The Snarkiest Safari That Ever Sailed! An October 2018, Food & Wine Trip! Complete 4/26/19!!

Completely agree to all of the above. We had a split stay when my girls were younger at CR TPV/ AKL Savannah view and both were CL. After checking out of CR and into AKL the lobby is stunning and my girls enjoyed looking at the animals. All I could focus on was the dark much smaller room. My biggest complaint was feeling so isolated from the parks. I know many people enjoy that including my DH. For me I want to feel like I'm in the center of it or very close to it. That's why I love the monorail resorts and BC/YC so much.

Finally! Someone else with good taste! :laughing:

Are those ostrich eggs?

They are! And a 200-pound person could stand on one and not break it…just learned that from my favorite safari guy ::yes::

4 weeks from today and I can have one of those babies YUM!

So close! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Late to the party but following! Great TR so far- I too have a man who isn't a huge fan of a number of rides (he gets motion sickness really easily). It's nice to see you guys are having a great time regardless! :)

:welcome:

It's never too late to join in! :-)

We make it work. Even going to WDW is a compromise and he does it for me so I can't be too annoyed when he doesn't go on rides. I'm just happy we are able to still go :thumbsup2

I am embarrassed to admit this, but... I haven't :duck::laughing:

I guess if you've seen the real thing enough, seeing it in WDW wouldn't be a big draw for you. If you ever do get there, I would love to hear how it compares :goodvibes

I completely understand. It's hilarious because my version of this ("I feel bad saying so because so many people love it") is the safari! :rotfl: So the fact that this was your latest post is so funny to me! Now if I had that driver... I think my mind would be changed ;)

Isn't that funny! I can take it or leave it, I guess. I usually do make a FP for it because there's not that many other rides I really want a FP for, plus it's kind of tradition. If all the rides on KS were this fun, it would become a favorite :thumbsup2

Funny how we can all experience the same hotels and have totally different experiences and impressions. We love AKL but I probably love it for exactly why you don't. Its not on the monorail, there are no fireworks, its away from it all which is what draws me to it. Though a pool being closed (or scaffolding outside your room) can make a big difference. The first time we stayed at WL the pool was closed and we liked it, but it wasn't until we got to experience it for everything that it is that we truly fell in love.

Yikes, now I'm worried about WL :bitelip:

Not really. At least I've been there and it's close to the MK…and my new favorite place is there ::yes:: I can't wait!

And the animals. Love me some animals, but I somehow have the only child on the planet who could care less about them.

I think they're cool, but I'm with Casey, I don't get super excited about them either :sad2:

This looks horrible and revolting. What are those chunks in there? Tomato soup last I checked should not have large chunks floating in it.

Yeah, so, so bad. Croutons maybe?? :crazy2:

Except that it started and ended at AKL :P

Wait, what? Hmmmm….:scratchin

And lucky for you I can fill in if needed in May :-)

I'm sure you'll do just as good of a job :laughing:

Wow sorry Kelly I have been MIA from your TR for so long I had to reread your first 3-4 days.

No worries, glad you're back! I've done that myself more than once ::yes::

Oh my how lucky. Over 34 yr's in health care and I've worked almost every other or third Christmas.

It's not that I haven't worked on Christmas, it was the 12-hour shift. We used to at least work just 8 hours so we could have part of the day off. Working 12 hours meant pretty much not having Christmas at all.

Do you not get his MB and use his FP for a second ride? It's what we do and works great.

We have done that before. If the FP lines are too long I don't bother.

You might enjoy the Krakatoa Punch, it's a rum drink and is a lil sweet but I can still handle it (I love drinking but not sweet drinks usually, except Margarita's)

I try to avoid anything "punch-like." Too much sugar.

Again you gotta take advantage of his FP for a second ride.

I did that last year on FOP and the queue is so long that 2 rides took me an hour. I guess I just wasn't feeling it this day ::yes::

Bet your getting excited for your April trip.

We are! :cool1:

Looking forward to meeting you in May.

Can't wait!

I agree that it gets old hearing the same thing over and over again! I hope that the drivers start adlibbing more to include things that they have come up with or arent the same on every ride!

I wanted to love AKL, I really, really did. I had heard such amazing things about it and so many people rank it as their favorite WDW resort. And it's…fine, really. There are some very nice things about it, such as the lobby, and seeing the animals out in the Savanna. Maybe the fact that the pool area was under refurbishment came into play here, and it's not like I didn't know about that going in, so it wasn't a disappointment, per se. I just felt very underwhelmed by AKL. There. I said it. And I'm sorry if I offend anyone by my statement. That's not to say that I think AKL is trash, it's just not for us. And yes, us. Mike felt very much the same way.
I'm sorry it wasn't your cup of tea, but I don't blame you for it! I do love AKL, but that is just me! I know others do not! I think a savanna view certainly helps things out, unfortunately most standard studios at Jambo House are pool views, there are a handful of partial savanna ones.

I'm sorry you had a disappointing day. I think that resorts are like people: they have personalities. Some mesh really well and others don't. I have no desire to stay at The Contemporary because it feels cold and bland to me. Others love it. We didn't love The Boardwalk either even though it was quite beautiful and charming. It's okay that you don't love AKL. You don't need to feel guilty for that.
Couldn't have put it better myself! And same thoughts too with regards to the Contemporary! I'm not a huge fan, but don't begrudge anyone else who does love it!

Of course! As are the Baobab trees ::yes:: (Actually I'm embarrassed to admit I just found out on this past trip that the baobab trees were not real :sad2:)

Yup. Tree of life, baobab trees, lions...

Exactly. And here you were probably thinking I was nice and normal :scratchin

Oh, no. Far from it.

:duck:

:laughing:

Wow, you're like a math wiz :thumbsup2

I are smartist.

Yikes! Although @ariane37 used to think Mike was my boyfriend…and I also had a husband :laughing:

Y'all swing any way you want.

I agree that it gets old hearing the same thing over and over again! I hope that the drivers start adlibbing more to include things that they have come up with or arent the same on every ride!

Maybe this'll be the new trend. You'll all have to to report back if it is!

Couldn't have put it better myself! And same thoughts too with regards to the Contemporary! I'm not a huge fan, but don't begrudge anyone else who does love it!

So I guess you won't be competing with me for my beloved BLT room :love:

Yup. Tree of life, baobab trees, lions...

Don't even tell me the lions are fake too?? I thought you were joking about the animatronics??

Oh, no. Far from it.

Don't even tell me the lions are fake too?? I thought you were joking about the animatronics??

:lmao: :rotfl:

Okay, okay. The lions are real. As a matter of fact, I went one time when our driver told us to be quiet and the male was actually roaring.

I guess if you've seen the real thing enough, seeing it in WDW wouldn't be a big draw for you. If you ever do get there, I would love to hear how it compares :goodvibes
I'm going to make it a point to check it out on my next trip! :thumbsup2

Isn't that funny! I can take it or leave it, I guess. I usually do make a FP for it because there's not that many other rides I really want a FP for, plus it's kind of tradition. If all the rides on KS were this fun, it would become a favorite :thumbsup2
If all the rides on KS were that fun, it'd probably make my list of must-dos each time ::yes:: Just like Jungle Cruise, the driver/skipper can really make a huge difference in the level of enjoyment/amusement :laughing:

October 22, 2018
A TRULY PERFECT EVENING

I'm sorry, I've been kind of MIA with this TR!
I need to get going so I can finish this up before we leave for our April trip in 28 days :cool1:

When I left off, Mike and I were leaving AK and going to EPCOT to add a notch on our APs towards getting our cutting boards. This was a very quick tour through EPCOT and we literally breezed through all of it in just a couple of hours.

We took a bus to the BC so we entered through the International Gateway.
We were thirsty when we got there so we hit the DVC lounge again for some soft drinks.

enhance

While we were in the lounge, I was able to make a FP for Soarin' so we went and said hello to our friend, Putty...

enhance

And we checked out some of the chocolate sculptures in the festival center.
These things are amazing, it's hard to believe they are chocolate!

enhance

enhance

Mike and I split up because we wanted different snacks.
I think he went to the Caribbean booth but I don't know what he got.
I went to Greece and got these little Spanakopita again :love:

enhance

We took another walk around the WS and Mike tried a Schofferhofer that he enjoyed…
enhance

We caught the Server Amusant just starting and this has been one of Mike's favorite things since our first trip in 2013 so we stopped to watch. I have seen it many times and enjoy it, but standing in the sun was super hot so I saw a little bit of shade in the back and leaned against a railing to watch.
enhance

We headed out of EPCOT after that with a quick stop at Spaceship Earth on our way out...

enhance

enhance

enhance

But instead of going back to AK, we took the bus to the Wilderness Lodge and headed straight to…
enhance

Let me spoil this review by saying right from the beginning that we loved it here!
This was one of our favorite evenings of the trip and I literally cannot wait to go back.

First, this was one of the only places I found in WDW that actually carried something I could drink…
enhance

I love Truly and drink them at home all the time :love: If you've never heard of them, they are very low carb, low sugar spiked seltzer water. And they are so good. I usually drink the Lime flavored at home, but the Berry wasn't bad and I was just happy to have a low carb option.

Mike got a beer (of course :P)
enhance

And we both got burgers..
enhance

And yes, I did cheat a little and eat the bun and those fries…life is all about choices :P

We both really loved our burgers…I tried D-Luxe burger last April and, in my opinion, these are better.

Of course, the view from here was just perfect and certainly played into how much we love this place.
I highly recommend going as the sun just starting to set. This was at around 6:30 pm...
enhance

enhance

After dinner, we made our way to the boat dock and went back to the MK to catch the bus to AK.
I was a little sad looking over at The Poly wishing we were heading back there...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And that was that for this day.
I don't even remember what we did after that because I didn't take any pictures,
and you guys know I don't take notes :confused3

We only had one full day left after this and we made it to two more parks before we went home.
Which ones would they be?? That will be up next!

Sounds like a perfect Epcot pop-in! Geyser Point looks like a nice spot to relax after time in the parks! Glad you finally were able to get a drink, and boy those burgers and fries look delish!!

Oh my goodness I wish I had one of those spanikopitas right now! SO GOOD!

I'm glad you loved Geyser Point! I think it may be one of my favorite spots on property. Its just so relaxing and perfect! Good to know that they had Trulys there! That looks super refreshing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!