The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I’ve been on my training plan for my 10/6 half. I’ve had quite a few weeks with 40+ miles so I consider that a taste of Dopey training. Things were okay until I got what I thought was a never ending cold a couple weeks ago that turned out to be pneumonia. I was put on Prednisone, antibiotics and an inhaler yesterday. I thought I was just burned out from a really long training plan, dealing with FL weather and allergies. Nope. It was just my dumb self trying to push through the runs with pneumonia.

ATTQOTD: I just finished week 12 of my training plan. Most of the hard work behind me. I've completed every mileage workout and most of the pacing workouts but the majority of them have been on a treadmill. The weather this Summer has been either rainy, hot, or BOTH. 2 Marathons scheduled for October (less than 2 and 4 weeks from now).

I'm not signed up for WDW but would love to figure out a way to do it again.
If not, I will try to maintain fitness but improve strength and pacing for the Myrtle Beach Marathon in March.

Everybody I had a general question about a running sneaker a wonder if anybody could help me. Has anybody ever run with running flats? I have never and was wondering if they're worth buying and getting in do they feel like they help you run in a marathon or half-marathon much faster because there are a little bit lightweight. Do they help on the Cavs or needs take less pressure off and them since they're like way as well? Thanks in advance.

I don't technically have flats as in 0" drop but my race shoes have only a 5mm drop and are very light. I only wear them in races up to a 10K or track work. On the track or for those shorter races I try to consciously land light and push through in a way I wouldn't for a longer race. I do know people that wear flats for marathons but they progressed up to that. I would suggest getting them and trying them out on shorter runs and see how you feel.

QOTD: For those running one of the race for Marathon Weekend at WDW, how is training going so far? Have you started, going good / bad, wait... am I supposed to train?

No marathon weekend for me and I'm in 10K training mode for W&D weekend since a fast 10K is my priority. I'll do my best in the half but I'm not holding back to save anything for the second day. That training is going well with a 6 day a week plan but I was not able to keep my goal pace for a cool 5K this weekend so time will tell.

I have work travel coming up including Sunday through Thursday morning in Orlando and plan to complete every run including my track session at Celebration H.S. Let's see if that plan becomes a reality.

ATTQOTD: I’ve been on my training plan for my 10/6 half. I’ve had quite a few weeks with 40+ miles so I consider that a taste of Dopey training. Things were okay until I got what I thought was a never ending cold a couple weeks ago that turned out to be pneumonia. I was put on Prednisone, antibiotics and an inhaler yesterday. I thought I was just burned out from a really long training plan, dealing with FL weather and allergies. Nope. It was just my dumb self trying to push through the runs with pneumonia.
Yikes! Get well soon!

QOTD: For those running one of the race for Marathon Weekend at WDW, how is training going so far? Have you started, going good / bad, wait... am I supposed to train?

I registered this morning for the WDW half.

August was a complete wash given a significant work commitment and some injuries. Total run mileage was 45. Despite more work commitments and a hurricane evacuation I am back on track in September. Mostly have been in triathlon training mode (international/olympic distances) but long runs have been up to 10-11.

Revised fall/winter plan:
10/6: Isle of Palms Connector 5k (20:45 - training run)
10/13: The Dam Tri/Lake Murray
11/11: Mack Cycle Miami Man Tri
11/22: Charleston Turkey Day 5k (19:59)
12/8: Kiawah Half Marathon (1:34:00)
1/12: Disney Half (NG)

A number of us from DisBoards participated in the Disneyland Paris race(s) this past weekend. While we each have our own views of the good, the okay, and the ugly, here is my race weekend recap.

Good:
*On course support by the cast of Disneyland Paris. Every area we went through had cast members out cheering. Main Street Stores cast with bubble wands? Check. Star Wars ride cast with light sabers? Check. Cast members out with Mickey hands in lots of other areas? Check. Disneyland Hotel cast out cheering? Check. The fire department mugging it up for photos and cheering? Double check.
*The course. All three courses went through a lot of both parks. In fact, we went through the Behind the Magic Tram Tour area with all of the props and through the Lights, Motors, and Action stunt show set each race.
*The medals.
*Rare characters out.
*Expo. Once you managed to get inside I thought it was decently organized with good line control. It is not an expo the way we think of them in association with WDW races: very little race specific merchandise beyond the Castle to Chateau shirt, a race weekend shirt and the various “I did it” shirts and only the sponsors had booths there were no vendors.
*Being able to walk to the start line.
*Smaller field than WDW. One of the runDisney people I was speaking with Saturday as we walked over said these races are on par with Disneyland races.
*Security. Once you passed security for the day you did not have to go through it again as long as you did not leave the secured area. That was wonderful.
*The concierge staff at the hotel for printing vouchers for me.
*The woman with the “Best Parade Ever” sign on Main Street during the half; she had placed herself about 20 paces after the woman who had the sign we all hate to see on Main Street.
*5k and 10k are both untimed.

Okay:
*The course. There were more twists, turns and curves in the courses than a belly dancing python has.
*Waiting to start. While it was nice that they had the warm up leaders tied to the theme (the trainer for the Avengers for the 5k, Pain and Panic from Hercules for the 10k and Cruella’s boy toys for the half) the people who plan the routines have to keep in mind that when we are packed like sardines in a corral we do not have space to do jumping jacks. Also, they were way too scripted and had no room to improvise, so listening to the same verbal patter for 40 minutes became very annoying very quickly.
*Finish line layout. The area was hard to navigate as it twists and turns. I found the water station and the food stations completely by accident Friday night. They needed more garbage cans.
*Challenge Medal pickup. You had to walk back to the expo tent, at the start line, to pick up your challenge medals. Since the tent was sort of on the way back to the hotels it wasn’t too bad as it worked as part of the cool down, but it was more chaos than I really wanted to deal with at that point.

Bad:
*Providing the vouchers needed for the expo. Bib and merchandise vouchers were supposed to be provided 2 weeks prior to the race per communication we received over the summer. We received merchandise vouchers Tuesday night, bib vouchers Wednesday morning and the expo started Thursday afternoon. The lines to print the vouchers on Thursday once the expo opened were hours long.
*Location of the Castle to Chateau area within the expo. If you had not read the race weekend material you were not aware that you had to double back after picking up you bib to get your bracelet.
*The course for the half marathon. Once outside of the park there were some drum and music groups up until the 11k point, and then except for 2 cheer groups between 11k and 13k there was nothing until the finish line. Additionally, the first 7k of the course was super slick due to misty rain (nothing rD can do about that), but we had 2k of cobbles in grass, grass, small gravel and very rutted trail while outside the park.
*Corralling method. There is no reason why I, a 3 hour half marathoner, should be in a corral ahead of someone who submitted a 1:40 POT. There is no reason that children were in corral A for the 5k.
*Food options outside of the park. Unless you wanted to spend E30 for a buffet at your hotel your food options were limited to what you found in the park or the restaurants in Downtown Disney.
*Strollers in the 5k and 10k. Not talking mobility ones for young children either.
*No time clocks on course.
*Being passed on the right when there was less than 12 inches of space between myself and the edge of the course by runners. Seriously? I am on the right hand side of the course!

My times were not great, but I finished. @LSUlakes:
5k time: 49.43
10k time: 1:43.20
Half time: 3:08.19. Between the slick pavement, twisting my ankle on the grassy cobble stones at the 13k point and the end of a head cold I’m happy with this.

@DopeyBadger I will get you my break down either later today or tomorrow.

All said and done, the below picture – taken from the runDisney Paris Facebook page – is a perfect example of the magic and opportunities runDisney races provide.

42327109_2331247016941498_120354969432883200_n.jpg

ATTQOTD: I am doing Goofy in January and started my modified (by me) Higdon novice 2 plan two weeks ago. So far, so good. I also completed a similar plan over the summer as a "dry run" and to build miles so I am pretty confident about the marathon. In four weeks, I will be adding an additional run on the day before my long run day which will be half the distance of that week's long run distance to help prepare for the back to back days. That is probably the piece of Goofy that is worrying me the most -- How much energy will I have for my first full marathon after running 13.1 miles the day before?

Congrats @flav !

ATTQOTD: Like @camaker I'm tapering for Chicago as of today. WOOHOO! I'll be taking a few weeks off between post-race recovery and recovery from an elective surgery I'm having at the end of October, so I'll just be doing my best to get fitness back for January so I can comfortably finish the 10K and full.

I've got enough terrible race photos to know exactly what I look like to others when I'm running. Hey @LSUlakes, maybe this could be a good Fun Friday question some week - post your best and your worst race photo. Only one of each per person. :)

Yes! This would be fun. The hard part will be choosing which horrible race photo to post.

ATTQOTD: I am doing Goofy in January and started my modified (by me) Higdon novice 2 plan two weeks ago. So far, so good. I also completed a similar plan over the summer as a "dry run" and to build miles so I am pretty confident about the marathon. In four weeks, I will be adding an additional run on the day before my long run day which will be half the distance of that week's long run distance to help prepare for the back to back days. That is probably the piece of Goofy that is worrying me the most -- How much energy will I have for my first full marathon after running 13.1 miles the day before?

Plenty if you don't race for a PR. Potentially not enough if you do. ;)

This was a concern of mine the first time I ran Goofy, but this is one race where the crowd and areas you run through can REALLY pick you up. Running 15-18 miles the day after I did 10 miles around my neighborhood is one thing, but it was a whole other situation when that long run took me through the parks, past the entertainment, with 20k other people.

Run your doubles, but I definitely think you'll get plenty of energy from the course (except miles 8-11, and maybe 14-17-ish, unless you really dig poo plants and long straight stretches in the sun, in which case you're golden. And may need professional help.)

ATTQOTD: I’m on week 5 of a DopeyBadger plan but was following Higdon before I started it. I’ve actually been following my training plan really well. I knew my Disney weekend would be a wash so I got as much in that I could that week and there was only one day that I cut a run short. I do agree with @LSUlakes that training for a marathon with two small kids is insanity and it will be tough deciding if I do it again next year. Knowing me, I’ll want to do it and I’ll be stressed out again just for the medals and the finish line feeling.

I run at OTF in what would be something close to racing flats (Altra Solstice), because I can't stand doing weights/floor/rowing work in my regular running sneakers (Altra Paradigm) and not feeling the floor and I don't have time to change my shoes really between the running and the floor work. I guess I could, but I don't want to be that person. :D They are both zero drop, but the Solstice has a lower stack height. I would not be able to do anything more than like a 5K in them, though, or my feet/legs/everything would be hurting.

Plenty if you don't race for a PR. Potentially not enough if you do. ;)
Nope. Just hoping to finish - although it will be a PR since it is my first marathon ;)

And I plan to "run" the half with my wife who will be around a 13min/mile pace and walking quite a bit. I plan to do my pre long training runs at her pace practicing the walking etc. Ideally, she would run these training runs with me as I took the distances right off her training plan. But like last year, it does not look like she is going to do any training for this race and just wing it like she did last year. I am really hoping she decides to train because it will make the half more enjoyable for her but...oh well.

Everybody I had a general question about a running sneaker a wonder if anybody could help me. Has anybody ever run with running flats? I have never and was wondering if they're worth buying and getting in do they feel like they help you run in a marathon or half-marathon much faster because there are a little bit lightweight. Do they help on the Cavs or needs take less pressure off and them since they're like way as well? Thanks in advance.

A few years ago, I bought a pair of racing flats to use in shorter races. They felt soooo comfortable that I began stepping up in distance with them. I regrettably wore them in my first marathon. No blisters and I really never thought much about my shoes during the race. But I gotta think I was significantly more beat up and sore after the race. For me, that was essentially the equivalent of running 26.2 in a ballet slipper. I'm not the lightest runner, nor the most efficient. I also don't think the lower shoe weight really helped my pace much when I hit the wall at mile 15. :rolleyes:

ATTQOTD: I am a bit behind, actually a lot behind on my training. I'm starting to think training for a marathon with two young children may be a bad idea. I must get it together and get some very uncomfortable miles in to have a chance here.
I used the Giant Race this month as a way to test out some new things for Dopey training, so while I was technically training for another race, I viewed all that training as a work up to the main event. Now with the recovery period after the half behind me, I'm formally in Dopey training although it doesn't really ramp up training wise for me until later next month since coach was kind enough to build a plan to allow for less running during a very busy next few weeks work wise.

This will also be my first marathon, but I've done other runDisney challenges before, so I'm cautiously hopeful that prior experience with taking lead up races easier will help conserve energy for the full. This year I felt great the day after all 3 Dark Side races so that tells me I did something right in preparation terms.

I love running in racing flats and I've done it successfully up to Half Marathons (I wear New Balance 1500s). I will admit that even at that distance on some days my feet feel pretty beat up. I'm trying to find a pair of shoes I can wear for longer distances that won't jack my knees up but that have some cushioning. I've gone through a number of shoes with no luck. Recently, I've been trying out some Brooks Ghosts. While the jury is still out on them, they didn't immediately make my knees fall off. IF I can't find a good shoe that doesn't make my legs hurt, then I'm going to try running a full marathon in my flats...

ATTQOTD. Not doing Disney this January, but am running the Houston Marathon at around the same time. So I'll be with y'all in spirit! I'm about to start my @DopeyBadger training plan for that next week or the week after (depending on when he tells me to start).

I love running in racing flats and I've done it successfully up to Half Marathons (I wear New Balance 1500s). I will admit that even at that distance on some days my feet feel pretty beat up. I'm trying to find a pair of shoes I can wear for longer distances that won't jack my knees up but that have some cushioning. I've gone through a number of shoes with no luck. Recently, I've been trying out some Brooks Ghosts. While the jury is still out on them, they didn't immediately make my knees fall off. IF I can't find a good shoe that doesn't make my legs hurt, then I'm going to try running a full marathon in my flats...

Have you tried the Saucony Freedom ISO shoes? Good cushioning, although not thick cushioning. They work for some runners for longer distances.

ATTQOTD: I've got Goofy & I ran 2 miles today and like 3.5 yesterday after not really anything last week to recover after my marathon. I still have a slight leg strain so I'm not sure what I'm doing or when I'll go back to a plan, maybe next week or in a few.

I am more concerned about my outfits for Goofy, ha! and that weather needs to be true fall and not winter conditions for a very long time, hopefully! I'm like terrified of freezing running conditions coming early.

Have you tried the Saucony Freedom ISO shoes? Good cushioning, although not thick cushioning. They work for some runners for longer distances.

Thanks! I will put these in the queue next if the Ghosts don't work out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter