The sharing economy.....

What do others recommend when it comes to sharing accommodations with freinds and family? does it work well for you? what helps to make sharing possible?
We’ve owned timeshare for almost 20 years and have enjoyed sharing with friends and family many times over the years. Our basic planning framework:
  • Every household gets their own bathroom.
  • Consider sleeping arrangements before booking. Plan, in advance, where everyone will sleep and consider “compatibility.” If in doubt, book additional space. This gets tricky when the kids become young adults (marriage and babies change the numbers somewhere between booking the reservation and traveling).
  • Nobody sleeps in the living room. (This is flexible rule ... but is our preference. We leave at least our living room as the designated “gathering place” and do not have anyone sleeping on the couch in this space.
FWIW, we don’t ask our guests to participate in room costs. We host the room but generally expect them to supply their own air/travel costs, park tickets, etc.

We ve Only ever shared twice, both with family and both with our own bedroom and bathroom. Both were special occasion visits.
It’s just Not for us. We like our own space, our own schedule and the xtra costs are just part of that. If I was forced to share versus forgoing a trip ... we d skip the trip.
Just not part of our lifestyle.

If you're looking at a one bedroom, plus a studio, with one family in the 1 bedroom and the other in the studio, save points and book a two bedroom lockoff, if they are available at your chosen resort. Basically a lockoff IS a studio with the connecting one bedroom. The entry doors will be keyed alike, but if that isn't an issue, just close the connecting door and you will be two separate units. Be sure the adults go to the resort front desk and link their own credit cards to their magic bands, and you'll be all set.

Last edited:
WIW, we don’t ask our guests to participate in room costs. We host the room but generally expect them to supply their own air/travel costs, park tickets, etc.
That's what I usually do, too. For an upcoming trip, the other people are very generously paying for my flight and park ticket, since he gets the military ticket discount, so I won't be renewing my gold AP as I usually do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts