The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

ATTQOTD: The combination of higher temperatures and dew points. Had two runs this weekend that I tried to get out early for and beat the heat. The temperatures themselves weren't too bad, but when you throw in the dew points they became a sticky mess. Saturday at 6:00 AM was 73 degrees with a 72 degree dew point (99% rel humidity) and Sunday at 7:00 AM was 75 degrees with a 73 degree dew point (97% rel humidity). Normally I'd love those temps in the summer, but not with those dew points. Even with @DopeyBadgers handy T+D pace adjustments, the runs were stiflingly difficult. I'd rather run in the rain. I'd be just as wet, but at least the rain would be cooling!

sourire and LSUlakes like this.
  2. Sailormoon2

Sailormoon2 DIS Veteran

So I DNS's on my 1/2 this weekend, which was supposed to be for a hopefully improved Dopey POT. I've been really burnt out for the last few weeks, and as a result was just not recovering well from my Marathon of 3 weeks ago. I have another 1/2 coming up in September, so one more shot at bettering my time!

LSUlakes likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

Heat and humidity...although I think I'll echo @camaker about the very humid, high dew point days; I tend to do worse when it's very humid than if it's a tad bit hotter but more of a dry heat. I also think whether I've been training in heat for a while before a race will affect how "used to it I am." So early June unexpected heat is brutal where I can kind of handle it better in late August.

A ton of hills though still probably affects my time more than weather at this point. Which I know wasn't the question.

JohnRPG, LSUlakes and SheHulk like this.
  5. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

CONGRATS on that age group placement! Have you looked up who came in first so you can see if you can bump them off the top spot next year? :)

6. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I'm with others on the humidity/dew point. I would rather be on one of our winter single digit temps runs than a really humid/high dew point one.

7. disneydaydreamer33

disneydaydreamer33 DIS Veteran

I would say high heat that my body isn't used to. We have dry heat in Utah (so thankfully not a lot of humidity running), and in the winter/spring I run in the afternoon. My first afternoon run on our first truly hot day though wiped me out and honestly made me feel ill for a few days! That first hot afternoon run is always the one to get me to start to wake up early again! (Now in the middle of winter, I'll probably be complaining about cold-weather-frozen-butt-running, so whatever season I'm in, I think I find stuff to complain about! :)

8. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

ATQOTD: Ditto what others have said about heat, humidity and dew point, and what I'm about to go running in right now, direct from TWC.
    Temperature 78
    Wind SSW 9 mph
    Humidity 95%
    Dew Point 71

LSUlakes and SheHulk like this.
  9. ZellyB

ZellyB DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Heat kills me every time now. I'm on some medication that messes with my internal temp controls even under normal circumstances. Combine that with running and heat (and worse yet head and humidity) and it wipes me out!

LSUlakes and SheHulk like this.
  10. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

I don't actually know what dew point means, but I know that when it's high, just like humidity, it sucks. :D I would prefer not to run in dry heat either, but I find that I can stand that more if I make sure to not do it when the sun is high. Like early morning or later evening... well in reality later evening because early mornings in New England tend to be real muggy. We don't get dry heat until later in the day if we're going to get it at all.

LSUlakes likes this.
  11. SarahDisney

SarahDisney So ... Yeah

Probably humidity. Humidity makes normal temperatures unbearable.
    Active precipitation (rain or snow) can drive me indoors to the treadmill, but I'm still running at a decent pace, so while it annoys me, I don't know that I'd call it a negative effect.

It's someone I don't know, so I don't know if she'll be back next year. (And I was only 12 seconds behind her!)
    What I really have to worry about is how many 29-year-olds there were ahead of me that might end up in the 30-34 age group next year...

LSUlakes likes this.
  12. PCFriar80

PCFriar80 BCV/CT

Dew Point v. Humidity. There will be a quiz tomorrow! :teacher:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/190/

13. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

OMG I do the same thing. I'm always looking at 34 year old results with a side eye knowing their about to creep into my age...and then I get excited when someone faster than me is already 39. (only for local, small races to be clear...)

sourire, LSUlakes, SheHulk and 2 others like this.
  14. AbbyJaws2003

AbbyJaws2003 Burdened with glorious purpose...

I would have to say high humidity/dew point and add in some bright sunshine. I do okay in the summer with heat and humidity as long as there is some cloud cover, if there isn't then I gas out much earlier than normal, even with slowing down. I have slightly sensitive eyes to bright sun and can't run with sunglasses because my face overheats so I try to do hats to counter the squinty annoyance but a hat only does so much for me. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sunshine, but a few clouds are really appreciated when I go for a run! I can handle pretty much all of those things when it is just a singular issue, but add two or more of them together and it will get to me.

JohnRPG and LSUlakes like this.
  15. CheapRunnerMike

CheapRunnerMike DIS Veteran

Heat, humidity and lotsa sun = my kryptonite. That combo is the worst and saps me every time.

opusone, cburnett11, JohnRPG and 2 others like this.
  16. Nole95

Nole95 DIS Veteran

Humidity is not my friend. Kills me every time, and is just so difficult to run in.

No matter how hard I have trained, if I run a race where the humidity is high, I often will not do good at all.

17. TinkerBellLiz

TinkerBellLiz Mouseketeer

Congratulations!!

Congratulations on your first race. A 5k is what started us down the "road" of running!

ATTQOTD: In winter, I can't run in temps below 45 degrees since it happens so seldom here. I can't seem to warm up properly. For the rest of the 51 and a half weeks of the year, the sun is my nemesis followed by temperature. This is my first summer running and heat overall is playing a factor in pace. We've slowed down but if I hit a patch of sun, I just walk now. Of course with 97% + humidity I feel more like :fish:

@DopeyBadger: I talked to my trainer last week after our conversation and we looked at my stress test (we're repeating it on Friday since it was taken before my physical therapy back in February). I apparently have a max heart rate that is above average for my age (201) and her recommendation was not to exceed 180 at any point. Based on her calculations, I need to stay between 125 and 165 for heart rate during my runs.

We did our first 10k run on Saturday and I ended up walking the 4th mile to lower my heart rate. I need to learn to start slower... Pace for walking was 15:43. That said, T (73) + D (71) = 144 at start and 75 + 73 = 148 at the end. We had a late start but that is going to be the norm until November. :crazy2:

Last week we were both hurting after the 5 miler and I was worried about moving up to 6 miles. Walking the 4th mile and skipping a run interval in the 5th brought my heart rate down to minimum and put me back on pace for the last mile. We finished feeling good and knowing we could have gone further (but slower as it was really getting warm!) After our 30 minute rest with recovery food and water, we still saw folks running the trail and it was 83 + 79 = 161!

We finish this 10k program in 5 weeks and we both decided to just repeat it again leading into our 10k race in October. After that and when it's a bit cooler, we'll start our half marathon program and add more miles to the long runs!

DH and I have an agreement that we stick together so we only run as fast as the slowest of us feels comfortable. :love2: No competition here!

I also wanted to belatedly say pixiedust: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY pixiedust: to all the dads out there! Hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday.

18. FredtheDuck

FredtheDuck DIS Veteran

Hooray! Congrats on finishing your first official race!

But you DID handle it! You adjusted your race strategy and you finished the race - with a respectable time, too.

As one should after a race.

Congrats!

Good for you for knowing your limits, though. DNS>Injury any time.

I'll disclaim this by saying that my answer is based on my running prior to starting this @DopeyBadger training plan. But, it's actually the biting cold that has the biggest impact on me. For some reason, it really aggravates my asthma. I have a much harder time regulating my breathing when it's below 27 or so, and the result is uncomfortable enough that I have tended to keep my outdoor runs to below 3 miles in that kind of weather.

LSUlakes likes this.
  19. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Same as others, heat/humidity/dew point. When it is so humid that the sweat doesn't evaporate off of my skin I feel like I am suffocating. And tech material is terrible for wiping sweat off. I am thinking of buying a Squosh Sports Band so I will always have something handy for wiping my face.

https://www.sqooshbands.com/

LSUlakes likes this.
  20. MrsHull

MrsHull Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I think humidity plus sun really does me in. It was so bad here yesterday that I felt sluggish walking from the car to the house, let alone attempting a run. Ick!

Race 13.1 Roanoke Recap: (10k)

Thank you all for encouraging me to run my first 10k! The race started at 7:15am, which is insanely early for someone who usually works until 1:30am. But, I took the night before off so I was good to go when the alarm went off at 5:30.

My husband was running this one, too. We also saw several friends at the beginning. I'm considerably slower than he is, so we don't run together, but we managed to start to together.

I found the run to be fairly easy- much easier than I had anticipated. I ran 2 minute intervals with a minute of walking in between for the first half and then 3min run/1 min walk for the last half. There was a lot of support between runners and some people were out cheering along the course, which was an out and back on the greenway. I made use of the water/Gatorade stations and ate a horehound drop every thirty minutes to give me a little more umph. Between miles 4 and 5, I got a pretty sizable side stitch that even crawled into my right arm, but an extended walking break brought some relief. The Gatorade at mile 5 made me forget about it completely.

I finished in 1:40:15, which is just about where I thought I might be. Slow as mud, but I wasn't last! I think I may have been the last person doing any sort of running, though. My average pace was 15:49 and I managed to run the first three miles at a pretty steady pace, with splits within a few seconds of each other.

But, the best news is that my husband placed first in his age group! After recovering from a knee injury, he had to drop down from the half to the 10k and thought he might finish walking. So proud of him!

21. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Well humidity is a big factor. I can run in cold. Wind sucks but is manageable. I won't run in down pours or snow showers. Just not something I want to do, it isn't any fun.

LSUlakes likes this.