The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

Guests staying at Le Priori... If you look at the picture of the street I put with the picture of the exterior of Le Priori, you'll see the name of a street (St-Antoine): you will be able to walk on that street to get to the cruise terminal. No need for a cab.

From that corner of the street you will see the mobile "tunnels/hallways" (not sure how you call it) they "plug" to the cruiseship so the passengers can get in the ship.

I said this in the cruise meet thread a while ago but not many people go there. For the sep 20 cruise. Two good news John Charles is scheduled to be on our cruise. Second good news buckets and boards is scheduled to be on the fantasy during our cruise.

Guests staying at Le Priori... If you look at the picture of the street I put with the picture of the exterior of Le Priori, you'll see the name of a street (St-Antoine): you will be able to walk on that street to get to the cruise terminal. No need for a cab.

From that corner of the street you will see the mobile "tunnels/hallways" (not sure how you call it) they "plug" to the cruiseship so the passengers can get in the ship.

Thanks for the info!

We are booked on the 9/27 cruise as of yesterday! YAY! Our first Disney Cruise! We are going to fly in on Monday and stay in the Old town for a few days and try to do some of the tourist attractions on our own and get to port early on embarkation day.

Are the actual times for the port excursions posted anywhere? I have learned that I can only pre-book 10 hours at the nursery for my son , so depending on which excursions and things are left when its my turn to book on the 14th I will need to have alternatives in place.

In Halifax - is it worth it to go to the Lunesco site? I havent found that many "great" reviews.

Is there any particular tour that should not be missed?

I added you to the roll call. :)

Is it okay to pay with American dollars for things like tips?
Most items, we will put on a credit card but usually carry small bills for tipping and incidentals.

I hope John stays onboard for the return cruise!

It’s not on his schedule he posted. Yep John is the best imo. I have been on a cruise that wasn’t on his schedule and he showed up at the end. What a pleasant surprise that was. He isn’t scheduled to be on any ships during your cruise so it is possible.

Is it okay to pay with American dollars for things like tips?
Most items, we will put on a credit card but usually carry small bills for tipping and incidentals.

You mean, in restaurants? Hard to tell. Some will accept USD dollars for tips and some won't.

But when you pay with a credit card, most restaurants will have a machine on which you can add tips (a specific amount, or a %).

I really recommend getting CND money especially in Saguenay and Baie Comeau as most shops won't accept USD dollars. It might be a good idea to do the same for Quebec, just in case.

Also, and this detail is very important: A lot of shops and restaurants do not accept AMEX credit cards as they cost much more to use than other cards like VISA and MASTERCARD.

To the point that I used to have an AMEX card and I actually cancelled it because I could almost never use it anyway.

QUEBEC CITY - THE CRUISE TERMINAL

20180616_105639-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_105801-2080x1170.jpg
20180616_105449-2080x1170.jpg

The cruise terminal is next to a cute garden and about a 10 minutes walk from the Quartier Petit Champlain (from which you can take the Funiculaire (3$) up to the Terasse Dufferin where the Chateau Frontenac is situated. So if you don't plan on taking an excursion with the cruise line, you can easily entertain yourself near.

Situated on tje other side of the Cruise Terminal is a restaurant called Café du Monde which has a nice terrace and great view from the port. While we have been a bit disappointed with the food --Seriously, don't take the burger. It's bad! The fries however were good.-- when we went, our experience of the staff, the wine and overall ambiance was excellent.

Attachments

• 20180616_105639-2080x1170.jpg
    20180616_105639-2080x1170.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
QUEBEC CITY - TRAVERSE QUEBEC-LEVIS

View attachment 330763
View attachment 330764
View attachment 330762

A very short and laid back excursion you can do while in the port is take the shuttle (ship) from Quebec to Lévis (pronounce Lay-Vee).

It's 7,20$ per adults, 2,40$ for kids between 6 and 15 years old and free when the kids are 5 or younger.

The ride between the two towns is more or less 15 minutes. Once you are on the other side you get this great view from Quebec city from a cute park with a fountain and a Tim Hortons nearby. :P

DH and I grabbed a coffee at Tim and walked around the park for more or less 15 minutes and then went back to Quebec City. But you can also visit Lévis if you want. There's a shuttle every 30 minutes.

Nothing very exciting but it was fun and relaxing... And made us miss cruising big time! LOL

Last edited:
QUEBEC CITY - FOOD

aviary-image-1529192922943-1170x2080.jpeg 20180616_162618-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_092951-2080x1170.jpg received_10160749150985294-2048x1536.jpeg 20180616_150530-2080x1170.jpg

Granted, I haven't spent much time in Quebec last week-end but here are my two favorite places out of the four restaurants I have tried.

First of all, if you have never tried "poutine" before: Quebec City residents swears by Ashton's poutine... DH and I thought it was delicious (fries are good, sauce is good, cheese is fresh). It's a good choice as it's well done and affordable.

For breakfast, we went to Cochon Dingue on Champlain boulevard (it's right below Quartier Petit Champlain and there's actually a door in Quartier Petit Champlain that leads to the restaurant.

I've had Eggs Benedict "Bacon -Fromage en grain" (Bacon-Cheese Curds)... Which made me almost recreate a very popular scene from "When Harry met Sally". ;) In all seriousness, they nail Eggs Benedict.

I asked it to be serve with baguette bread and "beurre de pommes" (Apple butter) and had it with Davidstea Tea, which I also recommend.

I love the restaurant so much that we went twice in the same day: later we went just for dessert and picked a Tarte au sucre à la crème (Cream Fudge Pie). I don't drink much but when I noticed they had "Coureur des bois" (the maple cream kind), I took a shooter of it. :P

Cochon Dingue is not cheap but not too expensive either. Expect to pay 10-15$ CND for a breakfast dish, 15-20$ a dish for lunch and dinner and 8$ for dessert.

QUEBEC CITY - LE FUNICULAIRE

20180616_153018-2080x1170.jpg 20180616_153025-1170x2080.jpg

The Funiculaire is the easiest way to go between the Terrasse Dufferin and Quartier Petit Champlain without the 5 to 10 minutes walk and the hills.

It's a nice short glass elevator (with a view) ride but it cost 3$/pp (not sure regarding kids... I'll have to check it out.

QUEBEC CITY - MARCHÉ DU VIEUX-PORT (OLD PORT MARKET)

I don't have pictures from the Old Port but there is a market there where you can find many different products from our province (maple, blueberry, apples, honey, etc.) with fruits, veggies, etc. Some booths offer samples. I think it's a nice way to be introduced to our products. It could also be a bit less expensive than the products you'll buy in the Quartier Petit Champlain.

Yes, is there a Hertz rental location at the port? I may have asked this before in this thread. The port website site has one listed but Hertz does not have the port location listed. Was wondering if it is still there. Thanks.

MJ

Yes, is there a Hertz rental location at the port? I may have asked this before in this thread. The port website site has one listed but Hertz does not have the port location listed. Was wondering if it is still there. Thanks.

MJ

Here's the info I got:

Quebec City - Cruise Ship Terminal

Please contact the Hertz location at 44 Cote Du Palais, Quebec City for pick-up (ph 418 694 1224)

There is not a vehicle rental office at this location. This may require that the customer be taken to the nearby servicing location. Pick-up and/or drop off should be coordinated with the servicing location.

Here's the info I got:

Quebec City - Cruise Ship Terminal

Please contact the Hertz location at 44 Cote Du Palais, Quebec City for pick-up (ph 418 694 1224)

There is not a vehicle rental office at this location. This may require that the customer be taken to the nearby servicing location. Pick-up and/or drop off should be coordinated with the servicing location.

Thank you...that is the location that I found to be the closest but not at the port. So it sounds like Hertz may pick you up at the terminal and bring you to the that other Hertz location. I wonder if they do the reverse....you drop your car at the Hertz office and they drive you over to the port. Thank for the info! I call them.

MJ

Thank you...that is the location that I found to be the closest but not at the port. So it sounds like Hertz may pick you up at the terminal and bring you to the that other Hertz location. I wonder if they do the reverse....you drop your car at the Hertz office and they drive you over to the port. Thank for the info! I call them.

MJ

I wouldn't be surprised if they delivered pre-booked cars as well. I know come car rental companies do that.

MJ
Please let us know what you find out about that and how you booked it, if you did. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!