The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I definitely plan and love the food blogs

They are so thorough! Great for getting one excited about the party!
The loaded Mac and cheese I really liked and had several times!

Mmmm, so good!
2nd parade at MNSSHP is the best, less crowded and go ride BTM and Splash right after with no waits. We had a very crowded party this year was a downer, I sure hope yours is rain free and less crowded!!
Oh it totally is, and best watched from Frontierland! For exactly the reasons you stated! BTMRR at night FTW! I hope so too.... We shall see! What night of the week did you go?

I forgot to answer the last day question. When I went with my kids and parents - we would eat a big breakfast then drive home . By myself, I usually have a morning FPs or two but depending on what all I got done during the trip determines if if I do those or change them or sleep in and just pack up and go .

I was seeing a trend between drivers and fly-ers on that question. The drivers seemed to linger while the fly-ers seemed to pack and go. Interesting!

Last days are definitely good to be flexible if you have the time!
I am more of a planner but recently have tried to combine that with some go with the flow days . I too make lists of what I want to try. My last two trips have been during flower and garden . This last time I only tried new things just for a change of pace . But totally get returning to favorites I Never get to everything on my list but figure that’s a reason to go back .

I think a good mix of both is ideal. I think it's nearly impossible to do everything on the list, but it sure is fun to try!

I haven’t done a party in a couple of years . But I usually focus on rides and soaking up the atmosphere. I am not big on the shows personally. This year I am going to MVMCP for the first time in a long time. I added a day to my Universal trip so that will be my only Disney fix for the trip. I have booked the dessert party so I can get good fireworks view but that is all I have planned for now. I love the Halloween parade but don’t remember the Christmas one .
There are so many ways to enjoy the party and you just can't do everything! But the atmosphere is great and saturates the park enough that everyone can enjoy that. So you're doing the Christmas Party AND a Dessert Party all on the same night? Interesting! Short but sweet dip into Disney!

Reactions: DLo
I found your PTR just before you head off to WDW. I hope you and your kids have a great time.
We returned from a 7 night stay at WL on August 31st and were there for both the opening day of Food & Wine and SWGE. The savory dish that we thought was the best was the beef thing from France. We are returning in October so we will be able to get to more food booths then.

Interesting!! I have the one from Belgium on my list, but will take a peek at that one too.

We had planned to avoid SWGE due to fear of crazy crowds, but the only craziness was the 4 am opening day crowd. By 5pm that evening the wait time for Millennium Falcon was down to 90 minutes. We didn't spend too much time in SWGE because it was very hot and sunny with no shade, and crowded. Make sure you download and play the parks app game. We didn't know that it was interactive with the attraction and would translate the names of all the places in Batuu. I suggest you watch the wait times because it may not be as crowded in the middle of September as it is expected to be.

I just spent some time in SWGE in Cali and it is HOT in there with LOADS of concrete and no trees and very little shade. The crowds were low there too with the wait at 50 minutes at 10:00AM. I have some opinions about the new area but will save those for my TR.
I am definitely going to download the app and do a lot of playing though. My kids will be all over that!

-favorite resort is Wilderness Lodge - it just feels like home the minute we walk in the lobby
Nice! I love that one too! So nice! I didn't for a long time, well, it's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't call to me because I live here in the PNW and it's a lot like home. But it has DEFINITELY grown on me since I spent some time in the Grand Californian.

- it feels like Disney when we walk get of the ME and into the resort lobby

I think that is a close 2nd for me!

- arrival traditions - if staying at the Beach Club we usually walk into Epcot for lunch at Yorkshire Fish. When staying at the WL we eat lunch at Geyser Point if the weather is good, or go to Disney Springs for lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express. If staying at POR we take the boat to DS for whatever we feel like.

OH nice, different traditions for different stays. :) I like it! Isn't that boat from POR dreamy?

The Skyliner wasn't close to being ready on the line to Epcot when we were there. The station at the International Gateway still had lots of work to do. I think the line to DHS has been finished for a while now but Disney won't open the Skyliner until the Epcot portion is done.

Yeah, I figured that they had a ways to go. I also just heard that the CM soft openings are on Sept. 23rd-26th. I leave the 29th. Ah well, next trip. :) (Too bad we're at CBR THIS trip! LOL!)

Sensible vacation eating means eating whatever you want whenever you want. You're good.

Correct. Dieting afterwards is inevitable.
I'm a mix. I read, research and plan, but I have always liked to plan with some flexibility in mind. I'm going with a sports reference, but I liken it to the quarterback with the playbook on his armband and the freedom to call plays at the line of scrimmage. He knows what play works well in certain situations and goes with his gut in the moment.

That is an EXCELLENT analogy!! Super fits the situation!

I like to know what to expect and what I'm getting into, but I HATE having a structured step by step plan. When I get to a certain point, planning starts to feel like work to me and that isn't fun. I like there to be spontaneity when I'm on vacation and that's where my love/hate with FP+ and MDE comes into play. In the past planning just allowed me to be able to navigate the parks better and get some advantage over the rest of the crowd but now you're the one who's definitely working from behind if you don't actively plan. That's been a point of frustration for me that makes it less fun/more work. I'm kind of weird I guess.

Yes, it IS a love/hate relationship. I like to plan but also don't like that I have to or can't if I don't. IF that makes sense. I do remember the days when Planning meant discovering what you could do and what was out there and building an intinerary around those things that weren't tied to an exact time but rather, hmmm, example, the Candy Lady in Japan had shows at XX, XX, and XX, if we go clockwise, we could get to her show right after VOL which performs at XX, XX and XX. That, to me was more enjoyable.

I'm sure they're great... looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Meow... ;)

::yes:: Mega planner. As if we didn't already know that. :rotfl:

:blush:

Our priority is the fireworks. We just really like to enjoy the ambience. Usually hit some rides. It's fun to walk by and see some of the more "rare" characters meeting and the "usual" characters out in their festive attire, but we really don't make a point to meet them unless we happen across a short line. I just can't justify spending time standing in line for a 1 minute meet & greet when you factor in the cost to attend these events these days. I mean when the times we did MVMCP the 7D were the big meet. I couldn't justify lining up for an hour or 2 before the party or wasting a couple of hours of party time just waiting to meet them. So I guess I wished that they'd add more opportunities to meet "rare" characters to spread the crowds out, and based on what I heard from my sister during her experience at MNSSHP last year, they need to cut back on the crowd size, because there's not much value to a crowded party.

We were/are the same with the characters. We saw Jafar with no line in 2016 and hopped in. That was our "one and done" with characters. We did ride rides, saw the parade, fireworkds and Hocus Pocus, but mostly just wandered around taking in the lights, fog, music, etc.... No trick or treating. I can buy candy at Target. ;)

And you are right about crowd size. I 've heard this year that the lines are out of control and if you only get 2 the whole night... what's the point?

Loving your plans and the semi looseness of it all, but I totally get it. Planning for a party is the way to go, but then I don't really get the non-planners anyway, even when you aren't shelling out separately for party tickets, as a non-AP holder, any time I'm in a park, I want to maximize time there and spend more time doing things and less in line...if I could go more often though...I think sometimes might be fun to not have an agenda...but I will have to save that for retirement perhaps.

100% agree with all of this. Just too expensive to wander aimlessly or spend 90% of your time standing needlessly in lines.
Your must munch list is pretty ambitious but at least you have people to share the eats with and so should be doable!! Also, even for the spontaneous type, if you don't have a plan you end up filling up too soon and not knowing what all the options are because you don't make it all the way around before you run out of stomach space!! That mac looks really good, it's always hard to decided between revisiting things that you had before that are great, but wanting to experiment with new foods! You seem to have a good balance!

Sharing is the BESTEST!!

At least looking ahead and knowing there ARE good things in front of you and knowing you really DON"T HAVE to fill up before you even get to WS Proper is a good game plan. Otherwise, 4 kiosks on the walkway and BAM! You're full!

Wow! I can usually only manage mediocre or at best, adequate replies.
But you're going to give us outstanding ones!!! Woot!!

Only the best for my readers!
Ugh! Good luck with that.
Then again... Disney trip adrenaline will help, I'm sure. :)

I hope. Not been a lot of sleep the last couple weeks. :(

:lmao: Not again!?!?!?!!!

They're in!!!! And my suitcase is in the car. My amazing son came over last night to help me load it because I'm not coming home after work but instead, their dad will drop them off at my work and we'll leave straight from there.

Dedicated Disney travelers. That's who.

In hindsight, I should gone to Target to get some specially designated Disney Undies, most of mine are in shreds. In fact, probably going to throw them away as I wear them on the trip and buy new ones when I get back. Is that more TMI than you EVER wanted to know? :lmao:
Because originally, pants were composed of two parts. One for each leg. So you always had a pair of pantaloons. Underwear also go on each leg (don't think modern), hence a pair of underwear.

Now...

Why isn't it called a pair of bra?
I did not know that! Who knew!?!

And that is a good question!
Have fun! Have a great trip! :goodvibes

Thanks, PK! It's shaping up to be quite a fun time!

So it looks like you put up a bunch of posts and now are bolting on us. I'll just say I hope you have a wonderful time and can't wait to hear about it when you return!
Thanks, Mark! It's imminent now! An 8 hour day at work then the kids and I take off for Portland to spend the night with Mikki for our 6:00AM departure. :) Woot!

In case I don't get back on before you leave, I just want to wish you a wonderful trip!
Hope you and the kids get some fun special time together:grouphug:
As always, I will be looking forward to seeing your pictures and to find out what pixiedust:you get lucky enough to get...again.. (and I will try not to be jealous:rolleyes:)
Save travels and enjoy!!
Thanks, Shelly! It's going to be a wonderful time in so many ways. I have a bombshell surprise as well but have to wait on that until I get back. ;)

I'm sure there will be many stories to share and photos to show. :) Can't wait to write about them!

Yes, absolutely! I love the Poly

It's so, so lovely! And we've planned plenty of time to really enjoy it.

I love TS, too and have a small collection of tiki mugs from there. But didn't you just get some cool ones in CA? Your trip looked amazing!

It was an amazing trip for sure!! I am planning to do a TR on it, but as an embedded one here on this thread. I picked up 2 more mugs for my little collection. They are both so fun!!

Eek….too early!

WAY.

Thanks, Google ::yes::

And I hope you remembered to bring yours!
I did!!! They are packed in the bag and the bag is in the car!

Ok Friends,

It's that time. I'm caught up on replies here and it's go time! At 10:00 I get a quick last nail job (Haunted Mansion Purple!!) and the bags are loaded in the car so I don't have to come back home after work. The kids' dad will drop them off there and we can hop on the freeway in no time. I'm scheduled until "late" which means I leave when the last patient leaves. Could be 6:00, could be 10:00. After a few short hours of sleep (hopefully!) we'll be up at 2:30AM for a 3:00 ride (thanks to Mikki's roommate!) to catch our 6:00AM flight. By tomorrow night, we'll be tapping our feet and clapping our hands to the sounds of Celtic music and eating Disney Irish food.

Take care, Everyone and I'll see you on the other end of another Magical Trip!

I hope you have a magical trip with your kids. I have been busy with school and getting ready for our own trip but I have been reading.

So, do you use them once you get home?
Yes, we have about a dozen refillable mugs in the cupboard now. I don't have the heart to throw them out. I use them mostly around the house in the summer, especially if I sit in the backyard for a while to unwind, I'll take a cold drink with me in the mug (often fresh brewed iced tea, which I really got into this summer. I tried a bunch of fruit flavours and found I liked peach the best).

I just read the dessert parties went way up, some by as much as $20 more making them almost as much now as the Halloween Party. OUCH!

OUCH is right! I had a sense they were going up, but I hadn't realized it was that much. I think for me I would like to do one just to say I did it and to see what the fuss is all about (the majority of reviews I've read are positive). But I can see it being a one and done thing, just based on cost.

After being up and out until midnight partying with the ghosts and goblins, we’ll sleep off our treats with a tricky wake-up at 8:00. Not too bad,

Not in my book....I have nothing in the morning until we got to Epcot and nosh on the kiosks.

Oddly, while it IS possible to do every attraction if planned and implemented right and with a hefty dose of luck; I can never seem to, nor have the energy, inclination, or time to try.

Neither do I. Seriously I just dont have the energy to exert all that adrenaline!

the plan is to hit up the Harbor House, CR’s, or a place I’ve, believe it or not, never tried, Pinocchio’s.

I like CHH, then again fried food is my jam.

but I’m leaning on talking the kids into ordering 1 Sampler and one Chicken Pot Pie to share for the 4 of us. I’m certain that’ll be plenty! Anyone order those before? Good value? Tasty?

If you get the sampler, there may not be enough fried chicken there to split it. I think you get just one breast. But if you want the meatloaf and pot roast, then go for it.

We have a 6:00 Oga’s

Ours is 4PM, then again our Prime Time is at 1:15.

After doing a little shady business, we’ll head to the Droid Depot for the one thing my kids actually showed an ounce of excitement over. I had them over for dinner a couple of months ago and they’d actually done some of their OWN research on this and can’t wait to not just build one, but play with the interactive features of it throughout SWGE.

That's nice that they are interested in what's happening.

So, naturally, we’ll have 2 droids that we’ll use for an hour and then put on a shelf until they end up at the Goodwill in 10 years.

Or who knows, they might get some 💵 on eBay. I bet like with Tiki Mugs there will be 1st generation droids, and when people can only get later generations, the earlier ones may become possibly valuable.

What is your favorite night-time show and how do you feel about the several recent changes (Wishes to HEA, Illuminations to whatever it is now (sorry, too lazy to look it up), the changes at HS with a new projection show, etc….)?? Do you often stay for them, or jet so you can get on a bus without a

I don't really have a favorite show at WDW. I'm kinda spoiled by the shows at DL and not having to fight the crowds. Illuminations became kind of a snoozer for me, our F! blows DHS's version out of the park. We were so far away from the action when we saw HEA, I can't form an opinion. I do have to say that the SWW fireworks we saw five or so years ago were awesome.

It is such a beautiful place. I LOVED the time I spent in the lounge relaxing with a glass of wine one afternoon. Sigh.... :cloud9:

Just wait until November! You'll fall in love with the place!

M is for: My Main Munchable Musts

Yes, I spend far too much time looking ahead at things when it comes to a Disney trip. The more I research, the more it in some ways lengthens the trip before I even get there. If there are changes, I wanna know. New things to see or do? I wanna know. Dining reviews? I read them. Admit it, so do you. And let's face it, some things about planning a trip, especially to Disney, can be overwhelming if you think about the scope of it- things like maximizing your time at a hard ticket party; how to keep from standing in lines for the majority of your park time; and how to get the best bang for your buck at an EPCOT Festival.

I get it; some of you may be totally fine with showing up without any plan whatsoever. Maybe you get to go 6 or 8 times a year and don't have to "do it all". Maybe you don't ride a lot of rides and are okay browsing in shops and your time is best spent wandering around. That's GREAT! Everyone has their own way of enjoying the massive array of stuff to do at WDW, but I am a planner. It's me and, well... I'm old enough now to be okay for not speaking one word of apology for being me.

That being said, I plan and anticipate and prepare. And, in the case of tackling the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT, I do think ahead and make a list of the things I'd like to try. I've been to 4 Festivals now and have a pretty good idea of the things I want to try again, and an even better idea of the few things I never want to eat again. <Die a slow death, Escargot Croissant in France. You are gross.> But, in addition to going off of prior experience, I also love to read the reviews of the Disney Food Blog and see their photos of the current year's stuff. Thirdly, I open up their complete list of kiosks and menus and start narrowing things down. Let's face it, going into a Festival with over 30 booths is too hard to just show up and try to decide. Because stomach space is just as limited as your wallet capacity. In any given afternoon/evening my limit is about 5 or 6 dishes... fewer if I have a meal planned on top of that. (Word to the wise, go with a friend! WAY more fun to share and split- twice the tasties!)

I'm thrilled that this year, I planned 3 dips into the F&W Festival for maximun loading up. Because all bets are off for sensible vacation eating! If you have read my past reports at all, you know I'm not a huge dessert eater and, given the choice, I will opt for a savory over a sweet most of the time. So, you'll notice on my handy-dandy little list that most of my choices are on that side of the spectrum. 4 items made the Repeat List, and back on top spot is the Loaded Mac Cheese from Active Eats. Does it beat 8 Spoons? I'll let you know in a few weeks...

And one is not a F&W specific item, but something I fell in love with in 2017- the Empanadas from La Choza in Mexico:

Here's it is: The narrowed-down, Steppe-Approved 2019 Munchable Bunch...

But have no fear, I'll also be using the Food & Wine booklet so I can pretend I'm 3 and put stickers in all the little places. I'll also take photos of all the yummy goodies the kids and I can pack away. Perhaps, I'll strike up a fun conversation with Festival TableMates, maybe I'll spill something red and greasy on my chest. I can almost guarantee there will be stories to share, and I hope you'll join me in a few short weeks when I return!!

And now, Steppe's answer to last chapter's question: Not really, no I don't have a last day tradition or something I have to do to end my trip. My flights are usually in the mid-morning and I have to be on the Tragical Depress by 10:00 or so. It varies, but I almost never have a day to dilly dally. I usually spend my morning packing, getting my luggage checked and getting to the airport. I don't have a "last day park"; it just totally depends on the schedule I"ve made for my trip and more often than not, I'm just focused on not forgetting important things... like my camera, or purse. :rolleyes:

Now: It's YOUR turn!

Who are the Planners here and who are the Just Wing-its? Planners? WHAT do you plan and how do you organize your thoughts and notes? Wing-Its? Do you go without any ADRs or FiPs? And do you plan out your schedule at all?
I am definitely a planner. I travel a lot, but haven't been to WDW in 20 years. However, I will plan in generalizations, and then come up with a bucket list of rainy day vs. sunny day activities. I have been to NYC 12 times, and still have not made it to any of the art museums or the Museum of Natural History. I still walk 25000 steps every day! There is just so much to do that I can't fit everything in, or I am travelling with people who are not museum aficionados. It makes it worthwhile because I always have a reason to return and a goal to see how many items I can actually cross off my list! LOL!

So, for my upcoming trip to WDW, which is not until November of next year, I already pretty much know which parks I will go to each day, and I will make fast passes based on those parks, and figure out restaurant options based on where we will be at a given time, but outside of that, I am fine going with the flow and stopping and enjoying the performers, people and activities going on as I walk by. I hope that works for this trip. I am the person who would rather walk both animal trails at AK vs standing in line for a second ride on a roller coaster, even though I love those thrill rides.

My upcoming trip will be multi-generational, so that will add a new challenge to my trip planning. I seek advice from lots of sources, but have found that I am enjoying getting to know all the Disney folks in these forums, and appreciate all the valuable information they are sharing. Can't wait to read more in the upcoming months!

Ok Friends,

It's that time. I'm caught up on replies here and it's go time! At 10:00 I get a quick last nail job (Haunted Mansion Purple!!) and the bags are loaded in the car so I don't have to come back home after work. The kids' dad will drop them off there and we can hop on the freeway in no time. I'm scheduled until "late" which means I leave when the last patient leaves. Could be 6:00, could be 10:00. After a few short hours of sleep (hopefully!) we'll be up at 2:30AM for a 3:00 ride (thanks to Mikki's roommate!) to catch our 6:00AM flight. By tomorrow night, we'll be tapping our feet and clapping our hands to the sounds of Celtic music and eating Disney Irish food.

Take care, Everyone and I'll see you on the other end of another Magical Trip!
Have an amazing time!
:dance3:

Didn’t we just leave Batuu? Why, yes! Yes, we did! But, when you pay $50 (each person’s portion) for a droid, doesn’t it make sense to actually…. you know, use it?

I can understand that.

Would it be childish of me to admit that I might be even more stoked about this than my kids will ever be? Or that I will demand to borrow one on my next trip?

Heck! Bring it in November!

<Cue the bitter gnashing of teeth when I see the empty Skyliner gondolas above us going straight to where we want to go>

Well CM previewsare taking place Sept 23-26, so I think you're going to end up with some FOMO.

The BFP (Big Fat Plan) is to spend the rest of the day in EPCOT feasting our way from kiosk to kiosk

I've got a day of this planned, but only one. :sad2:

dinner at Spice Road Table- another first for this gal.

The spicy garlic shrimp is very good, they served us that at a F&W lunch and also the lamb was very good. I'm sure you'll want the hummus too. The merguez (lamb sausage on the menu) is one of my favorite meats. I have some in my freezer for when I make Moroccan couscous.

I can skip ROL,

You know in my last post, this nighttime show didnt even cross my mind, it was that forgettable.

Your turn: Do you have a less-visited, not-very-popular attraction that is a family favorite or must-do for you that you love to visit simply for scratching that nostalgic itch?

I would say COP for this one. The only nostalgia is that Fran introduced me to it and I think it's nostalgic cause Walt brought it to the World's Fair. Also one of our buildings is a Gold Medallion electric building. Even though the idea was passe by the time it was built, I find the attraction cute and I live the song.

But first, breakfast at Capt. Cook’s. Maybe. We might sleep in a little and by the time we get to the Poly, get checked in, settled in our room, etc… it might be time for an early lunch and I’m dying to try the:

Pulled Pork Nachos topped with onions, cheese, spicy mayo, tomatoes and pineapple salsa $9.29

We had a similar nachos at Trader Sam's and I did bnb ot like them but YMMV.

The only thing that might possibly be able to entice me away is heading over to Trader Sam’s with my 21+s who’ve been asking to visit for quite some time. Sure, twist my arm. A new tiki cup? I’m down!

Yeah this always twists Fran's arm.....

I did tell them (my kids, not my Tiki Family) that if they want a snowball’s chance in Florida's August heat, we’ll have to be there by 3:00 sharp.

You realize they don't open until 4PM....

I know many of my readers have collections, some very large and some very small or limited. Do you collect anything (in addition to a load of credit card debt) from your trips? Could be free stuff, or paid, any category. Do you display it, use it, wear it, etc...?

We pay off our credit cards every month, so that's one thing we dont collect. But you've been to our house, we collect everything from mugs, to purses, to plushes, to pins, to figurines, and who knows what else!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts