Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

Howdy folks (or crickets!!)
:wave:
I went on a little trip to Victoria, BC
I've been there. :)
This is in the adorable Victoria Harbour.
"adorable" Very appropriate word for it.
Can't imagine living there though, like being in a fish bowl all the time I'm sure!
I hadn't thought of that, but... yes it would be!
It's in every cliche tourist photo of Victoria for a reason,
::yes::
These electric scooters seem to be popping up everywhere. You can download an app and then ride them around and just leave them when you are done...cool idea, only there are scooters left everywhere!
Hmmm... to the point where it's a nuisance? Or clutter?
Here's the exciting part.....there is a I think...a reasonably good chance that my parents and kids and I will be renting a house near WDW in March for two weeks!!!!
Woot!
My dad is having knee surgery next week..
Hope that goes well for him. :)
So anyone who is gonna be at WDW between about March 8-20...let me know because would love to meet up!!
While it's not impossible... it's highly improbable.

Good luck to your dad on the upcoming surgery!
Glad you've had such great trips seeing such beautiful things :) I will certainly be thinking of you in March and hope to read your updates while snuggling my new grandbaby!

Thanks!! And a new grandbaby is certainly a good reason to stay home in March lol!!

Hmmm... to the point where it's a nuisance? Or clutter?

In some places they are actually a nuisance. I think in places where people have no manners lol...because they just leave them literally all over the place. In Venice Beach, we saw one floating in the canals, and thrown into the bushes and stuff...I think they may actually have too many there. In Salt Lake though, they are around but somehow don't seem as obvious.

Hope that goes well for him. :)

Thanks! Me too!! If it goes really well maybe he'll even come to a Disney park with us in March lol...though that would really be pushing it for him!!

I think I'm all caught up to this point finally! :)

Your March trip sounds nice! I hope the surgery goes well in the meantime.

Well I don't have much to say on the March possible WDW trip front...it's kind of up in the air at the moment but still a definite possibility.

My dad's surgery went well. The recovery is pretty slow though - I guess that happens when you are 87! But he is already walking better than he was before the surgery, he just says it is painful, but hopefully improving every day.

I've been a terrible DIS'er of late, what else is new! But really as far as this potential PTR goes, I still don't know for sure if a trip is in the works or not for March. I'm still campaigning for that with my family, only a couple of things are questionable...

If we go...we will for sure be staying offsite because we just need our space, as it would be my parents, myself and my two kids, and there is just no way we can all get what we need on WDW property without taking out a second mortgage. Offsite, we can get a whole house and somewhere comfortable where my dad, who probably won't even go into the parks, can hang out.

So that said, if we do this...it's gonna be a pretty late to the game trip...at the busiest possible time - March break!! But any Disney trip is a good Disney trip right? I would have to think seriously about how many park days to do - that said though...as you all know, anything after four days and the incremental cost to add days always makes sense even if you just go for a few hours - which is most likely what will end up happening for many of the days as we just don't have the stamina for open to close touring...(not that I ever did personally lol).

We also do want to check out the dark side at US to be able to see both HP lands and of course the Hogwarts Express...which means we'll still need that second mortgage even if staying offsite just to pay for two days over there....so more than likely we'll be in Orlando for two weeks...with maybe a five or six day park pass to WDW and then a couple of days at US if everyone is up for that.

My mom has decided if she is gonna theme park she wants an ECV....so be forewarned as she is a terrible driver lol. She once almost ran someone over in one of those ECV/Grocery cart things they have now, so I'm pretty scared for how this is gonna go. She can walk some, just not the extent that is really needed to experience theme parks, and since she probably won't go back anytime soon, she wants to actually see everything. But having never dealt with ECV's...I'm really not sure what the best thing to do is...I have to read up on that...I'm sure there is tons of info on here. I know I've read about people renting them and riding the busses at WDW...but what do you do if you are offsite and drive to the parks? Are there ones that you rent offsite and can fold up and put in the trunk of a normal sized rental car? Or are better off just getting a wheelchair when we go to each park? My mom wants to be independent, but I can't see her really going off on her own all that much, so there would be someone to push her pretty much always...I think? I am just not sure how she'd do with the crowds in an ECV...? Thoughts?

My dad is 87 and not all that interested in parks so I don't know that it would be worthwhile for him to go - especially considering the price of tickets these days - if it wasn't so insane to go for one day, I think he'd be interested in seeing Epcot...but it's just insane for a one day park pass. I think what I may do is try to just get him to do some resort hopping on the monorail and then maybe take him to one of the nicer restaurants or a steakhouse on property as I think he would enjoy that, as long as there isn't too much walking involved for him either - as he just had that knee replacement. He is doing well, but the recovery is quite slow when you are 87.

That's pretty much all the news around here - loving following on FB those of you who have had many trips in between mine that are few and far between! @DonnaBeeGood I can't wait to hear about yours!!

We will be in FL for Xmas holidays but down in Cape Coral - sadly nowhere near WDW...but warm-ish at least (well compared to home!)

If we go...we will for sure be staying offsite because we just need our space, as it would be my parents, myself and my two kids, and there is just no way we can all get what we need on WDW property without taking out a second mortgage.
I get that. Makes sense.
But any Disney trip is a good Disney trip right?
::yes::
We also do want to check out the dark side at US to be able to see both HP lands and of course the Hogwarts Express...which means we'll still need that second mortgage even if staying offsite just to pay for two days over there....so more than likely we'll be in Orlando for two weeks...with maybe a five or six day park pass to WDW and then a couple of days at US if everyone is up for that.
I'm up for that. When are we going?
My mom has decided if she is gonna theme park she wants an ECV....so be forewarned as she is a terrible driver lol
On second thought... I value my Achilles tendons too much... :rolleyes:

I've been a terrible DIS'er of late, what else is new!

ME TOO!!! LOL!

.so more than likely we'll be in Orlando for two weeks...with maybe a five or six day park pass to WDW and then a couple of days at US if everyone is up for that.

WOW! Nice long trip!! Sounds amazing!

.I think? I am just not sure how she'd do with the crowds in an ECV...? Thoughts?
I'm thinking if you're already nervous you should be MORE nervous with the crowds, buses, etc... I pushed my mom and while tough, if there are others to help out and share the work, it won't be too bad. Safer, I think too.

I am definitely back and luckily the landing back into real life hasn't been too hard. Returned home to work 6 days in a row, so this has been my first day off and catching up on laundry, and avoiding walking the dogs since it's been freezing rain/snow here. One of the ladies in my tap class fell last week and broker her shoulder, and another has torn her rotator cuff, and DD22 has strained her arm slipping in a parking lot while carrying school supplies, so I'm determined not to feel too guilty about being lazy and cozy.
My stay at the Wyndham Orlando Bonnet Creek was a lovely and luxurious way to start my relaxing holiday. Beautiful room which was ready for me early so I could go catch a quick cat nap. This hotel had more time options for their shuttle service, dropped off and picked up at each park, and included shuttles to Disney Springs, so I took advantage of that and went to Disney Springs on Thursday and Friday night for supper and entertainment. The shuttle was also a legit coach bus, not just an old school bus that had an advertising wrap like the shuttle at the Clarion Lake Buena Vista. I'm sure the 5 pools and lazy river are very nice, I just am not much of a swimmer/lounger. Plus my sunscreen was confiscated before I made it through my first security screening, and I didn't feel like paying $20-ish in the park for sunscreen. Lucky for me it was a generally warm but cloudy trip with a few days of rain and showers.
Transfer to All Star Sports went very well and the preferred room was great - I could nip over to the food court to grab a tea for back in my room whenever I had the time. It was a truly relaxing Disney trip - so much so that I would even forget when I had Fast Passes booked and would just change them to whatever I felt like doing. I ended up being so overstuffed from my BOG lunchtime meal that I tried to eat pretty light for the rest of my trip. I ended up cancelling my 50's Prime Time reservation and I was intending to eat at the Tune In Lounge, but the day of I just wasn't feeling it. I was lucky and was able to walk up to Sci Fi Dine In and waited about 15 minutes and was able to hitch hike in a car. Really it just turned into that type of trip; I was really looking forward to Food and Wine but on those days again just wasn't feeling it, and had some great meals at the Tangerine Cafe. The creme brulee from Food and Wine was absolutely the best though - it was the only thing I ended up getting from the booths! Peeked once at SWGE, not my cup of tea. It was really a lovely getaway again though, and it was great being back in the Disney bubble. It was great as a reconnection trip with myself. Some days at work I am so busy that the day just flies by being too overwhelmed some days to even think if I am hungry; this trip I actually had the luxury of deciding when and if I was hungry and what I was hungry for. Definitely lots of good memories, and one of the most relaxing Disney trips ever. Thank you again for helping me arrange my escape!
Wow thanks for sharing all that!! Sounds like an amazing trip Donna!! And sounds just perfect, doing whatever you want when you want...that's just luxurious!! I love creme brulee...the best!! And I'm so glad the Wyndham was a step up and good way to start things off!! BOG is so good but you're right, super filling! I love that you changed plans on the go, that's what's so great about a solo trip, being able to do that. I love it!

WOW! Nice long trip!! Sounds amazing!
Yes it will be nice and long...if it happens. The one thing though is that even if we get to stay in Orlando for two weeks...I know that no one else will want to have as much park time as I will!! And there is never enough lol..but I will take what I can get. Right now just focussing on making it happen!

Helloooo DisPeeps!! I've been a terrible DISer as usual! But I have news if anyone is interested!! We are going to Disney in March!!! It's official! Flights booked! However...I have to keep calm!! I am VERY excited about this...however..I must control myself and resist the urge to start the spreadsheets!! This is going to be a different kind of trip...and I have to manage expectations (mostly mine!)

As is probably obvious...I'm the biggest Disney fan of anyone in my family or those I will be travelling with....So. We are staying offsite because with 7 people wanting some measure of comfort in terms of accommodations, and not wanting to take out a second mortgage to go in March...onsite just wasn't even a remote possibility. So. We are staying at a rental house that is in the Windsor at Westside community. It's supposedly "minutes" from Disney...we'll see what that means in terms of actual drive time in March break traffic!

My two teenagers and I will be there from March 6-22. My mom will be there for March 11-22 and my two friends will be joining us sometime in there for about a week. If anyone is there during that time I'd love to try to DisMeet - BUT...as I will mention...I think I may be pulling my hair our trying to herd the cats in my family to get how Disney works etc....so it may not be all that easy to figure out where I will be and when lol!

But I'm going to DIsney!! Still haven't decided if I will even TRY to get on ROTR - both because of the process and crowds in March but also because "the drop" but it looks so cool I'd really like to face my fear and do it...if it's even possible. Not sure how they will be handling that my March if it will still be boarding groups etc. Also gotta get on planning some meals etc.

That's where we are now...I have to start doing the math and figuring out how many park days make sense, and how many Universal days as well. I think probably just one day at the dark side...but then one day is so ridiculously expensive. But I would rather add incremental days to Disney of course! Have to start looking at restaurants etc too...but like I said..planning for this group is going to be challenging!

Wish me luck and patience!!

Helloooo DisPeeps!! I've been a terrible DISer as usual! But I have news if anyone is interested!! We are going to Disney in March!!! It's official! Flights booked! However...I have to keep calm!! I am VERY excited about this...however..I must control myself and resist the urge to start the spreadsheets!! This is going to be a different kind of trip...and I have to manage expectations (mostly mine!)
Hurray and happy trip planning! Every Disney trip is a good trip, just special and unique in their own way. :)

We are going to Disney in March!!! It's official!

YAY!!!
I am VERY excited about this...however..I must control myself and resist the urge to start the spreadsheets!!

But... WHY?!

It's supposedly "minutes" from Disney...we'll see what that means in terms of actual drive time in March break traffic!
That could mean 10 minutes... or 110 minutes. ;)

Wish me luck and patience!!
You'll need it!!

YAY!!!
But... WHY?!

That could mean 10 minutes... or 110 minutes. ;)

You'll need it!!

I've caved and started a spreadsheet. The reason I was hesitant to even do one is because while I'm the only one who is likely to take any planning seriously...I think it will frustrate me to death if no one else is interested in partaking in the process. lol...but I'm doing it anyway.

I checked on Google Maps for the actual drive time - it is 22 mins to the transportation and ticket center at MK, and slightly more or less to all the other parks and DS, a few minutes more to US. So that's not terrible I don't think. I think that's also doable by Uber or Lyft in case I don't want to do the drive.

But yes...patience I think I will need. The 30 day mark is approaching in early Feb, so I have to try to get everyone to figure out how many park days they want to do, and then try to figure out best days. They are all looking super crowded so I will have to keep expectations in check! I think this is the trip I'm going to have to just try to chill out and take it all in.

I've spent much of the day when I should have been doing other productive things...doing Disney math :) While I enjoy all the ways I can rationalize buying an AP....I went through so many combinations to see if it would be worth it or not, and it is almost comical how every time I get to the end of my calculations....it makes me laugh because Disney just knows how to get you every which way!! It's like one of those crazy multiple choice questions where they do the math every which way you could possibly think of and it's one of the answers? Anyone remember those, so you never know if you are right or not?

Here's the rub. This MIGHT be the only trip for me and the rest of my family this year. However IF I can rationalize buying an AP....then of course I'd do whatever it takes to get back to WDW within the year. But will it actually SAVE any money? Not likely...because without it...I probably would not make as much of an effort to go back as soon, because in reality I don't usually get the chance to go more than once per calendar year.

If I get an AP though...and get my kids the 10 day park hopper tickets for Canadian residents....It's $602 more than if I just got the 10 day park hoppers for all three of us.

Here's where Disney math gets you. AP holders get free parking. If I don't get the AP and we park for 10 days, that's $250. So with that math, the AP scenario really only costs $452 more than not having the AP. I know there are discounts on food and other benefits...but are any of them significant enough to save me that much money? I have no idea...And if I'm the only one who has it...anyone buying food etc wanting those discounts would have to be with me.

So if I were to go back....would I buy tickets adding up to $452 or more? I have no idea. If it's a short trip, I may not. And if I stayed onsite which I would if it was just me...then I wouldn't need the parking.

At this point I'm thinking the Disney math doesn't even add up sadly...as much as I really wanted to try being an AP holder!

But if I rule out the AP, there's then the question of how many park days to get. Realistically there are days I know we will not go to any parks, and my mom and friends want to have at least one day at the dark side...US. So that leaves us with a maximum of 9 possible park days. Out of that, I would be content to do just 7 park days as would everyone else. However...again, this is where Disney gets you. My mom is joining us part way through the trip, so we will want some park days at the start before she arrives, and some park days at the end when she is with us. BUT...if we buy the 7 day ticket, which is all we really need....but we don't want to do 7 consecutive park days...then it will run out before the end of our trip because of the expiry dates once you start using them. Yes, you can get the no expiry option....but the cost to add that is MORE than the cost of adding an extra 3 park days!! So then you think well then I'd rather just get the extra park days...just in CASE we feel like heading in for a couple of hours....

But then you are back to...if you are just going for a couple of hours....without the AP you still have to either UBER or pay $25 to park!! ARRRRGH Also, the Canadian resident tickets make you either bring your passport - original - to the parks to prove you are a Canadian Citizen, or take it to Disney Springs before your first park day. I really don't want to take my passport to the parks so I guess we have to build that into the schedule too.

My head then really starts to spin when I think about the cost to go to US for one day with Express pass....and I really wanted to ride the Hogwarts express....but then of course you need the park hopper...and is it worth the cost of that JUST for that ride and for one day when there is lots of other stuff to do there? I just don't think I can justify it. Personally I could live without going to US at all, though I do love me some Butterbeer. But my mom has never been and my friends want to go as well, so it's going to be really tough to figure out.

Any tips from people who have planned for a group much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!