotels, and Agrigtourismo places; developing my own walking and driving tours; and seeking out the more out of-the-way places to explore. In a nutshell, I’ll be spending 3 weeks in Rome, Tuscany including Florence, Venice, the Puglia Region, and Naples.

I'm not sure how you can be planning all this with what's been going on. I'm going to call DVC and see if we can talk our way out of our reservation at the Grand for 7/16-18 with no penalties. If not I'm going to look into selling (renting) the reservation. With all mine and Fran's issues, we are scared to death of all the virus transmitting people out there.

I guess you are younger and healthier so its not as big a deal, but we're staying put for the foreseeable future.

Z is for: Zero Cares in the World

Intentionally booking our stay at the Polynesian Resort at the end of our Disney Vacation, we had the time, and just enough lack of oomph left in us, to thoroughly enjoy our stay. I mean, common sense dictates that if you are going to book a deluxe resort you make time to truly spend time there and enjoy it. So, we did. Checking in was full of wonder and awe and as we entered the lobby we all did the commensurate ogling of the grand and exotic space. But the beauty does not stop there. Nor does the tropical vibe end with the Great Ceremonial House Tikis and orchids. Over the next 2 days our little family enjoyed much of what the Poly, as it’s affectionately known, offers, some of which I’ve already shared with you.

(We were NOT in Niue, but here's the Letter 'N' for my scavenger hunt. ;) )

One warm evening, while the kids were entrenched firmly on the beds in front of the boob-tube, bellies full of Maria and Enzo’s goodness, I took a stroll out onto the beach to watch the Electrical Water Parade. Such a kitchy little spectacle which makes my little old heart happy. Where else can you see a floating dragon glide by on a lagoon filled with alligators and fireworks to follow? As my toes dug into the soft sand heated by the Florida sun, all the cares of this world melted away like Olaf after a warm hug.

Since it was a no park day, there was no rush to be somewhere except to bed early. I was grateful indeed to find some much-needed rest after so many full and exhausting days of sunup-to-sundown touring at the parks. Unfortunately, sleep was elusive that night as the only awful part of our vacation intruded rudely into our slumber. For literally hours the family next door struggled with a screaming baby who after quite some time I actually became worried. Moms know when something is just… amiss. Chances are more than likely everything was fine, but the baby sounded sick. I mean this went on for HOURS (Maybe 4?) before I called the front desk. I politely asked if maybe someone could just go and check on them and ask if they needed some help in some way. Even my kids were fed up and thought something was wrong next door. I have no idea if anyone actually did go over to check, but eventually the baby quieted and we finally got a little bit of sleep. Luckily, it was late in the trip and we had plans to sleep in a bit and go to whatever park seemed like we wanted to end our trip with. That’s the beauty of long trips…

We ended up back at AK, our collective favorite park, and had a marvelous time.

That was the day I was able to have a quick meet with @Jenny Sanders and Joe. They, of course, were on the go. As were we. And even on last day, we were able to pack in a LOT, but mostly birds.

We squeezed in the new UP Bird Show, which was super cheesy, and not nearly as good as the one with Bwana Bob, and were completely geeked out over the Macaw Show. I had NO idea it was a thing, so it totally took us all by surprise as we just happened to be walking by when it started. Here are a few of my favorite shots:

To continue our theme of birds, we also ended up over at Rafiki’s Planet Watch and did one of the Animation Classes. I am in LOVE with this experience and could go every single trip.

Our "inspiration" for Zazu:

As a bonus there was an orthopedic surgery on a baby gorilla going on where they were fixing its leg. Best part for me? Seeing that the anesthesia machines are nearly identical to the ones we use at our surgery center. So that’s what I took pictures of. :rolleyes2

We called it quits after a short day and headed back to the Poly for naps and some pool time. Zero cares in the World….

About an hour? Two? Before sunset, the nightly Fire Dancer led the Tiki Torch Lighting Ceremony. Here is a video that another lady shot as I ran out of the room without my phone so I didn’t miss one second of it. I mean when you hear loud drumming, you know something good is about to happen, right? I can be rather brazen and asked this random lady if she could email me her video so I could have it to share with you. 😊 I did blame my rudeness on you all.

After Fire Twirler was finished, I headed to the laundry area and enjoyed an adult slushie drink with my toes soaking in the quiet pool while my clothes took their own dip. As the sun set, the most amazing colors exploded in the sky and it was fun to take a stroll around the resort a bit and just watch the changing scenes above me.

Just before it was completely dark, I bagged up my laundry and headed back to the room. I looked for my phone to charge it, and…

IT WASN’T THERE!

I hoofed it ran all the way back to the Laundry Room and it wasn’t there. Did I leave it at the pool? No, I wouldn’t have done that. I sprinted back to the room like I was about to miss a bus waiting at any Disney bus stop ever and went through all my bags, looked all over the room, bathroom, everywhere. What the HECK?! Sigh…. alright. (I KNOW you all know that knot you get in your stomach when this happens. And I KNOW this has happened to you too.) I started to put away my clothes and as I took out the last bit from the bottom of the bag, there was my phone in all its glory. I had slipped it into the bag to free up my hands so I could carry everything back to the room. Yes, I had looked in that bag. At least twice, in fact. Yes, I felt like an idiot more than usual. Odd how you can go from zero cares in the world to ALL the cares in the world over such a small little piece of plastic and metal.

When my heart rate and blood pressure normalized, it was time to order our dinner. Get ready, Folks, for the one, the only, the TWILIGHT FEAST!!

Instead of paying AYCE prices in the chaos of O’hana (which can be fun too), I opted to order the Twilight Feast which is the O’hana meal served room service-style straight to the comfort of your own digs. All the fixin’s. I tipped the server as he deposited the trolley with the most generous portions of salad, bread, meats, noodles, wontons, and bread pudding. It was FAR more than we could eat, but what we did, we really enjoyed. The kids ate while watching something on TV and I chose to sit on the veranda and take in all of the hubbub around the pool. Did I mention our room was RIGHT in front of the Volcano Pool?

I had splurged on a waterview room and that’s what we got. It was an amazing location for sure. I packed up the leftovers and added them to the pasta that was leftover from Maria and Enzo’s, all of which we either ate the next morning for breakfast by the pool or tossed.

The night was far from over. After dinner the common area beside the pool, steps from our room, came to life with a showing of Emperor’s New Groove, quite possibly our family’s favorite Disney Movie. It’s just so darned quotable. "Put your hands in the air, Yzma!" We grabbed a bag of the free popcorn and settled into the chairs we carried over from our veranda. I could kinda get used to that sort of resort stay.

About 1/3 of they way into Kuzco and Pacha’s Bromance, the showing took a pause for the fireworks visible over the lagoon. The crowd gathered on the sidewalks and on the beach and held up their phones to capture crappy video that will both: 1) not be very good and, 2) be something they will likely never watch again. I had my camera and took a few shots which also weren’t very good, and in the end gave up to just simply breathe in the moment and enjoy. I hoped that the guy-in-front-of-me’s O’hana meal was agreeing with him.

Soon after breakfast, the kids had to catch their DME back to the airport and say good-bye to another lovely Disney Vacation- which marked the beginning of my extended time in Florida. All in all, it was such a great vacation. Sure, like every family vacation, it had some ups and downs including crankiness and Teen ‘Tude Issues, but generally, we enjoyed each other’s company and made another batch of great memories. I still have a bit left that I can share, so stay tuned. I’m sorry the updates are coming slower these days; Just have some other things on my plate, including planning some other travel. 😉

Last edited:

Intentionally booking our stay at the Polynesian Resort at the end of our Disney Vacation,
Good planning. :)
I mean, common sense dictates that if you are going to book a deluxe resort you make time to truly spend time there and enjoy it.
I wouldn't know! this is why I book Values. :laughing:
I took a stroll out onto the beach to watch the Electrical Water Parade.
Niiice. :)
Such a kitchy little spectacle which makes my little old heart happy.
Me too!
Been a while since I've seen it though.
For literally hours the family next door struggled with a screaming baby
Oh, no. :(
who after quite some time I actually became worried. Moms know when something is just… amiss. Chances are more than likely everything was fine, but the baby sounded sick. I mean this went on for HOURS (Maybe 4?) before I called the front desk. I politely asked if maybe someone could just go and check on them and ask if they needed some help in some way.
Huh. I wonder if it was just a colicky baby or did someone go check and help?
We ended up back at AK, our collective favorite park, and had a marvelous time.
Pretty shot of you. :)
That was the day I was able to have a quick meet with @Jenny Sanders and Joe.
Always nice to sneak in a little DISmeet. :)
We squeezed in the new UP Bird Show, which was super cheesy, and not nearly as good as the one with Bwana Bob,
That's what I've been hearing.
and were completely geeked out over the Macaw Show. I had NO idea it was a thing,
I didn't either! I was (pleasantly) surprised when I saw them flying by.
Here are a few of my favorite shots:
You got some good ones!
did one of the Animation Classes. I am in LOVE with this experience and could go every single trip.
I enjoy doing that too. I don't know if I'd do it every trip... It's a long way to go... but it is fun.
As a bonus there was an orthopedic surgery on a baby gorilla going on where they were fixing its leg. Best part for me? Seeing that the anesthesia machines are nearly identical to the ones we use at our surgery center.
Cool!
So... lots of photos, but... none posted?
We called it quits after a short day and headed back to the Poly for naps and some pool time. Zero cares in the World….
Ahhhhh...
I mean when you hear loud drumming, you know something good is about to happen, right?
Or something ominous.
I'm thinking King Kong, 1976 version.
I can be rather brazen and asked this random lady if she could email me her video so I could have it to share with you. 😊 I did blame my rudeness on you all.
:laughing: Blame accepted!
And it was a fun video, too. So... worth it.
After Fire Twirler was finished
"Fire Twirler"
New official title. You should contact Disney to inform them.
I headed to the laundry area and enjoyed an adult slushie drink with my toes soaking in the quiet pool while my clothes took their own dip.
Nice turn of phrase there. :thumbsup2
I looked for my phone to charge it, and…

IT WASN’T THERE!
Again????
How often does this happen to you? I mean, how many times a month does this happen to you?
(I KNOW you all know that knot you get in your stomach when this happens. And I KNOW this has happened to you too.)
Yes, admittedly. Once.
I started to put away my clothes and as I took out the last bit from the bottom of the bag, there was my phone in all its glory.
Phew!
Yes, I felt like an idiot more than usual.
:rolleyes1
Get ready, Folks, for the one, the only, the TWILIGHT FEAST!!
Wow! Lots of food and it all looks very good!
Did I mention our room was RIGHT in front of the Volcano Pool?
I don't think so? But... Nice!
Emperor’s New Groove, quite possibly our family’s favorite Disney Movie.
I need to watch this again. I saw it once... a long time ago... and have forgotten almost all of it.
We grabbed a bag of the free popcorn and settled into the chairs we carried over from our veranda. I could kinda get used to that sort of resort stay.
:goodvibes
the showing took a pause for the fireworks visible over the lagoon.
Good reason to pause a show. ::yes::
The crowd gathered on the sidewalks and on the beach and held up their phones to capture crappy video that will both: 1) not be very good and, 2) be something they will likely never watch again.
1. Correct and;
2. Correct.
Sure, like every family vacation, it had some ups and downs including crankiness and Teen ‘Tude Issues, but generally, we enjoyed each other’s company and made another batch of great memories.
I'd say that qualifies as pretty darn good family time. :)
I’m sorry the updates are coming slower these days; Just have some other things on my plate, including planning some other travel. 😉
I noticed. :) No worries!

I love the electrical water parade! One of my favorites! It does put you in a good mood 😄
Awesome stay at the Poly, chilling, except for the loud baby 👶
I love all your pictures.
I left my phone on Dinosaur last year. I freaked out! Andi had to calm me down haha.
One of my absolute other favorite things about staying at the Poly is watching the fireworks from the beach.
Good idea to do the Twilight feast, looks yummy.

Nope. I remember searching a few years back and the Community board was the best I could come up with.

Guess I'll just see what they do with it. :)

It's already started. We, like a lot of places are in phase2. I'm not sure when the next phase will start. I guess they're watching to see what happens first?

So glad to hear that! ::yes::

It's like your States, isn't it? Each State/Province has their own rules and regulations.

I suppose so, except I haven't heard of any mandatory quarantines other than Hawaii being enforced. Heck, we've got protesters in masses on the streets, being encouraged to be out there en masse in fact, and that's HARDLY a quarantine scenario, is it?

Yes I did! That was such a terrific surprise. I had no idea it was going to be that amazing!

You did sound very enthused when you wrote your mini-TR on it!

No. The numbers there are horrific and getting worse. I believe... Brazil? is set to surpass Italy soon and is only going to be topped by the US

I'll take a peek. I'm sure they are being reported per capita.

I've had one good burger there. It was at the Halloween party, actually. That was quite good. But that's about it. Every other burger has been "meh" at best.

THE MEUNSTER BURGER!!! It had to be. It was SOOOO good!!

If you look for it, I'm sure you could find the "seedy nightlife". Don't ask me where it is, though as I've only been 2-3 times.
(Well, except for the people on the sidewalks handing out "business cards" for call girls. But you just ignore them.)

I am not going to go looking for that to be sure. :) But sure believe you that, and this is just perhaps my own preconceived notions, it wouldn't be hard to find. Or it to find you.

What table game interests you?

Poker and Black Jack.

Yeah, that's a shame. I think the whole point of the WS is to showcase your country. And food is a big part of that. Can you imagine burgers and fries at Biergarten? Or hot dogs and onion rights at Takumi Tai?
It is, or at least WAS, supposed to be. I think for the most part they've done well at keeping the spirit of the concept, but Akershus was a spectacular fail.

I didnt even know this was a thing.

Now ya do!
Huh. I might have fun doing this....

... and yes, I think you and Fran would have a lot of fun doing this!

I get that often as well.....I ended up skipping the last seven pictures since I'll probably try this next time we visit.

That's actually good! I think you'd enjoy this little detour.

Yes, we did this on Main Street but never got farther than that.

I can't seem to get past there either. Without a clear goal or prize, it's not as fun.

I'm not sure how you can be planning all this with what's been going on. I'm going to call DVC and see if we can talk our way out of our reservation at the Grand for 7/16-18 with no penalties. If not I'm going to look into selling (renting) the reservation. With all mine and Fran's issues, we are scared to death of all the virus transmitting people out there.

I guess you are younger and healthier so its not as big a deal, but we're staying put for the foreseeable future.

I've chosen to just go on living life and doing stuff. I understand if you're immunocompromised it's good to be very cautious, but now, especially with the news that asymptomatic carriers have a very low risk of passing it along, it's time to get back to phased, but progressive openings in 2 week incements.

Guess I'll just see what they do with it. :)
::yes::
I suppose so, except I haven't heard of any mandatory quarantines other than Hawaii being enforced. Heck, we've got protesters in masses on the streets, being encouraged to be out there en masse in fact, and that's HARDLY a quarantine scenario, is it?
Nope.
THE MEUNSTER BURGER!!! It had to be. It was SOOOO good!!
So there was one burger that you liked.
I am not going to go looking for that to be sure. :) But sure believe you that, and this is just perhaps my own preconceived notions, it wouldn't be hard to find. Or it to find you.
Perhaps. I haven't been that many times. But maybe you know best.
Poker and Black Jack.
Ah. Very different.
It is, or at least WAS, supposed to be. I think for the most part they've done well at keeping the spirit of the concept, but Akershus was a spectacular fail.
:sad2:

I mean, common sense dictates that if you are going to book a deluxe resort you make time to truly spend time there and enjoy it.

It'd be a shame not to.

As my toes dug into the soft sand heated by the Florida sun, all the cares of this world melted away like Olaf after a warm hug.

The Polynesian has that effect...

For literally hours the family next door struggled with a screaming baby

That's a bummer. I found the Poly beds to be pretty comfortable, but sometimes the background noise can totally distract from the coziest of places. I also wonder why the parents didn't take the baby out of the room. Landon is the worst sleeper known to man, and there were several times on trips that we had to take him down to the lobby to walk him around. :confused3

(I KNOW you all know that knot you get in your stomach when this happens. And I KNOW this has happened to you too.)

Uh oh. Glad the phone was found safe and sound.

I opted to order the Twilight Feast which is the O’hana meal served room service-style straight to the comfort of your own digs.

I didn't know about this option. This seems like a great alternative and definitely makes leftovers easy.

I mean, common sense dictates that if you are going to book a deluxe resort you make time to truly spend time there and enjoy it. So, we did.
You would think that most people would do this but it seems like that isn't always the case. We find that the more time spent at our resort the more we enjoy our vacation. :)
I took a stroll out onto the beach to watch the Electrical Water Parade. Such a kitchy little spectacle which makes my little old heart happy.
I always try to watch the EWP when staying at a MK area resort. It brings back memories of when we were young parents with our young kids watching the EWP from our resort back when MK was the only park in WDW. :)
the baby sounded sick. I mean this went on for HOURS (Maybe 4?)
That is a really long time for a baby to cry. I would have been awake the entire time, worrying about the baby. Was it obvious that the parents were in the room, too?
We squeezed in the new UP Bird Show, which was super cheesy, and not nearly as good as the one with Bwana Bob, and were completely geeked out over the Macaw Show.
We watched this show and it was cheesy, but interesting. They have a similar show at the St. Louis Zoo.
did one of the Animation Classes. I am in LOVE with this experience and could go every single trip.
We have done a couple of these classes and I am terrible at it. But I still enjoy them. :)
Before sunset, the nightly Fire Dancer led the Tiki Torch Lighting Ceremony.
I had no idea that they used to do a Tiki Torch Lighting Ceremony. It would be more dramatic if it was darker out, though.
Odd how you can go from zero cares in the world to ALL the cares in the world over such a small little piece of plastic and metal.
Actually, most cell phones are small computers and small cameras and hold an awful lot of our important stuff. Did you think about having someone call your cell phone so that you could hear it ring? You could have called from your resort room phone, too.
Did I mention our room was RIGHT in front of the Volcano Pool?
Were you disappointed that you did have a lagoon view room? We booked a water view room at the Yacht Club for October and I will be very upset if we are looking at the quiet pool.
the TWILIGHT FEAST!!
That looks delicious and totally worth it. :)
We grabbed a bag of the free popcorn and settled into the chairs we carried over from our veranda. I could kinda get used to that sort of resort stay.
That is a nice little plus to having the Volcano pool view. Some resorts only have seating on the ground, but it is nice to have real chairs as an option.

Since you're cranking out updates like I cant keep up, I'll forgo the multi quoting for this one.

Good job on finding all the Remys! I know the years we did it there were a few pretty tricky ones.

Which Pride and Prejudice are you referring to? The BBC version from the early 80s? Or the one that played in theaters with more popular actors?

Nice cup you got in the end. When we did it you got the option to buy a pin set. I like the cup better.

Disney Parks in fact, have become quite a food Mecca in the last decade

Actually I've thought that since my second visit in 1997...

From sushi to Schoolbread, and strudel to souvlaki

Where do you find souvlaki????? Fran would be all over that!

At any given time of the year, one can choose from Signature sit-down meals of exquisite quality

I read something online that with WDW reopening the signature restaurants won't be part of the first phase.

As usual, I requested a waterside table, but it really wasn’t necessary. The place was practically empty! That’s not always a good sign,

We ate there once (outside of a special event) and it was pretty dead too. I think you've nailed it on the reason. People are afraid of strange food. In fact when they opened the small plates menu featured Merguez (a yummy lamb sausage). Shortly thereafter they changed it to "Moroccan Lamb Sausage". I pointed this out to our server and she didn't believe me. I had to point it out in the menu.

We were indeed seated right along the water which was actually both a blessing and a curse. While it was very beautiful with the unobstructed view of the lagoon, it was also freezing!!!

I've never sat outside, but the inside tables have a lovely water view without the breeze.

We figured if we got 4 small plates we could all share and try the various flavors.

I like how there is something for everyone. I would not enjoy hummus fries, cause I don't like chickpeas. Wish I did, so many things that are popular are made with them. Not a fan of grape leaves either a little too bitter for my taste. Brie is good, but there are better things, IMO.

But bring on those shrimp! They have served them as the first course for the Mediterranean lunches we did there during F&W and they are stellar! We also had the lamb as part of our lunch, from the prices you quoted, sounds like we got quite a deal for $99 including four courses and four glasses of wine!

Personally (and I'm going to tell you this regardless of whether you care, because I feel like I'm out of practice ordering from a menu) Fran and I would have gone with the shrimp, the Merguez, the Calamari and the Harissa Chicken. If we were still hungry maybe the Brie, or maybe just picked up some dessert at Les Halles.

I wish I could tell you I checked out the indoor seating options; we might very well have been more comfortable sitting at a window table there.

I can tell you that you would have been! 😂

Which of the non-signature TS places in WS have you been to? Which was your favorite and which was your least favorite and why?

See below

9 Dragons
San Angel
La Hacienda
Akershus
Biergarten
Teppan Edo
Tokyo Dining
Via Napoli
Tutto Italia
Marrakesh
Spice Road
Rose and Crown
Chefs de France

San Angel
I've eaten here a few times and every time it's been just great! Love the atmosphere, the food is bomb and the margaritas are strong! What's not to love?

La Hacienda
I've only been here for the Tequila lunch pairings, but from what I've had at those, I would love to come back for a regular menu meal!

Biergarten
Ate here once. It was good, but we have an excellent German restaurant in Anaheim and I would much rather order off a menu than at a buffet. All I really want is some sausages, Wiener Schnitzel, and spaetzle. Oh yeah and their brown bread!

Teppan Edo
Been here a few times as well, but I realized about 10 years ago, I can do this at home, well used to be able to....not sure if we will see these coming back unless your whole party takes a table. Which Fran and I have done by ourselves before....

Tokyo Dining
It's also been a long time since I've been to this one as well, simply because we have plenty of good Japanese restaurants at home. In fact my favorite place to order delivery from is a Thai/Japanese place where I can get sushi and Pad Thai all in one spot!

Via Napoli
Everyone raves about the pizza at Via Napoli, but actually for me I prefer the other stuff on the menu. I love Arancini and the first time we went there that was a big draw for me. The last time we went there we got the Pasta e Fajoli and Lasagne Verde which were both also excellent. Now I want to go back!

Tutto Italia
I've eaten here, but honestly it was so long ago I don't even remember.

Marrakesh
This one is great! Another that you almost don't need a reservation because everyone is afraid of the weird food, but it's so good! I love Moroccan Cuisine!

Spice Road
I think I've already espoused on this one! It's certainly up there among my favorites.

Rose and Crown
It's been a long time since I ate here. It used to be on the top of our list, we would have a late reservation for dinner and stay to watch Illuminations. They used to let you wait for a better table, but the last time we went there, they told us "take it or leave it". It was a crappy table and got Fran in a foul mood. We haven't been back. Then again we have some pretty good British places available to us here in So Cal as well.

Chefs de France
This is another favorite of ours, but I just don't have the capacity to eat everything that I want here!

So I suppose I would say it's a toss up between Spice Road Table, Via Napoli and Chefs de France, with San Angel in a close runner up space....so many restaurants so many choices!

I mean, common sense dictates that if you are going to book a deluxe resort you make time to truly spend time there and enjoy it. So, we did.

I would agree with this. If I ever make it to a Deluxe Resort I will make sure to schedule some downtime to enjoy it.

One warm evening, while the kids were entrenched firmly on the beds in front of the boob-tube, bellies full of Maria and Enzo’s goodness, I took a stroll out onto the beach to watch the Electrical Water Parade. Such a kitchy little spectacle which makes my little old heart happy. Where else can you see a floating dragon glide by on a lagoon filled with alligators and fireworks to follow? As my toes dug into the soft sand heated by the Florida sun, all the cares of this world melted away like Olaf after a warm hug.

Sounds so nice. Perfect evening.

Lovely photo of you!

As a bonus there was an orthopedic surgery on a baby gorilla going on where they were fixing its leg. Best part for me? Seeing that the anesthesia machines are nearly identical to the ones we use at our surgery center. So that’s what I took pictures of. :rolleyes2

How cool! I never catch anything remotely interesting when we go there.

Just before it was completely dark, I bagged up my laundry and headed back to the room. I looked for my phone to charge it, and…

IT WASN’T THERE!

:scared1:

I know that feeling.

I'm so glad you found it. Just think of all the calories you burned frantically searching for it.

Get ready, Folks, for the one, the only, the TWILIGHT FEAST!!

This looks sooooo good. Do you have to order room service to get it?

Really enjoyed this update.

Hi Liesa! I'm back! Or at least, I'm working on being back. I'm starting to get caught up here as well...

************ WARNING, THIS ENTIRE CHAPTER IS A SPOILER. IF YOU ARE HUNTING FOR PASCALS, SKIP IT.*************

Thanks for the heads up! I skim-read most of it, but skipped most of the pictures. Trying to keep the mystery alive!

I adore how they get me into places in the parks I might otherwise overlook or pass by, and I love how they help me notice the details that so much time and thought have gone into.

Totally! I know this about you, and I completely agree. :)

Ready to become a Wilderness Explorer with me? “The wilderness must be explored! CA-CA! RAAWWRR”.

Yay!

It’s free and easy to start! The only cost will be time. A lot of time.

:rotfl:
Yes, it's definitely time consuming. We didn't finish it. I'm very impressed that you did!

There’s something wholly gratifying in applying the little stickers throughout the Handbook that scratches my Accomplishment Bone. Silly for sure.

I think it's awesome!

spend pretty much the entire time mapping out my September trip to Italy. I’ve poured HOURS into booking trains, planes, and automobiles; finding and reserving AirBnbs, hotels, and Agrigtourismo places; developing my own walking and driving tours; and seeking out the more out of-the-way places to explore.

Fantastic! I hope everything goes perfectly and you have a wonderful trip! I don't remember if you said anything about it on Facebook or not, but are you planning a visit to the Trevi Fountain while in Rome? After the Piazza Navona, it was my favourite place :) You'll have the most amazing time!

Once in the park at various locations, you can purchase a map that comes with stickers for each Remy you find. It’s not expensive in the grand scheme of things, and for $6.99 (less if you’re an AP holder) you get the map and stickers and you’re on your way!

This is neat! I haven't done this one, but I enjoyed reading about it!

I headed towards FW and started in Canada because that’s the best way to make a WS circuit. 😉

Agreed.

Here’s to you Remy… thanks for the memories!

Cute! I like the cup you ended up with!

One kid doesn’t like raw tomato, one hates fish, and another despises mushrooms, but that is easy to work with.

Pretty minor things to work around. I used to be very very picky growing up, but I've gotten much better as I've gotten older. Now aside from dietary restrictions, I'll try almost anything unless it has a lot of raw onions.

The hightlights of the meal were the small plates. Everything we had was so, so good!!

These all looked so good!!!

but I still wish Disney hadn’t let Mo’Rockin’ go. What a tragedy.

Couldn't agree more! They were my favourite WS entertainment.

Which of the non-signature TS places in WS have you been to? Which was your favorite and which was your least favorite and why?

9 Dragons
San Angel
La Hacienda
Akershus
Biergarten
Teppan Edo
Tokyo Dining
Via Napoli
Tutto Italia
Marrakesh
Spice Road
Rose and Crown
Chefs de France

La Hacienda
Akershus
Teppan Edo
Rose and Crown
Chefs de France

Hard to choose a favourite, but I think maybe Rose and Crown by a small margin. The view from the outdoor patio seating is lovely, and we've just tended to have really nice meals there and good service (aside from when we went for a fireworks dining package, but I think that was just because of the restricted menu.) But we've had good experiences at most of these. I'd say Chefs de France was my least favourite due to limited allergy options

(We were NOT in Niue, but here's the Letter 'N' for my scavenger hunt. ;) )

I have no idea if anyone actually did go over to check, but eventually the baby quieted and we finally got a little bit of sleep.

Hopefully there wasn't any kind of major issue going on, but always good to be safe. And I'm glad that eventually you all got some sleep!

We squeezed in the new UP Bird Show, which was super cheesy, and not nearly as good as the one with Bwana Bob

Agreed.

To continue our theme of birds, we also ended up over at Rafiki’s Planet Watch and did one of the Animation Classes. I am in LOVE with this experience and could go every single trip.

Also agreed! This is a really great offering.

Best part for me? Seeing that the anesthesia machines are nearly identical to the ones we use at our surgery center. So that’s what I took pictures of. :rolleyes2

Neat!!

KNOW you all know that knot you get in your stomach when this happens. And I KNOW this has happened to you too.

Yes, I know this feeling well.

Sure, like every family vacation, it had some ups and downs including crankiness and Teen ‘Tude Issues, but generally, we enjoyed each other’s company and made another batch of great memories.

That's all you can ask for! What a great family you've got. Seems like you really travel together well. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures!

I wouldn't know! this is why I book Values. :laughing:

LOL!! But, aside from Covid, you're an AP Holder.... time to stop and smell the roses!

Me too!
Been a while since I've seen it though.

I dont' need to see it very often, but once in a while it's pretty fun.

Huh. I wonder if it was just a colicky baby or did someone go check and help?

I really don't know, but it wasn't a good situation for anyone involved. It's stressful for parents, or should be, and for everyone around him.

Pretty shot of you. :)

Why thank you!

Always nice to sneak in a little DISmeet. :)

::yes::

I didn't either! I was (pleasantly) surprised when I saw them flying by.

Aren't they the most amazing?! So colorful and fun to watch.

I enjoy doing that too. I don't know if I'd do it every trip... It's a long way to go... but it is fun.

I think there's enough to see when I head over there (not to mention train rides never get old). The last time I was out there, I caught a super cool up close and personal Owl Show, saw surgeries not once but twice (the other one was a tendon repair on a Baby Springbok), and did the drawing a couple times.

Cool!
So... lots of photos, but... none posted?

The anesthesia is there and I posted 2 photos? It's up at the head of the OR table :) No, I didn't get any of the gorilla, as I'd gone for the drawing class thinking they'd still have him on the table, but they were already done by the time we finished. The Gorilla surgeon must be as fast as our plastics guy who does b00bs at work. :rolleyes2

Or something ominous.
I'm thinking King Kong, 1976 version.

:scared:

:laughing: Blame accepted!
And it was a fun video, too. So... worth it.

It was such a fun thing to finally see for myself. I have gone to the Poly specifically to see it in the past, and have missed every single time.

"Fire Twirler"
New official title. You should contact Disney to inform them.

Yes, yes, I should.
Again????
How often does this happen to you? I mean, how many times a month does this happen to you?

I know... it's a problem.

I need to watch this again. I saw it once... a long time ago... and have forgotten almost all of it.

It's so darn funny!

I'd say that qualifies as pretty darn good family time. :)

I love the electrical water parade! One of my favorites! It does put you in a good mood 😄

It reminds me of the MSEP a bit with happy, happy music!

Awesome stay at the Poly, chilling, except for the loud baby 👶

Yeah, that part wasn't very fun!

I left my phone on Dinosaur last year. I freaked out! Andi had to calm me down haha.

I remember that! YIKES!! I remember Andi talking you off the ledge on that one. LOL!

One of my absolute other favorite things about staying at the Poly is watching the fireworks from the beach.

I have in the past picked up some sushi from the Kona Cart and staked out a nice chair on the beach to watch the parade and then the fireworks in a really comfy place.

Good idea to do the Twilight feast, looks yummy.
It was really a great value for what we got and the best part was that we could watch a movie or sit on our lovely veranda and have a quieter experience.

So there was one burger that you liked.

Yes. I have had one years ago at Pecos Bills when they still had the enormous fixin's bar (which is probably never going to make a re-appearance now :( ) that was pretty good too. But then again, fake cheese sauce can fix just about anything.

Ah. Very different.

I don't know really! I don't know any of the strategies at all nor how to play the game at a real table. I've had plenty of family games and such, but... :confused3

It'd be a shame not to.

It's just a lot of money if you're only going to use it as a bed.

The Polynesian has that effect...

:cloud9: 🥥🏝
That's a bummer. I found the Poly beds to be pretty comfortable, but sometimes the background noise can totally distract from the coziest of places. I also wonder why the parents didn't take the baby out of the room. Landon is the worst sleeper known to man, and there were several times on trips that we had to take him down to the lobby to walk him around. :confused3

It can be a bit noisy for sure. The last time I stayed there it a quite a bit quieter in a building off the main area. It wasn't terrible this time, I guess my only complaint was the baby.

Uh oh. Glad the phone was found safe and sound.

You'd think I'd be used to this by now. :rolleyes:

I didn't know about this option. This seems like a great alternative and definitely makes leftovers easy.

It's such an economical way to feed the family as you can get away with ordering for 2, and I should have said this in the chapter (will edit) that that was an order FOR 2 PEOPLE!!! That order for 2 diners was more than enough for all 4 of us!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter