The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also school schedules seem a bit in the air and people will probably want to take some time figuring things out. I know some states have a fall break when people would go to WDW bit I think some have their start dates pushed back
This is definitely the case in SC, GA and many other southern states. My school/ district pushed our start date back to September 1 in the hopes that the COVID surge will be on the decline when it is normally mid August. To compensate breaks later in the year are being reduced and the school year now extends into June... big impacts for Disney even if we manage to get a COVID vaccine early next year.

I’m no insider, but allow me to speculate. Could this mean...
A) long-term restraints on guest capacity with a goal toward greater spend/guest (give on-site guests an even greater advantage in terms of park selection and potentially hopping); lower capacity obviates the need for FP
and/or
B) ride reservation system becomes a new revenue stream

I’m no insider, but allow me to speculate. Could this mean...
A) long-term restraints on guest capacity with a goal toward greater spend/guest (give on-site guests an even greater advantage in terms of park selection and potentially hopping); lower capacity obviates the need for FP
and/or
B) ride reservation system becomes a new revenue stream
I’m betting B. But I don’t know anything either.

The only thing that's going to keep some form of fastpasses right now is that all the rides have two queues. Disney is using this time to reset/redo everything with COVID as an excuse to change things.

Coming out on the other side, we'll see probably more things like virtual queues and pay-for fastpasses. Who's ready for on demand fastpasses where cost is scaled by demand?

• People are going to get used to the park reservation system.
  • People coming back to the parks in a year from now are going to be used to it being part of the lexicon.
  • Disney is going to get used to the power of dispersing crowds across multiple parks.

I can easily see Disney keeping park reservations in some form, so they can control crowds at each park. Disney knows that park crowds is a negative, this will be a tool they will use. Disney already trained us to book ADR/Fastpasses 60-180 days before the trip. You will now have to get used doing that for parks instead of FPs.

Hoppers will come back, but probably after a certain time of day.

APs will see a higher spike in cost, closer to 2000$ if I had to wildly guess, and will allow you to skip reservations and park hopping restrictions.

I'm just a random guy thinking up things like this. You know something like this is being discussed somewhere between people who think of these things for a living.

The only thing that's going to keep some form of fastpasses right now is that all the rides have two queues. Disney is using this time to reset/redo everything with COVID as an excuse to change things.

Coming out on the other side, we'll see probably more things like virtual queues and pay-for fastpasses. Who's ready for on demand fastpasses where cost is scaled by demand?

• People are going to get used to the park reservation system.
  • People coming back to the parks in a year from now are going to be used to it being part of the lexicon.
  • Disney is going to get used to the power of dispersing crowds across multiple parks.

I can easily see Disney keeping park reservations in some form, so they can control crowds at each park. Disney knows that park crowds is a negative, this will be a tool they will use. Disney already trained us to book ADR/Fastpasses 60-180 days before the trip. You will now have to get used doing that for parks instead of FPs.

Hoppers will come back, but probably after a certain time of day.

APs will see a higher spike in cost, closer to 2000$ if I had to wildly guess, and will allow you to skip reservations and park hopping restrictions.

I'm just a random guy thinking up things like this. You know something like this is being discussed somewhere between people who think of these things for a living.
Agree that Park Pass is here to stay with an eventual park hopping upcharge option.

The fastpass queues will remain, but using them will become an upcharge under a different name. WDW loves to do this - think memory maker/photopass nomenclature.

Disagree regarding APs. The strategy has to be either you want them or you don’t. Jacking up the price will just infuriate people for little benefit (although I could see a very expensive all-access pass that is park pass independent, etc). The current pause in APs allows WDW to clearly change the terms of service and make limited park pass reservations part of the deal.

Agree that Park Pass is here to stay with an eventual park hopping upcharge option.

The fastpass queues will remain, but using them will become an upcharge under a different name. WDW loves to do this - think memory maker/photopass nomenclature.

Disagree regarding APs. The strategy has to be either you want them or you don’t. Jacking up the price will just infuriate people for little benefit (although I could see a very expensive all-access pass that is park pass independent, etc). The current pause in APs allows WDW to clearly change the terms of service and make limited park pass reservations part of the deal.

Let's ignore Florida residents for a moment. The main reason why people buy APs is because they plan multiple trips to WDW a year and they end up saving cash on tickets. Disney doesn't really offer any other primary reason than that. They have been already pricing people out of APs with the huge increases over the last few years.

Disney wants less AP holders. They want those people buying ticket packages each time they come to WDW but they aren't going to get rid of APs. If they end up jacking up the price and put additional limitations on the parks, that AP is not about saving money but now about giving you more ACCESS.

People will pay more money for access.

So if you see them making us pay for Fast Passes, how do you think it’ll work? Will it be like MaxPass at Disneyland? Or do you think it’ll be a specific price for each Fast Pass you make? Also, do you think resort guests would get some perk out of it, like first dibs on them or a percentage off or some other benefit?

As for park reservations, I’m not opposed to it, but it takes even more spontaneity out of the trip. Park hopping has to be an option in some form. It also has to be somewhat easy to switch plans around. Sometimes, while on vacation, you switch gears and decide to go to a different park. I’d hope that you would still be able to do that.

So if you see them making us pay for Fast Passes, how do you think it’ll work? Will it be like MaxPass at Disneyland? Or do you think it’ll be a specific price for each Fast Pass you make? Also, do you think resort guests would get some perk out of it, like first dibs on them or a percentage off or some other benefit?

As for park reservations, I’m not opposed to it, but it takes even more spontaneity out of the trip. Park hopping has to be an option in some form. It also has to be somewhat easy to switch plans around. Sometimes, while on vacation, you switch gears and decide to go to a different park. I’d hope that you would still be able to do that.
I'm thinking it's going to be similar to the Shanghai fast pass system they are using now. You pay for a bundle of different rides. The cost there is between $70 and $90.

Will it be like MaxPass at Disneyland?
Disneyland still uses the paper fast pass system. MaxPass provides the ability to bypass the paper Fast Pass and make your choices digitally. So unless WDW wants to add back in physical Fast Pass distribution points, they really can't implement MaxPass as it is currently designed at Disneyland.

I'm thinking it's going to be similar to the Shanghai fast pass system they are using now. You pay for a bundle of different rides. The cost there is between $70 and $90.

Hmm, that’s not too bad, I suppose. I still think there should be some perk in regards to Fast Passes for resort guests. Resort guests have slowly been losing perks over the years. First crack at FPs was a good one to still have.

Hmm, that’s not too bad, I suppose. I still think there should be some perk in regards to Fast Passes for resort guests. Resort guests have slowly been losing perks over the years. First crack at FPs was a good one to still have.
This then gets into the model that Universal Orlando has implemented. As a day guest you can purchase their Universal Express Pass. For resort guests at the higher cost resorts (e.g. Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific), the Unlimited Universal Express Pass is a perk for staying at one of these resorts. Guests at other Universal Resorts do not have this perk. They could buy it though.

I do agree that WDW resort guests should have some additional perks. Correct that it feels that we have been losing them over the past few years.

I deleted a whole post because I started thinking that Disney would never go there. I half suspect them to create a carnival ticket system like you have to buy tickets and each ride costs X amount of tickets to get on, except the standby line cost 0. Then X will vary depending on demand and wait times. I can't believe that Disney will nickle and dime that much, but who knows.

Of course if that were to happen, you'll get a maxpass with unlimited tickets. And you'll be able to buy ticket bundles with each vacation package. Maybe some free tickets depending on how many park tickets you buy or resort night stays.

Make those tickets nonbindable so you can save them for your next trip. Then you can make gift cards so that grandma can buy the kids X amount of tickets before their trip. Or if your a D23 member you get X tickets per year.

I should probably stop giving them ideas.

This then gets into the model that Universal Orlando has implemented. As a day guest you can purchase their Universal Express Pass. For resort guests at the higher cost resorts (e.g. Portofino, Hard Rock and Royal Pacific), the Unlimited Universal Express Pass is a perk for staying at one of these resorts. Guests at other Universal Resorts do not have this perk. They could buy it though.

I do agree that WDW resort guests should have some additional perks. Correct that it feels that we have been losing them over the past few years.

I’m familiar with Universal’s Express Pass. It’s the reason I stay at Hard Rock or Royal Pacific when there. Disney could do something along those lines. Unlimited Express for Deluxe guests, one time use Express for Moderates, and have those in Values choose to pay. Though if I was paying for a suite in AoA, I’d be a little peeved about paying extra.

I’m familiar with Universal’s Express Pass. It’s the reason I stay at Hard Rock or Royal Pacific when there. Disney could do something along those lines. Unlimited Express for Deluxe guests, one time use Express for Moderates, and have those in Values choose to pay. Though if I was paying for a suite in AoA, I’d be a little peeved about paying extra.

I could see something like that - higher level hotel the more you get included. I do think they would still try to have some perk for value resort guests to help promote people to stay there. Maybe even just early access to buy it for a certain day as I would think at least for crowded times theyw oudl "run out" of "express pass" for certain days (as they have to limit it to some extent otherwise defeats the value of having it)

Other thing I could see is rather than include it with the resort stay you can get it include with a package - sort of like now when they do free dining you have to have a ticket with park hopper of a certain level day attached. So that includign this just becomes part of the package price and lets them run "specials" where it doesn't really save you money but you get more inlcuded for your spend

Maybe even just early access to buy it for a certain day as I would think at least for crowded times theyw oudl "run out" of "express pass" for certain days (as they have to limit it to some extent otherwise defeats the value of having it)
Universal, along with most parks that have a similar system, limit it. Frequently two tiered for unlimited rides or once on each. Some parks though, like Cedar Point, still gets 2 hour plus lines for Fast Lane, even with charging triple the price of a day ticket.

Universal, along with most parks that have a similar system, limit it. Frequently two tiered for unlimited rides or once on each. Some parks though, like Cedar Point, still gets 2 hour plus lines for Fast Lane, even with charging triple the price of a day ticket.

I think that will be really interesting if Disney goes down this path - how much do you need to charge for it to really provide a benefit? Too 'cheap" and then everyone gets it and it defeats the purpose but too high and either people don't buy it or the optic are bad if you have to spend $400/day on top of $130 to get in the gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter