The cost to hobby

TheDisneyDoll

DIS Veteran
I consider myself a bit of a hobby-ist.
I have to many interests and i'm a bit to fickle to dedicate all my time and resources to one thing.

Well my latest interest is sewing, I've had a desire to take classes and find a good beginning pace but dang it's not a cheap hobby.

So i'm curious, what are some of y'alls hobbies, and where do you find ways to cut your expenses?

Ughhh...don't even get me started. My big hobby is auto racing. To say it's expensive is an understatement. To fund it, I drive a pretty cheap car daily and pretty much don't buy anything for myself.

I also love outdoor Xmas decorating and have invested a lot in that...a ton. But that was built largely with 75% off after Xmas clearance sales.

Ughhh...don't even get me started. My big hobby is auto racing. To say it's expensive is an understatement. To fund it, I drive a pretty cheap car daily and pretty much don't buy anything for myself.

I also love outdoor Xmas decorating and have invested a lot in that...a ton. But that was built largely with 75% off after Xmas clearance sales.
oh I used to be into drag racing when I was younger. I drove a Jr. Dragster. I do miss racing, it's definitely highly expensive though.

Ughhh...don't even get me started. My big hobby is auto racing. To say it's expensive is an understatement. To fund it, I drive a pretty cheap car daily and pretty much don't buy anything for myself

My DH is a dirt track racer so I completely understand the cost...in both money and time!

I horseback ride regularly and am getting into showing. I don’t own a horse yet, but between lessons, apparel, transportation, etc. the expenses add up.

DH and I always joke about our hobbies are why we aren’t having kids :rotfl:

My DH is a dirt track racer so I completely understand the cost...in both money and time!

I horseback ride regularly and am getting into showing. I don’t own a horse yet, but between lessons, apparel, transportation, etc. the expenses add up.

DH and I always joke about our hobbies are why we aren’t having kids :rotfl:
children are a very expensive hobby I've heard lol

I knit and crochet. I ended up getting a part time job at Michael's to offset my hobby. I now teach knit and crochet there.

I knit and crochet. I ended up getting a part time job at Michael's to offset my hobby. I now teach knit and crochet there.
I have thought about applying and seeing if I can work evenings and weekends. I have a desk job so most weekdays I work in an office.

I have thought about applying and seeing if I can work evenings and weekends. I have a desk job so most weekdays I work in an office.

I have a desk job too. I only work at Michael's evenings-- I told them from the beginning I couldn't be there until 5:30 and we close at 9-- and weekends. I don't work EVERY evening and weekend. 2-3 days/week, this week I only worked Sunday. I work in framing and teach.

I travel occasionally for my regular job as well and they've never had an issue giving me the time off.

I love to sew as well! It is not cheap! For me, it is not a hobby to save money but for the creativity outlet. Here are some tips I "try" to adhere to:
1. Work on one thing at a time and do not purchase more fabric or patterns than you can do with in a few weeks. Trust me, this is really hard....
2. Download the app to Jo Ann's as they have coupons / etc on their app.
3. Your first make of a pattern should be a muslin so you know how fits before you cut into your good fabric.
4. Start learning by using indie patterns. They are more expensive but the instructions are tons better and less chance of you giving up on a project.
5. Join pattern review website to review patterns before you buy them to read other people's thoughts.
6. Join Craftsy unlimited classes for $15/month. Worth every penny....
Not much "savings" but hope it helps!

I have a desk job too. I only work at Michael's evenings-- I told them from the beginning I couldn't be there until 5:30 and we close at 9-- and weekends. I don't work EVERY evening and weekend. 2-3 days/week, this week I only worked Sunday. I work in framing and teach.

I travel occasionally for my regular job as well and they've never had an issue giving me the time off.
ugh that sounds perfect for me. I've applied for a few different jobs but the scheduling has been an issue, i'm going to check at my local Michaels! Thanks :D

I love to sew as well! It is not cheap! For me, it is not a hobby to save money but for the creativity outlet. Here are some tips I "try" to adhere to:
1. Work on one thing at a time and do not purchase more fabric or patterns than you can do with in a few weeks. Trust me, this is really hard....
2. Download the app to Jo Ann's as they have coupons / etc on their app.
3. Your first make of a pattern should be a muslin so you know how fits before you cut into your good fabric.
4. Start learning by using indie patterns. They are more expensive but the instructions are tons better and less chance of you giving up on a project.
5. Join pattern review website to review patterns before you buy them to read other people's thoughts.
6. Join Craftsy unlimited classes for $15/month. Worth every penny....
Not much "savings" but hope it helps!
I haven't even started sewing but I have looked at a few of the resources you've mentioned, which makes me feel like i'm on the right track :)
I was thinking of taking a couple beginner classes at Joanns before investing in a machine.
I technically have the family sewing machine but it's from like the 60's and I can't even pick it up
So I was thinking of taking a couple classes then investing in a smaller machine to start.

I've looked into craftsy a lot is it really worth the money? I might have to give it a try once I get going

I haven't even started sewing but I have looked at a few of the resources you've mentioned, which makes me feel like i'm on the right track :)
I was thinking of taking a couple beginner classes at Joanns before investing in a machine.
I technically have the family sewing machine but it's from like the 60's and I can't even pick it up
So I was thinking of taking a couple classes then investing in a smaller machine to start.

I've looked into craftsy a lot is it really worth the money? I might have to give it a try once I get going
Yes, I think it is worth the money. A great resource... but once you get your own machine. When picking out a machine, don't get carried by the number of stitches it can do as you mostly will just use straight stitch and zig zag on 99% of your sewing. Singer 4423 is a great starter machine.

We love to ski. Gear, lift tickets, lessons for the kids, travel to get TO the mountain, etc. It's expensive but something we love to do. To cut expenses we generally stay in a condo and bring lunch to the mountain and cook most breakfasts/dinners in as well. We book the condo early to get the best rates/availability. I also have had the same skis/boots for over 10 years. I'd love a new pair but... We also price out the lift tickets to figure out if a season pass is beneficial.

Besides Disney my other hobbies are pretty cheap - running, reading, and Netflix. Simple! Of course my kids have a million activities that are not so cheap! My oldest ice skates and has done a few competitions. We think it's cheaper than horses, but not by much!

We are scuba divers, not a darn thing cheap about it and cutting costs could cut your life short so we don't. We own our own gear so we know it's well maintained, we get it serviced once a year and even built a special gear cleaning area in our basement when we built it out. There aren't many places to dive in the states that are cheap, since we live in Georgia we are land locked and have to drive down to West Palm Beach for any quick diving trips. The dive boats aren't bad but lodging can be a bear. Our other option is the Keys, which aren't too bad. Now, you start getting into the areas you have to fly to and it can cost big bucks. We only take the long exotic trips about every 5 years but Carribean trips can be done once a year. We really don't spend on a lot of other things so we don't really cut costs too much for it.

On the sewing--don't knock older machines! As a PP said, you mostly use straight or zigzag stitch--even a 60yo machine will have these. While newer machines have fancy features and might be easier to thread, they also tend to be cheaper quality. You might have luck finding a good, basic machine at Goodwill--you could always upgrade later if you get more serious. My parents gave me a refurbished machine from the 50's when I was a teen--it lasted until about 15 years ago. Then DH got me a good one on sale at Sears, that had been returned (so the box had been opened--additional discount).

Now, my DD14 has my MIL's old machine. Again, not fancy, not pretty, probably 50 years old, but a good starter machine--DD can't break it! And it made MIL feel good, that it was getting some use.

As to cheap fabrics--good luck! Shop sales and the remnant bins. If you're just learning, stick with simple fabrics--fleece is very forgiving. It doesn't fray. Even DS11 can make his own fleece sleep pants. Flannel and other cotton-rich fabrics are also great for learning. Move on to fancier stuff once you gain confidence.

I'm a huge crafter, and luckily our current home has room for me to have a large craft room--surprisingly, everyone seems to love having this space, because they know they can find glue or tape or whatever they might need. I make elaborate Christmas ornaments--the stuff for these can get pricey--and basically anything. A few other projects in the works right now are a weather scarf for my DD22, coasters for DD22, and a crocheting project. I'm a big fan of "found art", which helps to keep the cost down. For example, the coasters are made from a map of Venice from our travels this summer--traveling is NOT a cheap hobby! But I saved a bunch of brochures, maps, ticket stubs, fancy paper bags, etc., and have been using the fancy Italian stuff in my crafts.

On the sewing, search 'sewing for beginners' on Pinterest. Lots of good instructional blogs and tons of easy peasy sewing projects. If you don't have the extra cash for fabrics, search Pinterest for repurposing t-shirt, mens shirts, etc. You can pick up large t-shirts and mens dress shirts at Goodwill and thrift shops or ask your friends on FB. You can remake into cute summer tops from the shirts. Lots of ways to sew without spending lots of cash.

We are scuba divers, not a darn thing cheap about it and cutting costs could cut your life short so we don't. We own our own gear so we know it's well maintained, we get it serviced once a year and even built a special gear cleaning area in our basement when we built it out. There aren't many places to dive in the states that are cheap, since we live in Georgia we are land locked and have to drive down to West Palm Beach for any quick diving trips. The dive boats aren't bad but lodging can be a bear. Our other option is the Keys, which aren't too bad. Now, you start getting into the areas you have to fly to and it can cost big bucks. We only take the long exotic trips about every 5 years but Carribean trips can be done once a year. We really don't spend on a lot of other things so we don't really cut costs too much for it.
Sorry to go off topic, but my husband dives and for his 40th wants to go somewhere to dive (considering going to the Georgia Aquarium since last time we went he wasn’t certified yet, and the whale shark dive has peaked his interest). I’m trying to find him a good place to have an actual ocean dive, since he only ever gets to go in Rhode Island where visibility is zero. Do you know any dive places around Amelia Island in Florida? Or do I need to look further south for a good dive? DH is afraid to let me go too far into Florida for a vacation for fear of accidentally booking WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter