The Norwalk Virus returns - on the Regal Princess

MickeyB426

The biggest Daddy of them all
The top story just now on CBS local news at 11 o'clock...the Princess Cruise Lines' Regal Princess is scheduled to dock in NYC tomorrow.

Evidently there was a massive breakout of the Norwalk virus onboard and they're cutting the trip short.

Currently they are somewhere in the North Atlantic. I think the itinerary had included Northern and Western Europe but are returning to NYC early.

KEEP IT THERE!

Im starting to get optimistic again - this time I WILL get onboard ship!

(ok now DS says "its gonna hit our ship again, you know that")

My neighbor came back from the Magic 2 weeks ago, and her niece was quarentined for 48 hours. She was told there were a total of 12.

We are just going to keep washing and washing our hands. We do anyway. My DD(9) uses her elbows in public places now. That child will not touch anything with her hands.

We are ALL so excited to go, Norwalk Virus or no Norwalk Virus. Just go with the "Magic".

relax Barb, buy some purell and wash your hands..............

I was reading about this in our local paper this morning and there were a lot of people on that ship sick......but it also listed about 5 other ships that have had it since August so this is not the first one...tis the season!
"A cruise ship with at least 322 passengers and crew-members who have been sickened during an outbreak of a Norwalk-type virus over the past days docked in New York Harbor this morning."

"He said passengers would be reimbursed for one day, plus given a $300 shipboard credit."

Geesh, Not AGAIN!! I pray that this virus does its thing and is gone before the end of November. I am one of those people who wash my hands a million times a day, but that doesn't help if they cancel the cruise before you even get on the ship.
The good thing is that the Magic is going into dry Doc for that time before. I hope they scrub her real good and get rid of all the germs. I also hope no-one elses cruise has to be cancelled, because that really stinks. :rolleyes:

I just don't get it.

Is this an airborn virus?

If not....eewwww, you would think it would not be so widespread.

The "stomach virus" is everywhere but most common between October-April each year. It is easier to catch on ships, schools, nursing homes, workplaces, etc. Anywhere that many people gather (esp indoors) and can spead the infection. That is why it is more common during winter months when people are more likely to be indoors. Also if someone is sick, doesn't wash their hands and then handles the food, they can spread it. You can only do so much handwashing...some may get it and some may not, hard to say. You know, it could also be food poisoning...not sure if they ruled that one out or just always assume now it's Norwalk.

Not sure if it's airborne but know that it is highly contagious and is usually spread through direct contact, hand to hand, drinking from same glass, etc.

I don't mean to gross anyone out but my understanding (from the reading I did last year on the CDC site) is that the Norwalk virus (and ones like it) are spread via the fecal/oral route. Meaning if someone with the virus uses the restroom (#2) and dosen't wash well, then they touch stuff (handrails, door knobs, countertops) the virus is deposited there! THEN and unsuspecting NON infected person touches those places, then put his/her hand in his/her mouth or touches food that is then eaten. This is how the virus is spread.
The infected person can be "sheding" the virus (in the stool)before becoming sick.
So...always wash after using the restroom, and try to avoid touching the exit door (use a paper towelor use your foot to push the door open) always wash hands before eating anything (even an ice cream cone on the way to the pool:p ) and wash hands frequently. Since younger kids can't seem to keep their hands OUT off their mouths a bottle of purell or "wipes" with disinfectant are a great option.

This virus is NOT airborn. It needs your help to get into your GI tract, so wash often and well with soap and you will be helping stop the cycle.

The story I read when I signed on my system is that 300 passengers became sick and the cruise was forced to dock in NY a day early. One passenger said the cruise should have been cut short eariler as there were unsanitary conditions such as backed up toilets and dirty dishes.
The cruise line stated only 2 passengers remained ill as the ship docked and they're being treated on the ship and released tomorrow.

Originally posted by imgoingtodisney
KEEP IT THERE!

Im starting to get optimistic again - this time I WILL get onboard ship!

(ok now DS says "its gonna hit our ship again, you know that")
smash.gif

Barb, time to find that bridge!!!!!

WASH, WASH, WASH, WASH! My mom and I were just discussing this new outbreak. We said that we hoped since we were only going on a 3 day that it wouldn't have time to take hold. Not that I hope anyone else gets it, I just wanna have the chance to cruise.:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

After we were aboard the ill-fated Magic cruise last November I did some research on the Norwalk virus. It does indeed become airborne when someone vomits. Washing hands is always the best protection against any virus but it isn't always enough. We just had a huge outbreak of Norwalk at a YMCA summer camp in the Seattle area. I think around 160 out of 350 kids sick. It spreads soooooo fast. The CDC website has loads of info on Norwalk, this is supposedly the worst outbreak since the 1970's and I sure hope it runs it's course before our December Magic cruise.

When that many people get sick at one time, you have to also wonder if it's stomach flu or food poisoning. One thing they say to watch for w/ food poisoning is if everyone ate same thing and got sick around the same time. It's hard to pinpoint but I would hope that the cruise ships/CDC would rule out any unsanitary or food poisoning possibilities first since the symptoms are the same. Wish they would come out w/ a vaccine for this nasty virus!

Originally posted by RellingTwin

This virus is NOT airborn. It needs your help to get into your GI tract, so wash often and well with soap and you will be helping stop the cycle.

RIGHT!

So WASH THOSE HANDS with hot soapy water for at least 60 seconds!

Rae

Thank you Otisp! I'm using a different computer and couldn't find that link to the CDC. Hand washing is an amazing tool, but it doens't always protect you 100%. The good news is that some people can be exposed over and over and never get the symptoms and if you do get it there does seem to be a small period of immunity afterward. The CDC has great info and is the best place to get ACCURATE information.

I just heard on a news blurb that they seem to think a passenger boarded in Copenhaugen with the virus and that is how it spread. I wonder how many stories we will here.

If that is true about the backed up toilets, etc. that is just PLAIN GROSS!! I would have thrown up just looking at it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter