The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I really should have put a winky face after that. I wasn't scolding!!
Knew you weren't. :)
I need to read my own TR about that again. And relive that.
You should! I bet you'll be going through all kinds of emotions when you do.
I need to look!!
I'll tag you if I find it!
Standing by.
Hahaha!! More breakfast sammies for me. (They go with Dawa Marys better!)
Deal!
Very true. Hmmm, why does Trader Sam keep coming to mind...?
Good point
I go down ridiculous rabbit holes when I write my updates and I'm learning A LOT about Japanese cuisine as I write my next one!!! Who knew?!
Sounds like an interesting update coming up!

I thoroughly enjoyed our stroll through Harambe! Love all the angles you captured of many familiar spots, and the colors come through beautifully in each picture.

Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari? I didn’t either, but I sure as heck am going to look for it next time I go!
I sure didn't!!! This is my favorite kind of stuff to find out about and go looking for :)

Do you think it's weird for adults at Disney to do the activities that might be considered kids' stuff? Like the Agent P hunts at EPCOT or the Wilderness Badges at AK?
Absolutely not weird!!! I think it probably provides the CMs (especially for Wilderness Explorers) an opportunity to really show off what they know! They have to keep it simple sometimes depending on the age of the child, and it's nice to have a real discussion about a lot of the things contained in the booklets. Somehow we have never managed to do Kim Possible, now Agent P hunts at Epcot, but I'd imagine it would be just as much fun for adults as it is for kids!

I is for: Itadakimasu; I Humbly Receive

Itadakimasu.

Somewhat literally, “I humbly receive” in Japanese. Or, in more common terms, “Bon appetite!” or “Thanks for the food!”. I wished I’d known this phrase when I recently had the opportunity to dine at one of Disney’s more newly opened restaurants in EPCOT’s Japan Pavilion this past Fall- Takumi Tei... House of the Artisan.

It makes sense that I would time this chapter in tandem with Pkondz’s recounting the same elegant meal. I can’t possibly compete with his writing and, for this chapter, his photos either. But I’ll throw in my 2 cents and maybe there will be a few more memories to round out the picture of the evening. I’ll just begin by saying I was using a cell phone with the WRONG-sized case on it, so as with all the other cell phone photos I took from this trip, there is a funky black area on the corner of almost every single one. Oh well, Takumi Tei is a place for savoring with all of one’s senses, not necessarily documenting with pictures. I will try my best to put into prose the incredibly experience that Takumi Tei was for my dinner partner and me.

As was shared, I arrived a bit ahead of Pkondz and once he did, we checked in at the outdoor podium tucked discreetly to the side of the Japan Pavilion nearest to Morocco. The two hostesses asked for a name and in a quiet, subdued demeanor, one of them ushered us in without pretense or fanfare. With a heavy accent, she paused alongside the display of spheres and haiku that represent 5 Earthly elements - Earth, Stone, Paper, Water, and Wood. Not so coincidentally, each of the 5 seating areas corresponds to one of those 5 and is decorated according to that theme. I did Google thinking that those were also the 5 elements of Japanese Buddhism/philosophy but was mistaken. Those, in case you are interested are: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Void (Aether), so close but not quite.

We were then ushered to the “Paper Room” which is highlighted with backlit cherry blossom art along the walls. It has a clean, airy feel to it, yet is small and intimate in nature. There were perhaps 8 or10 tables in this area in total.

I chose to focus on the meal itself and even during my one trip to the restroom, I didn’t bother to check out the other 4 rooms. I do know from other sources the water room is a private dining area with a table for 8 that can be reserved for a chef’s table type experience. Every table setting was the same, graced with a perfectly themed napkin fold. I loved this special touch!

We did not wait long before our main server was at our table and giving us suggestions for a pre-dinner drink selection. As of note, we were served by 2 lovely young ladies, a head waitress and her assistant. Both were very attentive and at no time did we have to wait to order, get water refilled, ask questions, etc… I will add here that both of us were extremely interested in the ingredients of the dishes and had occasional general questions about Japanese culture or the food. Our questions were always politely and thoroughly answered but I will admit, at times, it was a bit difficult to understand them due to the heavy accents.

Our drinks came and were presented with a complete explanation of the ingredients and technique including the unique barware Pkondz’s was served in.

Kami, Roku gin, Sayuri "white Lilly" nigori sake, calipco, lychee $15 (on the right)

I love how it purposefully keeps the drink undiluted and cold at the same time. Just for kicks and giggles I googled a set of these and found you can buy a set of 2 for $33 off Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Colde...l+glasses&qid=1579057538&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

I opted for the:

Sakurajima Kaiyo: Japanese whisky sour with smoked cherrywood $15 (on the left up there)

The cocktails were both delicious and a fun and interesting start to our meal!

After I'd decided to try Takumi Tei, I was pretty sure I wanted to experience the Omakase Tasting Menu so I could get a nice variety of foods. After enjoying it, I did come away with some opinions and thoughts that I'll share throughout. Meanwhile, this is the menu for what to expect:

Soon after our amuse bouche arrived and this very well may have been my favorite savory of the meal. It was a small, but flavor-packed sampling of Seabass perfectly fried.

If you were to order this as an entrée it will run you $42 and is described here:

Misoyaki Ochazuke Misoyaki seabass, Karikari sushi, shirasu, Tsukemono, toasted nori, shimeji mushroom, ocha dashi broth $42

As Pkondz mentioned in his chapter, I did say that I was second guessing my order and almost changed at that point. And our server did say that many guests do say that about this course. It was absolutely mouth-watering and I’d go back there JUST for this dish.

Our next course was the appetizer: a beautiful sampling of exquisite sushi. I did not take notes, but from the looks of it we were served tuna, toro, salmon, yellowtail, and uni. I loved all of them, but the yellowtail was a bit on the fishy side for my liking. I ate it, but the others outshined that one. Meanwhile, we both ooohed and ahhhed at both the presentation and the amazing flavors. In hindsight I do wish I’d taken at least a few notes, because while I DID ask what the sauces were to the right, I cannot remember what they were at all.

Our next course arrived I think actually a little too quickly, but was no less delicious. Nikomi Wagyu, roasted bone marrow, braised Jackman Farms wagyu shortrib, Yuzu Kosho, wasabi shiso Bavaroise, Warishita. If you ordered that as a stand-alone appetizer it’d run you $27. This thing was RICH! I was not able to finish it and sadly was getting a bit too full to really give my entrée its due justice. Was it amazing? YES! Osso bucco always is. It was tender and juicy but just too much. It could have easily sufficed as a stand alone meal.

I tend to travel deeply down rabbit holes when I write my updates and tonight’s little diversion was looking up what “Yuzo Kosho” is. I was fascinated and now wonder if that wasn’t the green smear to the right of the sushi as well as the "dots" by the Osso Bucco? This is what I found:

Yuzu kosho is a pasty Japanese condiment made from fresh chiles (most often green or red Thai or bird's eye chiles) then fermented with salt along with zest and juice from yuzu, a tart and fragrant citrus fruit that grows in East Asia. The trifecta of chiles, citrus, and salt come together in a powerful and distinctive flavor that enlivens a dish—anything from sashimi to braised short ribs and cookies—instantly.” There’s a ton more about it here >> https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/yuzu-kosho-recipe

Storytime with Steppe:

Somewhere during the 1st main course, I decided I wanted a nice red wine to go with my meat courses. But a little breakdown in communication happened that partly made me giggle but also gave major cause for concern. I asked to speak with the sommelier to get a recommendation and to see a price list. 10 minutes after I made my request a large red wine goblet shows up on tray. Ummmm, how the heck much is THAT gonna cost?! I have NEVER heard of such a thing happening at a fine dining place. At the very least she should have given me a small pouring for preview or presentation. I won’t say it “ruined my meal” but from then on it gave a constant niggling that was hard to shake. It definitely should have been handled differently, but what was, was. On with the meal!

Shortly after the wine “mishap” our palate cleanser arrived.

Hashiyasume, which means “put your chopsticks down.” (note it was served in a spoon...) included cucumber and grape jelly, and ginger. I have no idea what the white stuff was. But what I can say is that it was… very, VERY different. Salty, sharp, a bit sweet, and a bit shocking. One bite was definitely enough to do exactly what it was supposed to before the pièce de résistance made its appearance- the 2nd main course of:

Wagyu Tabekurabe Japanese A5 wagyu strip steak paired with Jackman Farms wagyu strip steak, roast cippolini onion, curried potato, seasonal mushroom, yuzu kosho, fresh grated wasabi, arima sansho pepper reduction.

The difference between the 2 varieties of beef was… well, it was indescribable. Side by side there was hardly any comparison to be made. The American version was amazing in its own right, tender, packed with flavor, perfectly seared and cooked to a medium rare as all steak should be!! However, when I moved to the Japanese wagyu, my taste buds went into overdrive. The meat was almost creamy for lack of a better description. The texture was vastly superior to its American cousin in every way possible and it’s no wonder that it will nearly bankrupt you should you choose it.

I will add that the accompaniaments of the wasabi and the pepper reduction were exquisite!! The wasabi was NOTHING like a regualar Japanese restaurant serves, no bite or nose blowout, just a pefect mellow taste to add another layer of flavor.

But once again, this course proved to be too much for my teensy tummy and sadly I had to leave a bit of the American wagyu behind. I loved this meal, but the richness of the meat-heavy courses took its toll and I started to become overly full and uncomfortable. I guess I’d have preferred another, lighter Japanese-style 1st main course in place of the huge portion of Osso Bucco. But I am of one opinion and I know my appetite is a bit smaller than most others’.

But as the saying goes: there is always room for dessert!! And I ate every single bite. Because it’s mostly water and aptly named Japanese Water Cake. It’s also known as Raindrop Cake if you care to Google.

Basically, it is a very light jello-like dessert made from agar (plant-based) that rests on the Japanese version of cane sugar syrup (molasses) served with a mixture that best compares to graham cracker crumble. And yes, those are real gold flakes to garnish. I like me some bling and it was fantastic!! I loved it very much! I have read many reviews of this restaurant now and this dessert has consistently gotten mixed reviews. Yes, it’s very different, but in my opinion, the perfect ending to a quite heavy meal- too heavy at times. It was light, sweet, but not overly so, and just enough.

You’d think our meal was over, but you’d be wrong. No Japanese meal would be complete without a cup of tea, and the Omakase Tasting is capped with a mini-version of the Japanese Tea Ceremony. While the real Tea Ceremony can last as long as 4 hours, this version only includes a very few of the steps, but our sweet servers took the perfect care and time to explain the Ceremony in general terms and the steps they presented. Here, our server carefully whisks the matcha tea powder into the water:

I don’t remember everything, but one point did stick: When the cup is presented to the guest, it is always given with the design facing the guest so he or she can admire it. But before a sip is taken, the cup is rotated so the guests can admire the cup and design while the sipper drinks.

All the movements are smooth and graceful with a definite air of importance and intentionality. The tea was fine, nothing magical or amazing in and of itself, but even getting to see a small portion of the Japanese Tea Ceremony was a particularly wonderful way to end our evening at Takumi Tei.

As a sweet parting gift, we were given a little gift of candies with a darling thank you note written on an oragami-folded paper. Pkondz, being the gentleman he is let me keep them as a souvenir and the little note is now on my Disney pinboard as a takehome treasure to remember our amazing meal.

Would I return? Yes, I definitely would, but would likely not order the tasting menu again. I'd probably order some sushi and the seabass along with a cocktail or 2 and that scrumptious dessert. Heck, I'd go there JUST for the Water Cake. The atmosphere alone is worth retreating to as the calm and traquility is a welcome oasis from the busy days of touring. The food was some of the best I've ever had and I think the menu offers a nice variety for those who may be less adventurous in tastes.

And with that... Arigato and Sayonara!!

I thoroughly enjoyed our stroll through Harambe! Love all the angles you captured of many familiar spots, and the colors come through beautifully in each picture.

Aw, thanks!! It was such a relaxing, nice stroll and I loved finding new angles!

I sure didn't!!! This is my favorite kind of stuff to find out about and go looking for :)

Me too!!! Hopefully, someone will find it and take a photo soon for us!

Absolutely not weird!!! I think it probably provides the CMs (especially for Wilderness Explorers) an opportunity to really show off what they know! They have to keep it simple sometimes depending on the age of the child, and it's nice to have a real discussion about a lot of the things contained in the booklets. Somehow we have never managed to do Kim Possible, now Agent P hunts at Epcot, but I'd imagine it would be just as much fun for adults as it is for kids!

Funny you should mention the Wilderness Badges... ;)

Look at you on an update roll and me keeping right up!!! Who are we today?! :)

IMG_3074%281%29-L.jpg
@pkondz, you clean up nice!!

This is such a sweet little personal touch. Love it!

I enjoyed reading about your dinner at Takumi Tei here and in @pkondz's report. I'm not sure we are adventurous enough diners to venture there ourselves, but I love seeing some of the things that make it a special place to dine!

Look at you on an update roll and me keeping right up!!! Who are we today?! :)

I know! I can hardly contain myself with all this time off! Totally not sure what "J" will be yet, but I'm making my way through photos.... although right now I'm a bit obsessed with the photos from my trip to Tucson last week! :) LOVE it there!
This is such a sweet little personal touch. Love it!

Wasn't it sweet?!

I enjoyed reading about your dinner at Takumi Tei here and in @pkondz's report. I'm not sure we are adventurous enough diners to venture there ourselves, but I love seeing some of the things that make it a special place to dine!
It was really a nice treat and I know it's not for everyone, but the special touches were sure fun!!

Okay, grab yourself a gigantor cinnamon roll to munch as we stroll and let’s get going. You grabbed your napkins too, right? Licking your fingers at a theme park is gross! How many of you see kids (or worse adults) licking their hands at Disney, or worse railings?! **confession: I bite my nails and am often oblivious to my own sins in this area
Yum! Bill and I split that cinnamon roll in July and it was delicious!
Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari? I didn’t either, but I sure as heck am going to look for it next time I go!
Putting that on my list too!
Time for a trek! If you’re patient (a trip to Harambe, or anywhere else in Disney for that matter requires an increasing amount of patience these days, doesn’t it? ) you can see Mama and Baby Grace snuggling, naked mole rats writhing, fish swimming, and meerkats playing and all manner of other critters doing what they do.
Love the pics of baby Grace with her mama!
Okay, now it's your turn: Do you think it's weird for adults at Disney to do the activities that might be considered kids' stuff? Like the Agent P hunts at EPCOT or the Wilderness Badges at AK? I'm asking for a reason... ;)
Absolutely not! Disney fun is for all ages. :)
paused alongside the display of spheres and haiku that represent 5 Earthly elements - Earth, Stone, Paper, Water, and Wood. Not so coincidentally, each of the 5 seating areas corresponds to one of those 5 and is decorated according to that theme.
Stunning!
Soon after our amuse bouche arrived and this very well may have been my favorite savory of the meal. It was a small, but flavor-packed sampling of Seabass perfectly fried.
That looks delicious!
Meanwhile, we both ooohed and ahhhed at both the presentation and the amazing flavors.
The sushi looks like a work of art.
At the very least she should have given me a small pouring for preview or presentation. I won’t say it “ruined my meal” but from then on it gave a constant niggling that was hard to shake. It definitely should have been handled differently, but what was, was. On with the meal!
Not what you would expect at all. Did you even get to choose what red wine you wanted?
However, when I moved to the Japanese wagyu, my taste buds went into overdrive. The meat was almost creamy for lack of a better description. The texture was vastly superior to its American cousin in every way possible and it’s no wonder that it will nearly bankrupt you should you choose it.
Bill went for the Wagyu at our V&A's dinner and adored it. Definitely putting Takumi Tei on the must do list!
But as the saying goes: there is always room for dessert!! And I ate every single bite. Because it’s mostly water and aptly named Japanese Water Cake. It’s also known as Raindrop Cake if you care to Google.
It looks very interesting. After that rich meal, a light dessert would be perfect.
I don’t remember everything, but one point did stick: When the cup is presented to the guest, it is always given with the design facing the guest so he or she can admire it. But before a sip is taken, the cup is rotated so the guests can admire the cup and design while the sipper drinks.
Interesting!
As a sweet parting gift, we were given a little gift of candies with a darling thank you note written on an oragami-folded paper. Pkondz, being the gentleman he is let me keep them as a souvenir and the little note is now on my Disney pinboard as a takehome treasure to remember our amazing meal.
So lovely!
He does indeed!

Somewhat literally, “I humbly receive” in Japanese. Or, in more common terms, “Bon appetite!” or “Thanks for the food!”.
Or "I'm gonna smash food in my pie hole!"
I wished I’d known this phrase when I recently had the opportunity to dine at one of Disney’s more newly opened restaurants in EPCOT’s Japan Pavilion this past Fall- Takumi Tei... House of the Artisan.
I'm glad I didn't. Because then I'd be tempted to use it... and would have butchered it... and it would've come out to something like "Your mother is a hamster".

Also, Takumi-Tei translates to House of the Artisan? Cool! And appropriate.
It makes sense that I would time this chapter in tandem with Pkondz’s recounting the same elegant meal.
:wave:
I can’t possibly compete with his writing and, for this chapter, his photos either.
Oh, piffle. Your writing was and is sublime.
there is a funky black area on the corner of almost every single one.
See? You have funky photos. Mine are just regular ol' pictures.
Oh well, Takumi Tei is a place for savoring with all of one’s senses, not necessarily documenting with pictures.
::yes::
I actually considered not taking photos. But knowing that most readers have yet to try this place, or may be curious or hesitant... I wanted to let people know what it was like.
I did Google thinking that those were also the 5 elements of Japanese Buddhism/philosophy but was mistaken. Those, in case you are interested are: Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, and Void (Aether), so close but not quite.
It has a clean, airy feel to it, yet is small and intimate in nature.
Well said. ::yes::
I chose to focus on the meal itself and even during my one trip to the restroom, I didn’t bother to check out the other 4 rooms.
And while you were visiting the restroom and I was waiting for you, I didn't bother to check out the other 4 rooms either.

We need a do-over!
I do know from other sources the water room is a private dining area with a table for 8 that can be reserved for a chef’s table type experience.
Every table setting was the same, graced with a perfectly themed napkin fold. I loved this special touch!
I did too. :)
I love how you incorporated your "funky black area" and vignetted the entire photo. Nice.
As of note, we were served by 2 lovely young ladies, a head waitress and her assistant. Both were very attentive and at no time did we have to wait to order, get water refilled, ask questions, etc…
They were very attentive. I was impressed.
I will admit, at times, it was a bit difficult to understand them due to the heavy accents.
Oh, really! I think I only missed one comment (I seem to remember saying to you afterwards "What did she say?" and you didn't know either. :lmao: ), but I tend to follow accents better than some.
Just for kicks and giggles I googled a set of these and found you can buy a set of 2 for $33 off Amazon
Interesting! Hmmm...
Soon after our amuse bouche arrived and this very well may have been my favorite savory of the meal.
I did know how much we both liked this.
I did not take notes, but from the looks of it we were served tuna, toro, salmon, yellowtail, and uni. I loved all of them, but the yellowtail was a bit on the fishy side for my liking. I ate it, but the others outshined that one.
Your grasp of sushi is better than mine.
I deliberately didn't take notes. I wanted to enjoy the meal. Even taking photos was an intrusion. See previous comment.
In hindsight I do wish I’d taken at least a few notes, because while I DID ask what the sauces were to the right, I cannot remember what they were at all.
In hindsight... I'm quite pleased that I did not!
This thing was RICH! I was not able to finish it and sadly was getting a bit too full to really give my entrée its due justice.
That was incredibly rich. Over the top rich.
It was tender and juicy but just too much. It could have easily sufficed as a stand alone meal.
::yes:: We were both pretty full after that. With more courses to come!
Yuzu kosho is a pasty Japanese condiment made from fresh chiles (most often green or red Thai or bird's eye chiles) then fermented with salt along with zest and juice from yuzu, a tart and fragrant citrus fruit that grows in East Asia. The trifecta of chiles, citrus, and salt come together in a powerful and distinctive flavor that enlivens a dish—anything from sashimi to braised short ribs and cookies—instantly.”
Interesting. Now we know what we ate! :laughing:
I asked to speak with the sommelier to get a recommendation and to see a price list. 10 minutes after I made my request a large red wine goblet shows up on tray. Ummmm, how the heck much is THAT gonna cost?!
I remember that.
"Did you order that?"
"No!!"
I don't think it was overly expensive, though.
Hashiyasume, which means “put your chopsticks down.” (note it was served in a spoon...)
Cool! Didn't know that's what it meant. :)
But what I can say is that it was… very, VERY different. Salty, sharp, a bit sweet, and a bit shocking. One bite was definitely enough to do exactly what it was supposed to
You remember it better than I do.
Hello, my precious...
The difference between the 2 varieties of beef was… well, it was indescribable.
cooked to a medium rare as all steak should be!!
:snooty: But of course!
The texture was vastly superior to its American cousin in every way possible and it’s no wonder that it will nearly bankrupt you should you choose it.
Well said. ::yes::
The wasabi was NOTHING like a regualar Japanese restaurant serves, no bite or nose blowout, just a pefect mellow taste to add another layer of flavor.
Because almost 0% of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan don't serve you real wasabi. It's dressed up horseradish. This was real wasabi.

It's like serving straw and calling it steak because you mixed in a little broth and molded it into a patty.
But once again, this course proved to be too much for my teensy tummy and sadly I had to leave a bit of the American wagyu behind.
I eyed that, too... but was too full to even consider asking.
I guess I’d have preferred another, lighter Japanese-style 1st main course in place of the huge portion of Osso Bucco. But I am of one opinion and I know my appetite is a bit smaller than most others’.
I think the Osso Bucco could have been... quartered and it would've been much better. Then again... I don't eat much either.
And yes, those are real gold flakes to garnish. I like me some bling
:laughing:
I have read many reviews of this restaurant now and this dessert has consistently gotten mixed reviews.
It's not chocolate cake. It's definitely different. For some people, different is good... for others, bad.
While the real Tea Ceremony can last as long as 4 hours
Is that so?

:rolleyes1
I don’t remember everything, but one point did stick: When the cup is presented to the guest, it is always given with the design facing the guest so he or she can admire it.
I did remember that. And it is turned in just a certain way, as well.
The tea was fine, nothing magical or amazing in and of itself, but even getting to see a small portion of the Japanese Tea Ceremony was a particularly wonderful way to end our evening at Takumi Tei.
I can't comment on the tea, not being a tea drinker. But I thoroughly enjoyed the mini show.
As a sweet parting gift, we were given a little gift of candies with a darling thank you note written on an oragami-folded paper.
I completely forgot about that.
Would I return? Yes, I definitely would, but would likely not order the tasting menu again.
Agreed. I am very glad I had it, but it's just too much.
Heck, I'd go there JUST for the Water Cake.
:laughing: I would not. But I would have it for dessert.
The atmosphere alone is worth retreating to as the calm and traquility is a welcome oasis from the busy days of touring.
Exactly. I loved it in there. Even if I hadn't had anything to eat.
It was a very different season of life then... so yes, I'm sure of that.
:hug:
It's posted... tell me what you think!
I loved it!! :goodvibes
Thanks, Jackie. :)

To be perfectly honest, I little sweet goes a long way for me. I enjoy them a lot, but kinda love the breakfast sandwich they serve there just as much. With a coffee from Creature Comforts nearby to go with it.

We ended up getting breakfast sandwiches, coffee, tea and hot chocolate from Creature Comports. I tried to get him to walk just a little further.

I'm sorry to hear of your neck, car and money woes. Hopefully you got all that unpleasantness out of the way and are on your way to a better 2020 :hug:

Okay, grab yourself a gigantor cinnamon roll

That looks amazing! I'm truly surprised my DS has never ordered this. I'm sure he could polish off the whole thing himself :rotfl2:

Just across this bridge is our lovely village of Harambe.

Did you know it was once a fort and that, through a peaceful revolution, is now governed by locals and was turned into a preserve? Did you know that if you listen carefully above the Dawa you can hear doorbells ringing and conversations the lend to the story of a landlord trying to collect rent that has gone unpaid for too long? Did you know that the yellow balloon seen on posters in the area is real and can be found in the rafters of the queue to the Safari? I didn’t either, but I sure as heck am going to look for it next time I go!

I had no idea. How cool! Did you do a tour to learn that?

Save room for Kelly @buzzrelly on the right side of the bus, please! It’s the (less) better side of the bus. I mean it DOES have the Baobob Tree afterall.

Thank you for saving me the good side :laughing: Your pictures of my tree are just gorgeous:love:

We were then ushered to the “Paper Room” which is highlighted with backlit cherry blossom art along the walls. It has a clean, airy feel to it, yet is small and intimate in nature. There were perhaps 8 or10 tables in this area in total.

Hi Pkondz! :wave2:

Looks like a lovely restaurant but I literally have no desire to ever eat there :rotfl:

Would I return? Yes, I definitely would, but would likely not order the tasting menu again. I'd probably order some sushi and the seabass along with a cocktail or 2 and that scrumptious dessert. Heck, I'd go there JUST for the Water Cake. The atmosphere alone is worth retreating to as the calm and traquility is a welcome oasis from the busy days of touring. The food was some of the best I've ever had and I think the menu offers a nice variety for those who may be less adventurous in tastes

I really enjoyed this update. It's nice to get 2 different perspectives on the same meal. I do agree that this is a lot of food. I don't think I would ever get this particular meal since I don't like sushi (please don't ban me from the trip report) bu I think I would have better luck with eating the beef than you did. I really do love steak and I've never had something this fine.

I loved your review of Takumi Tei. It sounds like an amazing place, but I don't think it is for me. It sounded all a bit too fishy for me - or there is very expensive steak. I wonder how well it is doing? Is it difficult to get a reservation there?

Even though we never did any real high end dining while we were in Japan, I was always impressed how much effort was put into presentation. Even at simple places and little cafes. It made meals far more of an experience. And it looks that Takumi-Tei really excels in that regard!

(Also checking in since you wanted to hear from people who haven't been around. I think I am finally back on track! And hope to spend some more sensible time on the DIS!)

Itadakimasu.

Gesundheit.

It makes sense that I would time this chapter in tandem with Pkondz’s recounting the same elegant meal.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

We were then ushered to the “Paper Room” which is highlighted with backlit cherry blossom art along the walls.

I like that art. Looks like a neat atmosphere.

Every table setting was the same, graced with a perfectly themed napkin fold.

I told @pkondz that was the greatest napkin fold I've ever seen! :rolleyes1

In hindsight I do wish I’d taken at least a few notes, because while I DID ask what the sauces were to the right, I cannot remember what they were at all.

Pretty sure that's mustard and gravy. You're welcome.

Yuzu Kosho, wasabi shiso Bavaroise, Warishita.

This could mean literally anything. It could be the gravest of insults, and I would have no idea.

I tend to travel deeply down rabbit holes when I write my updates and tonight’s little diversion was looking up what “Yuzo Kosho” is.

I thought that was the Japanese Mafia.

I asked to speak with the sommelier to get a recommendation and to see a price list. 10 minutes after I made my request a large red wine goblet shows up on tray.

:scared1: I can imagine the panic!

The American version was amazing in its own right, tender, packed with flavor, perfectly seared and cooked to a medium rare as all steak should be!! However, when I moved to the Japanese wagyu, my taste buds went into overdrive. The meat was almost creamy for lack of a better description.

Sounds like exactly what pkondz thought, too. Now I need to try Japanese wagyu!

I loved this meal, but the richness of the meat-heavy courses took its toll and I started to become overly full and uncomfortable.

Meat-heavy! Sounds perfect! :rotfl:

But as the saying goes: there is always room for dessert!!

I knew it...

All the movements are smooth and graceful with a definite air of importance and intentionality. The tea was fine, nothing magical or amazing in and of itself, but even getting to see a small portion of the Japanese Tea Ceremony was a particularly wonderful way to end our evening at Takumi Tei.

Looks like wonderful experience.

Pkondz, being the gentleman he is let me keep them as a souvenir and the little note is now on my Disney pinboard as a takehome treasure to remember our amazing meal.

Attaguy. :thumbsup2

The food was some of the best I've ever had and I think the menu offers a nice variety for those who may be less adventurous in tastes.

It's like my ears are burning for some reason.

Yum! Bill and I split that cinnamon roll in July and it was delicious!

They really are!! I'd love one with a latte right now!

Love the pics of baby Grace with her mama!

Isn't she adorable?!

Absolutely not! Disney fun is for all ages. :)

The sushi looks like a work of art.

They really were. Even just the garnishes added a special touch, but if that wasn't enough, it was out of this world!

Not what you would expect at all. Did you even get to choose what red wine you wanted?

Nope, not even a little. I think she thought I meant or said, "bring me a glass of red wine, whatever the sommolier chooses..." It was not. LOL! Luckily I did like it and not all was lost.

Bill went for the Wagyu at our V&A's dinner and adored it. Definitely putting Takumi Tei on the must do list!

I think it's a great place for those who enjoy fine dining in a unique, subdued space.

I think I got just a small taste of the Wagyu at V&As and loved it!! I know it wasn't my main course though.

It looks very interesting. After that rich meal, a light dessert would be perfect.

For sure! Super unique and not something I've ever seen before. Lovely too. ;)

Or "I'm gonna smash food in my pie hole!"

And I'd not even know the difference!! LOL!

I'm glad I didn't. Because then I'd be tempted to use it... and would have butchered it... and it would've come out to something like "Your mother is a hamster".

Also, Takumi-Tei translates to House of the Artisan? Cool! And appropriate.

LOLOL!! <wherein pkondz gets smacked with a cane again>

In all seriousness, I think most people around the world are pretty gracious (well, except the French, in my past experience) when it comes to someone trying to practice and use a local language. Most are flattered you are trying. I don't believe that Japanese is a tonal langauge so you would have that on your side.

Oh, piffle. Your writing was and is sublime.

Piffle back. This chapter's writing stunk. I need to get back on my game.

See? You have funky photos. Mine are just regular ol' pictures.

Funky is good? Buahahaha!

I actually considered not taking photos. But knowing that most readers have yet to try this place, or may be curious or hesitant... I wanted to let people know what it was like.

Same same.

Great, now I'm compelled to bring up my 70s mix on Pandora. (yes, I'm old-school on that)

And while you were visiting the restroom and I was waiting for you, I didn't bother to check out the other 4 rooms either.

We need a do-over!

YES!

I love how you incorporated your "funky black area" and vignetted the entire photo. Nice.

Thanks, I had to do... something.

They were very attentive. I was impressed.

And yet, not obtrusive or in your face.

Oh, really! I think I only missed one comment (I seem to remember saying to you afterwards "What did she say?" and you didn't know either. :lmao: ), but I tend to follow accents better than some.

I think I'm pretty decent as well, but I literally had NO idea what MOST of what the hostess was saying about the entryway.

Interesting! Hmmm...

hmmm.... yes.

I did know how much we both liked this.

I want that again so badly.

Your grasp of sushi is better than mine.
I deliberately didn't take notes. I wanted to enjoy the meal. Even taking photos was an intrusion. See previous comment.

I"ve been eating it since I was very, very young. As a small girl when sushi was not even "a thing", my grandparents would take me/us out for dinner at the same place every Friday night when I was with them and we sat at the "tempura bar". We'd always order sushi and made-tableside tempura. Sigh.... fond memories....

While it may have seemed an small intrusion to take photos, I think we were both very discreet and we didn't take an overly many. :)

That was incredibly rich. Over the top rich.

I'd have been happy actually to have had 2 more pieces of sushi and no osso bucco at all.

::yes:: We were both pretty full after that. With more courses to come!

EEK! Yes!

I remember that.
"Did you order that?"
"No!!"
I don't think it was overly expensive, though.

Makes for a funny memory/story though.

Cool! Didn't know that's what it meant. :)

They didn't miss a beat and it's amazing that the Japanese language even has this word/concept. Just amazes me and that the Executive Chef planned that out that way or was aware of it.

Because almost 0% of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan don't serve you real wasabi. It's dressed up horseradish. This was real wasabi.

It's like serving straw and calling it steak because you mixed in a little broth and molded it into a patty.

This correct. This wasabi was amazing! Mild, smooth as butter.

I eyed that, too... but was too full to even consider asking.

One of the few instances I wouldn't have clubbed or whacked you!

It's not chocolate cake. It's definitely different. For some people, different is good... for others, bad.

Sooo.... you liked it?

Is that so?

:rolleyes1

Hey! I did my research too.

Probably from the same source as you. :rolleyes1

I did remember that. And it is turned in just a certain way, as well.

Precisely.

:rolleyes:

I can't comment on the tea, not being a tea drinker. But I thoroughly enjoyed the mini show.

I think matcha is bitter generally. I could have been crass and asked for some sugar, but I absolutely daren't not!!

:laughing: I would not. But I would have it for dessert.

Which answers my question as to whether or not you liked it.

Exactly. I loved it in there. Even if I hadn't had anything to eat.

It'd be so fantastic if they had a little lounge in there serving ONLY (maybe?) Japanese wines, beers, spirits for a repsite from the day. I'd even pay a small cover charge (crap! I hope the suits aren't reading!) to spend an hour or two in there with a drink and some quiet after going halfway around WS.

We ended up getting breakfast sandwiches, coffee, tea and hot chocolate from Creature Comports. I tried to get him to walk just a little further.
I like that place too because there are some nice tables and chairs right outside where it's nice to sit in the morning sun and enjoy. Although the Kusafiri breakfast sammiee is much better. I hope you can convince him next time!

Close, it's like Eefa, but spelled Aoife.

Fantastic update! I was smarter this time and read your version *after* I had eaten supper, as opposed to reading pkondz's version while I drooled all over my keyboard. And while we all know that you are beautiful, how nice to know that @pkondz owns one shirt that does not say Harley Davidson :)
Ooooh, that's super interesting!! Very unique and one I've not ever seen. :) I like it!

AW, thanks, Donna! It was fun doing a side by side comparison with his comments! LOL!! I'm glad you ate too, because I've literally read some updates which have made my mouth water. LOL!

You are very kind, Donna. Thank you very much. :hug: And yes, he does clean up nicely. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!