The sharing economy.....

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
Perhaps it is because I come from a large family. or that for several years my friends and I shared lodgings for big Thanksgiving weekends, but I look at the point charts and I think that sharing a 2 bedroom would be the best value I could ever think of DVC wise. A 2BR looks to be at LEAST 10% less than a 1BR + Studio and often much more. Our family has dietary restrictions that make a kitchen VERY useful so I look at 1 and 2 Bedroom units.

What do others recommend when it comes to sharing accommodations with freinds and family? does it work well for you? what helps to make sharing possible?

In some cases it works. I think you truly have to get along well. I couldn’t share with any of my relatives, but have shared and plan to do so again, with my very good friends. I think you need to leave the living space free (ie no one sleeps on the pullouts), so there is common meeting space. You need to know that you won’t do everything together and be okay with that. Parenting styles should line up. You should like each other’s kids. I’m also okay with my best friend stepping in to parent my kids when necessary and appropriate, as she is with me.

This is interesting and DH and I vary in how we feel about it. We do WDW with my in laws a lot. SIL also owns DVC. We have had a couple trips with all 15 of us. But other SIL, her DH and DD do not like WDW so they won't go again. We also have done trips with SIL who owns DVC, her fam of 5 and our fam of 5. We have had MIL and FIL...SIL has gone with MIL and FIL and not us. We, DH and I, have gone with just SIL and BIL. We go in 2 weeks with SIL and her whole fam of 5 plus 2 significant others of the kids (not kids really) and MIL and FIL and DH and I...not my 3 kids (not kids really...20 somethings but they couldn't come).

So we have shared and we have gotten separate. DH likes separate. SIL likes separate. SIL uses her points to book her own rooms. I use mine to book MIL (they paid to use). It's cheaper to book us a 2BR instead of a 1BR and a studio or even 2 1BRs. WHen the kids come, then I might get a 2BR for us and whatever MIL wants for them (she likes a 1BR). Though when the kids were young we did all stay in a 2BR once and it was just fine. And we took SIL to our HHI resort, we own at, and stayed in a 2BR together for 3 nights. That was fine.

The upcoming trip I have a 2BR for 9 nights for MIL and FIL and DH and I. I think it won't be bad because it's just 4 of us. ANd I got lock offs so we can opt to keep them locked off. But we won't. We might have some...um...moments. But overall it should be fine. It would be more problematic if we had little kids as then there may be issues with how we discipline our kids and all that jazz. BUt just us 4 adults in a 2BR...should be fine.

I also bring my mom a bunch and we always share a villa. We have even done studios, her and I or her, my 2 DDs and I...and I will say I won't do a studio with her again. I'll book a 1BR for us 2 or 2BR for us with DDs. We both need our own sleep space, TV control and whatnot. She likes to stay up late with light on doing crossword puzzle and loud TV while I like quiet TV and dark room around 10-11pm. She gets up to use bathroom like 4 times through the night and it wakes me.

DH has requested we don't share villas with others anymore. We have a lot of points and are cutting back our trips so I can oblige his request.

We did share with some friends one time and that did not go well. They were in their room a lot and on cellphones and not super involved. We know to just go separate when vacationing with them. Actually I prefer not to share with folks I am not really close to. We did a competitive sport with our kids where we had to travel and many folks liked to share, even cram in to make the cost super cheap. But I prefer privacy and not a fan of sleeping in same room with ANYONE but my DH, kids and mom. Sometimes that extends to a whole condo or house...just want to do things your own time and way. Go to bed the time you like, keep the thermostat at the temp you like, watch TV how you like, eat and drink as you like, walk around dressed as you like.

Last edited:
It's been years since we shared with anyone other than our son and one or two of his friends.

We took our moms and my brother on a trip before we bought into DVC and all 7 of us shared a two bedroom. It was much cheaper than the three separate hotel rooms we would've needed otherwise and worked great. I loved having a central place to hang out together. That trip was actually what convinced us to buy in. I wouldn't do that with everyone though. If any of our other siblings joined us, I'd probably opt for separate spaces so we would still like each other at the end of the trip.

For our upcoming trip at OKW we have 4 adults (Mom, 2 Aunts, sister) in a studio and 4 adults/2 kids (us, sister/BIL, and the niblings) in a 2 BR.
Everybody gets a bed, and the kitchen is free for the early risers to come in, make breakfast, etc. 162 points, and we can still squeeze 3 people in if they change their minds.

When we go to Universal midweek we'll be in 3 standard queen studios.

Like you said- Thanksgiving trains large families to sleep in close quarters. This is pretty spread out for us. I fully expected to be accommodating 13 people on my measly 75 point contract. :crowded:

We are all about the room sharing! It's like a giant sleepover :teeth: That being said we travel very well with our friends/family and the kids (mostly) get along. The only downside is that we are the only ones in our travel group with a DVC membership and when we bought in we bought with the intention of our family of 4 being content with studios. That quickly grew into realizing how much more fun it is to have family and friends with us even though our 220 points doesn't really allow for that. For this upcoming trip we are doing 4 nights at Kidani before moving over to a rental house for a week.

It's weird because if I was paying cash I would never cover everyone's room cost but here I am constantly lusting over an extra 150 points (a 15k+ 'investment') or so so we can keep getting 2 bedrooms for everyone.

...if I was paying cash I would never cover everyone's room cost but here I am constantly lusting over an extra 150 points (a 15k+ 'investment') or so so we can keep getting 2 bedrooms for everyone.

I hear you. I am about to start planning trip #2 (trip #1 isn't until Feb '20, mind you) and I keep thinking....maybe I need 50 more points. Just 50. That's all.

It really depends on the people involved, i.e., can they all get along fine staying together for the entire trip? Some believe that would be easy but there are generally two types of relationships usually demonstrated at Christmas time when families may have a get together for four or more days, all or most staying in the same home. You have the group that has a great time everyday, all smiles, everyone compliments the others, and everyone goes home happy. Then you have the group that is all smiles and loving for the first day and then the most of the second day. Then something little happens resurrecting an old, buried wound for one or more of the group, then that becomes a topic of discussion, which is then followed by other old wounds resurrecting themselves, and by day four most of the group staying together is trying to avoid or grouching at each other, and, God forbid, if there is also a fifth day, homicide becomes a considered option.

If you are in the first group, that 2BR can be ideal. As a grandparent, we have taken children and grandchildren and shared a 2BR and that has worked fine.

Last edited:
Yep, we share. Grew up in a small house, 1 bathroom and few or none of our friends an family had it much different so we all know how to share and generally respect each others space and needs. Throw in a person or two who has no clue on how to do that? It could be a bit tough.

In our family the biggest reason we sometimes split off into studios is newlyweds or snorers or a desire to get everyone a real bed.

I have shared with others a few times. It all depends on who you are with in terms of how well it works. When I shared with my, sister, niece, aunt, and cousins, it went really well. All girls, and we had a 2 bedroom. We didn't cook, but having the living room to hang out it at night worked out well. Some of the kids slept there too. Last year, I took my daughters, nephew, and his 3 grown girls. Well, we also had a 2 bedroom and it was not the best situation for me. His girls had a few issues amongst themselves, and the comfort level was just not the same. Yes, they stayed in the studio part but if I were to do it again, I would book it as a studio and 1 bedroom, even if it cost more points, just to give everyone a bit more privacy.

Now, if staying with my DS, his wife and my grandchildren it might be different.

It really depends on the people involved, i.e., can they all get along fine staying together for the entire trip? Some believe that would be easy but there are generally two types of relationships usually demonstrated at Christmas time when families may have a get together for four or more days, all or most staying in the same home. You have the group that has a great time everyday, all smiles, everyone compliments the others, and everyone goes home happy. Then you have the group that is all smiles and loving for the first day and then the most of the second day. Then something little happens resurrecting an old, buried wound for one or more of the group, then that becomes a topic of discussion, which is then followed by other old wounds resurrecting themselves, and by day four most of the group staying together is trying to avoid or grouching at each other, and, God forbid, if there is also a fifth day, homicide becomes a comsidered option.

If you are in the first group, that 2BR can be ideal. As a grandparent, we have taken children and grandchildren and shared a 2BR and that has worked fine.
Yup! I admit I resemble that second group :rolleyes1

Another thing DH and I consider when just vacationing with another family...and that is how we are with $$$. When we were younger and money was tight we had a hard time with SIL (DVC owning SIL) because they liked to spend money and go for conveniece. But as time went on and we had more money, we too became spenders. We do excursions, tours, signature meals...all that stuff. We don't cook an vacay. So we now have some friends who are 'tougher' to vacay with because they, for example, want to get in grocieries to cook or their meal out is Bojangles. So SIL, who was once toughest to vacay with has now become best. BUt still we like our own villas...we did do a 2BR with just us 2 couples at HHI for 3 nights and we can manage that. But if longer, it's just best we have our own space. And when our kids are involved it kind muddies things as we both (both us moms) aim to please our own kids (even though our kids are all 20-somethings).

It is funny. I think when you grow up in a large family and share a lot, you are more comfortable with other people in your private space (me). But then if you marry someone from a small family (2 kids or less, not a lot of extended family), you have to deal with someone who doesn’t want to share private space (dh). There is no way I could convince dh to vacation with anyone else, unless they were totally on their own. I have tried! Especially when we were younger and were more concerned about money, there were times I had friends and/or family who wanted to share a condo at the beach or skiing. Dh: No. Lol. I have thought it would be fun to bring friends along with dvc, but I know dh would never go for it.

To me it depends on whom I'm sharing space with. My brother in law - not happening - everyone would be miserable. But we've shared space with friends just fine. It also depends on how much room you have available. I don't want to be tripping over people - we are used to our family of four in a two bedroom with no one in the living room. When you start putting people on the sleeper in the living room, that started feeling too crowded for me. We've done that when our kids were really young, but since they were small, we've always left the living room as space that is open. We've done six in a Grand Villa, and I'd do eight or ten, if I got the master, the other people didn't mind sharing rooms, and we all got along.

I'm an introvert by nature. I want space to myself. Even space from my husband and kids. That was why we bought DVC, so we wouldn't be shoving us all into a studio. I find people to be stressful and I often find Disney with people to be stressful. When we bring friends, we are often playing native guide - and I take it upon myself to keep everyone happy and try and anticipate needs. That can be made especially difficult when people don't anticipate their own needs - even when you coach them (Is your kid afraid of the dark? Heights? Loud noises? No. OK, I'll make plans to put your six year old on Space Mountain. Get there and yeah, Fastpasses out the window. I usually can't get guests to pick a restaurant when reservations need to be made, and end up guessing. Then, of course, I take it personally if someone doesn't like my choice) By the end of the day I can be a cranky camper.

We've had good guests, but we've had bad guests as well.

I've stacked plenty of hotel rooms when I was younger. But I'm done with that, and have been for fifteen years.

I was talking to DH about this last night. We're about to go to WDW, next week, with his family and will be sharing a 2BR with his parents. He was not thrilled about that and wanted us to each get our own studios (but for similar points I prefer we have kitchen and W/D so I booked a 2BR). But I said to him, last night...'could you imagine if we just had one studio for the 4 of us like many people do? Imagine opening your eyes in the morning and you're looking at your parents in their bed...no thanks!'. It's bad enough I have to hear snoring from DH (as well as other gross sounds). I don't want to hear FIL. Plus using the bathroom in the middle of the night...if it's me, I'd be afraid I'd wake the in laws and if it's the in laws, they'd wake me (I am a light sleeper). And I know FIL uses the bathroom a lot at night. And he wakes at like 5am and wants coffee. It's all just awkward. The 2BR, they have their own room and we have ours. As we all wake in the morning we can converge in the living room. No waking anyone at 5am or in the middle of the night.

It is funny. I think when you grow up in a large family and share a lot, you are more comfortable with other people in your private space (me). But then if you marry someone from a small family (2 kids or less, not a lot of extended family), you have to deal with someone who doesn’t want to share private space (dh). There is no way I could convince dh to vacation with anyone else, unless they were totally on their own. I have tried! Especially when we were younger and were more concerned about money, there were times I had friends and/or family who wanted to share a condo at the beach or skiing. Dh: No. Lol. I have thought it would be fun to bring friends along with dvc, but I know dh would never go for it.

My mother came from a large family. She TREASURES her own space. She is like me, she is essentially an introvert who needs time away from her husband and children - much less her extended family. She is also like me in that when people get together in any place where she sees herself as a hostess, she will try and anticipate needs - expending a lot of energy she doesn't have.

My dad is an extrovert. 53 years of marriage and I don't think he has yet figured out how exhausting it is for my mother to be around people because she puts a good face on it - and then becomes a cranky camper after everyone leaves. Or how much she hates group vacations. In the past few years she's just started saying "nope. not doing that."

My mother came from a large family. She TREASURES her own space. She is like me, she is essentially an introvert who needs time away from her husband and children - much less her extended family. She is also like me in that when people get together in any place where she sees herself as a hostess, she will try and anticipate needs - expending a lot of energy she doesn't have.

My dad is an extrovert. 53 years of marriage and I don't think he has yet figured out how exhausting it is for my mother to be around people because she puts a good face on it - and then becomes a cranky camper after everyone leaves. Or how much she hates group vacations. In the past few years she's just started saying "nope. not doing that."

I respect that. I am actually glad dh tells me how he feels about it, that’s why I have never fought him on it. Some people need more space than others. And I can go either way, so not the end of the world for me. And you are right, sometimes coming from a large family makes you crave space. I bet your mom feels great saying no, very liberating saying how you really feel.

A reason we bought Dvc was to share. I have Florida family that doesn’t do big treat the family sort of things, and I wanted to be the nice older cousin and do that for them.

So our first Wdw stay was in a 2 bedroom at OKW with them.

Now I do Princess trips with her, and this year we expanded it to inviting the rest of her family after the run weekend. I’ve just booked the family part last night.

We don’t all get along perfectly, but oh well.

Knowing the sleeping arrangements before booking something is important. Who will share with who. Who is appropriate to share? A 5 and 8 year old girl/boy second cousin pair is fine, but 12 and 15? Nah.

I’ve also shared with my bestie for another rundisney, and that was great as well.

And since I don’t ask for money, my points = I get the big bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts