The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this Sword in the Stone mention just a hope of yours, or has it been mentioned by someone?

Because I would do some unspeakable things to see a Sword in the Stone attraction at Disney World.

Unspeakable.

I would be surprised- the King Arthur story isn't one that Disney has the definitive version of (why you don't see more of Herculean for example)

Not to say it couldn't make for a cool attraction, I just don't see it

Mary Poppins I would very excited for though (assuming it is based on the original and not the sequel)

Love the poppins idea but sword in the stone or Robin Hood I think would fit well in the U.K. Pavilion and bring in something different about U.K. Culture and history.

As for the birds, I hope they are just updated

I would be bummed about the Tiki room if it is really changed - though the fact that Disneyland would still have the original and better version would lessen the blow

It has not been mentioned specifically.

Yeah. I kinda figured, but I got my hopes up a little. It's my favorite Disney animated movie of all time. ALL TIME!

I would be surprised- the King Arthur story isn't one that Disney has the definitive version of (why you don't see more of Herculean for example)

Not to say it couldn't make for a cool attraction, I just don't see it

Mary Poppins I would very excited for though (assuming it is based on the original and not the sequel)

Oh, pin feathers and golly fluff! Archimedes could carry the attraction by himself. With a side of Merlin. :wizard:

Last edited:
Love the poppins idea but sword in the stone or Robin Hood I think would fit well in the U.K. Pavilion and bring in something different about U.K. Culture and history.

As for the birds, I hope they are just updated

considering the mary poppins sequel is to be released in 2018, it would seem a done deal that the new attraction in the UK will be based on mary poppins ...

considering the mary poppins sequel is to be released in 2018, it would seem a done deal that the new attraction in the UK will be based on mary poppins ...

Yeah but they keep saying it's not the favorite but I genuinely can't imagine a better fit and a more popular fit? AND with the timing, it seems like the obvious thing to do but the report is continually that they have another option they like better :/

I get that there is a sequel to Mary Poppins. What we don't know is how popular it will be, there has been some backlash to it, and some very positive hope. We don't know till more is released. I get the impression that the IPs they are looking at are not based on what is coming out soon. Just my opinion, but this is not the first time Martin and other insiders have stated that Poppins is not the leading contender right now.

I get that there is a sequel to Mary Poppins. What we don't know is how popular it will be, there has been some backlash to it, and some very positive hope. We don't know till more is released. I get the impression that the IPs they are looking at are not based on what is coming out soon. Just my opinion, but this is not the first time Martin and other insiders have stated that Poppins is not the leading contender right now.
Even if it isn't popular the original is.

Whatever it is, I hope it focuses on the UK as well as the IP and not just the IP

The more I think about it, the more I think The Sword in the Stone makes perfect sense.

It's Arthurian legend so it's deeply rooted in British history. It's also a film that teaches basic science concepts throughout, which ties directly back to the roots of Epcot.

They can tie in all the Disney IP merchandising, teach everyone some old school British folklore, and throw in some STEM learning.

It's a win-win-win. Which is of course why it will never happen.

The more I think about it, the more I think The Sword in the Stone makes perfect sense.

It's Arthurian legend so it's deeply rooted in British history. It's also a film that teaches basic science concepts throughout, which ties directly back to the roots of Epcot.

They can tie in all the Disney IP merchandising, teach everyone some old school British folklore, and throw in some STEM learning.

Well... that and the fact that they don't own the story. I won't say it won't happen, and I love the idea, I just think Disney is less likely to use stories they don't own the rights to.

Well... that and the fact that they don't own the story. I won't say it won't happen, and I love the idea, I just think Disney is less likely to use stories they don't own the rights to.

See, that's always the counter argument, but they also don't own train stories or haunted house legends or mermaid tales or pirate adventures. Heck, most of their popular stuff (especially the princesses) is based on old tales with alternative stories and origins of their own. It doesn't stop them from marketing their own versions. There are even plenty of other British Nanny books and movies.

The thing they can do like they do with everything else is very successfully market their own version of it.

All that said, I realize it's probably not even on their radar. It's more of an "if I were in charge" kind of thing.

See, that's always the counter argument, but they also don't own train stories or haunted house legends or mermaid tales or pirate adventures. Heck, most of their popular stuff (especially the princesses) is based on old tales with alternative stories and origins of their own. It doesn't stop them from marketing their own versions. There are even plenty of other British Nanny books and movies.

The thing they can do like they do with everything else is very successfully market their own version of it.

All that said, I realize it's probably not even on their radar. It's more of an "if I were in charge" kind of thing.

Oh I agree 100%. But it just seems they are moving that direction. And with competing versions of Little Mermaid in movie pipelines right now, I wonder if the push toward IP they own won't increase. Not that the older stuff is going away, not by a longshot. And some of that is the best stuff in WDW. So I hope they don't push this trend. But I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Oh I agree 100%. But it just seems they are moving that direction. And with competing versions of Little Mermaid in movie pipelines right now, I wonder if the push toward IP they own won't increase. Not that the older stuff is going away, not by a longshot. And some of that is the best stuff in WDW. So I hope they don't push this trend. But I wouldn't be surprised at all.

You're argument is very valid and widely shared. But like you, I hope it doesn't sway them away from what are some of Disney's best stories just to have a slight corporate advantage.

I think it is based on if it is generally considered that disney has the definitive version of a story.

When the vast majority of people think of Snow White or The Little Mermaid - they think of Disney's version ... that isn't the case with Hercules or King Arthur

Maybe the could do something that focuses on all of British Literature/mythology (similar to the Great movie Ride in structure) - could cover King Arthur, marry Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, Shakespeare, Harry Potter ... oh, wait

I think it is based on if it is generally considered that disney has the definitive version of a story.

When the vast majority of people think of Snow White or The Little Mermaid - they think of Disney's version ... that isn't the case with Hercules or King Arthur

The first thing I think of when King Arthur is brought up is Monty Python.

"Look, let me go back in there and face the peril." :love1:

Lou Ferrigno comes to mind with Hercules. Kevin Sorbo maybe?

There are so many takes on each, I just don't know which is considered definitive.

But I get the point. The notion is Disney will pull up IPs it thinks they have enough control over and can sell.

The fact is, for the UK pavillion they have so many choices to pick from, which has been shared alot. We all have our favorites, and I know Mary Poppins is one of them.

You could have any of the following:
Mary Poppins, Sword in the stone, Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Brave, Bed Knobs and Broomsticks, Mr. Toad, and I am sure I am missing some.

I am going strictly on my gut here.....

So far we have Frozen in Norway(won't start argument again on if it fits or not....it is what it is), we have Rat going to France, so the additions seemed to be more toward the animation side of things. Most of the meet and greets are also animation related I believe except for UK with Mary Poppins. To me if you are going animation and Disney - then in UK you have to look at Alice, Sword in the stone, Dalmatians or Brave as the leaders would you not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter