The Running Thread - 2020

LSUlakes

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the 2020 edition of the running thread! Going strong in it's 5th year!

"Seriously, nobody here cares how fast or far you run. We all just love running and, of course, Disney" @ZellyB

The idea behind this thread is to discuss anything related to running. I welcome all levels of runners to participate, from someone who is just looking into getting into running/walking, to elite runners. All distances are also open to discussion. I believe we all have a lot to learn from one another as well as motivate each other along the way. Each day I will (try to) post a Question Of The Day (QOTD) to help keep the conversation going. I also support those who would like to post what there workout is each day, or weekly. It can be running, swimming, bike, weights, or whatever it is you do to exercise.

The Race List is currently under construction in the form a google doc that we can all access. The great members of the previous threads are working on a solution to this problem now and I will update ASAP. The purpose of the google doc is for each of us to update our own races and results. It unfortunately was becoming a bigger task than I was able to keep up with as my situation has changed.

2019 Thread
2018 Thread
2017 Thread
The Running Thread - Original

Race report: Brazen New Year's Day 5k.

I promised commentary on why the 10k and half marathon courses here are evil when I posted the NYE race report. Can't break a promise.

So: Brazen does what they call their "Ultra Half" series, half marathons with extreme elevation changes. The NYD race is part of that series.

What this means: the half marathon has over 2000' of elevation change. The 10k has about 650'. The 5k has 165'. Note that the 5k and 10k are out-and-back over the same course, so the 10k has almost 500' of elevation change in 2.5km...

My daughter ran the half marathon two years ago, and I ran the 10k, because we didn't know what we were getting into. My daughter was the last finisher at just under 4 hours; I finished in just under 2 and counted myself lucky.

We couldn't do the race last year because we were flying to Orlando the next day, but this year we decided to try it - everybody doing the 5k. Older son went along for his second (and probably last) 5k, but younger son decided to sleep in.

I was still kinda wiped and undertrained, and decided to just walk it with older son. Wife and daughter went off to run it together.

It's a beautiful race, out around Lake Chabot. I might see about coming out here at some point just to go for a hike.

Part of why I decided to walk it was to see what my walking pace is when I'm trying to walk quickly over long distances. Answer: just about 20m/mile. Final time was 1:04:54, I think - the sensor didn't pick up my bib on start, apparently. However, I started and finished with my son, and that's his time. The 5k course is a bit long (3.25mi or so) due to limitation on where they can put the turnaround, and the results give his pace at 20:02.

I'm off at Disneyland next week, but after that, it's time to work on training for Princess.

Runners who do both the NYE and NYD races get a 'middle medal' that links the other two.

I got to the gym today at 1:59, only to find out it was closing at 2. So I braved the cold and decided to run outside. It's my first outside run in a few weeks, and it went really well (probably because it was only 2.25 miles:smooth:). I was excited because it was the first time I've gotten to really use my Garmin Forerunner 235. I realized I have no idea how to really use it, so now I'm spending tonight looking for YouTube tutorials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter