The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Looking forward to joining in for another! I may be a bit lighter on commenting than I used to be, but “it’s not you, it’s me”. Stupid job.

Well, hey there Friend! :welcome: ! I know exactly how "stupid jobs" go! So, I'm grateful for your being here and commenting when you can find time!

Every trip is one of the Italian places in Epcot. Via Napoli or Tutto Italia. It’s my family’s favourite kind of food and we’ve always enjoyed it.
One and done. Hmm. I’ve never had a terrible experience, at least I can’t recall. There’s a few I’ve grown tired of, like 50s Prime Time, Sci Fi, Crystal Palace, Akershus. My one and done is probably Hollywood and Vine. Went there for the Disney Jr breakfast when DD was at that age. It wasn’t terrible but wasn’t that good so I have no desire to go back.

You are not the first to give an "every time" to VN, even right here on this TR. I know so many who really love it there! I can totally hear ya on the not having really "bad" experiences per se, but simply "enough" times at a certain place.

I'm here! I feel ya on hating the introduction post. How many times can you make the facts about yourself sound interesting? Of course, I say that, but yours was thoroughly enjoyable! I somehow missed that you had a second grandkid (and third on the way!); congratulations!
It always seems so awkward! "Here's me, here's what I do..." Is there anything else interesting to add?

I still haven't been able to visit my newest little peanut, but sure hope to soon!

Oh gotcha! :thumbsup2

:blush:

Correct!! (Either you have a good memory, or I'm just VERY repetitive in my TRs. ...probably both. :laughing:) We had a different server once, I think his name was Christian, who was also excellent. Not sure whether he's still there anymore.

LOL! My memory is crap these days. But I can remember completely trivial and silly pieces of information like a boss! ;)

I'd still say it's definitely worth giving a try. Most people tend to have really good experiences, I think. I expected to really enjoy it, but we just weren't particularly wowed, so for the price we probably wouldn't go back. But it's a pretty restaurant, with a small intimate kinda dining room, and you can't beat the fireworks across Seven Seas Lagoon, so it's definitely worth checking out someday.

Perhaps someday I shall.... but not in the plans for anytime soon.

Nah. You good talker.

LOL! Lots of drivel!

Oh, I hear you. I usually just... start.
It's horrible, but it gets the ball rolling I suppose.

And in my case, that equals... "rambling".

ooohhh… so Canadian of you.

I don't have to like Moosehead, right?

You're really selling this thing!

Doing my best! ;)

:eek: Still???? Mine is in the house the same time I am... and unpacked and put away no later than the next day (If I'm home late).

I know! Super lame. Perhaps today is the day!

That's no excuse, young lady!

But I have so many!

Hi! Who are you again????
Just lil' ol' me.

I'll have to look for those. :)

Even more drivel.

Cute photo. :)
I also like the black and white one of you on the train (I think it's the train?). Very nice!

It was the train. During this time it's not running, they are still staffing the station and it was fun to go up and talk to them. They let you have photos ops on the empty train and let you poke around. Worth it!

Been a few, but not as many as some of your readers, I'm sure.

I think the longest standing readers I have are @franandaj , @glennbo123 , @Captain_Oblivious and @irene_dsc

I guess 50s is one I seem to do fairly often. Just enjoy the ambiance. There might be others, but that one comes to mind.
Oh, 8 Spoons! You introduced me to that one. Lord, that shrimp mac n cheese is to die for!
I like it too but don't hit it up every trip. However, I did get there last year and will again in a few weeks. I think this time we're gonna do a sampler and a pot pie for the 4 of us.

As for 8 Spoons... :cloud9: It's an every trip for me too!

Okay... I've eaten at Boatwright's in POR... not very good.

Not done that one. Now I probably won't. Heard not so great reviews of it including yours.

Golden Oak is another one. I'd heard so many people raving about the waffle fries there. I was super stoked to try it and... very big "meh". I may even have tossed most of them.

Not tried that either, but have tried Harambe when it first opened a few years back. The ribs were dry and the slaw wasn't great. Never went back. I DO know the menu has changed and may take a look but suspect the kids and I will end up at Satuli or Flame Tree.
Harambe market... Just not good. Then again, they've completely changed their menu since then... but I'm in no hurry to try it.

I'm here! We may run into each other, DH and I will be in Disney until 9/17!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: , Chloe! Great to have you here!

We may! We'll be going pretty hard at it Commado-style since it's with kids that can go-go-go. But I will definitely keep my eyes open for you!

Let's see, a restaurant I always have to do (well mostly always) is Via Napoli!

You are not the first, or even 2nd, to say that about VN. So many people really love it. There is a particular pizza I saw on someone's TR that I want to try someday- I need to go find who posted it and ask them again what it was though.

And a one and done for me would have to be Chefs De France. I may give it another go at some point but for now I have no desire to get back!
And you're the 2nd to say that one as well. I honestly didn't think there'd be so much consistency and overlap in answers which is actually VERY eye opening! What was it that made you not enjoy it?? Very curious!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: , Chloe! Great to have you here!

We may! We'll be going pretty hard at it Commado-style since it's with kids that can go-go-go. But I will definitely keep my eyes open for you!

And I, you! 9/14 we'll be in DAK/Narcooses, 9/15 Ohanas for breakfast/MNSSHP , 9/16 EPCOT

You are not the first, or even 2nd, to say that about VN. So many people really love it. There is a particular pizza I saw on someone's TR that I want to try someday- I need to go find who posted it and ask them again what it was though.

The arancini is also amazing. Don't sleep on the arancini!

And you're the 2nd to say that one as well. I honestly didn't think there'd be so much consistency and overlap in answers which is actually VERY eye opening! What was it that made you not enjoy it?? Very curious!

How interesting! The food was all very bland and the tables were so close together. In fact, my Mom may or may not have accidentily flung a piece of food onto the person next to her when cutting her chicken haha funny memories there but there are just SO many other great places to eat that I'm very meh about going back! But Monsieur Paul's is pretty high on my list to try after your review!

And I, you! 9/14 we'll be in DAK/Narcooses, 9/15 Ohanas for breakfast/MNSSHP , 9/16 EPCOT

We'll be on the lookout for you at EPCOT on the 16th as we crawl the Pavilions!

The arancini is also amazing. Don't sleep on the arancini!

Those sound amazing! LOVE fried risotto. Mmmm!

How interesting! The food was all very bland and the tables were so close together. In fact, my Mom may or may not have accidentily flung a piece of food onto the person next to her when cutting her chicken haha funny memories there but there are just SO many other great places to eat that I'm very meh about going back! But Monsieur Paul's is pretty high on my list to try after your review!

Buhahahahahha! Ok, that's funny! :lmao:

I'm the same way! If a place is "meh" there are pleeeeeeeeeeenty of other places on the to-do list.

B is for: But, When are you Going?

The timing of trips, especially when they are not solo trips, can be especially tricky. I have loved all of my Fall trips, so aimed for that when deciding when to go. Originally, my other daughter and her husband were supposed to go with us, but things changed a bit and now, in hindsight, it’s a good thing they aren’t going after all. She ended up getting preggers since we planned the trip and it’d be a very different trip had they still been part of the group. She’s due Dec. 3rd, so it’d have affected her, and by default, all of us. And not just a little bit. Someday, maybe she’ll get to go again, but not for a while I suppose.

On top of that, when we started planning this family trip over 2 years ago, I knew I’d have kids still in school, either college or high school, so needed to take that into account. As the time got closer last year when I wanted to make our resort ressies, I looked up the school calendars and planned the trip so that it would end before they started. Luckily, the school that Anara goes to starts in very late September and we could go then, after the weather is just a couple degrees cooler, and when we’d get to do a Party, and when the crowds would be substantially thinner. Plus… Food and Wine. Need I say more?

Then they announced the opening date for SWGE. To say it was a HUGE shock to us all would be a gross understatement. NO ONE saw that coming. I’m glad for it, don’t get me wrong, but the crowd estimates shot up like a Main Street balloon from a toddler’s hand on a windy day. It was far too late to change dates, and I wouldn’t have anyway, but it sure monkeyed with every spreadsheet draft I’d done up.

Given all of that, we’ll be flying out on September 13th at the very dark and horrible hour of 6:00AM. Which means a 4:00AM Uber from my daughter’s place. She lives much closer to the airport which will both save us parking fees and give us an extra hour of sleep. We’re scheduled to get into MCO at the perfect time of 3:15PM (they are almost always early though) which gets us to DTD in plenty of time for dinner. The kids will all fly home together on the 22nd and I will stay on doing my own thing after that. Yes, I have plans but am protecting those and my time a bit. But, I will share some of what I do all in the right time.

9 days is plenty long enough to have some really nice park time together , enough extra to have a day be completely at our resort and enjoy the Florida sun and pool (more on that later), spend time at DTD (sorry, I’m a stubborn woman and it will always be a nostalgic DTD to me) for shopping, some live music, and to enjoy both new and old places to eat, etc…

Steppe’s answer to last chapter’s Get-To-Know-Ya Question:

My try-to-get-to-every-time place would probably be Tiffins or the Nomad Lounge. Sigh…. just wonderful memories there, amazing atmosphere, and they have my beloved Pisco Sour and will make it with the egg white. The food is so excellent at both places and it’s quiet enough to have a decent conversation. Plus, at the Nomad, I adore the outside seating area!! COMFY!!!

My one-and-done? Sci-Fi Drive-in. Food was terrible, the seating uncomfortable, and while themed fun, there is no way to “unplug” and have some sensory “downtime”. I need that over a meal for a mental break.

Now…. Your turn!

What was your favorite resort you’ve stayed and why? And what is a little hidden secret or piece of advice you can share about it?

Last edited:
Then they announced the opening date for SWGE.

Were you able to get any reservations to Oga’s Cantina or other SWGE experiences when they unexpectedly opened them up last Wednesday? I lucked out and saw the news about it on Instagram (the Dis account, actually) early in the afternoon and was able to snag everything we wanted.

As for a favorite resort, Aulani and the adults-only pool, is pretty darned awesome. If I have to limit it to WDW, it has to be Animal Kingdom Lodge...the lobby of Jambo House.

Were you able to get any reservations to Oga’s Cantina or other SWGE experiences when they unexpectedly opened them up last Wednesday? I lucked out and saw the news about it on Instagram (the Dis account, actually) early in the afternoon and was able to snag everything we wanted.

Yes, and no.

I did, but it wasn't me! LOL! Brook completely surprised me while I was at work (I can't be on my phone much) so found out hours after the fact that she got us both Oga's for after our Prime Time and a Droid experience after that. My kids were pretty stoked as this is at the top of their list of stuff they want to do. I'm glad you got one too. I was pretty amused at how many people jumped all over it, but had no idea what Oga's even was! LOLOLOL! I think a lot of folks thought it was a restaurant so are now wondering why they even bothered. I did know it was a bar, but was also thinking they'd have at least a little more than $8 bar snack mix. Glad we're going AFTER dinner! I have a feeling when people start to realize #1, you kinda HAVE to buy a $15 drink, #2 there is a 2 drink max per guest (not an issue for me, but do wonder if some people might have though they could camp if they bought more, and #3, there is a 45-minute time limit, the ADRs will be given back and it'll be easier to get one.

As for a favorite resort, Aulani and the adults-only pool, is pretty darned awesome. If I have to limit it to WDW, it has to be Animal Kingdom Lodge...the lobby of Jambo House.

Aulani is WAY up there on my list to travel to. Has been for a very long time. Someday.... I had a feeling you'd say AKL and specifically Jambo being that Kidani is your home resort. (It is, right?) I'd agree... so grand and spectacular!

Hello again, joining in again!

You might laugh at that, but I traveled a few weeks ago and my suitcase it literally still in the car.

I feel this! My suitcase can sit on the floor for months before I actually decide to empty it out and put it away...

No weekends, no holidays, no code browns

No code browns? What a life, I'm so tired of poo!

Alice and Rowan

What sweet names!

What is one Disney Restaurant you try to do EVERY trip and what is one you have tried but was a One and Done for you?

Hmmm... I try to do Sanaa every trip. That's something I crave when I'm not at Disney, I'm obsessed with the bread service and the butter chicken. We also tend to to Yak & Yeti.

One and Done... hmmm.. somehow this is much harder. Maybe California Grill for dinner? Kind of hard to justify the value and I really don't think I could convince Dad to go back there (though he does love the brunch). That could probably be said for Jiko for him, but I'd like to go there again! What are yours?

What was your favorite resort you’ve stayed and why? And what is a little hidden secret or piece of advice you can share about it?
Well, I’ve never stayed in a Deluxe resort, so I’m sure that would drastically change my opinion. But of the few I’ve stayed at, I would say Art of Animation. I should add a caveat that we were in a family suite. I loved having two bathrooms and the extra living space was fantastic.

Hello again, joining in again!

Well, hello there, Kara! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: !! So wonderful to have you here and reading along! :hug:

I feel this! My suitcase can sit on the floor for months before I actually decide to empty it out and put it away...

It's such a chore, isn't it? I have gotten better in the last few trips, but did a bit of backsliding in my adulting this last one.

No code browns? What a life, I'm so tired of poo!

I know!! I had plenty on NTCU during my Preceptorship, but yeah.... living the Nursey Highlife! LOL!

What sweet names!

They are just precious!

Hmmm... I try to do Sanaa every trip. That's something I crave when I'm not at Disney, I'm obsessed with the bread service and the butter chicken. We also tend to to Yak & Yeti.

I adore Sanaa! I'll be there again with the kiddos in a few short weeks---- for the BREAD SERVICE!!! YUM!

One and Done... hmmm.. somehow this is much harder. Maybe California Grill for dinner? Kind of hard to justify the value and I really don't think I could convince Dad to go back there (though he does love the brunch). That could probably be said for Jiko for him, but I'd like to go there again! What are yours?

I've been to Cali twice for dinners and both have been decent... not spectacular. Still, would go again to give it another shot. I do like their menu a lot. I've also done Jiko twice, the 2nd time as part of the Wanyama Tour and it was great. WAY too much food, but so good! Maybe you could get him to go again as part of that tour?

I'll share mine in my next update. :)

Well, I’ve never stayed in a Deluxe resort, so I’m sure that would drastically change my opinion. But of the few I’ve stayed at, I would say Art of Animation. I should add a caveat that we were in a family suite. I loved having two bathrooms and the extra living space was fantastic.
Of the values I'd say that was my favorite too. The food court is amazing, the pool so colorful and interactive and the rooms were very nice. That said, I did NOT like that the only normal rooms are in Siberia there. I didn't know mermaid liked that cold of water. :rolleyes: And the suites are almost as expensive as a preferred mod room. I know it's awesome for young families and there are a LOT of those that go to Disney and need lots of space, but we would have loved a Cars room for the theming, and I just couldn't justifiy the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!