The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Went to NYC last weekend to visit with family and took my first trip to Broadway. We saw Lobby Hero and Wicked.

Lobby Hero was great! I went because I love Chris Evans, but the whole cast (all four of them :teeth:) were fantastic, especially Brian Tyree Henry. It's too bad it's a limited run, because I'd love to see it again with this cast.

Wicked was good too...we saw it from the front row, which made it a little difficult to see everything at times. I knew I'd like Wicked, though, as I've seen it before, just not on Broadway.

I had hoped to get tickets to see Hamilton when the tour comes to Atlanta, but tickets went on sale a couple of weeks ago using the digital queue system (which I hate!) and I didn't manage to get tickets. I'll either keep an eye on Stubhub or I'll wait for Orlando or Jacksonville.

Wow. Nice on the Friday forty. I’ve entered a few times. What time did they notify you? I don’t like that they say you only have one hour to buy them if you win. Sometimes at work, I just can’t drop everything, and that’s my fear—I’ll win and not see it until too late or not be able to buy them in time. I do have tickets to the show, but not till February, I think it is.

Now Hamilton, I keep plugging along. I didn’t enter a lot when it was “day of” notification, but now that you find out a day ahead, it will be easier for me when ( not if) I win. I enter pretty consistently for every day except Wednesday’s. That 8:00 show would mean I would probanly get home around 1:00 a.m. or later, and I’d be a zombie at work the next day. So far I’ve entered about 146 times. My day is coming!

I got the email at 1:02 CST, and I had to claim them by 3:00 EST.

While I never won for Hamilton, I have entered that one as well (and I will again for some of the touring performances that are within driving distance), I do like the app pop-ups. I could have easily missed an email., but it would be harder to miss a notification since it alerts rather than having to check.

I have an odd question. Is anyone seeing Jersey Boys on tour in the near future? There was a shirt I wanted on Sunday, but we didn't get back to the merchandise stand on the way out.

I haven't been thrilled with the Papermill choices lately, other than having Harry Connick in a show : ). We are probably going to see West Side Story at the Alogonquin in Manasquan and Newsies at the Axelrod. I live near the shore so those are both pretty close to me.

My daughter saw Dear Evan Hansen with the original cast, I'm dying to see it!!

This! This is how their season should run. Unless you have a season of shows that are seriously being primed for Broadway, don't drown the season in never-before-seen theatre. I wouldn't mind it as much if Paper Mill didn't do such a lackluster job of selling new shows to us. I feel like I go into every new premier not knowing what to really expect from them.

Did you see the changed the Andrew Lloyd Weber show to The Color Purple, now I’m annnoyed I skipped that show! May add it!

Did you see the changed the Andrew Lloyd Weber show to The Color Purple, now I’m annnoyed I skipped that show! May add it!

I SAW! I'm so excited! We ended up with 3 shows this season, Unmasked, Holiday Inn and Beauty and the Beast. I wasn't thrilled about Unmasked, but I LOVED TCP on Broadway so I'm really excited to see it at Paper Mill!

I SAW! I'm so excited! We ended up with 3 shows this season, Unmasked, Holiday Inn and Beauty and the Beast. I wasn't thrilled about Unmasked, but I LOVED TCP on Broadway so I'm really excited to see it at Paper Mill!

I know now I feel like I need to up it to 4 shows since I was skipping that one!

So I know that this is a Broadway thread but wanted to throw in my West End 2 cents worth. Just spent a week in London and saw a few things. Chess revival was, in my never to be humble opinion, a bit of a mess. Was pretty disappointed actually. Red with Alfreds Molina and Enoch was FANTASTIC!!!!! Saw Young Frankenstein again (saw it in Seattle previews years ago and wanted to see it again as my DH was just cast as Igor locally). It was still pretty funny although the London version is a bit changed up from Broadway and I liked Broadway better. Saw a play called Consent which was awesome. First time I have seen an actual newborn infant used in a show. Was getting a bit fussy but did well overall. That would be risky business if you ask me! We also saw Everybody's Talking About Jamie. Its also fantastic. The story is a bit cliche but the music and performances make up for it. Highly recommend that one. And, lastly, my fave show was Bat Out Of Hell! I HOPE this comes to Broadway. It's a delight for both the eyes and the ears! So if you are heading across the pond (or already live there) that's my tidbit report. :wave:

So I know that this is a Broadway thread but wanted to throw in my West End 2 cents worth. Just spent a week in London and saw a few things. Chess revival was, in my never to be humble opinion, a bit of a mess. Was pretty disappointed actually. Red with Alfreds Molina and Enoch was FANTASTIC!!!!! Saw Young Frankenstein again (saw it in Seattle previews years ago and wanted to see it again as my DH was just cast as Igor locally). It was still pretty funny although the London version is a bit changed up from Broadway and I liked Broadway better. Saw a play called Consent which was awesome. First time I have seen an actual newborn infant used in a show. Was getting a bit fussy but did well overall. That would be risky business if you ask me! We also saw Everybody's Talking About Jamie. Its also fantastic. The story is a bit cliche but the music and performances make up for it. Highly recommend that one. And, lastly, my fave show was Bat Out Of Hell! I HOPE this comes to Broadway. It's a delight for both the eyes and the ears! So if you are heading across the pond (or already live there) that's my tidbit report. :wave:
Thank you! I am loving hearing about the shows in different parts of Europe.

Well finally saw Escape to Margaritaville today. It was fun. Cast was great. I liked it better than Frozen. My DD wants to see margaritaville again (before it closes).

Saw Hello Dolly a few mos ago with Bernadette Peters. Will see it again before it closes. It was fantastic! the whole cast was great!
Have been trying the Hamilton and Book of Mormon lotteries for a while... No luck!

I want to see My Fair Lady and Carousel. The Frozen cast has been hitting daytime TV to drum up sales, but what I've seen ( Let It Go and For the First Time in Forever) hasn't impressed me.

So far I saw this year I’ve seen 5 shows and have two more to see. We take the train up from Philly to Penn Station (if anyone is interested, Amtrak is $88 round trip! It’s not bad!)

Hamilton; It was good but a little disappointed. Would I see it again? I’m not sure. Maybe if ticket prices weren’t so expensive. - Saw in January

Waitress: I was surprised how good this was! I honestly only purchased tickets because of Katharine McPhee and she was so good! We bought a second set of tickets to see her again! - Saw in April

Anastasia: Second time seeing the show. I love the cast so much! I saw Zach Adkin’s Dimitri this time (saw Derek Klena’s last time) and I liked Zach’s much better. - Saw in May

Frozen: The music is good and I adore Patti Murin and Caissie Levy but overall the show still needs a lot of work. Bringing Sven to life was the highlight for me. Sven and Kristoff were great together. Let It Go and Monster were great. Audience loved those! - Saw in May

Dear Evan Hansen: Second time seeing this one and this time from front row! I’ll always recommend this show over any show. Taylor Trensch was just so amazing. Ugh he killed me especially during the assembly right before You Will Be Found when he sobbing and during So Big / So Small with Rachel Bay Jones. - Saw in May

Next we have Waitress again and Once on this Island. For OOTI I believe our seats are front row in the sand so that should be interesting!

Saw Once on This Island yesterday from lottery loser tickets. Second row by the water. While it was very cool to be so close to the actors at times, I thought the show was just ok. Nothing about it really grabbed me.

But, in other news, my daughters presented me with a belated Mothers Day gift—a ticket to Hamilton in February! I’m still trying the lottery several times a week. I’m up to approximately 141 entries. I didn’t enter much in May as I made two out of state trips for my daughter’s graduation from pt school. The end of January /beginning of February will be a great theater time for me, as I also have Harry Potter tickets at that time.

Saw Once on This Island yesterday from lottery loser tickets. Second row by the water. While it was very cool to be so close to the actors at times, I thought the show was just ok. Nothing about it really grabbed me.

But, in other news, my daughters presented me with a belated Mothers Day gift—a ticket to Hamilton in February! I’m still trying the lottery several times a week. I’m up to approximately 141 entries. I didn’t enter much in May as I made two out of state trips for my daughter’s graduation from pt school. The end of January /beginning of February will be a great theater time for me, as I also have Harry Potter tickets at that time.

That’s my worry about Once on this Island. I’m sure it will be fine but I’m kind of worried I’m going to not like it.

I’d loooooove to see Harry Potter but I’m not a fan of staying in hotels so Not sure I want to see pt 1 if I can’t see pt 2 too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!