The Lying King

Disco

Hail Eris!
Nice article and side by side video comparison of many of the offending scenes from the Disney animation. Posted the direct YouTube link to the video as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...-kimba-similarity-issue/ar-AAEHcSO?li=BBnb7Kz

"Amid Disney's worldwide rollout of its Lion King remake, a controversy that erupted in the wake of the 1994 classic's release has largely failed to resurface: namely, that the animated film's designation as "the studio's first to be based on an original story" was not entirely deserved. Now, with Disney having already amassed $531 million in global box office with the same story and characters, the 25-year-old accusations that the studio copied some elements of that story, and some of those characters, from a renowned Japanese artist are worth revisiting.

On June 24, 1994, Walt Disney Pictures released The Lion King to rapturous audiences and even more rapturous critical acclaim. The film's creative team and studio execs made much of the fact that The Lion King, unlike all of Disney's other animated films, was not based on a previous work, that it was an entirely original narrative developed "in the story department of Disney Feature Animation more than four years ago." But almost immediately, Disney's claims of originality were challenged by people familiar with a popular 1960s animated series called Kimba the White Lion, created by Osamu Tezuka — who also created iconic character/series Astro Boy — based on his own 1950 manga Jungle Emperor."

As a big fan of Kimba, I'm glad that this has resurfaced. The animated version definitely copied Kimba:

sig-4056461.rgyvxv.jpg

I had hoped that Disney would at least acknowledge Osamu Tezuka in the movies. Since they chose not to do so, I'd truly like to see his estate take Disney to court.

Sorry....this has been a pet peeve of mine since the animated Lion King debuted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter