The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I started a PTR, that will turn into a full-blown TR, for my Italy Trip. I couldn't really find a sub-forum for trips like this, so it's here where my Tribe is. Hopefully you'll join in!
Absolutely!
When I first proposed this trip to my family and presented the options of places to eat on our EPCOT days, this was the unanimous pick. Who was I to say no? I love Middle Eastern food!
Me too!
The hightlights of the meal were the small plates. Everything we had was so, so good!! I am SO happy they have the hummus fries on the menu as they are one of my perennial favorites from the F&W Festival.
I tried those and didn't love them but maybe I got a bad batch. The stuffed grape vine leaves were my favourite!
Teppan Edo
Teppan Edo was one of our first Disney meals back in 2009 and was an one and done for us. I'd rather do Tokyo Dining or Takumi Tei.
Via Napoli
Love, love Via Napoli!!! I had the Carofci white pizza and still dream about it.
Spice Road
Rose and Crown
Chefs de France
Love Chefs de France, we had such a great meal there. Jamie tried Lobster Bisque for the first time and Stuart worked up the courage for escargot. Spice Road was ok, like you, I would probably go for a beverage and small plates. I would have to have someone offer me huge sums of money to go back to Rose and Crown ever again and even then, I probably wouldn't do it. Yes, it was that bad.

I love the outdoor dining space that they built for Spice Road. It is probably perfect on a little bit warmer day. :)

9 Dragons
San Angel
La Hacienda
Akershus
Biergarten
Teppan Edo
Tokyo Dining
Via Napoli
Tutto Italia
Marrakesh
Spice Road

Rose and Crown
Chefs de France

My favorite is San Angel Inn because of the food. I'm not too fond of the close tables, though. DH likes Rose and Crown. We have eaten at La Hacienda several times and sometimes it was a good experience and other times it wasn't. Via Napoli is not a favorite because it is so noisy and overpriced for what you get. The one we won't go to again is Biergarten, mostly because DH hates it.

EPCOT’s WS has perhaps the best concentration of the finest array of out-of-the-box options anywhere. From sushi to Schoolbread, and strudel to souvlaki, you’ve got it.

Variety is the Spice of Life.

It didn't take long for my "kids" to start acting like immature barbarians. Here they are spitting spitwads at each other:

Kids will be kids especially on vacation.

San Angel
Biergarten
Teppan Edo
Via Napoli

I've had these so there are a bunch I haven't had. I don't really have a favorite of these. I really need to try some more.

I enjoyed your review. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to try it.

I love the hummus fries, so yummy.
The small plates and the lamb dinner look very tasty.
It is easier to name the 2 restaurants I haven’t been to
Marrakech and Tutto Italia. I have been to all the others and really each one has been good. Some are definitely better than others and I would return to.

Sorry I have fallen behind! But I enjoyed catching up! :surfweb:
I love Teppan Edo. It is great for the kids and they eat their vegetables! The chefs are always fun to watch, too! I would like to try one of the restaurants in Morocco when we go in November. Our kids are like yours... they are used to eating a wide variety of food from various parts of the world, and they are used to various spices and seasonings. Hopefully we make it there!

Hey Everyone, work weeks are very, VERY busy for me. This is a good thing. For months I had worried about getting ENOUGH hours with such a tenuous situation at medical facilities. The truth is, most hospitals and surgery centers were very very empty with hardly ANY patients. Many of my friends were laid off and even now, both places I work are struggling to re-boot after all of this. But now, we full-timers are back to work and since we have fewer cases I am having to work shorter days, but more of them.

My point is, replies are going to be slow during the week. Be patient with me and look forward to chatter and replies on the weekends. :)

Last edited:
Long time lurker, I think first time poster? Anyway I love your reports and I'm really pleased to hear life is slowly crawling back to normal for you. Gives me hope. Look forward to your updates!

Yes, I have a few there.

I have read them. :) It sure seems like there used to be a designated sub-forum for other places TRs in there, but I couldn't find it.

I think... here? The mods will move it to a better spot if need be.

I"m sure they will if necessary. :)

Saw that. :) But haven't read it yet. Need to read this update first. :)

And you did. ::yes::

Yup. No new cases for a while. We're down to 9-10 active cases with (I think) zero in hospital.

That's great! How long do you have to have those numbers before you can go back to normal life?
Are they saying?

Well... yes and no.
The federal guideline is no, if travel is within Canada. The Provincial guideline is yes, if travel is outside the province.

Huh, that's interesting that a Provincial would supercede a Federal one. Makes things confusing for sure.

I do! Surprised you remembered that.

Well, you also went to Corning. ;)

Um... that comment was about South America. Cases are rising there (or were as of yesterday, I didn't check today.)

Ah, didn't catch that. I'll check the numbers for there now, and bet they are down and their peak is over.

:laughing:
Not necessarily, if the burgers are good. Unfortunately, I've seldom encountered (if ever?) a good burger at Disney.

I've never once had a good burger there. A good chili dog yes, but not a burger. I've heard DLuxe is pretty good but it's low in my list as burgers aren't my thing.

::yes::
That makes me think of Vegas, actually. Back in the late 80s/early 90s, Vegas tried to make itself over into a family destination. Obviously that failed spectacularly. But it did reinvent itself as a foodie destination. And I see Disney following along in that successful endeavor.

Never been to Vegas after about age 7, but might go someday. The overly seedy nightlife doesn't float my boat (at least that's my perception) but I would like to try my hand with $50 at a table sometime. What DOES float my boat is the desert landscape and outdoors around Vegas. As I was flying in last time 2 weeks ago, I took this photo on final approach. Stunning outcroppings there with some cool trails around them.

ETA: I HATE how this platform destroys the definition and colors in my photos. This looks nothing like when I display it on my laptop from "photos".

And even food from the rest of the alphabet!

Hey "S" has a strong showing.

Ah! I've wanted to go there for many years. Probably about... 13 years now.

I'm sure that'll happen at some point. :)

Nice.

Or... so I thought when you first wrote that.

yeah... brrr!

:lmao:
And you didn't join in? Party pooper!

Trust me. I'm immature in so many other ways.

Your daughter looks completely thrilled at being a target.

Love the RBF.

So... fish basted in a mushroom tomato sauce is not gonna happen.

That would be a hard NO.

I think I tried them? Maybe? I don't remember for sure now.

Just the right amount of spicy and crunchy yum.

Good to know. Although I would probably have stuck with just small plates. That's what I have written down in my Disney wish list. It's one of the first things I'd put on it.

Knowing your tastes, I think you'd super enjoy them. All of them.

Nice shot of the "kids". :)

Thanks!
Of all of those... I've only been to Akershus, Biergarten, Teppan Edo and Via Napoli.
Akershus doesn't really count since we went when they had the princess breakfast with the Norwegian food, which they no longer serve. I liked it at the time, though.
Biergarten was pretty good, but I've had better German buffets elsewhere.
Via Napoli was a big disappointment. People rave about the pizza and I found it mediocre at best.
Teppan Edo was the clear winner. I've been 2-3 times and always had good food and usually a fun chef, too.

Oh. And I didn't see a hidden Mickey in Spice Road. How long did you look for one?
Yes. I am evil.

I may never forgive Disney for destroying the Traditional Norwegain fare at Akershus. Such a shame. The herring in sour cream was to die for.

I like Biergarten for the music more than anything. My pipe dream is to dance a polka on the dancefloor someday.

Via will pale in comparison after I get the real deal in Naples this summer. ;)

And Teppan Edo review is coming up very soon. We LOVED our meal there.

Hidden Mickey? Well, actually, I thought you were refering to the way the chairs were arranged; the backs sort of make a loosy-goosey one. ;)

Last edited:
This alone is making me hungry and longing for Epcot time...the schoolbread is the absolute best...hmmm maybe with all this time on my hands I could actually try to make it lol...I'm not sure I could replicate that custard/creamy goodness that is on the inside...

I think that might be a time consuming one to try at home. But if you do, PLEASE post a photo!!
I actually have a fairly varied taste for ethnic food, but during a theme park visit I had never thought to try this place...but that Brie...looks AMAZING...I would go for that I think...

It was soooo good. So creamy and perfect!

Of all of these actually the only ones I have tried is Via Napoli, which we loved, and Rose and Crown, which I also loved, especially for the view at night. We had La Hacienda on the agenda for our March trip...and I was looking forward to it, but...we all know what happened there....sigh...

I keep wanting to try the Quattro Fromagio (?) pizza there but as for R&C? I will never go there again. My very first time there years ago was fantastic. The last 2 times were abominable- bad food and worse service. :( Not tried Hacienda either.... still have a ways to go on my food list.

Would love to try Biergarten and Chefs de France at some point...but I wonder how these experiences may change until there's a COVID vaccine...we shall see.
I've done Biergarten twice but have never tried Chefs. It has always looked so cramped and busy in there and Mr. Paul has treated me so well. As for changes now... I just don't know if any of us will know until it's all unveiled, and if it's anything like MY work, there will be changes every single day.

I tried those and didn't love them but maybe I got a bad batch. The stuffed grape vine leaves were my favourite!

I think the oil has a lot to do with them... well any fried food for that matter. The ones I've gotten have been good with just the right amount of kick. I'd totally get the grape leaves again for SURE.

Teppan Edo was one of our first Disney meals back in 2009 and was an one and done for us. I'd rather do Tokyo Dining or Takumi Tei.

I think you have to be in the right mood for Teppan. It's definitely a bit rowdy and silly. I like it with my kids. ::yes:: Never done the T.D. but boy oh boy would I ever go back to Takumei. YUM!! And ahhh.....

Love Chefs de France, we had such a great meal there. Jamie tried Lobster Bisque for the first time and Stuart worked up the courage for escargot. Spice Road was ok, like you, I would probably go for a beverage and small plates. I would have to have someone offer me huge sums of money to go back to Rose and Crown ever again and even then, I probably wouldn't do it. Yes, it was that bad.

Not tried Chefs and think I'll stick to Mr. Paul for my French fixes. :) As for R&C, I'm 100% with you. Blech!! And if the food isn't gross enough, the service might kill you. Although I do love their mashed peas. Those were tasty.

Love, love Via Napoli!!! I had the Carofci white pizza and still dream about it.

This is the one I am wanting to try if I ever get back there. Sounds so good!

I love the outdoor dining space that they built for Spice Road. It is probably perfect on a little bit warmer day. :)

Me too, but it'd have to be pretty hot out for me to choose to sit there again. Otherwise, I'm headed inside. ::yes::
My favorite is San Angel Inn because of the food. I'm not too fond of the close tables, though. DH likes Rose and Crown. We have eaten at La Hacienda several times and sometimes it was a good experience and other times it wasn't. Via Napoli is not a favorite because it is so noisy and overpriced for what you get. The one we won't go to again is Biergarten, mostly because DH hates it.

So far, of the TS places, San Angel and SRT are tied for firsts. Both were equally good and so very different from each other.

I too wasn't a lover of the close, packed feeling of San Angel, but our waterside table helped with that. But, I think packed in tables are a thing of the past. At least for a bit? I still would like to try Hacienda at some point. I've always been reluctant though because we have copious Mexican places here that are so superb. Via works for groups and Meets but isn't a place I'd choose for a meal otherwise probably. My kids like it though.

Variety is the Spice of Life.
::yes::
Kids will be kids especially on vacation.

And at Disney, adults will be kids too. LOL!

I've had these so there are a bunch I haven't had. I don't really have a favorite of these. I really need to try some more.

Believe it or not, I have only hit up about half the list myself. Still have a ways to go!
I enjoyed your review. Maybe someday I'll get the chance to try it.
Thanks, Vanessa! I hope you get to. :)

Your meal at Spice Road Table sounds wonderful. Those hummus fries have been on my list of foods to try for awhile! They look delicious.
It was a very pleasant meal despite the wind and cold. And now that the SRT has them year round, you can try them anytime you're there and not just during F&W. ::yes::

I love the hummus fries, so yummy.

They are so good!! Really just falafel in a lot of ways, but love the spicy kick they added.

The small plates and the lamb dinner look very tasty.
I think if I did it again, I'd stick with the small plates and some wine and call it good. The entree was over-priced for sure. Good but $$$.

It is easier to name the 2 restaurants I haven’t been to
Marrakech and Tutto Italia. I have been to all the others and really each one has been good. Some are definitely better than others and I would return to.

Then you are WAY ahead of me!! But those are two that I HAVE been to. We could hardly get the guys (my dad and my ex) out of the Marakesh when it was time to pay and leave. :sad2:

Tutto was YEARS ago, maybe 2000? And as I recalll was very good. I even remember I had Veal Parmesan and it was amazing. Someone else had the Chicken Cacciatore also very good. I haven't seen ANY recent reviews of it so no idea if it's even any good anymore or lately.

Sorry I have fallen behind! But I enjoyed catching up! :surfweb:

I'm glad you're still here, Terri! :hug:

I love Teppan Edo. It is great for the kids and they eat their vegetables! The chefs are always fun to watch, too!

It's a fun evening for sure. We enjoyed our last time in there, which I'm going to write about in the next chapter or so. Still deciding which update to do next.

I would like to try one of the restaurants in Morocco when we go in November.

I'd say of the 2 sitdown choices Marakesh is more... fun? Interactive? And SRT is a bit more casual and lighter fare. Marakesh will set you back a bit more but you do get the music and dancer. So you're paying for more ambiance.

Our kids are like yours... they are used to eating a wide variety of food from various parts of the world, and they are used to various spices and seasonings. Hopefully we make it there!

I'm SO glad my kids aren't picky as it opens up all kinds of opportunities for us to explore and enjoy. Traveling with them is so easy. :) I really hope you get to try one of them in November and cross another one off of your list.

Long time lurker, I think first time poster? Anyway I love your reports and I'm really pleased to hear life is slowly crawling back to normal for you. Gives me hope. Look forward to your updates!
Super happy you're here and decided to pop in and say hello! I hope you'll post and comment often as it makes hosting a TR so much more fun. Life is finally pretty much back to normal now at least in terms of work. We still have some guidelines to follow but they are very manageable. Our hope is that in the next month or so, we'll be nearing our pre-Covid caseloads so we can all have more predictable (and more) hours. But we're getting there, slowly but surely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!