The Running Thread - 2018

Is there anyone here that can help with strength training plans? I realize I’m going to need to be able to lift up to 100 pounds of dog from time to time and at least that gives me motivation to get back to the non-cardio side of the gym.

Is there anyone here that can help with strength training plans? I realize I’m going to need to be able to lift up to 100 pounds of dog from time to time and at least that gives me motivation to get back to the non-cardio side of the gym.

Ping me in the morning and I'll send you the circuit training routine/plan that I used to do.

I enjoy it because my daughter enjoys it. But if there would come a time that I was going to race in Disney and they couldn't come with (like 2018 was going to be), then I'd probably just hang out in my hotel. I don't have a strong desire or interest to go to the theme parks and stuff. But I am interested in trying some of the new rides that come out, just not interested in riding the same things over and over in a short span of time. So I guess yes, and no.

I don't go for the rides necessarily either. I won't wait for than 30 minutes for a ride generally. If the rides are that busy I just move on to the next one. I got for the atmosphere.

Fun Friday QOTD: Yesterday was the start of what some would say is the biggest sporting event in the world! Do you plan on watching any of the World Cup and what team are you pulling for?

I watch soccer year round. England, Italy, and Spain mostly but some of the French league as well and try to get to the closest MLS city a few times a year. I would watch every second of the World Cup if I could but have to DVR and watch on fast forward for most of the games. My two normal home teams are both not in it, USA and Italy, so I'm rooting for a rematch of the finals from the Euros, France v. Portugal. I would love to see CR7 lift the cup but in my bracket I have France beating Germany in the final.

I have always included strength training in my fitness routine but didn't change it up much when I started running. I don't go really heavy but aim for 8 to 12 reps of whatever I'm doing. If you are just starting I would do a consultation with a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) to assess your current fitness and weaknesses and get a set of exercises from them to concentrate on any imbalance you have. Personally I think the in-gym trainers are not all that great and you can do just as good going with a Google search unless you need the added motivation but starting with an actual doctor is a good way to go.

QOTD: Do you prefer running alone or with a group? A group could just be one person or many.

ATTQOTD: I prefer running with a group. Something about having others with me helps the miles pass a little quicker and I feel more accountable on keeping pace and not slacking.

ATTQOTD: I pretty much run by myself all the time. More of a scheduling thing than anything else. I have found it really hard to find someone that runs the same pace as me with the few people I know that like to run. I have either felt like I was slowing someone down (aka running with my husband in college) or making them run too fast (running with my dad). My best friend used to run and our paces were pretty similar but she doesn’t run anymore so it’s solo for me. I’ve looked into group runs through running clubs but the times have never worked well.

ATTQOTD: While not opposed in principle to running with a group, similar to baxter24, scheduling makes it nearly impossible. The odds of me finding a neighbor who runs at a pace I can sustain at 5:30am seems low. I know no one locally who runs (and it seems to be a town full of runners), and the local groups seem to run at 6:30 in the evening when the 'hurry & pick up the kids, make dinner, eat dinner, bathe kids, and pretend they have your full attention for an hour before bed' race is in full swing. I did run with a friend all of once, and she lives 5 states away so while it was nice it is not something we can pull off more than once a year.

QOTD: Do you prefer running alone or with a group? A group could just be one person or many.

Alone. Always alone. As an @DopeyBadger plan adherent, I have specific pacing targets that I am trying to hit during each run. I don't want to slow the group down on an easy day or feel like I am running away from it on a faster day and I don't even want to try to convince others to run a mile warm up at very slow pace before busting out a tempo run! I'm also not a very social person, in general, this board notwithstanding. I've gone out and run with the local running group a time or two to see what it was like and it's just not for me.

ATTQOTD: Always alone. I live in a rural area and there just aren't any other runners. Even if there were, I doubt I'd run with them. I just prefer to run alone.

I don't mind chatting with another runner during a half or full for a mile or two (if I can find someone not wearing listening to music or chatting on their phone.)

ATTQOTD: Usually I'm alone and usually I like it that way. I listen to music or just zone out and run. I do have one trail I love to run that I prefer to run with a friend because it is pretty desolate in that area. I did have a running buddy today, my 7 year old got dragged with me this morning because I had no one to watch her. I was able to get an easy 2 miles out of her which is more than I thought she'd do with me.

ATTQOTD: I always run alone, but by listening to podcasts, I often feel like I'm part of someone else's discussion :) It'd sometimes be nice to run with someone else, but I think finding a running partner that matches your training pace and plan would almost be harder than finding a spouse!
I do enjoy the occasional chit chat at races, especially before the race starts and I'm nervous. I've had really memorable, nice conversations pre-race at my last 2 races and have been super thankful for that.

ATTQOTD: I run alone. I don't want to slow anyone down. My gym has a run club and the coordinator keeps asking me to join them but I'm a bit intimidated by them so I have been going to the gym later when I know they have already gone on their run. :o

ATTQOTD: I run alone 97% of the time. Simply due to where I live, my training plan and work schedule. I would like to run with other people because I think it would help the miles go by, it just does not work out normally.

Alone!! Being able to do the work by myself at my own pace is a huge part of what drew me to running in the first place. The times when I've hated exercise (any exercise) the most is when I've felt like I was being pushed past my current abilities to try to keep up with someone more fit than me, and since I've never been athletic that's happened just about every time I do anything more strenuous than walking with another person or with a group. It sucks all the fun out of it. And I remember running a 5K with a friend who'd been a cross country runner in high school--she didn't leave me behind but I ended up wishing she had since there was a lot of "okay, we're going to run the last half mile!" when we were a mile out from the end and I already felt like I was going to keel over dead at any moment. Come to think of it, I still haven't told her that I've taken up running again...I'm a little afraid she'll ask me to run with her!

I really love road races, though, because I love being part of a huge crowd of people who all came outside to run together. There's something I find beautiful about that...as long as I don't have to keep pace with anyone in particular. I'll chat with people if there's someone who seems open to chatting when we happen to be near one another, but I don't set myself up to run the whole thing with anyone in particular, and I like it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter