The Flu

wvjules

DIS Veteran
I personally know of at least 6 people that have been diagnosed with the flu this year. I think 4 were Type A and 2 were Type B. Luckily these aren't people I've seen within the past week or two.

How's the flu in your circle of friends/family?

I personally know of at least 6 people that have been diagnosed with the flu this year. I think 4 were Type A and 2 were Type B. Luckily these aren't people I've seen within the past week or two.

It is just flu, no definite article. 😉

Last edited:
We have the influenza, a stomach virus, and a respiratory virus making their way around our school district. In my first hour last Monday, I only had 15 of 33 kids in class. In my second period, I had 17 of 39 kids in class. All other classes were around 75-80% present. However, what I have found is a virus will hit one or two class periods and then make its way around the others.

I don't have sick days this year so I have Wet Ones on my desk at all times!

Luckily no one in my circle of friends or family has had the flu this year. I always worry about my youngest because he works as a cashier but knock on wood he's been good so far this year. He always gets his flu shot as soon as it's available. We are also all really good about constant hand washing. I had a 15 hour flight earlier in the month, with multiple plane changes and I worried so much about catching something but luckily I came out unscathed.

I am just getting over Type A. It was the first time I can remember having the flu as an adult, and the first time I did not get a flu shot! They didn't offer the shot at work this year. I went to my pharmacy a couple times to get the shot, but they were out each time, then I just sort of let it slide. Dumb. I never get sick, so I dismissed the importance of the shot too easily. I luckily recognized the signs right away--it started with achiness--and went to a clinic and got started on Tamiflu. It wasn't too bad really. I felt bad for a couple days, then stayed home the rest of the week in case I was still contagious.

Luckily no one in my circle of friends or family has had the flu this year. I always worry about my youngest because he works as a cashier but knock on wood he's been good so far this year. He always gets his flu shot as soon as it's available. We are also all really good about constant hand washing. I had a 15 hour flight earlier in the month, with multiple plane changes and I worried so much about catching something but luckily I came out unscathed.
The efficacy of the flu shot is very poor this year ~ again.

The efficacy of the flu shot is very poor this year ~ again.

Oh no, I hadn't heard that. Really bad when the flu strains this year are particularly dangerous and/or longlasting and uncomfortable. I wonder how that may or may not correlate to China having an outbreak of Coronavirus? (Which they're trying to sweep under the rug.)

7 yr. old DGD had it, I think it was type B(?) DW and I are around her a lot, and when she stays home from school she stays with us, but neither of us got the flu. I did get bronchitis around the same time as DGD was sick but I don't think that's related.

So far I don't know of any.

I've had my DH get very sick last week. Was negative for the flu but ended up having pneumonia. Same with my cousin and her two kids; pneumonia with negative flu tests.

I'm sure there are people around me that must have it but I just don't know about it or they aren't saying.

None that I know of.
There have been some cases of pneumonia and other respiratory and sinus infections and norovirus but so far no flu.

Right now I know three people diagnosed with the flu. It typically spikes after the holidays and going into February.

ETA None of the three had flu shots, and two are children.

Last edited:
I had a doctor appointment with my GP last week. He told me they are seeing 6 to 8 people a day with the flu. It is ramping up strong in Florida. My daughter's best friend just told her that her 5 year old nephew has the flu. Scary to hear about the little kids getting it. All reports say it is hitting children the hardest this season.

Went to visit in-laws for Christmas. Of the 13 people there for the visit, 7 were sick with some type of bronchial/sinus infection and 4 of those were confirmed to have the flu. But I didn't get it and that's all that matters. :D

My son (16 months) had it last week - Influenza A.

He did get a flu shot in October - hospital staff* said that while it sucked that he still got sick, him having gotten the shot would help to reduce the severity of the illness. He first start showing symptoms on 1/18 (fever + vomiting) and seemed almost completely back to normal by this past weekend, so I guess they were right.

*Had to take him to the ER since he spiked at 102-103 degree fever and was totally lethargic for the entire day - no eating, no drinking...ended up spending the night in the hospital for observation. Thankfully it did not lead to pneumonia, which I guess is common in younger kids (he ended up getting a chest x-ray to confirm). Don't mess around with the flu in kids, folks!

And *knock on wood* somehow my husband and I did not catch the flu from kiddo. 🤞 We both ended up with pretty bad colds that we're still trying to fight off, though.

GS#3 had type B right before Christmas. He's 3, and had his flu shot in September. DD#1 came down with a lung thing, but that is not unusual with GS being ill. She's always been prone to lung issues; she was almost 8 weeks premature. Plus they both have asthma, and allergies; so good times there!

DH didn't have the flu, but he had a bad virus hit right before Christmas and his birthday (as per our usual schedule; every time there is a holiday or a major thing going on, he gets ill. IDK why, but it's as regular as clockwork) He still has a cough, but the doc said it's because of an irritated throat (from when he was coughing so much from the gunk in his lungs at Christmas) but it should clear up soon. He's doing the tea/honey/lemon thing to keep it at bay, along with some Ricola drops.

No flu for me, but my darn allergies have already kicked in! My screen porch is covered in pollen already; Florida is trying to kill me.

The week before Christmas 40% of my boys' middle school ( of 1500 people) were out with flu. My son got it, and was out of school for four days (Thursday/Friday, and the next Monday/Tuesday).

I had what I believe was a very, very mild case of it around the time my son got it. I was tired, achy, and felt generally bad, and my guess is that the flu shot protected me for the most part. My son didn't have the flu shot this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter