*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

We came back on Friday, and I am so thankful to come read all of your trip reports, because I have this bittersweet feeling in my heart missing our trip and recalling all the memories we made. Reading about everyone's trips makes me feel so much better!

We spent 9 days and I was worried that we would be burned out by the end, but we were absolutely NOT, and left Orlando feeling a perfect sense of contentment with our vacation. This was by far the best vacation to WDW I have had yet. We hit all the rides, restaurants, and extras that we wanted. I don't know how it all ended up working so smoothly, but it did, and I am just so thankful for it. We did our first ever split stay (OKW, AKL, and one night at POFQ so we could make Moonlight Magic) and it was a blast to experience different resorts. I was dreading August weather, so I went in with a 36 pack of ponchos... and used 6. August cut us a break! Who knew? I didn't find the crowds too terrible either (except for last Wednesday when MK was bonkers).

My only concern was that the CMs did not seem nearly as happy as my previous trips. Some were actually just plain grumpy. Maybe it was the heat, maybe they were burned out on summer crowds, but I counted 5 CMs who voiced eagerness for their shift to end. For example, I said, "Good morning!" to the Tiki Room attendant, and he said, "Oh man, it's still morning? That means I've got a long way to go..." Yikes. Decidedly unDisney. I hope that if there is an underlying cause to this, that it gets addressed. Part of the magic for me is the happiness and commitment of the staff. That said, I get it. We're all human and bad days happen.

I hope the rest of the 8/2019 crew had a wonderful time. I can't wait to get back.

We are on the bus back to the airport now. :worried: we had an amazing time. It was certainly very hot but we lucked out on the rain. Only had to wear ponchos 1 time for about 30 minutes. Not bad for 11 days.

We have decided to come again next August but not buy park passes. Just hit up a Halloween party and hopefully another DVC moonlight magic. Then spend the time at the water parks and hotel pool. Our rest days were some of our favorite.

Looking forward to the August 2020 thread to get active again.

I'd like to diy and decorate our my magicbands. Has anyone had luck with temporary tattoos with clear nail polish over it? Or should I purchase a decal from Etsy? For the latter, do you need to apply a clear varnish it to last?

I'd like to diy and decorate our my magicbands. Has anyone had luck with temporary tattoos with clear nail polish over it? Or should I purchase a decal from Etsy? For the latter, do you need to apply a clear varnish it to last?
I used to decorate my MagicBands, mostly by painting them. I got a lot of advice from this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...ic-bands-please-show-us-the-pictures.3190181/
Now I buy the vinyl covers from MagicYourBand. They adhere very well and don't need any extra coatings. But I'm careful not to go swimming with them. :)

Last edited:
We bought our skins on Etsy from shopemilyg and they were awesome! We swam with them and they still look great! If you buy skins make sure you read the directions carefully.

In the airport waiting for our flight after a great, short trip.

Monday did HS during the day with the kids, then evening date night in what turned into the crazy rain. Hubby and I opted to stick it out, they got rides operating about 10 minutes before close and kept TSL open an extra 30 minutes past posted close. Did SDD twice back to back, then TSMM before grabbing a spot for fireworks. Lightening struck twice during crescendos in the show, which was so freaking cool.

Tuesday was Stormalong Bay morning, Chef Mickey brunch, and MNSSHP. Our five year olds shocked us and managed to stay awake all the way to the 12am villains show. We had great views of fireworks, parade, show; met Moana and 7D; and are bringing home about 10lb of candy. What a night!

Wednesday was a false start as Blizzard Bay closed for lightening when we got there. Once it reopened, the park was deserted. Lines 10 minutes and under the whole day. Went up to do Summit Plummet at 3pm and only 5 people were in line!

This morning we were at MK for 7am EEMH to see how much we could accomplish with everyone else at day 1 of SW:GE and food and wine. The park was deserted for at least two hours. At 9:15, BTMRR and Splash were walk on, Space posting 5 minutes, 7D posting 35. I don't think we waited more than 5 minutes until Laugh Floor at 11:45. Did everything we wanted to do and then some before having to leave at 4 to catch ME.

This was the perfect way to end our summer!

As another poster said, I too used to decorate my own Magic Bands, and while they looked nice when I first did them, I found that there were problems with cracking, and peeling.

I also now use MagicYourBand. I use the design your own feature to upload my own art work. I have found that the results are amazing, and quite durable. My current bands have gone through two 10 day trips and still look good. One of the skins is starting to lift a bit at the edge, but that is after 20 days of use, plus sitting in storage for a year.

We walked into SWGE at 3:00 - just waltzed right in - my husband rode Millennium Falcon Smuggler Run - single rider - hour wait. Park was dead. Went over to EPCOT walked right onto Frozen. We also hoped to see Elsa and Anna to video a message to our friend's daughter who is coming on our next trip - 3 minute wait! And it was opening day for the F & W festival. It was a beautiful day without rain again!

Our trip has not been stress free -upon landing we were notified that my mother was suffering from ALS, had several months to live and she died this evening. In between there were countless calls and paperwork. Disney was great -printing the forms and faxing for us after the business center was closed. We are scheduled to return on Saturday. The weather changes now a big deal vs something to deal with as a side note. I do need to get home on Saturday.

I am over sharing - but for those wondering how I could choose the stay - my mother and I were estranged for many years.

:( my happy dance just got cut in by Dorian! Might be leaving on Sunday instead of Sept 4th. Who invited him anyway!?!!

Did you decide to leave on Sunday? I’m also at Poly and debating whether to change my flight to Sunday and go home or go ahead and move over to WL as planned and stay til Tues as planned.

I went to Busch Gardens (I know....I know.....blasphemy) today and every ride was a walk on. I was solo, but it was nice. Drove to Orlando and ate at Bluezoo at Dolphin. They and many DS restaurants are participating in Orlando's Magical Dining ($35 3 course meal)....it was well worth it. I walked around Dolphin/Swan and Boardwalk. Seemed quite empty (between 9-11:30pm). Also, I saw a ton of ppl with build-a-drone boxes, but the HS boats weren't full.

Did you decide to leave on Sunday? I’m also at Poly and debating whether to change my flight to Sunday and go home or go ahead and move over to WL as planned and stay til Tues as planned.

Yes, Delta was very accommodating, there were no fees. The storm would have set us back another day or two and DS (16) would have missed the first week of school. Not to mention my husband would have been off work for a few more days.

If you're thinking about it don't wait too long. We wanted an evening flight and those were all sold out. The only flight they had available departs MCO at 12:11pm. Again, this is through Delta to Detroit.

We are flying home tomorrow, which was our original travel day. It is very quiet here and you can tell that the parks and resorts aren't full right now.

Magic Kingdom was really empty this morning. We hit the entrance at 9am and there wasn't hardly anyone at bag check or in the Tomorrowland area. Then we went over to DHS around 11am. DHS was empty, too. The we went to Epcot around noon. It wasn't as crowded as it was yesterday.

We ended up going to SWGE yesterday by going over to DHS at 10am, getting a boarding group number, going to Epcot, then returning to DHS when our boarding group was called. It was very effortless and I'm glad we didn't try to get in there at 4 am.

Last edited:
Yes, Delta was very accommodating, there were no fees. The storm would have set us back another day or two and DS (16) would have missed the first week of school. Not to mention my husband would have been off work for a few more days.

If you're thinking about it don't wait too long. We wanted an evening flight and those were all sold out. The only flight they had available departs MCO at 12:11pm. Again, this is through Delta to Detroit.

Booked Southwest flight out on Sunday at 5:30 pm most flights are now sold out for Sunday.

I went to Busch Gardens (I know....I know.....blasphemy) today and every ride was a walk on. I was solo, but it was nice. Drove to Orlando and ate at Bluezoo at Dolphin. They and many DS restaurants are participating in Orlando's Magical Dining ($35 3 course meal)....it was well worth it. I walked around Dolphin/Swan and Boardwalk. Seemed quite empty (between 9-11:30pm). Also, I saw a ton of ppl with build-a-drone boxes, but the HS boats weren't full.
We went to Busch gardens last week on Wednesday and everything was walk on except cheetah hunt- for some reason that was 40 minutes. But we love Busch gardens so much. Used to live in Tampa and went every weekend so it’s always nice to go back. It was an awesome break from crowds and lines for a day.

I guess this will be the end of the August thread...thanks to everyone for all the helpful info and advice...hoping everyone had great trips and those here with me this week all of you travel safe!

I guess this will be the end of the August thread...thanks to everyone for all the helpful info and advice...hoping everyone had great trips and those here with me this week all of you travel safe!
Yup, as much fun as it has been, the August 2019 thread is winding down. I want to thank you all for hanging here with me for the last year, and sharing your planning, your trips, and your fun with me.

For those who will be going again next August, please feel free to join us in the August 2020 thread

Enjoyed my short time with you all here. We were at a Disney Springs Hilton, left our hotel at 5:02am, we are sitting at the gate at 5:33am! Crazy short. Now I wish we slept in.....but I don’t like risking it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter