The new DVC Riviera Resort??

A friend of mine was pooped on by a "giant gull with diarrhoea" at DLR. A CM near by directed him to guest services where he was told it happened all the time and given a bombing victim voucher to pick out an entire outfit at the gift shop on the Mouse.
I've never wished to be pooped on more than right now... well, maybe not RIGHT now. No one would care here in the real world.
A waiter spilled a beer all over my son's new boy scout T-shirt years ago at Akershus before it was a character meal. He got a new shirt and was looking for people to bump into the rest of the trip.
Thumbs up. You have raised him well.

Will guests I miss the discussion about how that will go down (sorry, perhaps that's an unfortunate pun).
I don’t think anyone knows definitively until the thing gets rolling but LiftBlog describes the system:

The longest of three individual lines at Walt Disney World will have two angle stations, one of which will serve the all-new Disney Riviera Resort opening in 2019. All three lines will meet at a hub on the south side of Caribbean Beach Resort, where guests can change cabins based on destination.

Based on that description of the flow, POP/AOA guests have to make a connection at CBR to get to/from either park. Boardwalk area guests will need to connect at CBR to get to DHS. CBR guests get non stops to/from both parks and Riviera guests get a non stop to Epcot and connect to DHS.

So as for the Riviera “mid line boarding” scenario I’m guessing with you that empty cars will need to be dispatched from the end points. Additionally CM involvement will be key to add folks to an non-full car coming through from either direction, of fill a car that was vacated. Based on the lift blog articles the turn station at Riviera is moving entry/exit only with no provision for stationary entry exit like at the end points (double turnarounds). That is an interesting piece and I wonder how they will handle it at Riviera - scooters etc.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone knows definitively until the thing gets rolling but LiftBlog describes the system:

The longest of three individual lines at Walt Disney World will have two angle stations, one of which will serve the all-new Disney Riviera Resort opening in 2019. All three lines will meet at a hub on the south side of Caribbean Beach Resort, where guests can change cabins based on destination.

Based on that description of the flow, POP/AOA guests have to make a connection at CBR to get to/from either park. Boardwalk area guests will need to connect at CBR to get to DHS. CBR guests get non stops to/from both parks and Riviera guests get a non stop to Epcot and connect to DHS.

So as for the Riviera “mid line boarding” scenario I’m guessing with you that empty cars will need to be dispatched from the end points. Additionally CM involvement will be key to add folks to an non-full car coming through from either direction, of fill a car that was vacated. Based on the lift blog articles the turn station at Riviera is moving entry/exit only with no provision for stationary entry exit like at the end points (double turnarounds). That is an interesting piece and I wonder how they will handle it at Riviera - scooters etc.
Thanks. That does seem to clarify some things. The CBR station would seem to act in a similar way that the TTC does for the monorail transfers between MK, Resort, and Epcot lines. So concerning the line through the Riviera stop to Epcot, either they purposely leave empty cabins for Riviera guests or they don't. And my (somewhat limited) experience with a similar gondola systems at a ski resort tells me that it will be difficult to consistently board motorized scooters at a moving entrance. But I understand they are much smarter than me about these things.

I've never wished to be pooped on more than right now... well, maybe not RIGHT now. No one would care here in the real world.

Thumbs up. You have raised him well.
It wasn't my plan and I would have punished him if I thought he'd done it deliberately but clearly he didn't. The most interesting part is he was trying to tell us what happened in her usual "concise" way but after about 5 minutes and we were just about to get to the part where likely would have actually figured out what had happened, the waiter came and said "I'm sorry I spilled beer on you". The restaurant couldn't have been nicer and to be honest, even the free shirt was above and beyond IMO.

Florida. Summer. No AC. Small, confined area with a 10-15 people. That seems like a recipe for success.

Again, this is not doppelmayr's first system, and contract or no, they are not going to build a system that will be bad PR or worse.

Again, this is not doppelmayr's first system, and contract or no, they are not going to build a system that will be bad PR or worse.

They're an Austrian company that specializes in what appears to be mostly ski lifts. Mountain air is usually dry and cold/temperate. I wonder how suitable this system is for heat/humidity? That, along with probable non-operation while lightening is in the area, does not seem like great setup for success. Hopefully you're right.

Florida. Summer. No AC. Small, confined area with a 10-15 people. That seems like a recipe for success.

The confined area includes active air flow. The boats by the Magic Kingdom and Epcot don't have AC and they have no issues during the summer.

They're an Austrian company that specializes in what appears to be mostly ski lifts. Mountain air is usually dry and cold/temperate. I wonder how suitable this system is for heat/humidity? That, along with probable non-operation while lightening is in the area, does not seem like great setup for success. Hopefully you're right.

It does seem crazy to me too. We were recently on the DL monorail which has no air conditioning and DH said I can't wait to get back to wdw where the monorail has air conditioning. It was quite unpleasant, over crowded, sticky, and stuffy in that California monorail. We made a point not to take it again. o_O

They're an Austrian company that specializes in what appears to be mostly ski lifts.

They have built systems in Singapore, Hong Kong, Algeria, Greece (Santorini!!), India, Israel and London. The systems in La Paz and Medellin are urban transit. So it is not just ski areas. They have built more than 10,000 systems.

Americans are not super familiar with these systems. But many exist, in a range of climates and dampness.

I find it weird that people automatically assume Disney doesn't know what climate they are building for.
I will give you that Toy Story land was stupidly built with no shelter from the heat, but that was clearly done on a tight budget to tide people over until Star Wars land.
These skybuckets are meant to change the way transportation works in that area of Disney World. They wouldn't pour that much money into them unless they considered all the possible setbacks.

Most of the heat that people worry about in an enclosed space is from the Greenhouse Effect from sunlight through glass. With airflow, that is essentially removed. The sun still heats the air, but the air is constantly being replaced with fresh air from outside.

The Airflow will keep the actual temperature about the same as the outside, but it will feel better than outside because the airflow will also help cool the passengers.

These systems have been built in many tropical areas, as Aurora said above. They won't be keeping people at a 'wintery' 68 degrees, but they should easily be cool enough.

Honestly, I think the Gondola system is one of the greatest ideas that Disney has had in a long time. And if the price comes in right, I am seriously thinking about buying at Riviera, and I would have no interest in that at all, if it was just going to be a 'bus' resort.

I find it weird that people automatically assume Disney doesn't know what climate they are building for.
I will give you that Toy Story land was stupidly built with no shelter from the heat, but that was clearly done on a tight budget to tide people over until Star Wars land.
These skybuckets are meant to change the way transportation works in that area of Disney World. They wouldn't pour that much money into them unless they considered all the possible setbacks.
My view is middle of the road. It's possible that it'll be workable but less than ideal. Cost would trump comfort.

Does anyone else feel like this thread has devolved into Groundhog Day: Gondola edition?

Yes. Same "no AC!" panic across multiple threads. Wasn't this one supposed to be about how cool the actual resort seemed? People don't book the Polynesian or GF for the monorail, or at least I hope they don't consider its issues. They stay there for the resort itself. I am curious if Riviera will have the same sort of draw, and concerns about the gondolas are secondary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!