The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

Thanks mevelandry for all your help! I contacted "Navettes maritimes du fjord" to try to buy the tickets directly from them but they said Disney rented all their boats for their tours and I had to purchase through Disney which is significantly overpriced compared to the prices the company lists in their website for the Discover the Fjord Treasures. So frustrating.

Thanks mevelandry for all your help! I contacted "Navettes maritimes du fjord" to try to buy the tickets directly from them but they said Disney rented all their boats for their tours and I had to purchase through Disney which is significantly overpriced compared to the prices the company lists in their website for the Discover the Fjord Treasures. So frustrating.

OH. :earseek: I see... I'm sorry to hear that. I can imagine they are going to do something similar in Baie-Comeau and it's going to have quite an impact on the price of the cruise overall.

We have traveled to many countries by cruise ship, many times stopping in small off-the-beaten path ports where there is limited tourism infrastructure; and what is there is booked by the ship in port. Sometimes, if you want to experience a place, you just have to bite the bullet and go with the ship's tours. Even when, like DCL in this case, they are gouging the customers by including outrageous profit. For those of us who booked Guarantee Rate, it will be a bit of a wash...

Paid off the cruise today. Booked the inside guarantee rate of 2727. I booked on opening day a 11a. This was 594 dollars cheaper I won’t get the 200 dollar on board credit but still a savings of 394 dollars.

I have a feeling that the guarantee rates will go cheaper once the 2 cruises are past the pif date. Last time I got burnt sailing out of nyc. Had a great rate which I thought was a great rate than a dvc rate came up. Oh well

I decided to check right away...

Ok, from what I understand, most of the whales you could see would be near at the junction of the Fjord and St. Lawrence river near a village called Tadoussac.

Most whale watching cruises will depart from either L'Anse-St-Jean or Petit Saguenay which are about a 60 to 90 minutes drive (and it could be complicated to get there) from Saguenay and they last at least 3 hours.

So while you could get lucky and encounter a whale during a Fjord cruise (do they have a map of the itinerary?), the official whale watching zone is at the junction.

So, if DCL offers a whale watching cruise, although it is pricey, it could be the easiest way to do it.

The ship is going to pass by that zone as it makes its way into the Fjord. Chances are you might encounter whales on your way to Saguenay.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate all this information!!!!

We have traveled to many countries by cruise ship, many times stopping in small off-the-beaten path ports where there is limited tourism infrastructure; and what is there is booked by the ship in port. Sometimes, if you want to experience a place, you just have to bite the bullet and go with the ship's tours. Even when, like DCL in this case, they are gouging the customers by including outrageous profit. For those of us who booked Guarantee Rate, it will be a bit of a wash...

I totally appreciate your insight on this. . . We are not super experienced cruisers (although one day we hope to be) and I thank you for your honesty. We will discuss our "need" for a whale watching tour and our budget. Thank you!

Paid off cruise today went to book palo brunch and sold out. This is for the nyc to Quebec cruise. I will check once I’m on board to see if I can get in.

Speak for yourself. I for one won't be biting the bullet. I don't book dcl excursions ever ...for the above reason. I have a feeling I'll figure something out and have an amazing time. We always do. I don't think the guarantee rate makes up for it. Is still an expensive cruise. It's just not quite as overpriced as it was originally.

I totally appreciate your insight on this. . . We are not super experienced cruisers (although one day we hope to be) and I thank you for your honesty. We will discuss our "need" for a whale watching tour and our budget. Thank you!
Keep in mind there's never a guarantee you'll see whales. Some excursions in Alaska guarantee you'll see whale or a portion of a whale or your money is refunded. I'm not sure what they guarantee. I Think it's an important thing to consider when your spending that much money.

Speak for yourself. I for one won't be biting the bullet. I don't book dcl excursions ever ...for the above reason. I have a feeling I'll figure something out and have an amazing time. We always do. I don't think the guarantee rate makes up for it. Is still an expensive cruise. It's just not quite as overpriced as it was originally.

I'm sure you'll find a way to do excursions on your own.

It sucks that they make it so difficult though because the province of Quebec is so safe compared to most destination that it would be nice for you to explore on your own.

Has anybody got any success with the car rental so far?

Keep in mind there's never a guarantee you'll see whales. Some excursions in Alaska guarantee you'll see whale or a portion of a whale or your money is refunded. I'm not sure what they guarantee. I Think it's an important thing to consider when your spending that much money.

In Saguenay, the only guarantee you could possibly get (if there's any) is a free ticket for another time.

I got lucky, the only whale watch cruise I have done was in Boston and we saw between 15 and 20 that day. 4 of them showed their nose right in front of the boat (which was stopped for the occasion).

Last edited:
The only guarantee you could possibly get (if there's any) is a free ticket for another time.

I got lucky, the only whale watch cruise I have done was in Boston and we saw between 15 and 20 that day. 4 of them showed their nose right in front of the boat (which was stopped for the occasion).

Actually, no. The ones I am aware of in Alaska give either $100 back (cash as you disembark) or refund the trip. It is rare that they have to as the boat captains all work together and communicate where they are seeing the whales - but it is not just "a free ticket for another time".

Last edited:
Important update regarding transportation in Saguenay:

Information coming from the Bureau of Tourism of Saguenay. It is possible to book a minibus for groups of 6 to 12 people in order to get to either Saguenay National Park or Tadoussac for a whale watch cruise, here: http://organisaction.com/

However, you can also make private arrangements for a group of less than 6 with a different vehicle. They told me you should write here to inquire: info@organisaction.com

I always speak for myself : ) Traveling in over 50 countries has given me the experience to know how to make decisions based on local conditions vs our cost and convenience tolerance.

Alas yes, all DCL cruises are overpriced (even at the Guarantee Rate); that's why many people opt for less expensive cruises so they have the funds for extras like the occasional ship excursion. Have an amazing time planning and exploring Saguenay and Baie-Comeau inexpensively!

I always speak for myself : ) Traveling in over 50 countries has given me the experience to know how to make decisions based on local conditions vs our cost and convenience tolerance.

Alas yes, all DCL cruises are overpriced (even at the Guarantee Rate); that's why many people opt for less expensive cruises so they have the funds for extras like the occasional ship excursion. Have an amazing time planning and exploring Saguenay and Baie-Comeau inexpensively!

If they do it on their own, they'll pay in CND money. It's going to feel very inexpensive. :rotfl2:

One suggestion is to try a group buy with a Tadoussac zodiac operator. Ask them to arrange a van or coach up for a return trip and price it into the excursion. See this post for other places.

Or do a van rental in Saguenay. You can call the local Enterprise or another agency ahead of time and ask them to arrange one. They might ask for a prepayment or flat out decline - but worth a try.

Could be an adventure for a bunch of you to do together and have fun with!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter