The Running Thread - 2018

Off topic question: Do you guys run in the pouring rain for a training run? I have come to really hate the TM and the next few days we are supposed to get 2-3 inches of rain one day and 1-2 inches the next. I am wondering how horrible it would be to just run in it? It might rain during my March 4th marathon so I was thinking to just run in it and get used to it...?

ATTQOTD: Mile 2. I'm the type of person that has a big mental shift between the first and second half of shorter races, and it helps me tremendously to know I've "crested the mountain" at the halfway point of a race. So mile 1 I'm usually trying to get my pacing locked in and trying to get through crowds. But that (first half of the) second mile is a lot of self-talk, much of it not as positive as I would like.

ATTYQOTD: Typically no changes except clothing strategy. But now we have a treadmill that I actually like, so I'm finding myself having to mentally debate running outdoors (prettier, more challenging) with running on the treadmill (takes less time, can zone out in front of Fixer Upper or whatever).

Off topic question: Do you guys run in the pouring rain for a training run? I have come to really hate the TM and the next few days we are supposed to get 2-3 inches of rain one day and 1-2 inches the next. I am wondering how horrible it would be to just run in it? It might rain during my March 4th marathon so I was thinking to just run in it and get used to it...?

I do it sometimes, though I've been favoring the treadmill more as a reduction in the PITA factor. When I do run in the rain, the only big change is to wrap my phone in a plastic zip-lock as an extra waterproofing measure, and to wear a hat with a bill to keep the rain off my face.

I do it sometimes, though I've been favoring the treadmill more as a reduction in the PITA factor. When I do run in the rain, the only big change is to wrap my phone in a plastic zip-lock as an extra waterproofing measure, and to wear a hat with a bill to keep the rain off my face.

Luckily my iphone fits in a snack sized ziplock. :) And I always run in a visor - maybe I should switch it up to my hat during the rain. hmmmm

ATTQOTD: The first mile is always the worst for all the reasons already stated it's crowded, I'm not really warmed up, but mostly:
Too many people trying to start at the front that have no intention of staying at the front. I'm not speedy, but when I'm passing tons of people that just HAD to be up front it is a problem lol.

ETA: On the 5k note, @LSUlakes can you add a race to March for me please?

24 - jennamfeo - Carlsbad All Day 20k (NG/N/A)

Last edited:
(Does anyone know a way to get a good summary from Fitbit? I found where I could set my activity date range, but it was a jumble of all activities, including walks, etc. I had to manually sum all the Run activities)

Have never tried to do that, but my Fitbit and I have a love hate relationship so I track my workouts on my calendar. For me, the Fitbit works well for tracking normal walking, but despite lots of trying to synch steps/distance it does not track my workout walks at all well - it is never accurate for distance and often puts my activity as "Elliptical".

@LSUlakes, for the event schedule:

June 3 - LdyStormy76 - Pure Pikermi Half Marathon, Aurora, IL (2:55 goal time, but hopefully faster)
September 21 - LdyStormy76 - Disneyland Paris 5k (NG / N/A)
September 22 - LdyStormy76 - Disneyland Paris 10k (NG / N/A)
September 23 - LdyStormy76 - Disneyland Paris Val d'Europe Half Marathon (NG / N/A)

If that’s the forecast, I try to watch the radar for a period of time where the rain lightens up - and run then. Usually it isn’t constant torrential rain and I can find a chunk of time that’s more drizzly.

if you are committed to the marathon and a DNS is not an option if the weather turns sour, i would at least urge you to consider it. having been walloped by a rainstorm during a race and being completely unprepared, i can tell you it's not pleasant at all. because it's more than just getting used to being wet and miserable for the run. chafing issues occurred i was not at all expecting and i had a serious issue keeping my body temperature up at the end of the race. now i know more about what i have to do in preparation for a race like that.

If that’s the forecast, I try to watch the radar for a period of time where the rain lightens up - and run then. Usually it isn’t constant torrential rain and I can find a chunk of time that’s more drizzly.

I wish I could do that but I run after work and if I don't start out right when I get off I won't be done by dark. :(

As long as there is no lightning, yes. If it's not cold, I don't mind running in the rain. I look at it like this: if my race is in the pouring rain, am I going to run it? The answer is yes, so I think of it as training for all possible conditions.

That is what I was thinking. I will avoid the lightning but there is a good chance of rain on race day and I am definitely running my race!

Thanks guys!

if you are committed to the marathon and a DNS is not an option if the weather turns sour, i would at least urge you to consider it. having been walloped by a rainstorm during a race and being completely unprepared, i can tell you it's not pleasant at all. because it's more than just getting used to being wet and miserable for the run. chafing issues occurred i was not at all expecting and i had a serious issue keeping my body temperature up at the end of the race. now i know more about what i have to do in preparation for a race like that.

Yeah a DNS is not an option for me - only if they call the race due to lightning. I have run in drizzly rain but not downpours. I will give it a shot! At least then I will have ideas what to expect on raceday! Thanks! :)

For me, it also depends on the temperature and duration of the run. Running in pouring rain when it's 60s F or warmer can be fine, because it's just helping you cool off. For me, there's a boundary in the 50s to 40sF where the pouring rain makes you get soaked and way too cold. At that point, I would rather the falling rain be falling snow.

The duration of the run also folds into that. Running in pouring rain for less than an hour is totally different than say 2+ hours. For one thing, longer duration runs mean a lot more chafing if you are soaked through. I once did a half marathon (2:12-ish) in about 50 deg F and pouring rain the whole time, and I swear I was chafed over half my body despite the BodyGlide.

Also, for me, running in the rain requires a baseball cap to keep the rain from falling directly into my eyes.

I run outside whenever possible, unless there is lightning. I usually love running in the rain because it is so refreshing, but this last Sunday I chose to wait it out because I have been feeling under the weather and did not want to add to that issue. I'd just look at the radar before I went and stay somewhat close to home.

For me, it also depends on the temperature and duration of the run. Running in pouring rain when it's 60s F or warmer can be fine, because it's just helping you cool off. For me, there's a boundary in the 50s to 40sF where the pouring rain makes you get soaked and way too cold. At that point, I would rather the falling rain be falling snow.

The duration of the run also folds into that. Running in pouring rain for less than an hour is totally different than say 2+ hours. For one thing, longer duration runs mean a lot more chafing if you are soaked through. I once did a half marathon (2:12-ish) in about 50 deg F and pouring rain the whole time, and I swear I was chafed over half my body despite the BodyGlide.

Also, for me, running in the rain requires a baseball cap to keep the rain from falling directly into my eyes.

Tomorrow's rain is supposed to be 49 feels like 45. :( But it is only for 1 1/4 hours so I can probably suck it up. And wear my hat. :) Chafing is no fun so not looking forward to that.

I run outside whenever possible, unless there is lightning. I usually love running in the rain because it is so refreshing, but this last Sunday I chose to wait it out because I have been feeling under the weather and did not want to add to that issue. I'd just look at the radar before I went and stay somewhat close to home.

I definitely wouldn't run in the rain if I felt sick at all. And I run at work and will stay close to my office so I can get out of it quickly if there is any lightning. I am supposed to run at marathon pace tomorrow so hopefully my faster pace will warm me up and the rain will cool me off. :) Thanks!

ATTQOTD: Not a fan of 5ks either. I'll say mile 2 is my least favorite. During mile 1 there's enough congestion that perhaps my speed is a bit tempered. In mile 2 I've settled into a very uncomfortable pace, but there's a lot of time left so I'm hurting physically and mentally. By mile 3, at least I know I'm nearing the finish.

Luckily my iphone fits in a snack sized ziplock. :) And I always run in a visor - maybe I should switch it up to my hat during the rain. hmmmm
You'll probably be fine in the visor.... I use a visor in the rain, too. It's mainly that the bill of the hat keeps the rain out of your eyes, you get the same benefit with the visor. :)

Tomorrow's rain is supposed to be 49 feels like 45. :( But it is only for 1 1/4 hours so I can probably suck it up. And wear my hat. :) Chafing is no fun so not looking forward to that.

I definitely wouldn't run in the rain if I felt sick at all. And I run at work and will stay close to my office so I can get out of it quickly if there is any lightning. I am supposed to run at marathon pace tomorrow so hopefully my faster pace will warm me up and the rain will cool me off. :) Thanks!

Wait! 49 with a feels like 45 in Arkansas tomorrow?? 70 degrees and sunshine for us in Northeastern CT tomorrow! Go figure? Nonetheless, you'll be fine. Once you get wet and miserable you'll forget all about it! Good luck!

Ditto :)

Also, I think it was mean to bring up spring yesterday as I was getting snow.... ;) But I am looking forward to more outdoor runs and more daylight!

I wish that cold weather would return down here. I need the temps to be in the lower 50's on March 11 to have a shot of running a good race. So far its the only hope I have as my training is behind again.

ATTQOTD: Mile 1. Too many people trying to start at the front that have no intention of staying at the front. I'm not speedy, but when I'm passing tons of people that just HAD to be up front it is a problem lol.

THIS!

As long as its just rain its not a problem. Lightning is a whole different ball game. I go out of my way in the summer to run in the rain just so it isnt as hot. The end result is the same, my run is done and I am dripping wet. At least the rain doesnt stink as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter