varkgirl

Mouseketeer
24d78ba6-1a16-41f1-8085-d9fb10182048-jpeg.482241

sorry, not sure why it is sideways

Attachments

• 24D78BA6-1A16-41F1-8085-D9FB10182048.jpeg
    24D78BA6-1A16-41F1-8085-D9FB10182048.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 700
How is the crowd level at the resort? Not that I would want to be there at this time especially with all the closures. Hopefully lower capacity makes it more tolerable.

Yesterday our Ama Ama server told us it would be around 45% today. Normally around 90-100% capacity this week.

We are leaving tomorrow (a day early). The guests still here are still in the pools, packed hot tubs, beach, etc.

Not to say they shouldn’t be taking measures to prevent spread (obviously incredibly important on an island), but does the airport have the authority to do that? Seems like something the mayors or governor would have to do?

I think it is coming from the Governor but will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

it is coming from the governor (technically this is the brain child of the lt. governor)...and its probably much much worse than closing the airports to non essential travel...would you rather decide to take the risk and fly out for your vacation only to get stuck at the airport (or your hotel room) for the duration...or be turned away at the airport before you even get to fly out.

the one small brightside to this gigantic mess...its making it very obvious what and who politicians care about...

Did they say how long this would be in effect? I plan on traveling there late May so hopefully this restriction gets lifted by then.

its going to come down to how long this virus keeps spreading, and how bad it gets...public schools were initially only shut down for an extra week of spring break...but it got extended through the first week of april (the shut down). its likely you won't know if your trip will be affected until maybe the week before at this point given how slowly the governor has been moving, and how minimal his actions have been until he gets backlash for it...and he's getting quite a bit of it...

globally some "experts" believe this will be under control in as little as 2 weeks...but other "experts" believe this will continue on for 18 months or more...as with most things what will happen is likely somewhere between the 2 extremes.

if/when there is ever enough testing going on...maybe it becomes possible to get a better grasp on how long things will last, but absent that...who knows.

I kind of figured it can't possibly last past April (not the virus but a halt to tourism and commerce) because if that happened we will for sure be in the great depression. Hopefully people act sensibly and quarantine for the next month so that we can stop this virus now before we cause long term damage to the economy.

ummm unfortunately just looking at the videos from parts of florida, texas and nyc (prior to the past few days of escalating measures by the governor), and even celebrity responses like evangeline lily (I think I spelled it correctly...maybe)...and there doesn't seem to be any way around imposing lockdowns...and so far there aren't any plans for that in tourist locations.

governments/banks could try more helpful things...instead of just making it easier to borrow money...just stop payments and interest for 2 months and add 2 months to the end of the loans (or more months if it goes longer). rather than just "infusing cash by direct payments"...force banks to sell all credit card debt to the feds at 10% of whatever the debt is (personal and small business)...maybe put a cap on it at 25k or something (would act as both protection against mass bankruptcies and making it up to the public for being responsible for the last financial crisis)...banks can borrow from the fed at those near 0 rates to keep themselves afloat.

I don't know what the right answer is. When they floated the idea about giving small businesses direct payment for losses so long as we didn't lay off employees that really appealed to me. As a small business owner the last thing I want to do is lay off my workers even though I'm taking huge losses right now. However the business will eventually run low on capital, and I'll have no choice at that point but to lay off quite a bit of people and close most days of the week. I've been talking to other owners as well and we are all feeling the pinch. I think most of us can last another month or two, but after that I expect unemployment rates to sky rocket.

Not to say they shouldn’t be taking measures to prevent spread (obviously incredibly important on an island), but does the airport have the authority to do that? Seems like something the mayors or governor would have to do?

Correct, the feds control the airport.

The intent of the home/hotel room quarantine LG green is proposing is to discourage anyone from traveling to Hawaii for fun and also to discourage Hawaii residents from leaving and potentially returning with the virus. The problem is that there is no practical way to enforce the quarantine. They can't station a national guard member outside every hotel door, apartment building, or house. Thousands of people are still arriving every single day.

What the governor and mayor CAN do, however, is to order everyone to shelter-in-place. Every visitor would need to stay in their hotel room, only take-out food would be available, no activities or shops would be open, beaches and outdoor activities would be closed . . . who would want to come? Even if people did come, they'd have limited contact with the local population, further reducing (but not eliminating) the possibility of spreading the virus.

I think we're on the brink of a shelter-in-place situation here. Maui is "highly encouraging" people shelter-in-place, Oahu has closed dine-in sections of restaurants, and Kauai has implemented a curfew. Government is doing everything they can to encourage people to make the choice to stay at home . . . because being cooped up at home feels much better when it's YOUR choice rather than something the government has forced upon you.

Unfortunately, there are still so many hard-headed residents and visitors at the malls, beaches, etc. The most stringent measures just kicked in today (Friday) and this weekend will be a litmus test. If large groups are still gathering in public places this weekend, I would expect a shelter-in-place order to come down early next week.

I don't know what the right answer is. When they floated the idea about giving small businesses direct payment for losses so long as we didn't lay off employees that really appealed to me. As a small business owner the last thing I want to do is lay off my workers even though I'm taking huge losses right now. However the business will eventually run low on capital, and I'll have no choice at that point but to lay off quite a bit of people and close most days of the week. I've been talking to other owners as well and we are all feeling the pinch. I think most of us can last another month or two, but after that I expect unemployment rates to sky rocket.

I am a small business owner in Pennsylvania...Our governor announced on Thursday that by Friday all non essential businesses needed to close. We are an electrical contractor (construction of all trades are not allowed to work) and we had to immediately lay off our electricians to collect unemployment. To continue to pay their salaries and benefits without any work coming in would drown us in several weeks. I actually hope this is not a stipulation in the package or at least we could have known to wait a week before we laid them off to collect unemployment.

I am a small business owner in Pennsylvania...Our governor announced on Thursday that by Friday all non essential businesses needed to close. We are an electrical contractor (construction of all trades are not allowed to work) and we had to immediately lay off our electricians to collect unemployment. To continue to pay their salaries and benefits without any work coming in would drown us in several weeks. I actually hope this is not a stipulation in the package or at least we could have known to wait a week before we laid them off to collect unemployment.

wow
In New Jersey you will be consider essential.
so very sorry

It was just an idea that was floated. I don't know what's in this trillion dollar package, but I imagine it is just a low interest SBA loan.

wow
In New Jersey you will be consider essential.
so very sorry
Thank you! Yes, we have family in NJ who have told us the same. Construction is even allowed in California. Our governor put the hammer on it due to non compliance of his previous order where he urged the closing of non essential business. Not enough voluntary participation so he mandated it. We had 1 day notice. Pretty devasting for the small businesses here. We can however work on medical facilites but currently that work is not in our pipeline.

It was just an idea that was floated. I don't know what's in this trillion dollar package, but I imagine it is just a low interest SBA loan.
We did actually receive notification from the SBA for a low interest rate of 3.75%.

I actually misspoke on my previous post. Our governor changed it from non essential (we classified as essential) to only life sustaining. We are not life sustaining unless we have a job restoring power or working on a medical facility. We just don't have enough work to keep our employees on payroll with those stipulations and all of the other contractors who would use us have closed. PA has zero road construction either. Jobs are at a standstill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!