The Scooter Strikes Back-A F&W 2017 TR- Bonus Features, Link to new TR 3/22

So not your first kick at the cat.
(No offense to cats.)

:laughing: I can't imagine why not! Betting you needed a cat nap!
(No offense to cats.)

I was trying to keep your secret. Cat's out of the bag now!
(No offense to cats.)

:laughing: Thanks for clarifying. Was curious. Curiosity killed the cat though.
(No offense to cats.)

Not acceptable. At all. Not even close. Bet you guys fought like cats and dogs.
(No offense to cats.)

He wins. Definitely not the cat's meow.
(No offense to cats.)

What's with all the cat comments? :confused3

Odd thing. Ruby and I never share. And I'm not against it. I'd gladly share with you if you'd like. Heck... I have shared with you! On at least 4 occasions that I can recall off the top of my head.

This is true. Fran and I always work it out, just the other day we were out for breakfast. I wanted pancakes and bacon, and she usually gets the bacon an eggs breakfast, but as we were ordering, she said, "Get the large stack, if you'll share your pancakes with me."

Then she ordered hers and I said, "will you share your hashbrowns with me?" Best of both worlds. :goodvibes

But.... anyone reaches for my French onion soup is going to be sadly disappointed.

See I'd rather eat part of that so that I can have more of whatever is to come later, which is usually Steak or Mac n Cheese whenever French onion soup is a starter.

Well, you did have your backs to it, so understandable.

And I was paying attention to the conductors.

Well, it's because you're closer. Long beach elevation is 52 feet and Kansas City is 908. So that explains it.

:rolleyes1

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

I think it also has to do with the Marine layer. It doesn't get sunny here until around 2PM.

I actually saw that. I was curious and looked it up. :)
(Dang... another cat killed. No offense.)

I don't get the cat mudering.... :confused3

Now you know. Now you need to try a good one.

OK, ok, but I don't know where to find one, other than Key West and I'm not going there anytime soon.

I actually saw them do that at the next table when I ate at the Santa Monica Pier. Was interesting. And, like I said, I'd have some... but not much.

I actually don't eat that much either, it's best when we have four or more people join in on it.

Okay. Hope the next visit ends with "He's good!"

Me too. $500 later.

Dang it! And I was just at my butcher's yesterday... and forgot to ask.

Well now you have to go back. This is an odd concept, both you and Su-Lynn mentioned butchers. We just go to the grocery store. One of the stores everyone in the Meat Dept is a trained butcher.

No, you can do those indirect too. I heat the BBQ up so the grates are really hot, then put the burgers on. I turn the heat way down on that side. When I flip them, I'll transfer to the other side and reverse the levels on the burners. You get your sear and avoid flameups.
Hmm.... I guess it's not really indirect then. Just the burners that are going at the time, make it kind of like that? But you're right, it's not really cooking by indirect. It's still searing.

When I said indirect heat, I meant covered like using the barbecue as an oven. This reminds me, I have been wanting to make my whole grilled chicken recipe for some time now. I finally have a charcoal grill in working order, I need to put that on the menu for next week.

What's with all the cat comments? :confused3

Better than not saying anything like when the cat’s got your tongue.
(No offense to cats.)

This is true. Fran and I always work it out, just the other day we were out for breakfast. I wanted pancakes and bacon, and she usually gets the bacon an eggs breakfast, but as we were ordering, she said, "Get the large stack, if you'll share your pancakes with me."

Then she ordered hers and I said, "will you share your hashbrowns with me?" Best of both worlds. :goodvibes

::yes::

See I'd rather eat part of that so that I can have more of whatever is to come later, which is usually Steak or Mac n Cheese whenever French onion soup is a starter.

Okay you’ve convinced me. We’ll share. I’ll have all the cheese and onions, and you can have the remaining broth when I’m done.

Dang I’m generous.

And I was paying attention to the conductors

:sad2: Geez, of course you were. That was stupid of me.

I think it also has to do with the Marine layer. It doesn't get sunny here until around 2PM.

That’s called “smog”.

I don't get the cat mudering.... :confused3

Me neither! They should ban curiosity.

OK, ok, but I don't know where to find one, other than Key West and I'm not going there anytime soon.

Best one I’ve had was in Chicago. They are out there.

Well now you have to go back. This is an odd concept, both you and Su-Lynn mentioned butchers. We just go to the grocery store. One of the stores everyone in the Meat Dept is a trained butcher.

But the dedicated butcher stores have better cuts and better quality. At least that’s what I find.

When I said indirect heat, I meant covered like using the barbecue as an oven.

Ah yes. Of course.

This reminds me, I have been wanting to make my whole grilled chicken recipe for some time now. I finally have a charcoal grill in working order, I need to put that on the menu for next week.

Mmm... sounds good!

Well we are back from all our travels, and will be staying put for almost two months. Well maybe.

The time that we have been talking about for the past four years has finally come. It was this week four years ago that we moved out of our old house, and ever since then we have been trying to get the last of our stuff out of there. Technically we still haven't finished because my old leather recliner is still in there, the contractor and his henchman keep moving it around the living room area to keep it out of their way. It's been on Craigslist for free for over a month and while we've recieved received lots of inquiries, no one has actually come to take it off our hands.

About a week before we left for Kansas City they began demoing the old house. Here’s a couple shots of what used to be the kitchen.

q18IRL0521DS01.jpg

q18IRL0521DS02.jpg

Now the cabinets are completely gone. Today we picked out the tile for the flooring in the kitchen, Dining room, living room, hallway and bathrooms. Once they lay the tile, we’ll be purchasing new kitchen cabinets and such. We also picked out the carpeting that will go in the bedrooms. I’m really hoping that we can have the place ready to put on the market by August.

Berlioz still has another couple weeks before his recheck at the doctor’s, so no news on his condition.

That’s about all the IRL news for now!

As of July last year Jenny officially began “living here". Something that she repeats as a mantra, “We live here now!” i don't think she will ever get sick of saying it!

So one of the benefits of her living here is that we can do evening trips out to the park after she gets off work. See comment above as evidence!

One evening in late January we were able to find the time to do this. We were going to ride a few rides and get some dinner, but neither of us was hungry, and then we ended up having a couple cocktails. We decided that we better stop at two and headed off to ride Guardians of the Galaxy. Twice.

x18DL0125GG02.jpg

I think we ended up at the Hearthstone Lounge while we waited for Fran to come pick us up. For some reason it seems that Fran doesn’t trust me to drive out there, either that or she doesn’t want to be stuck without the car.

When Jenny’s DH got hired at Disney he got a great coupon for 50% a meal at various restaurants. Jenny wanted to use it for the Chef’s counter at Napa Rose, but one of the stipulations was that it was only valid midweek. That’s fine for me and Fran, it was a little more difficult for Jenny and her DH, but they made it work!

x18DL0221NR01.jpg

We had a great view of the kitchen.

x18DL0221NR02.jpg

x18DL0221NR03.jpg

I love the bread service here.

x18DL0221NR04.jpg

Prickly Pear Crab Shooter was our amuse bouche. This was pretty good. I’m not sure what the liquid was, but it was nice.

x18DL0221NR05.jpg

We were all served different wines. Jenny was enjoying a cocktail so she didn’t do the wine pairings. I believe that Fran and I were served the Far Niente and Inception Chardonnays and Michael had the Baileyana.

x18DL0221NR06.jpg

x18DL0221NR07.jpg

x18DL0221NR08.jpg

As we nibbled on our bread and watched the action in the kitchen our first courses arrived. This is the Diver Scallop with Lobster and Vanilla Sauce, Fran may have been given this one, but it is one of my favorite dishes and it’s not on the menu right now, so we traded and I had this one.

x18DL0221NR10.jpg

Not exactly sure what this first fish course is….possibly Sea Bream. I think this what Jenny ate.

x18DL0221NR09.jpg

Also no idea what this one is, but I think it’s what I traded with Fran

x18DL0221NR11.jpg

Diver Scallop and Blue Shrimp with Grilled Pumpkin, Pine Nuts, Roasted Red Bell Pepper, Golden Raisins, and Orange Bubbles, I think this was Michael’s dish because I had to steal this picture from Jenny’s, since he was sitting on her other side and I couldn’t easily take pictures of his dishes.

x18DL0221NR12.jpg

Everyone loved their fish courses!

Next round of wines

x18DL0221NR13.jpg

x18DL0221NR14.jpg

This is the smiling Tiger Salad, another favorite of mine that Fran was served, so we switched. It has spicy beef underneath the weeds and that ball is a piece of tempura lobster. I got the Riesling as that was what was paired with it.

x18DL0221NR15.jpg

Hazelnut Thyme Roasted Apple Salad California White Cheddar, Endive and Red Mustard Greens, that I would have hated, but Fran enjoyed it. This was paired with the Rose.

x18DL0221NR16.jpg

Jenny had the Hamachi Tartare with EVOO, Cayenne Chili, Scallion, Meyer Lemon, and Avocado

x18DL0221NR17.jpg

I think Michael was also served the Smiling Tiger Salad.

[Continued in Next Post]

Last edited:
[Continued from Previous Post]

The Next course was varied for all of us again. But first the wines

x18DL0221NR18.jpg

x18DL0221NR19.jpg

I was served the Wine Country Goose Cassoulet Braised Cranberry Beans and Kumquat Mustardo, It was pretty good, nice flavors, but here was the point where I started to get pretty full.

x18DL0221NR21.jpg

Pan-roasted Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast Butternut Squash Spätzle, Forager Mushrooms and Duck Pinot Noir Essence. I believe she liked it. I didn’t hear any complaints out of her all night.

x18DL0221NR23.jpg

Jenny had the Sweetbreads (which I would not have been OK with), but she seemed to really like them.

x18DL0221NR20.jpg

Michael was served the Quail (which was not on the menu) so we don’t have any more details about it’s preparation.

x18DL0221NR22.jpg

And now we’re moving on to the Main Course with the big and robust wines.

x18DL0221NR24.jpg

x18DL0221NR25.jpg

I believe that Jenny was served the filet as she said it was amazing on her post of this meal.

x18DL0221NR26.jpg

This one must have been mine, based on the location of all the pictures. Normally I’m not a fan of a NY strip, but I do remember it was well prepared and I liked the fingerling potatoes.

x18DL0221NR27.jpg

Fran got the Rosemary Grilled Petit Filet Mignon Braised Beef and Shelling Bean Ragu, Cranberry Pistachio Pesto. She prefers a Rib Eye, but enjoyed this dish as well.

x18DL0221NR28.jpg

Michael got the Rack of Lamb, as I was envious that he was served that and I wasn’t.

x18DL0221NR29.jpg

Then we were served our dessert wines.

x18DL0221NR30.jpg

x18DL0221NR31.jpg

This was Jenny’s dessert. I have no idea what it was because she didn’t have a description when she posted it the day after our meal, so months later, I can’t even make a guess.

x18DL0221NR32.jpg

I think this one was Michael’s dessert, it was obviously chocolate and something tells me the yellow thing was like Mango sorbet and those are little chunks of Mango in there.

x18DL0221NR33.jpg

This was mine. I’ve had this one before and it’s totally one of my favorites as well. Best Ever Hot Chocolate - Chestnut filled donut, mini sweet croissant stout cake

x18DL0221NR35.jpg

Fran got the who knows what! I think by the end of the meal they were giving us stuff that is off the menu.

x18DL0221NR34.jpg

After that we pretty much rolled out of there. Everyone was stuffed and I even took some of my meat home with me. Now that I looked over these pictures, I want to do this again sometime! And soon!

Did you say an update was coming? :hyper:

Check your texts. Want to go to Disneyland tomorrow evening?

Perfect timing! And you played right into the first part of my update!

Well, look at that! I found one I like!

:laughing: I do remember that you were not impressed with his other buildings.

Better than not saying anything like when the cat’s got your tongue.
(No offense to cats.)

o_O

Okay you’ve convinced me. We’ll share. I’ll have all the cheese and onions, and you can have the remaining broth when I’m done.

Dang I’m generous.

That's OK. I'll pass on sharing things that can't be split into separate plates...

That’s called “smog

No the smog collects up by the mountains inland. We get the marine layer at the beach and it burns off by 2PM.

Best one I’ve had was in Chicago. They are out there.

Not sure where I would look to find them here...

But the dedicated butcher stores have better cuts and better quality. At least that’s what I find

I don't think we even have any independent butcher shops here. Unless you count the Carnecerias.

Mmm... sounds good!

Fill it with pearl onions, herbs and butter, and grill, covered, over charcoal for about 90 minutes.

That's OK. I'll pass on sharing things that can't be split into separate plates...

Oh sure. The moment I offer to share, you turn your nose up!

No the smog collects up by the mountains inland. We get the marine layer at the beach and it burns off by 2PM.

I bow to your superior local knowledge.

I don't think we even have any independent butcher shops here. Unless you count the Carnecerias.

Maybe there’s no need?

Fill it with pearl onions, herbs and butter, and grill, covered, over charcoal for about 90 minutes.

Yep! That’s a yum. Back later to comment

Great pics from the concert! I like your black dress - so pretty! Very nice review as well!

Nice that you are finally moving forward on the old place.

Oh, my, so much food!

That meal was amazing! Remember it was for our Valentine's and your do-over Valentine's Day meal. Incredible!

The sweet breads were delicious and I am glad I didn't know what they were until after. ;) But you know what a bone marrow freak I am. LOL.

Great pictures and ::yes:: let's do this again!!

I cannot believe how DeSoto looks in these photos. So happy for you ladies. It'll be a beautiful rental. Gabby said she saw one of the DeSotos on Craiigslist yesterday; is this is?

The night we rode GOTG after a couple of drinks was a blast. Great pic too.

Last edited:
Oh sure. The moment I offer to share, you turn your nose up!

We've shared on several occasions before, as you pointed out!

I bow to your superior local knowledge.

As well you should! :laughing:

Maybe there’s no need?

The grocery stores have pretty good quality meat. Ralph's only sells choice beef and Stater Bros is the one where everyone in the meat dept is a certified butcher.

Yep! That’s a yum. Back later to comment

I'm looking forward to it.

Great pics from the concert! I like your black dress - so pretty! Very nice review as well!

Thanks, that currently my favorite concert dress.

Nice that you are finally moving forward on the old place.

It's really about time.

Oh, my, so much food!

It was all so good!

That meal was amazing! Remember it was for our Valentine's and your do-over Valentine's Day meal. Incredible!

I had forgotten it was our Valentine's make up. Now I don't even remember what Fran and I did for actual Valentine's. Probably not much.

The sweet breads were delicious and I am glad I didn't know what they were until after. ;) But you know what a bone marrow freak I

Yeah, those are one thing that I don't want to eat.

Great pictures and ::yes:: let's do this again!!

#WhenCanWeDoThisAgain

I cannot believe how DeSoto looks in these photos. So happy for you ladies. It'll be a beautiful rental. Gabby said she saw one of the DeSotos on Craiigslist yesterday; is this is?

One of our units? We don't have anything available right now.

The night we rode GOTG after a couple of drinks was a blast. Great pic too.

will be staying put for almost two months. Well maybe.

"maybe" :lmao:

Technically we still haven't finished because my old leather recliner is still in there,

And the clock on the wall.

I’m really hoping that we can have the place ready to put on the market by August.

Lots of work to do. Good luck!

Something that she repeats as a mantra, “We live here now!” i don't think she will ever get sick of saying it!

:laughing: I can totally see that.

So one of the benefits of her living here is that we can do evening trips out to the park after she gets off work. See comment above as evidence!

Perfect timing on that. :)

:laughing:

When Jenny’s DH got hired at Disney he got a great coupon for 50% a meal at various restaurants.

Nice!

We had a great view of the kitchen.

I love that. I love watching the chefs work.

Everything looked good, but this one is a really pretty dish.

And now we’re moving on to the Main Course with the big and robust wines.

Now???? But you're already full!

Michael got the Rack of Lamb, as I was envious that he was served that and I wasn’t.

I would be too. One of my favourite meals.

Man. Gorgeous presentation.

Everyone was stuffed

I bet!

Now that I looked over these pictures, I want to do this again sometime! And soon!

Who wouldn't!

and will be staying put for almost two months. Well maybe.

I might actually be in one place for much of August and September.

Maybe.

(Actually, I really hope so! I need to make bank for my Sept/Oct trip!)

I’m really hoping that we can have the place ready to put on the market by August.

Oh, Alison, me too! It's been a long time coming!

then we ended up having a couple cocktails. We decided that we better stop at two and headed off to ride Guardians of the Galaxy. Twice.

Double the fun!!!!!

What a phenomenal photo of you 4!

Prickly Pear Crab Shooter was our amuse bouche. This was pretty good. I’m not sure what the liquid was, but it was nice.

Prickly pear cactus juice?? Our housekeeper from when I was growing up would always take ours from our yard after they bloomed to enjoy.

Exquisite labels. I would buy both of those JUST for the labels in a heartbeat!!!

I won't comment on all the food because there was just so much beauty and variety. It all looked absolutely fantastic!! Makes me want to maybe request we do this next time I"m down there... ;)

So that meal has me baffled. Do they just serve you random stuff, or do you pick from a list of choices? I am not sure I would like the randomness of it. Meat OK, but I am pretty finicky when It comes to seafood. Love shrimp, scallop and crab, but hate most fish. Do you get to specify what you like? I have to imagine the meal is a small fortune.

I want to go visit my parents at their house, but we need to get our stuff in order. So maybe. :lmao:

And the clock on the wall.

It's gone now....

Lots of work to do. Good luck!

Well the only work I have to do is write checks at this point.

Perfect timing on that. :)

She unknowingly played right into my hand!

I love that. I love watching the chefs work.

My favorite seat in the house. We kept talking with them all night to see what they were doing.

Everything looked good, but this one is a really pretty dish.

It's a very tasty one too and they have been serving it for a long time.

Now???? But you're already full!

I said "starting to get full".

I would be too. One of my favourite meals.

I need to make it at home since I can't afford to go out for that right now.

Man. Gorgeous presentation.

They do a good job there!

Who wouldn't!

A crazy person? :confused3

Our grocery stores do have butchers... but for really good cuts? Go to a butcher.
And! Mine does sell tri tip. :)

I looked up butchers. And besides the Carnecerias that came up, I would have to drive to either Huntington Beach or Torrance to find a real butcher outside of a grocery store. I'm sure their cuts of meat are top notch, but my local Stater Bros has excellent meat and prices, so a fancy butcher will have to wait until I win the lottery!

;)

Facetious could be one of my many middle names.

;)

As far as I know, this company does NOT eat cameras. :laughing:

That's good to know!

Wine a good answer to most anything. :thumbsup2

I might actually be in one place for much of August and September.

Maybe.

(Actually, I really hope so! I need to make bank for my Sept/Oct trip!)

We are gone the last week of August and the most of the first week in September so yeah, it would be good to stay put. But we haven't visited my parents since Dec 2016.

Oh, Alison, me too! It's been a long time coming!

Tell me about it! Four years ago Wednesday we spent our first night in the new house.

Double the fun!!!!!

a phenomenal photo of you 4!

You know Michael has mad selfie skilz.

Prickly pear cactus juice?? Our housekeeper from when I was growing up would always take ours from our yard after they bloomed to enjoy.

I bet that's what it was! Crab in the cactus juice.

Exquisite labels. I would buy both of those JUST for the labels in a heartbeat!!!

I never look at the labels much, just drink the drink.

So that meal has me baffled. Do they just serve you random stuff, or do you pick from a list of choices? I am not sure I would like the randomness of it. Meat OK, but I am pretty finicky when It comes to seafood. Love shrimp, scallop and crab, but hate most fish. Do you get to specify what you like? I have to imagine the meal is a small fortune.

I believe they asked us about our likes and dislikes before the meal. I believe I told them salmon, eggplant, "funny" meats (like Jenny's sweetbreads) and that was about it. All of us were open to eat just about anything so they just kind of fed us whatever. I imagine if you said no seafood they would work around that.

I want to go visit my parents at their house, but we need to get our stuff in order. So maybe. :lmao:

:laughing: Seee!!!

It's gone now....

Another senseless victim of home renovation.
Or should that be another timeless victim?

Well the only work I have to do is write checks at this point.

That's the most painful type.

She unknowingly played right into my hand!

My favorite seat in the house. We kept talking with them all night to see what they were doing.

You could talk to them? I never have. Didn't want to disturb them.

It's a very tasty one too and they have been serving it for a long time.

Want.

I said "starting to get full".

Okay, okay.

I need to make it at home since I can't afford to go out for that right now.

You can? I've never tried. Ambitious.

A crazy person? :confused3

:rolleyes1

I looked up butchers. And besides the Carnecerias that came up, I would have to drive to either Huntington Beach or Torrance to find a real butcher outside of a grocery store. I'm sure their cuts of meat are top notch, but my local Stater Bros has excellent meat and prices, so a fancy butcher will have to wait until I win the lottery!

But it sounds like you don't need one. :)

Well we are back from all our travels, and will be staying put for almost two months.

How can you stand it?? :laughing:

About a week before we left for Kansas City they began demoing the old house.

Demolition is the most fun part of any job.

We were going to ride a few rides and get some dinner, but neither of us was hungry, and then we ended up having a couple cocktails. We decided that we better stop at two and headed off to ride Guardians of the Galaxy. Twice.

Cocktails and then Guardians...sounds like a risky combo.

When Jenny’s DH got hired at Disney he got a great coupon for 50% a meal at various restaurants. Jenny wanted to use it for the Chef’s counter at Napa Rose, but one of the stipulations was that it was only valid midweek.

50%! Wow, I didn't think Disney ever offered discounts like that. Nice to have the inside track.

Also no idea what this one is

My general feeling throughout most of the photos of this meal.

This was Jenny’s dessert. I have no idea what it was because she didn’t have a description when she posted it the day after our meal, so months later, I can’t even make a guess.

Probably a moon pie.

Fran got the who knows what! I think by the end of the meal they were giving us stuff that is off the menu.

"They've had enough wine by now; they'll eat whatever we throw at them!" :rotfl2:

After that we pretty much rolled out of there. Everyone was stuffed and I even took some of my meat home with me. Now that I looked over these pictures, I want to do this again sometime! And soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter