The new DVC Riviera Resort??

Jerry@dvcstore

DIS Veteran
Is the new Riviera DVC resort going to be one of Disney's more desirable locations? I am curious to see how excited DVC Members or DVC future Members feel about this upcoming property. With access to two Disney Theme Parks (HollyWood Studios & EPCOT) via gondala system and a roof top view of the fireworks of EPCOT it seems like this resort will be home-run. It might not have walking access to the theme parks, but the Gondola itself may be fun way to see Disney in a new prospective (day or night). What are your thoughts?

That is one of those "no one will know until it happens" questions. All we have at this point are some drawings and photos of construction that provide minimal information. We do not know the breakdown, size, or amenties of the rooms. We do not know the point cost per night or cost per point. We do not even know how the gondola system will actually work -- e.g., how many can one hold, how long between gondolas, does it have to shut down when too much wind, will there be operational hours limitations. Moreover, we do not even know if the gondola system will even be done and operational when the resort is done and on sale. My personal view is that it has possibilities of becoming a popular resort with a desirable gondola system but between now and completion, Disney "suits" concerned solely with profit still have a lot of oppurtunities to cut costs, raise prices or otherwise do things to make it less desirable.

I think for people who are new to DVC this might be an exciting resort, but for people who know the system, the price per point and the point chart and room categories will be the deciding factor. Also, if the gondolas are nice to ride in and quick access to the parks that could also make for some quick sales, but if they end up being "ovens in the sky" it could end up being a costly mistake.

That is one of those "no one will know until it happens" questions. All we have at this point are some drawings and photos of construction that provide minimal information. We do not know the breakdown, size, or amenties of the rooms. We do not know the point cost per night or cost per point. We do not even know how the gondola system will actually work -- e.g., how many can one hold, how long between gondolas, does it have to shut down when too much wind, will there be operational hours limitations. Moreover, we do not even know if the gondola system will even be done and operational when the resort is done and on sale. My personal view is that it has possibilities of becoming a popular resort with a desirable gondola system but between now and completion, Disney "suits" concerned solely with profit still have a lot of oppurtunities to cut costs, raise prices or otherwise do things to make it less desirable.
So true....the point charts, the purchase price via per point, and the overall aesthetic of the resort will make a huge difference on appeal. The gondola seems like a good idea, which will cut back on traffic and should move a lot of people quickly....but there are some unanswered factors -- size of each gondola, air conditioned, reliability? Let's hope DVC gets this right.

We were at Top of the World Lounge in April and the monorail got hit by lighting and is shut it down for a few hours. We had to take a bus back to Poly, which made our quick trip over to the lounge a lot longer and more annoying. By the end of it we wish we had just stopped at Trader Sams.

View of MK from the Lounge was nice though.

Last edited:

given the frequent thunderstorms in central florida I would think the gondolas will spend quite a bit of time off line.

Growing up in Central Florida, that is one of my largest concerns with the Riveria and the gondola system. We chose to go with what we know and focus on getting monorail resorts as our home resorts. I am really excited for the rumored new monorail train updates for the 50th anniversary. Rumor, although Disney is denying it, is that the new trains have been ordered and are under production. They will completely replace the aging fleet.

As for the gondola, Disney’s would be crazy to not have A/C systems inside each one.

It will be popular because people love Epcot / HS resorts and the others expire in 2042. What will Riviera be.....2070?

But I'm not holding out much hope on Riviera being of any interest to us.

I've got my BWV points that I will cherish for the next 20+ years and will add on a MK resort with a later exp at some point soon. When 2042 rolls around.... we can reassess. lol

Same here, BWV is our Epcot/DHS resort. We tend to not care for resorts like Rivera and BLT, those resorts/hotels look like they can be anywhere other than WDW.

:earsboy: Bill

There are gondola systems that run safely in rain in a number of places. I think the concern about their safety in weather conditions is, dare I say, overblown?

High wind is the major cause of most of the cable car systems in use shutting down. They may suspend in lightning. Rain, not so much.

I'm generally adverse to DVC resorts that are not walking distance to the parks. Being on the monorail or the gondola system is convenient until you're trying to leave at the same time as 40,000 other guests right after a nighttime spectacular. The walk back to Boardwalk or BLT is worth the price of admission alone.

That being said, if the price point is right, I would be interested in buying in at the Rivera if Disney follows through on its promised amenities. Problem is that DVC direct prices (in my mind) blew through the value proposition ceiling about $50 ago so I'm not holding out much hope that it will be priced reasonably.

I think it will be cool using the gondola system, and knowing Disney I'm sure there will be AC and it will be safe. That being said I agree they will shut it down with thunder and certain weather conditions. I think the appeal will make it a higher per point. I will personally wait until I see the price and size of rooms and price per point before looking at it.

I am excited enough that when my divorcing couple on my BLT resale contract refuse to sign the closing documents (which at this point I think they are going too) I will probably just hold out and look at buying into Riveria. I am cautiously optimistic that since this is a resort they are building from the start they will see the benefits of rooms that fit 5 like BLT and AKV, or at least OKW.

Riveria is connected to CBR, and I have always loved CBR if for nothing else than the location compared to the other moderates (just as Pop is a better location than the All Stars). In fact I might be a little biased after repeated trips to CBR and watching Riveria being built. While it is not walking distance it will be super close to both Epcot and HS. When Galaxy Edge opens it will probably be one of the easiest way to get to HS.

I am not worried about the gondolas. Disney isn’t investing in it without making sure that they will be a safe, comfortable, effective mode of transportation.

Since it is not overtly themed I am hoping the dues will be less, maybe more akin to BLT dues.

Theme is a lesser concern to me than pretty much anything. I am in WDW. There is plenty of theme to go around I don’t need it in my face while at my resort. CCV has all sorts of theme but the rooms and point chart just don’t work for our family at all.

I think it will be cool using the gondola system, and knowing Disney I'm sure there will be AC and it will be safe.

There is not going to be AC. There are very few systems with AC, due to various operational issues of having it function. In Disney's environment, it would be pretty dysfunctional. That said, similar gondola systems are in use in Hong Kong and India, without AC, and they are fine. They are cooled by forced air venting. They do not have cooling units, because the power to run them is high.

I own at AKV & VGF & would like to own an Epcot area resort to complete my ‘portfolio,’ yet am hesitant to buy at BWV (not a fan of the resort) or BCV (don’t like where the villas are sited) plus the price/number of years left for BWVs & BCVs doesn’t pencil out for me. Thus, Riveira should be attractive to me, but I am not sure.
If I understand the gondola route correctly to get to DHS you’ll have to queue at Riveira to get on it, then get off at the CBR station, join a second queue with CBR and AOA/Pop people at the CBR hub to get on another gondola line. The Epcot line starts at the CBR hub and I wonder how long the queue to get on that line will be at Riviera - will they keep every 5th cabin empty or every 10th or what for Riviera loading? I also wonder how they’ll deal with the increased use of the IG.
So far, aesthetically, I’m not impressed with the theme, or lack of theme - it looks pretty bland in the renderings - all building with very little grounds to enjoy and no landscaping - just a tower with a few palm trees lining the drive up to the building.
Right now I have a wait and see attitude - perhaps I’ll like it, but so far there’s nothing to excite me and several things that I have strong reservations about.

I'm very interested in staying there on my AKV points. I like the location and am looking forward to the gondolas. If we like it then we will consider buying a few years later when it starts showing up resale at decent(ish) prices....unless it ends up being easy to get at 7 months (which I doubt after a couple of years).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!