The Bear Necessities! April 2019 W.I.S.H Goals

AND... since it's almost midnight here, and it's Wednesday SOMEWHERE... Let's get woo-hooing (but in the happy sense, not in the SIMS sense... keep it G, people!!!)

What are you celebrating this WOOHOO WEDNESDAY?

I'll start with: I got an email confirming pick-up of my new bees next Tuesday. We lost our colony 2 winters ago and I didn't want to replace them last year because I wasn't sure whether we'd be moving. I went ahead and bet on getting accepted to Nursing school (which means that even if H gets accepted to an out-of-state medical school, I won't be moving, we'd just have 2 households for a while,) and ordered these little guys back in March, which is SUPER-LATE in the beekeeping game, and I was lucky to find any... and for a great price, too! The downside? I have to pick them up next week at 8am 90 miles north of here... then drive home in a car full of 20,000 bees... :eek:

But it *WAS* good news to hear that (a)my order wasn't lost (b) they are arriving on time!!! I still haven't told the kids, they will be SO excited! It sounds weird, but there is something so calming about just sitting in my herb garden, watching my clever little girls come and go and hearing them buzz so contentedly. (And it's funny when they carry pollen, because they stick it all over their back legs, so they look like they are wearing bright yellow "hammer pants..." that never gets old...)

I'm *HOPING* to have another woohoo late Wednesday evening, but it's still tentative, so I'm not telling until it's for sure... (oooooohhhh, mysterious!!!!!):rotfl2:

Hello, Dearies! How beautiful the weather is here today! Not that I can tell, because DD15 is back in the hospital today, on the side with no windows, and insists on keeping the lights off. She spiked a high fever last night and we are waiting for the IV fluids to fill her bladder enough for her to do a urine sample and an ultrasound. Never a dull moment with that one. Meanwhile, DD11 spends wayyyy too much time on Pinterest, and has been bugging me that "it's time for spring cleaning!" Which brings us to:

TOPIC TUESDAY: FIBER!!!! (Hehe, I've been waiting for this one!!!)
So it turns out this trip was due to an extremely aggressive UTI, probably all the way up in the right kidney, but they've pumped her full of antibiotics, and now she just needs to sleep and drink and wait for it all to work. She has to be below 100.3F for 24 hours before she can return to school, so she'll miss school again tomorrow. It's funny, but in our world, this is good news... something identifiable and easily treatable. I wish I could say that I used the boring time sitting in the ER to do statistics work, but... nope... I'll pretend it was the spotty internet and not the fact that I have fun games installed on my phone...

Sorry to hear she is unwell - but that you have results and are home again! You got this with the stats - its no good studying if you aren't into it - it won't go in anyway - and sitting around in a hospital does not inspire study! (well hopefully for the doctors it does - but for us mere mortals, not so much). Oh - and I love how you went from Spring Cleaning to well... Spring Cleaning :rotfl:

Now to Fibre - when I switched to Keto - this was an issue and for several weeks leaving a very uncomfortable feeling o_O That has evened out now as my body adjusted. I do include spinach in quite a few of the meals each week - but in honesty at the moment I suspect I would not be reaching the recommended amount of fibre.

All in all I am doing ok. Everything has hit me today and I have been a bit weeping at times. I think I am just worried and over whelmed with everything happening at once. I was surprisingly very calm yesterday. I think it just hadn't fully hit me yet until today. Eating has been not so good yesterday or today as I just want to stress eat but also trying to not go over board too.

Oh Piglet! :hug: So happy to hear you have some answers for your daughter - I bet she is coping ok so far because she has an answer also rather than it feeling in her head and causing anxiety. pixiedust: and prayers for your Dad's recovery - seems he is strong. It is a weird month isn't it? My mum called on Monday to say the son of long time friends of my parents had a massive heart attached Easter Sunday and passed away - he was only in his mid 50s. Be kind to yourself this month - cry when you need to and find little moments to take care of you in the midst of taking care of everyone else - we will be sending you thoughts and will be here whenever you need/have time to pop in :grouphug:

Thanks to all for the congrats! Honestly, originally I just wanted to go to the 2 year program 4 miles from my house... so convenient... and this is a "second act" career for me, with an eye on working in a nursing home some day, so a basic RN would have been enough... but it has been such a drama getting onto the list at that school, it will actually be FASTER for me to just do the 4 year degree (because I've already completed the first 2 years of courses.) While I was waiting on the 2 year RN program, I was teaching/tutoring for Anatomy and Physiology (some of my students were actually *IN* the nursing program, how's that for a kick in the teeth???) and I was reminded how much I love teaching, so in the end, the 4 year program is probably a better fit for me, because I can do that, do a part-time Master's while I get some practical experience, and then eventually maybe I can teach part-time somewhere.

You know it sounds like you landed right where you were supposed to - the universe works its magic like that sometimes :confused3:-)

AND... since it's almost midnight here, and it's Wednesday SOMEWHERE... Let's get woo-hooing (but in the happy sense, not in the SIMS sense... keep it G, people!!!)

Would that be where I am ? :D okay here are my WOOHOOS

• First and foremost DD and I went to see Avengers End Game :charac4: this afternoon on VMAX screen on a daybed near the front of the cinema! I was so close I felt like I was in the movie!! I will not be a spoiler :rolleyes1but will just say OMG :love: it. I was busting for the restroom about an hour and a half out from the end - but held it - thank god for laying down in the daybed so gravity was alleviated :rotfl2:
  • I meal planned yesterday and shopped for the week - I am feeling back on track (except for tonight - movie dinner)
  • Its a day off again here tomorrow for Anzac Day - which is kind of like your Veterans Day I suppose.
  • I officially got my professional progression at work this week - so a much needed pay rise for me
(And it's funny when they carry pollen, because they stick it all over their back legs, so they look like they are wearing bright yellow "hammer pants..." that never gets old...)

Oh that sounds so cute!

I'm *HOPING* to have another woohoo late Wednesday evening, but it's still tentative, so I'm not telling until it's for sure... (oooooohhhh, mysterious!!!!!):rotfl2:

Hmmmm you are mysterious - pixiedust: for your possible WOOHOO

I'll start with: I got an email confirming pick-up of my new bees next Tuesday. We lost our colony 2 winters ago and I didn't want to replace them last year because I wasn't sure whether we'd be moving. I went ahead and bet on getting accepted to Nursing school (which means that even if H gets accepted to an out-of-state medical school, I won't be moving, we'd just have 2 households for a while,) and ordered these little guys back in March, which is SUPER-LATE in the beekeeping game, and I was lucky to find any... and for a great price, too! The downside? I have to pick them up next week at 8am 90 miles north of here... then drive home in a car full of 20,000 bees... :eek:

But it *WAS* good news to hear that (a)my order wasn't lost (b) they are arriving on time!!! I still haven't told the kids, they will be SO excited! It sounds weird, but there is something so calming about just sitting in my herb garden, watching my clever little girls come and go and hearing them buzz so contentedly. (And it's funny when they carry pollen, because they stick it all over their back legs, so they look like they are wearing bright yellow "hammer pants..." that never gets old...)

After reading how our poor bees are dying out, thank you for replenishing them. I hope to plant some things along the side of the house to attract them.
Glad you’re home and your daughter is recuperating.

Sorry to hear she is unwell - but that you have results and are home again! You got this with the stats - its no good studying if you aren't into it - it won't go in anyway - and sitting around in a hospital does not inspire study! (well hopefully for the doctors it does - but for us mere mortals, not so much). Oh - and I love how you went from Spring Cleaning to well... Spring Cleaning :rotfl:

Now to Fibre - when I switched to Keto - this was an issue and for several weeks leaving a very uncomfortable feeling o_O That has evened out now as my body adjusted. I do include spinach in quite a few of the meals each week - but in honesty at the moment I suspect I would not be reaching the recommended amount of fibre.

Oh Piglet! :hug: So happy to hear you have some answers for your daughter - I bet she is coping ok so far because she has an answer also rather than it feeling in her head and causing anxiety. pixiedust: and prayers for your Dad's recovery - seems he is strong. It is a weird month isn't it? My mum called on Monday to say the son of long time friends of my parents had a massive heart attached Easter Sunday and passed away - he was only in his mid 50s. Be kind to yourself this month - cry when you need to and find little moments to take care of you in the midst of taking care of everyone else - we will be sending you thoughts and will be here whenever you need/have time to pop in :grouphug:

You know it sounds like you landed right where you were supposed to - the universe works its magic like that sometimes :confused3:-)

• First and foremost DD and I went to see Avengers End Game :charac4: this afternoon on VMAX screen on a daybed near the front of the cinema! I was so close I felt like I was in the movie!! I will not be a spoiler :rolleyes1but will just say OMG :love: it. I was busting for the restroom about an hour and a half out from the end - but held it - thank god for laying down in the daybed so gravity was alleviated :rotfl2:
  • I meal planned yesterday and shopped for the week - I am feeling back on track (except for tonight - movie dinner)
  • Its a day off again here tomorrow for Anzac Day - which is kind of like your Veterans Day I suppose.
  • I officially got my professional progression at work this week - so a much needed pay rise for me

Oh that sounds so cute!

Hmmmm you are mysterious - pixiedust: for your possible WOOHOO

These are all awesome woohoos!

My woohoo is that it’s another beautiful spring day and I’m sitting on the deck drinking my morning Diet Coke-isn’t that awful? But I don’t drink coffee and it’s too warm for tea. In a little while I will drive to the library and pick up a book I reserved that’s waiting for me. It’s a true story about a woman spy during WWII-I just finished a book called Dopesick about the opioid crisis, and oh my, what a depressing although illuminating read. I never realized you could become addicted after taking opioids in as little as a week! If I ever have to have any surgery and they hand me a prescription for 30 OxyContin, I will say “heck, no!”

Forgot to post congratulations on nursing school yesterday - so congrats!

Woohoo..

Even with some overcast, this morning it was light outside when walking to the bus stop... daytime light!

I mowed the lawn last evening and it actually looks pretty good, considering how it looked before I reseeded it. There's one little section that is down right pretty with fresh new grass. This evening I hope to get some work done on the garden bed in the middle of the lawn... cutting in clean edges should make the grass look even better.

And that's all I've got for today... grass and sunlight.

eta... I almost forgot, also woohoo that no one dumped iced tea on me this week.

Last edited:

Hello, Dearies! How beautiful the weather is here today! Not that I can tell, because DD15 is back in the hospital today, on the side with no windows, and insists on keeping the lights off. She spiked a high fever last night and we are waiting for the IV fluids to fill her bladder enough for her to do a urine sample and an ultrasound. Never a dull moment with that one. Meanwhile, DD11 spends wayyyy too much time on Pinterest, and has been bugging me that "it's time for spring cleaning!" Which brings us to:

So it turns out this trip was due to an extremely aggressive UTI, probably all the way up in the right kidney, but they've pumped her full of antibiotics, and now she just needs to sleep and drink and wait for it all to work. She has to be below 100.3F for 24 hours before she can return to school, so she'll miss school again tomorrow. It's funny, but in our world, this is good news... something identifiable and easily treatable. I wish I could say that I used the boring time sitting in the ER to do statistics work, but... nope... I'll pretend it was the spotty internet and not the fact that I have fun games installed on my phone...

Oh My Goodness! I just what was going on. I am glad that they were able to figure it out. Praying for a quick recovery.

I am so sorry for your loss. My dad is only 61. My parents had us very young. My dad's heart attack was most likely caused by very heavy smoking (like packs a day) for as long as I can remember and crappy eating he does. I swear he doesn't eat any veggies and maybe not even fruit. This will be a life style change for him for sure. As long as he follows dr. orders.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have a big woohoo. Dad gets to come home today. Well home as in his boat house in Kentucky. They are staying there before heading back to Ohio/West Virginia (they live on the boarder). This way they can rest a little bit longer. I talked to him last night after what sounded like a rough day. They placed a stint and he had lots of pain from that. I put myself in charge of keeping the family updated. I called my grandparents and talked to my grandpa. It was a very quick call and it sounded like he started to cry at one point. that get to me. He never shows emotion ever.

I haven't really cried yet. I get weepy at work and then pull myself together. I hate crying at work. But by the time I get home I am not weepy anymore. Though maybe because I feel comfortable and safe with DH and have more time to talk.

DD is home from school this morning. Out of the blue she vomited on the carpet in the middle of her room. Thankfully DH handles this. Since being on crutches she can't move very fast. We are not sure what caused it as she seems fine now. I am hoping that it was just a fluke and she will be fine. She says she is not worried about anything. We haven't told the kids yet about my dad. So it would n't be this and she seems happy about the passable surgery. We are going to tell them this weekend so they have time to ask questions and can process it before going back to school. We would have told them sooner if we needed to.

Happy to hear all the good news here, and sad for all the sadness happening to loved ones.

We also have sad news. DH's dad is in the hospital with pneumonia and doctors don't expect him to live more than a couple months. I'm feeling some guilt I wasn't home with DH when he got this news, but I was out to dinner with a girlfriend whose husband died 6 months ago and she was feeling very sad today and asked me to join her. DH says he is fine and that he's been expecting something like this for a while. His parents are both fine with the news (Dad is 91 and Mom is a couple years younger).

Motivation I think is just sunny weather. It puts me in a happier mood!

I don't eat enough vegetables but I eat a lot of fruit. I could go look through myfitnesspal to see if I meet the daily requirements, but I think I do all right with the fiber intake.

Wahoo--I tried to book a WDW trip tonight. Tried because I'm booking it through Costco and couldn't remember my password. All password retrieval attempts were miserable failures, but wahoo we are going to Florida!!!!

have a big woohoo. Dad gets to come home today. Well home as in his boat house in Kentucky. They are staying there before heading back to Ohio/West Virginia (they live on the boarder). This way they can rest a little bit longer. I talked to him last night after what sounded like a rough day. They placed a stint and he had lots of pain from that. I put myself in charge of keeping the family updated. I called my grandparents and talked to my grandpa. It was a very quick call and it sounded like he started to cry at one point. that get to me. He never shows emotion ever.

So glad to hear that your Dad is doing well enough to leave hospital. Some recuperation on a house boat sounds wonderful.

We also have sad news. DH's dad is in the hospital with pneumonia and doctors don't expect him to live more than a couple months. I'm feeling some guilt I wasn't home with DH when he got this news, but I was out to dinner with a girlfriend whose husband died 6 months ago and she was feeling very sad today and asked me to join her. DH says he is fine and that he's been expecting something like this for a while. His parents are both fine with the news (Dad is 91 and Mom is a couple years younger).

Sorry to hear this - bad news never comes at a convenient time does it? I'm sure your husband would not want you to feel guilty - but I understand we always hardest on ourselves as the caregivers of our families :hug: Sounds like you have a tough time ahead and there will lots of opportunities for you support your family. Sounds like that trip to Florida is just what you need.

So much going on for all of us right now.

I am thankful today for:
  • The wonderful support we are for each other here in our Wish thread - I know I have said it before but with so much negativity that often happens on chat boards - our collective positivity, respect and support for where each of us are at whilst we are trying our best to improve our lives and support our families is a light on some dark days.
  • Those that have given their lives in war so that we can live our best lives - ANZAC Day - "At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them"

• First and foremost DD and I went to see Avengers End Game :charac4: this afternoon on VMAX screen on a daybed near the front of the cinema! I was so close I felt like I was in the movie!! I will not be a spoiler :rolleyes1but will just say OMG :love: it. I was busting for the restroom about an hour and a half out from the end - but held it - thank god for laying down in the daybed so gravity was alleviated :rotfl2:...

I'm jealous, and I thank you for no spoilers! We have "4-D" tickets for Saturday afternoon, and I am looking forward to it. :jumping3:

My Wednesday was not terribly "Woohoo-ish"...but today is a new day. :goodvibes

Hello, Dearies!!!

As a couple of my fellow nerds have already mentioned, Avengers Endgame officially opens tomorrow, so earlybird showings are apparently already starting! I'm still holding out hope that at the end of some premier in the US, right at the end, Stan Lee will pop out and say "Look, it worked! I'm back!" And his recent death will turn out to be a total hoax and he's just been in hiding...

And actually, that is my big "thankful" for today... I am thankful for the Marvel Comic Universe, and specifically, the man who was instrumental in starting it all (while acknowledging that there is a HUGE pool of talent that has made things what they are...) My first contact with Marvel was reading Xmen comics becuase I liked a boy that liked Xmen... what I discovered was a story about differences, similarities, racism, cruelty, and kindness. Actually, I did watch the Incredible Hulk TV show when I was a little kid, so technically that would be my first contact, though that version of the story was really watered down from the comic book plotline, I've heard.

With the current movie-based story arc, I am super thankful for all the strong female characters. Captain Marvel, who personifies "get knocked down 100 times, get up 101;" Wanda Maximov/Scarlet Witch, who is so powerful that she can destroy an infinity stone with one hand while holding off the other 4 with the other hand; Princess Shuri, probably the smartest person on the planet, but still a fun fashionista; Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, who completely stole the show in Iron Man 2, who outwitted Loki, and (according to the current storyline, anyway) did it all without any superpowers. And my personal favorite, Peggy Carter, who helped form SHIELD while simultaneously mourning lost love, and fighting the twin evils of Red Room and sexism in a post-WWII world. (If you haven't seen the TV show, it's fantastic... too bad it only lasted 2 seasons...)

So today, what artists/writers are you thankful for?

Now, on a separate note, my 4 little woohoos did in fact arrive last night, and I'll post a picture as soon as I get a good one... but I am fostering four 8-ish week old kittens!!! 3 boys, 1 girl, still very shy, but I'll start with I'm thankful that they instinctively understand litterboxes!!! I'm also thankful that even with all that has gone down this month, there's enough left in the checking account to go out in a bit and buy some air freshener plug-ins, because yeah, going from 1-cat-who-goes-outside to 5 cats overnight is a serious smell difference!!! 5 cats, 3 indoor chicks, 2 outdoor chickens, and 2 colonies of bees inbound... Spring has sprung around here!!!

I never realized you could become addicted after taking opioids in as little as a week! If I ever have to have any surgery and they hand me a prescription for 30 OxyContin, I will say “heck, no!”
I had a percocet/oxycotin prescription when I first broke my leg, and it's easy to see how it could be addictive... it's not just that it took most of the pain away, it also made you not care about the pain that remained. I remember needing a refill and it was a fight because they were worried about addiction.

I haven't really cried yet. I get weepy at work and then pull myself together. I hate crying at work.
Cry if it helps! If not, I've heard (and can say that it does work for me) that doing math in your head helps hold back tears.

DH's dad is in the hospital with pneumonia and doctors don't expect him to live more than a couple months.

Wahoo--I tried to book a WDW trip tonight. Tried because I'm booking it through Costco and couldn't remember my password. All password retrieval attempts were miserable failures, but wahoo we are going to Florida!!!!

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, hopefully knowing that it is coming will give everyone time to make their peace. H is travelling down to Texas next month with his parent and sister to say goodbye to an Aunt who has very little time left, and I'm thankful that they are all going to get to say their goodbyes.

But woohoo for planning trips!!!

Now, on a separate note, my 4 little woohoos did in fact arrive last night, and I'll post a picture as soon as I get a good one... but I am fostering four 8-ish week old kittens!!! 3 boys, 1 girl, still very shy, but I'll start with I'm thankful that they instinctively understand litterboxes!!! I'm also thankful that even with all that has gone down this month, there's enough left in the checking account to go out in a bit and buy some air freshener plug-ins, because yeah, going from 1-cat-who-goes-outside to 5 cats overnight is a serious smell difference!!! 5 cats, 3 indoor chicks, 2 outdoor chickens, and 2 colonies of bees inbound... Spring has sprung around here!!!

I had a percocet/oxycotin prescription when I first broke my leg, and it's easy to see how it could be addictive... it's not just that it took most of the pain away, it also made you not care about the pain that remained. I remember needing a refill and it was a fight because they were worried about addiction.

Cry if it helps! If not, I've heard (and can say that it does work for me) that doing math in your head helps hold back tears.

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, hopefully knowing that it is coming will give everyone time to make their peace. H is travelling down to Texas next month with his parent and sister to say goodbye to an Aunt who has very little time left, and I'm thankful that they are all going to get to say their goodbyes.

But woohoo for planning trips!!!
Awww... kittens!

Thankful Thursday

... thankful for a couple days of sunshine and some warmer temps.
... thankful for the people in my life, even the annoying ones.
... just plain old thankful!

Totally forgot the bonus question. Being of the age that I am, growing up the books that featured girls were fairly limited, so I loved the ones that were out there, most notably the "Laura books" (Little House etc), and Little Women. Currently I'm in to Brene Brown and Glennon Doyle, for self-learning/growth.

Last edited:
So today, what artists/writers are you thankful for?[/QUOTE]

When I was a growing up, my father’s job had us moving several times. One of the first things we would do after settling in was find the nearest library. The books I found there were my friends and companions until I made actual friends. Some of these authors-Maud Hart Lovelace and the Betsy, Tacy and Tib series, Lois Lenski, Louisa May Alcott-no matter where we lived I could find these books on the shelf.

I am sorry. The next few months I am sure are going to be hard for your family. You all will be in my thoughts.

The wonderful support we are for each other here in our Wish thread - I know I have said it before but with so much negativity that often happens on chat boards - our collective positivity, respect and support for where each of us are at whilst we are trying our best to improve our lives and support our families is a light on some dark days.

This is so true.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am thankful for a lot right now but I am truly thankful dads heart attack was not worse. Though we have not always been close (he really was not a great father) I was not ready to lose 1 of my 4 parents. I still have my biological grandparents and I am not ready for that one either though I know that will be sooner then later.

Actually, that WASN'T the bonus question... I forgot to add the bonus question... you know... with chickies and kittens and classwork (oh my!!!)

BONUS QUESTION to go with all the Marvel talk earlier... What is your super power? And what is the darkside of that super power? If you could CHOOSE a super power, what would it be?

Example- My superpower is perspective. I am very good at seeing things from other angles. The darkside of this is that it is sometimes hard to be sure of my convictions, when I can often see why people with opposing viewpoints might believe differently than me.

If I could choose a super power, I think I'd like either invisibility (so I could be even nosier than I am now...) or the ability to freeze time, in which case I'd spend all my non-time trying on all the pretty jewelry at the mall, walking around wearing it like a pirate, then slipping it back with no one ever even knowing it was gone... because it wasn't, not for a second! And since I hate crowds, it would be a way I could enjoy the mall without the crowds, just a lot of very realistic statues!

Funny you talk about super powers because today was super hero dress up day at school. Lots of fun outfits from staff and students.

I'm thankful I got the WDW trip booked! My little brother who lives in Florida says he'll be available when we're there so we can spend some time with him. Excellent. I'm hoping this trip will be motivation when I'm not feeling inspired to be healthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!