The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: If my husband and I can schedule time together, then I do enjoy running with him; but that normally only happens when he's not training for something major. I like to do long runs alone so I can get lost in my thoughts, or just think of nothing at all. The idea of a group run club seems terrifying; alothough I know I'm a mid-packer, I would still feel like I'm slowing someone down.

ATTQOTD: I'm fine either way. I have a few days a week that I need/want to run specific pace. On those days I'm always solo. On my easier days, I'm fine to run in a group. I typically have at least 1 group run per week. I'll just gravitate to the folks who are running the ez pace I'm looking for. Funny thing is I avoided group runs a few years ago because I was afraid I would be expected to chat and wouldn't have the lungs to handle that while trying to run. Now I'm considered the runner that doesn't shut up on the group runs...
:mic::mic::mic::mic::mic::mic:

ATTQOTD: Funny, I saw a couple running on my way to work and thought "please be my running friends!" I usually always run alone because it would be hard to find someone who wants to do my exact training plan with me, haha. But I like when I am able to do a run with friends. I think it helps the miles tick away and when you can experience the joy of running with someone else, it just makes it more special to me.

ATTQOTD: I prefer running with a group as much as possible. Since my local running store was bought by a Fleet Feet franchise, the running groups switched to pace groups. At the beginning of the training session, everyone runs 3-4 miles at a normal training type pace and then everyone is placed into groups with similarly paced people (you can switch groups as needed). This happened the first time I trained for a marathon. Running with people has made long training miles go by so much faster! Even though I may not be the ‘talker’, there is usually someone that can carry a conversation for hours. :) I have met so many running friends through these running programs. Since switching to @DopeyBadger plans, I don’t run quite as many runs with them, but still manage to get 2-3 a week with others. It’s hard to make some of my runs match up with theirs, but I do what I can.

ATTQOTD: I'm really new to running and doing Couch to 5K with my sister, so at the moment, I guess I am a group runner but I love the idea of just putting some music on and just running somewhere, where I don't know but it always sounds lovely :)

I’m connected with a running group in town and love the community.

But, I prefer running alone - I like time for a podcast and to be with my own thoughts and pace.

A good group run every once in a while, or when we all go do a race, is fun though.

Phew! Finally catching up on this thread... I have a son playing little league and travel baseball and it's been nuts, but so fun to watch (he pitches and we've been told his ability is way beyond his years).

@LSUlakes My time for the Diemer 5K on June 9 was 28:38. I've been slowly easing back into running and the shins are feeling good, so going to start training for my fall marathon this week.

ATTQOTD: I mostly run alone, but will sometimes meet a friend for long runs.

I have a lot to catch up too...really looking forward to reading that college program Q&A. Was this close to auditioning for dancer during college but chickened out. Regret it, maybe they'll take a non-limber 37 yr old to be like a hyena or vulture in a parade?

Attqotd: both!!! I enjoy my zone out alone time and like being able to just do my plan exactly how it's written. But I do find it's nice to run with my husband when we get the chance. For the conversation and to keep each other going. I did run my best when "keeping up" with da coach last year so there's something to be said about using a group to "stay with" and not let up. I've also used a pace group to hold myself back a little at the start too. I'd like to do a Disney race non solo sometime. But racing alone also gives you so much freedom (and space!) So my answer is "all of the above"

But there are no run groups near me for working moms who run at weirdo hours. Or for weirdo moms :)

ATTQOTD: My running partners are the reason I run! I work at home in a one-woman business, and I crave conversation. So much of my outside the house life is based around my boys, and while that community is great, it’s not like hanging out with friends. The hour or so on my runs with one or more of my running partners reminds me of my teen years when I would spend hours on the phone chatting with girlfriends. And now that we’ve started doing races and runcations together is even more motivation to run.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I didn't want you to get ignored!

I looked at the plan but wasn't willing to shell out money for it without at least seeing a sample plan.

Since I'm a real phase of "farming local" when it comes to coaching and training these days, I asked my friend who coaches the state champion cross country team in my area what strength and lifting plan his girls use and this is what he shared with me that I've been "roughly" following:

View attachment 330414

I haven't had to shell out for any extra equipment because my gym has everything. I usually do this workout the two days I swim. I'm definitely enjoying it more than going into the gym and just forcing myself to do 45-60 minutes of circuit training.

I AM interested to see how/if it helps my golf game next week ...

Actually, I appreciate the honesty. I am hesitant for the same reason, which is why I was reaching out to see if anyone else had tried it. It's a good chunk of change for a sight-unseen buy, which makes me wonder exactly why it has to be so mysterious. (Although I think that's partly Fitzgerald's personality.)

I did, however, find a lot of what the pre-sell materials were talking about regarding the types of exercises that runners should be doing made sense. (I'm not sure that sentence made sense, but hey.) The plan you showed in your post looks pretty good in that sense. Would you mind if I PMed you to ask about some of the exercise names that I don't recognize (or can't read the font)?

Whew, just finally caught up. Missed some days since last week being off taking care of my mom who had cataract surgery.

ATTQOTD: I'm always alone. Even DH hasn't been riding his bike when I am able to run outside as we usually bring Posey (our beagle) so she can get out of the house. He drives, leap frogging me and walks her in between. :) I do love running with other people though - it makes the time go by much faster!

Actually, I appreciate the honesty. I am hesitant for the same reason, which is why I was reaching out to see if anyone else had tried it. It's a good chunk of change for a sight-unseen buy, which makes me wonder exactly why it has to be so mysterious. (Although I think that's partly Fitzgerald's personality.)

I did, however, find a lot of what the pre-sell materials were talking about regarding the types of exercises that runners should be doing made sense. (I'm not sure that sentence made sense, but hey.) The plan you showed in your post looks pretty good in that sense. Would you mind if I PMed you to ask about some of the exercise names that I don't recognize (or can't read the font)?

Sure thing!

ATTQOTD: As a slower runner, I prefer to run alone. That way I'm worried about my pace and not somebody else's. During Dark Side, I ran with a pace group for a few minutes to see what it was like running with a pace group as a test of sorts for a possible marathon attempt next January. I liked it just fine, but split off from the group for some photos.

I do like having someone to talk with in the corrals though.

QOTD: Do you prefer running alone or with a group? A group could just be one person or many.

I really like both. I tend to run more alone just because of timing (early in the morning) or pacing (tempo or speed workouts), but I really enjoy running with our local running group. Also, although a small group, I have started running more with my daughter which is awesome.

I don’t mind either. I tend to run alone most of the time but will run with hubby sometimes especially when it is dark

QOTD: Do you prefer running alone or with a group? A group could just be one person or many.
ATTQOTD: It has been pretty much 100% alone for me. So that is what I am used to. I wouldn't mind trying a group if one existed that had the same schedule, pace, distance as me. But considering, I don't follow a set schedule, pace or distance and kinda run when I can, I am thinking the chances of finding a group will be next to impossible. I also feel like while it would be nice to try, I am pretty sure I would prefer to run by myself.

ATTQOTD: I mostly run alone, but I prefer to run in a group. My personal experience has been, and the research supports, that having the distraction of the company of other runners makes the miles easier. I have a regular Saturday morning group and we jokingly claim to be solving the world's problems on our runs (although clearly we could do better on that part of it!). In races, I start chatting with random strangers all the time, just to take my mind off the effort.

ATTQOTD: I mostly run alone because I love just rolling out of bed and starting my run from my house whenever I'm ready to go. Having to get in my car and get to a group run starting point by a set time is not particularly appealing to me. I would like to try it more often. I don't know if it's all that similar, but I enjoy running with the pace groups in the few races I've done that have them at the rough pace I want to run. There is comfort in being part of a pack, especially when you're pushing yourself...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter