The L and S of it! 1st Full day at sea WOW!! Volume IV

rose4hall

Earning My Ears
Myself - 37, Compulsive planner, Disney Nut
DW, A year or two older, coming along for the ride who knows I am Nuts!!!!
DS - 12
DS - 9

Now we are getting to the good stuff. The cream filling...

We woke up to ocean all around us...That was interesting. Did not make the sunrise. We all handled it very well considering we have never cruised before. We went to topsiders for Breakfast sat at the same hidden away table in the corner. It is near a work station, but you can leave your camera or daybag there an not have any worries. Not that you would on a Disney Cruise.

Same buffet as any. They must have read some of the comments on this board because the eggs every morning were light and fluffy, not runny eggs. One day the eggs on one side of the station were a little chilly but that was because the heat had not been turned on underneath them. We did not eat that much since we had Palo's Brunch today at 11:30am.

We let the boys play ping-pong, and then go up to the basketball court while we took in the Art of Entertaining "The Appetizer" by Expert Chef Joselito. He was very good.
Before I keep going with these volumes, I would just like to explain that I am a very picky eater. When I viewed some of the menus from the resturants I thought I was in big trouble. I have a laundry list of things I do not normally eat and most of them were on the menu. With that said he made an appetizer to die for. I have it for anyone that wants it. Send me a fax number and I will send it to you. Oriental Minced Prawns (Big Shrimp) served with string vegetable drizzled with reduced Balsamic and Coriander Pesto. The veggies included a carrot, a white radish, and one beet. I was starting to turn the corner on picky after I dined on this. Go figure, they served wine with your appetizer. Gotta love that!!!

After the AOE series we went to our brunch at Palo's. The boys went to the Club while we were there. My DW said she was not feeling completely well but she did not want to miss brunch and thought some food would do her good. I can't remember half of the food they had available for brunch but I will try. Of course the shrimp and split crab legs. A wide variety of cheeses and breads along with desserts. They also had a bread they only made for the Palo's dining area similar to a pound cake-type bread. They also had smoked fish, and marinated squash. After you eat the fringe food they ask what you would like from the kitchen. Eggs anyway you would like, a steak item, and a pasta and chicken dish.
Tip: If you are not feeling well, the last choice for a place to be is Palo's while at sea.. Deck 10 Aft, boat rocking, you do the math. My DW left abruptly after ordering the tomato soup an went back to the room for a minute. Now this is where I really feel ashamed and will not win points with the women who are reading this trip report. I asked my wife as she was getting up if she needed me to go with her and of course she said no. At that point I got up from my seat while waiting for my entree and headed back for the smoked fish, shrimp, and cheese. Sorry, it was soooo good. We had Nadeche (sp?) from France was very nice. She obviously knew everything about every item as any great server would. She was very concerned about my wife and wanted to know if she could do anything. She took her food away and put it in the oven to keep warm while waiting for my wife to return.

Once she returned we finished with Brunch and she said she was feeling better. I can't reiterate enough that I am a big meat an potatos kind of guy (minus the large portion of potatos - No Carbs) so trying all these food items were new to me.

We picked the boys up from the club and they said that the club was ok but not that great. They have alot of games found in your home, computers that as my DS9 said were OK, but my DS12 said he was not having a great time because there were not alot of 12 year olds on the cruise in the clubs. He was in with mostly 10 year olds in the club who only wanted to kick each other and be disruptive. DS12 won a mouse pad and DS9 said it was sort of fun so we left it at that.

DW went back to the room to take a nap and I was off to the Port and Shopping Presentation by Kerrie. Very informative. After that I had the Motorola W/T and had told my DW that if she awoke, I would be in Studio Sea with another AOE series. Will not win points with the guys but I went to the napkin folding, fruit carving and mixology class. The carving of the fruit was neat. I will never be able to duplicate what Joselito did. There were many times during this cruise that free drinks were offered and this was one of them. The guy from the ESPN lounge mixed a Bahama Mama. Guess who showed up right when they were passing out the free drinks. My DW. And she is not a drinker.

After that we decide to go to the Stem to Stern Wine tasting in the sessions lounge. This was very informative as we learned a few things about what makes wine taste different and how to uncork a bottle of champagne with the base of a flute glass. We were partial to the Mondavi Fume Blanc an the Cambrie (sp?) also from Calif. Both very good wines. I beliee after that my DW was feeling no pain. LOL I was feeling a little light-headed or that might have been the rocking again.

We then changed and went back to the pool for about an 1 1/2hours. I saw first hand how some parents leave children 5 and under go off on their own with no supervision. That is why I had my DS12 stay with his DS9 while they were out of the club. He did not have a problemloking after his brother. I believe at one point I counted 14 children under approx 5 in the one 6-8 person jacuzzi while some of their parents were in the other one. I do want to compliment the CM who was watching the kids to make sure they did not jump into the pool. The pool has a lip around it that someone could sit on and have their feet touch the other inside lip of the pool. We saw a child while in the pool and because of the waves from the ship rocking get slung up ontop of the lip as though he rode the wave up there. He thought that was a great ride. His mother differed with him. Music was playing the whole time we were in the pool.

We left to get ready for the Formal Portraits and the Captains Cocktail reception. We were all dressed nice as I wore a tux, DW wore a red dress to match the bowties and c-buns. We cleaned up very nice. It was very nice and after we took formal pictures in the atrium, we had a picture taken with Captian Andersson. Very nice man. He commented on our c-buns and ties that were a silohette of Mickey's Face. I told him my 83 yr old Grandmother made them and he was impressed. This is the time if you want a cocktail to grab one before you head to the show which was Hercules tonight. In my opinion you will need that second drink. The show was ok. Very corny jokes by Hades. The Muses were funny. :D Our DS9 said corny is not a strong enough word. :D

Went to the Rockin Bar D for the ventriliquist Michael Harrison who performed a very funny family show.

Dinner was at Lumiere's tonight. The boys got to meet Manuel and Sarah our servers. After the second dinner I was getting really spoiled with having my napkin placed in my lap. My DW reminded me not to get used to that. For appetizers my DW had the tossed greens, with DS12 and I having the Chilled shrimp and lobster roll. Not what he or I expected however it was very nice. Again something I would not have tried at home. DW also split the corn tamales with our DS12. DW and DS12 had the Roast Turkey with bread fruit stuffing while I had the Grilled Pork Tenderloin with polenta which was fantastic. A few orders of Pecan Cheesecake and Apple strudel rounded out the desserts. Oh I am sorry, my DS9 ordered one of his many Mac and Cheese orders at Dinner. He also had a pizza which he ate half. It became a running joke with Manuel as he would ask him what he would like for dinner and DS9 would say surprise me. And he always surprised him with Mac and cheese. He did however always have Applesauce (not on the menu) before dinner as his appetizer.

When we got back to our room, our DS' prayers were answered as our room host ha made a towel animal to match the Cocker spaniel our son had brought along with him, including candy eyes.
We went back out to see Michael Harrison again an this time he was more adult humor while he singled a person (TOM) out of the audience and kept going back to him the whole show. Went to bed after the show as we had a long day and we were going to be thirsty for more come tomorrow.
See you soon.
Next up: Volume V and who ever heard of a tomato being part of a dessert, let alone winning an award. If I had not seen it I would not have believed it. I hope I am not too long on these. Please let me know. They only get worse. LOL

I swear, I have checked the trip report board every 15 minutes today, hoping for another installment from you. :D They're great!! And NO, they're not too long -- don't you dare shorten them!! :)

-gina-

I agree - great detail - still worried about what to do with my 12 year old DS

You're trip reports are AMAZING!!!!!!!! We leave in 18 days and I have been looking every time I'm on the boards to see if you've posted a new volume! KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!!!:D :D
Nicole
Disney Magic Jan 26/02

Great trip reports, thanks for sharing such a wonderful trip with us. Keep them coming.

I am really enjoying your cruise reports. can't wait to read the next installment.

These are GREAT! Getting more and more anxious for
our cruise. I would have done the same thing if my
DH got sick, stayed behind. Wouldn't want to miss a minute.
My husband and I have been on many cruises, so I'm NOT
planning on being ill. The more and more I hear about
Palo's, the more I want to try it. (we were on three-day cruise-
didn't have time, for anything!-can't wait for the 7-day).

Can't wait for the next installment. I am a first timer so reading the trip reports really helps! You write so well. Hurry up and post - the suspense is killing me LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter