*** The Official September 2018 Thread *** let's get started to have some fun

We arrived on Saturday. Had booked a garden view room in the garden wing at Contemporary. Pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the tower! We have Bay Lake view and have enjoyed it.

A few other new experiences for us yesterday. Never have we ever been on a ride with a full stoppage. Slow down or a short pause on an omnimover, but nothing more than that. Yesterday on Haunted Mansion, we were stopped for about 5 minutes. Someone came over the speakers & told us to stay put. Then on Buzz, we stopped again. This time, all the lights came on, the gates came up, and we sat for maybe 10 minutes. I thought they were going to Evac us, but they were able to get us going again. The sad part is that it zeroed our scores. Ha! Next, we tried Hall of Presidents. Abe Lincoln had just stood & started talking when a CM walked up to the announcer guy & whispered in his ear (we were sitting on the end). He stood up, stopped the show, turned the lights on, and told us that due to unforeseen circumstances, the ride was ending & we needed to exit immediately. By this time, we were obviously concerned about what might cause that stoppage, but also laughing at our luck. We must have been total jinxes or something.

And then we tried to get on the monorail. You guessed it. Resort monorail down. We walked back to CR just about the time they got it running again. Apparently it was up & down all afternoon because we were able to ride to TTC later to go to Epcot, but had to ride a ferry back to MK & walk when we got ready to return.

Fingers crossed today that we don’t jinx anything!

It is super hot -hotter than I expected, and we’ve been in Sept before. Crowds were great at MK yesterday and WS was a bit congested last night, but not bad. We’ve found many rides that have basically been 5-10 minute waits, which feels more like walk-on. Definitely still need a FP for E-ticket rides, but everything else is pretty low to reasonable.

We managed to not get rained on yesterday, but I’m thinking I’d better pack the ponchos for evening at EP... even if it’s just for Insurance.

Pirates was done for awhile duringthe party on 9/11. And Splash went down two different days - 9/11 and yesterday. We were also stuck waiting for the monorail yesterday afternoon.

Oh no! I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well. I ate something that didn’t agree with me the other night & it made the park difficult the next day. I hope you’re feeling better fast. I know how much you’ve been looking forward to this trip!

3/4 of our party had extra bathroom visits after eating at Yak and Yeti. I am suspicious of the timing and tend to think they were reacting to somehting the day before.

DH and I checked out of AKL and into BC yesterday. We like BC much better. Unfortunately, we're both sick :( Initially it was just me which wasn't surprising because I have a compromised immune system. Then DH started to feel really bad last night, and today we both kind of hit a wall. We made it to MK for Early Morning Magic, and then kind of lazed around Fantasyland until our BOG lunch. Then we came back to the room and have been napping since. We missed our Fantasmic dinner at H&V :( DH woke up and said he just couldn't go to a park, so I was able to find a res for Beaches & Cream instead which will be much easier on him and lower key. I hate that this is impacting the trip so much. I've been taking extra vitamins and probiotics in advance, using Lysol wipes and hand sanitizer, and it still didn't matter and I got sick anyway. We put in a Prime Now order earlier with some more water, tissues, lozenges, and cough medicine so hopefully that and the rest we got today will help.

So sorry for you guys, I know what it's like to be sick while in Disney (and to have sick kids in Disney, too) and it's such a let down. Hoping tomorrow you both feel much better!

@areno79 I'm so sorry to hear that you guys are sick! I hope you feel better very soon! I got sick at the end of our 2015 September trip and it was such a bummer. The fever is what made it the worst and I just stayed at the resort. :( Hopefully yours isn't that severe and you will be back in the parks after a good night's rest!

We arrived on Saturday. Had booked a garden view room in the garden wing at Contemporary. Pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the tower! We have Bay Lake view and have enjoyed it.

A few other new experiences for us yesterday. Never have we ever been on a ride with a full stoppage. Slow down or a short pause on an omnimover, but nothing more than that. Yesterday on Haunted Mansion, we were stopped for about 5 minutes. Someone came over the speakers & told us to stay put. Then on Buzz, we stopped again. This time, all the lights came on, the gates came up, and we sat for maybe 10 minutes. I thought they were going to Evac us, but they were able to get us going again. The sad part is that it zeroed our scores. Ha! Next, we tried Hall of Presidents. Abe Lincoln had just stood & started talking when a CM walked up to the announcer guy & whispered in his ear (we were sitting on the end). He stood up, stopped the show, turned the lights on, and told us that due to unforeseen circumstances, the ride was ending & we needed to exit immediately. By this time, we were obviously concerned about what might cause that stoppage, but also laughing at our luck. We must have been total jinxes or something.

And then we tried to get on the monorail. You guessed it. Resort monorail down. We walked back to CR just about the time they got it running again. Apparently it was up & down all afternoon because we were able to ride to TTC later to go to Epcot, but had to ride a ferry back to MK & walk when we got ready to return.

Fingers crossed today that we don’t jinx anything!

It is super hot -hotter than I expected, and we’ve been in Sept before. Crowds were great at MK yesterday and WS was a bit congested last night, but not bad. We’ve found many rides that have basically been 5-10 minute waits, which feels more like walk-on. Definitely still need a FP for E-ticket rides, but everything else is pretty low to reasonable.

We managed to not get rained on yesterday, but I’m thinking I’d better pack the ponchos for evening at EP... even if it’s just for Insurance.
I had my only evac off a Disney ride ever back last Sunday; the load/unload conveyor on Gran Fiesta Tour must've stopped working.

Didn't get to see/do anything interesting, though-- my boat was practically already at the unload area (in a narrow spot with carpeted steps up either side of the boat, pretty much directly underneath the speaker telling you to "remain seated until the boat reaches the dock". So just (when directed by a CM) climbed out of a boat and through a door that led to the normal exit from the ride. Not sure what they did about the people stopped further back on the ride where you couldn't just get out.

That's really the only big technical issue I saw over the course of my week. Saw a little bit of funkiness with the Express monorail when I went from MK to Epcot (Tuesday, I think)-- they had it closed from the Magic Kingdom end, but people were getting off who had gotten on at the TTC, so it looked like they were running it one-way? Took the resort monorail to the TTC instead.

Home now. Delayed at MCO for over an hour for maintenance (SWA). Delayed in BWI and then took the 'long route' home to fly around the storms - amazing what can be done in this day and age.
It was quite a trip for the books.
Too tired to do a full review. Off the top of my head -
For the first time the TIW card was not worth it. In fact,the whole Disney Dining experience has slid back a few years - in my opinion - perhaps it was a reflection of the "free" dining time of year. We ate offsite three times. In all cases, it was so much better and so much less expensive. Like lots and lots less money. 50% less in 2 cases. 75% less on the last day. We hit all the major Disney food - and were all sick of all of it by the end. Just like a cruise, it is really the same stuff over and over again. Boma to 1900 to HDDR to River Grill - even Cape May disappointed me for the first time. Clams weren't right. Several times we were served cold food. 2-3 cold shrimp on an otherwise warm entree. Uncooked chicken. Warm dessertes that were supposed to be chilled. Ick.

Nobody is going to like this sentence but - we felt the CMs were not as nice. If I just blurt it out -we really felt they were taking their contract frustrations out on the guests - all guests - it wasn't personal. Even the tram people were mean spirited.

Our crew enjoyed HS the most.

F & W the least.

The MNSSHP was fun - I would do it again because we left before the finale - my peeps weren't up to it - fighting 6 hour time zone change.

Humidity was killer - haven't felt it that badly in a long time. Weather drama is for the birds. Hurricanes aren't fun.

Frustrated with the fake crowds because Disney doesn't want to pay labor to operate at a more equitable capacity.

Why - why cant disney put up a cover over RoL? Why can't Disney spend a few $ to put in some fans at many of the attractions? Why can't CMs enforce the rules? Fantasmic - Don't stand on the benches - and zero people got off of them blocking the view of those SITTING on the BENCHES. CMs turned around to enjoy the show. No further boarding - 3-4 times each time. No standing - KS - over and over until that driver called out the ''man in the tan hat'.

Don't get me started on the totally removed new styles of parenting:
1. Completely ignore your children for your friends/phone. Little girl (3?)crying for Mommey at Fantasmic - fell off bench - mommy taking selfies.
2. Smile at everybody to see if they are appreciating little Parker/Riley/Chase's obnoxious behavior. Isn't she adorbale! Precious! We can't make them behave!

I want to be a Drill Instructor at MK one day. Oh, you'd all move - MOVE, MOVE, MOVE. Keep up! Pay Attention or GET OUT! (this does not apply to those with physical ailments). Scared for a world with so many able bodied adults consumed playing video games endlessly in lines.

It was a good overall trip. We did too much. Pleased to get in 2 days of water park fun - we never do that.

It's been fun planning with y'all. Safe travels!

6 days! I soaking it all through you guys and I’m sorry some of you are having such a hard time with MDE and technology in general. Disney really needs to step up their game.

I’m debating whether or not should I bring a swimsuit? I usually don’t use the pool at all while at Disney but with the heat that is going on I’m kind torn on that.

I’m debating whether or not should I bring a swimsuit? I usually don’t use the pool at all while at Disney but with the heat that is going on I’m kind torn on that.

I'm a firm believer in "better safe than sorry" where swimsuits are concerned -- it's not like it'll weigh down your luggage, and it's awful to be in a position where you'd love to go swimming but can't for lack of a suit!

We are here now, bring your swimsuit if you believe you will use it, even remotely. It is not much to pack and time in the pool (any pool) is good.
It is hot but the crowds are good, not once has it been mob crowded.
We just got here yesterday, are spending the day at EPCOT so this is our experience today.

Will try to keep the crowd level updated. ☺
Have a magical day, we are!!
Stay cool, we are trying....

Hi ILoveMyDvc,
I totally hear you about poor parenting.
It is a universal problem. I sat next to a boy today who did not want to go on Soarin. He was hysterical just walking into where the auditorium where we sat. He buckled to the floor and was crying (loudly) that he was scared. His father picked him up and put on the seat....He was hysterical crying the whole time.
Ok just WOW.
Shameful!!
Clb

Sitting at MCO waiting for our flight back to Chicago - post Disney trip depression is setting in fast. As are the "work scarries" when I think about heading into the office tomorrow morning.

Quick thoughts:

Crowds were higher than expected Friday and Saturday, but Monday Tuesday and today were in line with expectations. I share the train of thought with those who say there isn't really a "dead" time at WDW anymore. And probably won't be until the next economic downturn. Not sure how many people evac-d from Florence affected the weekend, but we heard many people from the Carolinas talking about how it forced them into an unplanned Disney vacation.

Pop Century was way too big aka way too many people in one resort. The lines for buses at ANY time of day was frustratingly long. We had a particularly awful experience at Epcot at closing, where it is took an hour to get on a bus. Never again. If we're doing a value, we will be heading back to Sports.

MGM is a half day park, even with TSL. We greatly miss the Great Movie Ride. They need SWGE yesterday - that park is a shell.

MNSSHP was a blast, but definitely felt crowded. We didn't do a single meet and greet, but enjoyed the first parade and fireworks in the hub. Four gallon sized Ziplocs of candy between me and DW and we weren't actively seeking out ToT spots. It's a shame Disney continues to sell more tickets, but like crowd levels I don't expect any changes until the economy does.

September is hot. Like REALLY hot. I've never felt heat like this in June or August. Not sure if it's been unseasonably hot the past week but a "real feel" temp at 105 is just unbearable. We had a great anniversary trip, but will never be coming in September again. Just too hot.

To everyone who's still heading down this month, have a fantastic time! I'll be following along!

Thanks guys, swimsuit has been added to the packing list!

I'm used to high temperatures and hight humidity, but I'm usually inside. Being outside with the heat index near 105° will be a challenge. Good luck to everyone arriving this weekend!

Well, I think I am all packed except for my makeup bag and meds. I have one extra outfit but I figure that cant hurt. I think I will have laundry in my timeshare unit but didn't want to take a chance in case I don't. I had bought a small tray to use for food & wine and have decided against bringing it. I am bouncing off the walls! Last day of work tomorrow!

Thanks guys, swimsuit has been added to the packing list!

I'm used to high temperatures and hight humidity, but I'm usually inside. Being outside with the heat index near 105° will be a challenge. Good luck to everyone arriving this weekend!
I posted this in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here: early mornings are pleasant this time of year/this weather; evenings are hot but tolerable once the sun starts going down. Basically, you don't want to be out in the sun in the middle of the day; the heat and humidity's stifling and it'll wipe you out pretty quickly.

Personally, I'd stay in the park till around lunchtime, eat lunch in the park, then head back to the hotel for a nap (or for some pool time, or whatever out-of-the-heat activity suits your fancy). Then head back into the park for dinner and hang out until close.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here: early mornings are pleasant this time of year/this weather; evenings are hot but tolerable once the sun starts going down. Basically, you don't want to be out in the sun in the middle of the day; the heat and humidity's stifling and it'll wipe you out pretty quickly.

Personally, I'd stay in the park till around lunchtime, eat lunch in the park, then head back to the hotel for a nap (or for some pool time, or whatever out-of-the-heat activity suits your fancy). Then head back into the park for dinner and hang out until close.
We rarely have lunch while in the parks as we pick different resorts to explore depending on which park we’re in that day. We either use the QS location or have a late reservation for lunch. It’s a great way to get to know all the resorts without staying there! Then it’s back to our own hotel to rest before hopping to our second park of the day!

Today was a total bust...I am just now getting out of bed. Went to bed around 11pm last night. DH and I are still sick.
I cancelled our dinner res, and am hoping the meds kick in soon so we can go to Disney After Hours tonight. I am just miserable :(

My tooth would choose now to revolt and start hurting!!! So tomorrow I'm really hoping I can get into see a dentist, or I'm going to have a very painful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!