The Running Thread - 2019

I’m volunteering at a small local 5k this weekend! I’ve volunteered for local races a couple times, medals, course Marshall, bag check and registration. As far as big races, I’ve volunteered for the cherry blossom 10 miler and the Nike Women’s half in DC back when that was on.

I am terrified of the Ambassador bridge

You'll be too busy cursing about that long hill leading up to it to be terrified. :laughing: It was a beautiful sunrise when I ran over it.

The Windsor tunnel though...now that was terrifying for me. I've learned many techniques over the years to control my fear of confined spaces and I put them to good use there - it was my fastest mile for sure.

It's a great race and even though I loathe the tunnel, I would still do it again. You definitely should do it next year!

ATTQOTD: I've never volunteered at a race, but it's on my list of things I'd like to do. I am a parent volunteer for my daughter's Girls on the Run team (5th grade). They've been practicing twice a week and then in mid-May they run a 5K with all of the other teams from all over the county.

I've volunteered at local races at various times since as a teen. Recently though I volunteered at the Disney 5k in January handing out water. It was neat to learn how Disney handles water stops and the efficiency of it, not like our local ones for sure. It was freezing, but I'm really glad I did it. I would never do it if I was running the next day as I was exhausted as we had to be there even earlier than for the races & setting up/handing out/clean up your on your feet a long time. I would do it a again though or a different job as it was fun being on the volunteer side for a change despite freezing.

The Chisholm Trail Marathon Recap

This was its inaugural race. Pretty simple course, two loops with a total of 12 turns. One ‘big’ hill and then several rolling hills. It felt pretty hilly to me, but this is where I live and train, and I can find much flatter areas to run here; however if you are from anywhere but Kansas, it would probably feel prettty flat. The race organizers developed this course to be flat and fast and to be a good opportunity for BQing/PRing.

It was a pretty small race. I think about 800-1000 runners combined between the half and full with about 200 of those running the full. It definitely thinned out for the full. I knew several people out and about spectating, so that helped. There was no course entertainment, so no bands to help provide a jolt of energy when I needed it.

I started out about 30 seconds below goal pace until I got over the first hill. Then I picked up the pace. I think I ran a little to fast in some of the early middle miles. By the start of the second loop I was starting to get a little tired, but was still pretty good. I kept reminding myself for the next several miles that this is what I had trained for - this is what my long runs were simulating, the last miles of the marathon (Thanks @DopeyBadger). It started to get tough even before the last turn around - with 7 miles to go. But I kept pushing. Slowed down going up hills and I tried to pick it up on the way down. Somewhere in the last 3-5 it got pretty hard, but I kept going. I knew if I kept my miles under 10 I would still set a PR (still kept them under 9:30). The last two miles there was one unofficial water stop and a normal water stop and I took the opportunity to walk through both (I normally walk for short bits through official water stations). And then I took another short walk break with about 0.5-0.6 left. I was tired, after that I told myself just to finish so I could be done! I didn’t quite make my goal of under 4, but I still set a 10 minute PR. Yay! I’ll take it.

@LSUlakes My time was 4:01:34.

I late signed up for a race. I did not PR the distance, I did learn some things which include (1) check the race website as my memory of time cut offs and courses is faulty (2) do not blindly follow a pacer with a sign who may or may not be planning on running even splits (3) I am stronger than I thought and even on the hilly course and I know why I did not PR and know I could have. I spent some time thinking of advice from this board, the most frequent one had to do with switching gears like a bike, and I cannot remember who this came from but it was very useful so thank you all for so many pieces of wisdom.

They did have the 26.2 brew at the end and I would rate it as better than your average lawnmower beer. I thought it was a bit like a bud light with a splash of gose. While I would never pick this (free or not), it was totally fine for 9am.

Am I crazy? I’m no stranger to half’s but debating if this is more than I can chew- on May 11th I found a half marathon near where I’m visiting- sounds awesome BUT a hard 3 hr time limit (14:00 average)
I haven’t run sub 3 in 3 years-

but I ran 10 miles last Sunday wth a 14:14 average that included 2 slower miles (15/16 min miles) due to soft wet sand (as it down poured the 3 miles before) and was still managing intervals albeit sad ones at the end and I wasn’t exhausted

Race is a solid downhill out of a canyon so I’m confident I’d gain some time vs flat (but I’m also a Florida running girl so the altitude will hurt a bit running Utah-I’ve ran similar Utah runs previously)

I figure if I stick to My 5k ‘none to run’ training until then to gain endurance & speed and make sure to stay long run prepped I have a shot right?

I am terrified of most bridges. I walked Mackinaw once and hugged land when I got off. I don't care for the tunnel, either. Both weird me out in a vehicle so I am not sure how I would do on foot.

SAME!! In the Magnolia Marathon we had to cross a huge dam and I ran all the way across, skipping all my walk intervals!

I ran the Papa Johns 10 miler (3rd in a 3 race series here in Louisville) on Saturday. Maybe in the future it will be renamed the Shaqa Johns 10 miler since he's the new and better face of the brand. :) Two years ago I paced my wife through it in a run/walk fashion. Last year I used it as a training run. I've run it every year since 2013, but my previous best times were all about the same (1:21-1:22). This year I knew I was quite a bit stronger than I was the last time I actually raced it (2016). When I put my goal down on the calendar here months ago, I just wanted to be 1:20:xx. Winter training and recent races had actually gone better so I actually had a stretch goal of being 1:17:xx. The race went extremely well and I actually ran pretty smart. It's essentially 3 miles flattish + 3 miles hilly in a park + 3 miles flattish + 1 mile that starts with a train overpass (coming right at the end of a race when you don't really want to see something like that) and the finish in the football stadium. The main thing is to not burn it all on the 3 hilly miles that are in a park. Midway through the race, I thought I could get my stretch goal if I didn't do anything silly. After I got out of the park I realized I could get even lower if I kept pushing in a controlled fashion. I ended up with a pretty significant improvement on my PR of over 6 minutes! I have a half marathon in 5 weeks and I'm interested to see how I do on it. Saturday's race was a nice confidence boost.

@LSUlakes My time was 1:14:56

I'm behind...what is new?! LOL.

ATTQOTD (Thursday): I have never spectated a running event, but I do have big plans to attend the Olympic trials for the Marathon next February in Atlanta. It is only about an 1.5 hour drive and I am excited to see some speedy people!

Bonus: I have never really card about March Madness, but I am super competitive and in a bracket contest with 19 guys at work so I have been watching and keeping track. I started out strong going 16-0 on Thursday but it has gone downhill since. I am still in the lead by one point, but my final four looks a lot different than everyone else's so we will see what happens! The most frustrating part is the game that has messed my score up the most was Auburn-Kansas. I picked Kansas, and I am an Auburn fan. :sad2: They disappoint me when I pick them and when I don't pick them, but I am super excited they've made it to the Sweet 16!

ATTQOTD (Friday): I have never volunteered, but I have thought about it.

QOTD: A simple question I have been thinking about lately, what distance do you consider a short run, medium run, or long run? There is no wrong answer for this question, it's purely based on your experience of running. (Thanks for the suggestion again folks!)

ATTQOTD: Short run = 1 - 7 miles
Medium run = 7-13 miles
Long run = 13+ miles

ATTQOTD: short: 4-5, medium: 6-8, long: 9-10+

@TheHamm - sorry your race didn't go the way you wanted. I was just reading an article about not using pacers and it was the same thing you mentioned - they may start out too fast, which is fine for them since their PR is much faster than their pace, but disaster if you're trying to get to your PR. I was thinking about using a pacer for my next race, but reconsidering now. If I see them at the expo or starting line, I'll probably ask them their strategy and which aid stations they'll stop at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter