The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: I'm going to try to make this question easy to understand, but I think I am setting up for a FAIL here. Let's say you are traveling for a race and its a distance in which you could either fly or drive to. Which do you prefer? What if any changes would driving v/s flying have on your pre race plans? Post race plans?

ATTQOTD: I would prefer to drive more times than not because I am more comfortable doing so. However I have flown before and the main difference is I wear compression socks during my flight and when I drive I do not.

I prefer driving when I can because I am able to pack more of my "stuff" from home. But if it is a long ride I will fly. For example, when I do a Disney race I generally go for a 4-5 day weekend. Driving 24 hours each way would cut into my trip so I fly. But if I were to do a race in Virginia Beach, for example, I would drive to that because I can make it there in 8 hours if I time the traffic right.

After following the thread for some time, I have retained some information and cannot find what I am looking for by the search function. Can anyone share their knowledge?

1. Strava- the times do not agree with my Garmin output. The garmin is consistently slower. As this is more disparate when I am in certain places on the map, I am guessing Strava considers something closer to Garmin's 'moving time.' Can anyone comment as to if this is reasonable? I do not pause for street crossings or water fountain stops as I consider them all a part of the run {an option to rest, or water that I would stop for in a race anyhow}, but I do not know that this is really a good or a bad thing.
2. Previous posts suggested fueling for runs over 1.5 hours, so I gave it a go this weekend. I realized I have no idea when or how much to use. I went for a clif bloc square at about 45 minutes because I knew I would have a drinking fountain available and another at about 1:20, also because I was passing a fountain. How early/often/much do you aim for? Does it make a difference that I go out in the AM before breakfast? Should I expect to see a difference in performance, recovery, or nothing at this time because I am not going long/far enough yet? I'm going to try something else next time because while my stomach was fine, I feel like it is still coating my teeth.
3. Somewhere after 90 minutes, I got what I can only describe as 'fuzzy buns,' which is likely not a realistic description. It was not painful, but almost like when your foot falls asleep because it was in an uncomfortable position. I found it bizarre and was concerned so I decided to turn around and head toward home so I am not sure if it would have persisted. Is this normal (ish?) and something to run through? It was fine by the time I got home.

Happens to me all the time. I have found that I will stop and shake my leg out for a minute and it goes away. I'm sure I look like an idiot but oh well.

Does anyone else ever wonder what they look like to others while running. Some days I feel like I must look like I am running in place. Other days I feel like I look as fast as Meb. (Odd since I'm not even as fast as Meb on my bike)

I've got enough terrible race photos to know exactly what I look like to others when I'm running. Hey @LSUlakes, maybe this could be a good Fun Friday question some week - post your best and your worst race photo. Only one of each per person. :)

View attachment 353877
Does anyone else ever wonder what they look like to others while running. Some days I feel like I must look like I am running in place. Other days I feel like I look as fast as Meb. (Odd since I'm not even as fast as Meb on my bike)
Race pictures show that I can look like either of these, not all photographers are equal and not all of them catch the runners at the right moment and with a good angle. What I see on the face of the other runners when I struggle, sigh out loud or start telling myself « You can do it » is encouragement and understanding of what I am internally going through. I try to have the same compassionate look for others but also for myself.

Everybody I had a general question about a running sneaker a wonder if anybody could help me. Has anybody ever run with running flats? I have never and was wondering if they're worth buying and getting in do they feel like they help you run in a marathon or half-marathon much faster because there are a little bit lightweight. Do they help on the Cavs or needs take less pressure off and them since they're like way as well? Thanks in advance.

I have flats for racing and I wouldn't use them for any race longer than a half marathon. They are great for speedwork and racing but my feet do start to hurt after running for a few hours in them. I can get through the half fine but my marathon times are just at the tail end of what would be my limit in them and to me the potential advantage isn't worth the discomfort over that distance. I wouldn't suggest flats for the marathon unless your times are under 3:30 and even then it comes down to your own running efficiency. Your form will break down around the three-hour point, everyone's does, and that is when you might start to regret your shoe choice.

I have flats for racing and I wouldn't use them for any race longer than a half marathon. They are great for speedwork and racing but my feet do start to hurt after running for a few hours in them. I can get through the half fine but my marathon times are just at the tail end of what would be my limit in them and to me the potential advantage isn't worth the discomfort over that distance. I wouldn't suggest flats for the marathon unless your times are under 3:30 and even then it comes down to your own running efficiency. Your form will break down around the three-hour point, everyone's does, and that is when you might start to regret your shoe choice.

Agree with this 100%. I use my racing flats for anything up to and including a half. I'm not sure how much difference they make or how much time they save, but they feel fun.

Race pictures show that I can look like either of these, not all photographers are equal and not all of them catch the runners at the right moment and with a good angle. What I see on the face of the other runners when I struggle, sigh out loud or start telling myself « You can do it » is encouragement and understanding of what I am internally going through. I try to have the same compassionate look for others but also for myself.
They always seem to catch me at the most unflattering part of my stride, when my front leg hits the ground and everything looks all jiggly and collapsing :)

Happens to me all the time. I have found that I will stop and shake my leg out for a minute and it goes away. I'm sure I look like an idiot but oh well.

Thanks, it did go away but I was concerned as it has happened twice at about the same time/distance, so I wondered if I am not doing something well or it is just some sort of normal body rebellion.
I figure I look like an idiot often when running, which is part of why I prefer to start and finish running a few blocks away from home where people may not know me!

I've got enough terrible race photos to know exactly what I look like to others when I'm running. Hey @LSUlakes, maybe this could be a good Fun Friday question some week - post your best and your worst race photo. Only one of each per person. :)
I have not saved most race photos but after yesterday's Angry Donald Medal came out, I realize when I run I look more like a famous animated character than I am happy about.

QOTD: For those running one of the race for Marathon Weekend at WDW, how is training going so far? Have you started, going good / bad, wait... am I supposed to train?

ATTQOTD: I am a bit behind, actually a lot behind on my training. I'm starting to think training for a marathon with two young children may be a bad idea. I must get it together and get some very uncomfortable miles in to have a chance here.

Everybody I had a general question about a running sneaker a wonder if anybody could help me. Has anybody ever run with running flats? I have never and was wondering if they're worth buying and getting in do they feel like they help you run in a marathon or half-marathon much faster because there are a little bit lightweight. Do they help on the Cavs or needs take less pressure off and them since they're like way as well? Thanks in advance.
I'll third this...
... and say that, generally speaking, I like to feel a fair amount of ground contact when I run, so unintentionally wound up buying a number of shoes that would qualify as "racing flats" over the years. But I'm also old, slow, and have some chronic issues that play nicer when I wear shoes with more support and cushion, so I've learned to accept them for anything over a 10K. I love doing speedwork in flats, but no way would I wear them for a half or full.

QOTD: For those running one of the race for Marathon Weekend at WDW, how is training going so far? Have you started, going good / bad, wait... am I supposed to train?
ATTQOTD: I'm doing all but the half in January. Training so far is hot and slow, but getting done. Long run this weekend will be 13 and I'm going to try real hard to get going early enough to get a fair chunk done before sunrise.

ATTQOTD:
So far, so good! I am doing the Higdon Novice 1 plan, so I am starting week 3 today. It is very scary to look ahead to the big mileage weeks, so I am just trying to stay in the week I'm in and maybe look ahead to the next week.

I have been so busy doing other things, the thought of traveling to WDW seems a little lost at the moment. I am ready to get things rolling and get my park plannin' on!!

I am in for my first half.
I wrote a note to myself on Saturday and put it in my running tote bag. "I will make it to the start. I will cross that line. I will go until I cross another line. I could do it today if I had to, so even if I just maintain I will meet the target. I can do more than maintain!"

Life is kicking my but more than running, and I have a fair amount of travel coming up that makes it challenging for me to see how to adopt a consistent running plan. I could use more more structure to my runs than I currently have, but I think I am doing ok so far. My race goal is to finish and to be able to keep up with DH at the park afterwards (I anticipate this will be DATW as the kids are not coming, and we are both trained for it). 10.5 miles is where I think I need to be distance wise before the race to feel good about finishing the running portion of the day. I have worked up to a bit over 8 miles so I think I am in a reasonable spot. Other than the funny feeling toward the end Saturday I felt good through the whole thing and at about mile 7.5 I thought if "I did not have tailgaters coming over and kids to wrangle for the next 8 hours I would be fine for 10 miles!" Mentally this was a big thing for me, "I can make it to 10." I have never thought that before. I will likely doubt my ability to run 10 (or repeat the 8) sooner than is logical. The next two weekends are light due to other commitments (like practicing the DATW portion!), so I am hoping the thunderstorms in the weather forecast are incorrect and I can get in some weekday, lunch hour runs.

Last edited:

I'm just about to start tapering for Chicago, then it'll be a matter of bridging that fitness through another couple of fall races into Marathon Weekend. From a completion standpoint, this has been my best marathon training cycle to date. I've completed all but half of one scheduled run on the plan. The half run that I missed was due to a thunderstorm that popped up mid-run. From a pacing standpoint, though, it's been a hot mess, literally. The heat and humidity have affected me much more this summer than in summers past and I've struggled to hit my pacing goals, even adjusted for T+D. I think the length of the runs plays heavily into it, but what I've found subjectively this summer is that above a T+D of 145-150 I have a hard time hitting paces, temp-adjusted or not. Once I get below 145 I can usually hit the temp-adjusted paces and sometimes exceed them a bit. Maybe it's age creeping up on me or just that I'm trying to do marathon training volume under the conditions, but I'm very interested to see how these struggles translate into a (hopefully) cooler and less humid Chicago.

ATTQOTD: I am currently training for the Kiawah Island Marathon on December 8th, so I'll just use the fitness I hopefully gain from there to run the WDW marathon a month later. Disney will be about a PR in picture stops rather than a time PR anyway. Training for Kiawah is going good, if it would ever cool down! I'm using a @DopeyBadger plan and haven't missed a run yet :banana:

I think @CheapRunnerMike, @FFigawi, and @PrincessV covered this question pretty well, but I would add that it may also depend on your weight and running style. I am a heavier runner (190 lbs) with a pretty efficient gait (so, not a heavy foot-striker), but I find flats only work up to a 10k for me. Any more than that, and my feet start to hurt.

ATTQOTD: My marathon plan began yesterday! A solid 3 miles in a T&D of 165. It had just stormed, so it was a little steamy but felt good until the sun came back out. I have another 3 this afternoon, and I'm hoping it doesn't storm again. I'll have 4 either on Thursday or Friday (planning for Thursday lunch as that's the only time I can, but 90% chance of storms so I might push to Friday) and then 8 miles Saturday morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!