The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Sorry to barge in on your thread, but I thought here may be a good place to ask a question. My husband bought a pop up, completely gutted it down to the metal floor frame, and is building a small travel trailer. If I create a thread with pictures/updates, would those of you with more experience than us (that means pretty much anyone. This is our first venture into camping anywhere besides our backyard in a tent. My husband can build anything, but doesn't have much experience with campers) be willing to give advice on what to include and where to put things or how to do things? I have two weeks booked at the Fort next August, so he needs to get this done by then. The kids are having fun sanding and painting things, so it is turning into a fun family project here at the Sleepy house. I want to make sure this turns into something that is actually usable (it won't fit the whole family - we will also be bringing a tent to camp in).

Sorry to barge in on your thread, but I thought here may be a good place to ask a question. My husband bought a pop up, completely gutted it down to the metal floor frame, and is building a small travel trailer. If I create a thread with pictures/updates, would those of you with more experience than us (that means pretty much anyone. This is our first venture into camping anywhere besides our backyard in a tent. My husband can build anything, but doesn't have much experience with campers) be willing to give advice on what to include and where to put things or how to do things? I have two weeks booked at the Fort next August, so he needs to get this done by then. The kids are having fun sanding and painting things, so it is turning into a fun family project here at the Sleepy house. I want to make sure this turns into something that is actually usable (it won't fit the whole family - we will also be bringing a tent to camp in).

Well I will chime in for sure. I look back fondly of the days in my Jayco 12HW (highwall) popup but now since the kids are mostly gone am loving the days with DW in our Aliner.

And, by the way, that's what this thread is for. Thanks for you and DH taking your kids camping. I see you are in Connecticut. The basic are the canvas care, the utilities (propane, fridge, h20, etc.) and externals (axle, wiring for lights, etc.), and the tow vehicle. We have some DIS Camping Board folks up your way too.

Bama Ed

Well I will chime in for sure. I look back fondly of the days in my Jayco 12HW (highwall) popup but now since the kids are mostly gone am loving the days with DW in our Aliner.

And, by the way, that's what this thread is for. Thanks for you and DH taking your kids camping. I see you are in Connecticut. The basic are the canvas care, the utilities (propane, fridge, h20, etc.) and externals (axle, wiring for lights, etc.), and the tow vehicle. We have some DIS Camping Board folks up your way too.

Bama Ed
It actually won't be a pop up once he is done with it. It's going to be a hard walled camper, and if I have my way it will look like a tiny cottage. My husband sells engineered wood products, and can get siding and roofing from his company for free most likely so it should be a fairly inexpensive thing. No fridge, just a space for a good quality cooler (recommendations always welcome, but will post more on the thread when I create it. I need to learn how to post photos, so it may take a couple days).
Thanks for the encouragement. I am very overwhelmed at the thought of driving this thing down to Florida alone with 4 kids (my husband doesn't get as much vacation time as I do). It will be nice to have people who know what they are doing who I can get advice from.

Sleepy,

Thanks for sharing your camper build/rebuild with us. There are quite a few of us that are pretty handy and/or familiar with fixing things on campers. Feel free to start a new topic here in the Community Camping Forum. I know many of us are interested in how it is progressing.

One comment with building on the popup frame. Be aware of weight. You mentioned turning the popup into a hard side camper and using wood products and siding. The weight of that will add up fast and popups were built to handle partial walls and mostly canvas. Check out the axle weights you have and keep track of how much everything is adding up.

j

Sleepy,

Thanks for sharing your camper build/rebuild with us. There are quite a few of us that are pretty handy and/or familiar with fixing things on campers. Feel free to start a new topic here in the Community Camping Forum. I know many of us are interested in how it is progressing.

One comment with building on the popup frame. Be aware of weight. You mentioned turning the popup into a hard side camper and using wood products and siding. The weight of that will add up fast and popups were built to handle partial walls and mostly canvas. Check out the axle weights you have and keep track of how much everything is adding up.

j
Good to know! I will talk to my husband about this. The last thing I want is a disaster when I am driving down 95 with 4 kids by myself. I'm scared enough to drive pulling something. I don't need any surprises.
I started the new thread. I will update it more tonight after the kids are asleep.

Jean Luc is a GOD...

ED

I imagine a Star Trek movie with Jean Luc and Nick Saban as captains in Star Fleet. Going up against the Romulans.

Of course it would be a short movie once they engaged that process...

S

j

That was my first thought as well - you need to watch the weight of all the components involved (axles, tires, springs, etc...) and make sure you will be able to stay within those limits once the camper is loaded.

Beyond that, as others have said, feel free to start a thread and I will be glad to follow along and kick in if I have something beneficial (or that I think would be beneficial) to add.

Good luck!

When you reach a certain age ...

You try to pay attention to your health care professionals (like tiggerdad and TeamUbr).

At the grocery store today (Aldi's) i came across a Blueberry Cheesecake Yogurt (not ice cream). It (yogurt) had like 20-25% of the fat/calories of the comparable ice cream.

Plus when I put it in my DoleWhip/Poly bowl, it was like it had NO calories. It was EMPTY AIR!!!!!

20180812_185355.jpg

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.... :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - Aldi's does have a green Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream which is my all time FAVE ice cream (and Girl Scout cookie) but it's not a yogurt; thus it didn't go into my shopping cart... :guilty:

Last edited:
Have to get me one of them bowls for my Turkey Hill, Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream Thanks for the heads upon it's properties

I'm surprised I haven't turned into Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream considering how much I eat.

Good on you Ed for setting an example...even to us healthcare professionals. :thumbsup2

Ed I don't care how they do just that they do it. Since there will be no calories might as well go for Ice cream no sense in putting your man card in jeopardy by admitting to willingly eating Frozen Yogurt

I scream, You scream, We all scream for Ice Cream
squirrel-ice-cream_683808n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!