The Symphony, The Key, Two Teens, and Me: A March 2019 Review

That's too bad. I make my kids go to the icebreakers on the first night so they can make some friends.

What the…??? Hello, DCL?? This is such a missed opportunity for them and I would LOVE if they had these on our cruise. I hate wearing the lanyards and so do my kids. They forget them and leave them all over the place, plus for pictures you have to keep taking them on and off, or just leave them on and ruin the picture. Good for RCCL for doing this :thumbsup2

I knew DD should have gone to the icebreakers/meet and greet. She still might not have found "her" group, but she would have had a better chance. She really liked the club on HAL because there were only a few kids, and the counselors pretty much just led conversations. Every time I would peek in there to see if she wanted to come out they were all sitting in a circle, playing cards and/or talking.

I, too, can't understand why DCL isn't using Magic Bands on the cruise line, other than $$$. But then again they use them at the resorts so....

I know Princess is rolling out their Medallions, and I plan to look into those a bit more. I know, Princess? But they have some itineraries that I really want to try, and RCI either doesn't offer them or only has 1 or 2 sailings at times that won't work for us. And their newer ships and update ships are not bad. They have updated the kids/teen areas... anyway, that's a whole other thing.

Oh and I didn't really describe the food at Wonderland on the main menu. Its... pretty much the kind of food you would expect at a place that looks like that. Whimsical, unique, not quite what you expected. Not so much odd food, like cow eyeballs or whatever, but regular food prepared in a unique way.

As a fellow introvert, I get it! I love cruising with my son but he hates the kids club on RCL. He likes it on Carnival so we will now cruise Carnival until he gets to an age where he will try RCL's again... I love spending time with him but I need that "just me" time to keep me sane. Glad you were able to sneak in some time alone!

I would love to try Carnival but again, DS has some weird hangup with the soot. I will have to find some You Tube videos that disprove his theory that they are the worst polluters in the sea. Shouldn't be too hard.

Well the drawback is that the WOW bands cost money. I actually kind of like the idea of the medallions over on the Carnival brands, but since you dislike lanyards it probably won't be your kind of thing.

With that said, I did find it weird that while DCL has Magic Bands, it's for Oceaneers only. Doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch nowadays to extend the tech to the whole ship, so I'd say we keep an eye on DCL's new ship developments to see if they go in that direction.

I get the $$$ factor, though these are only $5 a piece and I would imagine you can reuse them, so if you sail often you are only making a one time investment. Whereas I know a lot of people who get new Magic Bands every time they visit WDW. It will be interesting to see if they expand their use of the bands to the rooms and charging privileges.

Really enjoying your review. We've been on the Oasis 3 times now, and will be on the Allure in just a few weeks but we have never even seen the skating rink. Maybe next time I'll actually go look for it. :)

I have no idea if the shows are as good on the Allure but this was fantastic. This one guy was doing backflips left and right. Very impressive. I hope you are going to see Mamma Mia! I bet that is a great production.

I looked at the port schedule and it looks like we are going to dock in the less-popular port in St. Thomas. Is that where you docked? And did you go into town or take an excursion? I read that there are really limited taxis that will transport a wheelchair and I might have to make prior arrangements because it's like a 2 mile hilly walk.

Probably. I am not that familiar with the ports, but there were 2 ships (NCL and Princess) docked in a different area from where we were docked. There were lots of stores near the port so we just did some shopping for souvenirs there. I am very uneducated about the port shopping scene. Our excursion was through RCI and on a boat so we didn't go into town or explore beyond the port "mall" at all.

I definitely do the diet, trying to watch my sugar. But I've made up my mind - I am SO trying this tomorrow night, and I will think of you (also loved the Nancy Drew books as a teen!). I think I might have to try at leat the orange/cream too. :)

YAY!! I hope you like it! There were a few times when I approached the Freestyle and the diet Barq's sign was grey, meaning they were out of it. I would always involuntarily semi-yell "NO!" and go find another machine. Addicted. The only place near me that has it here is a Noodles and Company. I am seriously thinking about getting dinner there tonight so I can get my fix.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    534 bytes · Views: 2
Maybe direct your son to the new Carnival Mardi Gras and the LNG fuel which is supposed to be "greener"? Also, pollution, I think is about more than just the fuel but also all the waste on the ships, bigger the ship, more waste (air pollution vs sewage type pollution). I'm sure you can find comparisons.

Maybe direct your son to the new Carnival Mardi Gras and the LNG fuel which is supposed to be "greener"? Also, pollution, I think is about more than just the fuel but also all the waste on the ships, bigger the ship, more waste (air pollution vs sewage type pollution). I'm sure you can find comparisons.

I'll have a chat with him when it is time to plan another cruise and get his input. :)

Day 4 continued

Before we got back on the ship, we wanted to do some shopping. DD wanted to buy something to wear for dinner, as she had only brought t-shirts and jeans, and a dream. So we explored some of the shops. We had reservations at the Escape room at 4:00pm, and we had to be there exactly at 4 or we would lose our spot. It was probably 3:30 and I kept telling DD that we had to get back on the ship, we had reservations, etc. but she was absolutely set on buying a "nice" shirt or dress.

They really did not have anything good in the shops but she kept pulling out shirts and asking to buy them. I made her try them on and all of them were awful. She really likes the off the shoulder look, but doesn't understand that wearing an off the shoulder top means you have to adjust other things you are wearing. So I kept saying no to everything she tried. Or she would pull our some crocheted half top thing that was actually just a bunch of holes held together with yarn and that was a big no as well.

The woman in the shop kept trying to convince me that whatever top DD was trying on looked great on her. "It looks seeeeeeeexxxxxy!" she said. That was exactly the wrong thing to say to convince a mother to buy ANYTHING for her 15 year old daughter, and I pretty much told her that. So we left. I think I bought a magnet or something.

We were definitely cutting it close on time, and we had to drop our bags at the room. I really needed a bathroom stop (sorry for the TMI but it is important to the story) so I told the kids to run up to the room, drop their bags, and run up to Deck 14 to tell them we were there and that I was coming. It was probably exactly 4 at this point, and I figured we would have a few minutes grace period especially if they were just waiting for me. I told them to go ahead and do it without me if needed, but to GO UP THERE ASAP. It seems like that would be a pretty easy thing to do, but nope.

I got up to the room and the kids were still in the room. DS was in the room and DD was in the bathroom sobbing. I asked what was going on and apparently they had some huge knock down physical fight in the 5 minutes it took to get up to the room. I knew this meant that we had lost our chance at the Escape Room because there was no way they would wait if none of us were there. I told them exactly how much this was costing me, and not to follow me, and that I was done with their nonsense, and I ran up to Deck 14 to see if at least I could still go.

But the door was closed, and there was no way to get in. We had missed it.

The kids were texting me all kinds of "I'm sorry" messages, well DD was, DS just asked me if the stones in one of my rings were real (really, where on earth did that come from and NO that was like a $10 ring from Amazon).

I went to Guest Services and explained that we had been late coming back and missed our Escape Room time, and was there any possibility of rescheduling or possibly getting a refund. I figured there was no hope of either one, but it couldn't hurt to ask. I was told the Activities manager would call me later. Again I figured there was no way anything would come of this and was bummed but OK with it.

I wandered around a bit, making DD and DS stew a bit (or so I thought). I went to the Solarium for sail away and took some photos.

I finally went up to the room after maybe 45 minutes and both of them were asleep. Whatever. I took some photos of sail away from the balcony.

33619663048_255a1aaa61_k.jpg

47496503321_c682ecb57d_k.jpg

Then I decided to go to the Solarium to get better photos. Obviously this is when the special helipad access was happening, most likely for suite or top tier guests.

47496507851_384ee4d29b_k.jpg

46772814974_b62bfb5aa4_k.jpg

The Solarium had become my favorite place to be for sunset, so I went there every night. Most people had left, the chairs were almost all empty, and you could watch the sunset no matter where it was (relative to the ship, I mean, obviously it was always in the west) because you are at the front of the ship. Other people had the same idea, but not as many as you'd think. Sometimes I wore my bathing suit and sat in the pool with a glass of Prosecco, reading, sometimes I just took photos.

Before going back to the room that evening I took some more photos, which I think I shared earlier, of the pool deck at night.

33619684618_a31edc57cf_k.jpg

40516831603_f948909081_k.jpg

40517873373_77e6d75a7d_k.jpg

I actually have dinner photos, yay! I am sure I had the Casear salad again. Then I ordered the Steak Diane, and the Mushroom Risotto. The steak was good, the risotto was ok.

33619689898_99eb4ee2af_k.jpg

32554365197_7d2cc11e18_k.jpg

DD or DS had the Chicken Parmigiana

47443553272_178b12252b_k.jpg

And for dessert we all had the Warm Chocolate Cookie and it was amazing.

46772839564_33a0b3d364_k.jpg

Tonight was the 80's party on the Promenade, so DD and I tried to get our spot to watch everyone. Turns out more people had the same idea, but we managed to get a good view for a while.

33619707708_abdb333aca_z.jpg

But we had bigger and better plans for the evening. We had reservations for Hiro. Now, if you have been reading along, you have noticed a pattern with me and reservations. I was determined NOT to be late to this one. DS was at the Teen Club but I told him he had to come to the show. DD and I went EARLY (for us) and of course the place was almost full.

The Key: When we got to the Aqua Theater, they scanned us for reservations. I mentioned that we had The Key and she sort of pointed to where we should go. There was another woman, farther down, standing next to a whole row that was empty. I asked if this was the section for The Key, and she said yes. You guys, the whole row was empty. It was the middle section, kind of toward the back but not technically IN the back, and it was all open. We flashed our wristbands and took our seats right smack in the middle of the row. This was a GREAT location, amazing seats, and definitely a worthwhile perk of having The Key.

I started texting DS and telling him he had better hurry because any second she was going to open up the row to the masses. There was a long standby line, and I knew it was only a matter of time before they were let in.

It was tight, but he made it just before they opened up the row, and oddly enough the row never really filled up. I think it was still closed off on the side where the standby line was (left) but open on the other side? I don't know.

Anyway, it was time for Hiro. Hiro is like Cirque Du Soleil meets the high dive team. No, it is better than that. By far. I am not really a Cirque Du Soleil person but I am definitely a Hiro person now! Once again they knocked it out of the park. This show was amazing. I cannot believe they can dive from such heights into such a small pool. It reminded me of those cartoons where the guy dives into a cup of water. That is basically what this show is. Or part of it, anyway.

I don't want to spoil it, so I'll just share 2 videos and some photos.

47496549471_cd704332d1_k.jpg

46581108705_7f79a1aa36_k.jpg

33619737908_55a9df61c8_k.jpg

40530510793_3cc2c3b666_k.jpg

33619782478_1f332a1f78_k.jpg

I wish this guy were doing a cannonball, because that would be amazing, but I am pretty sure it was a flip.

47443653452_58a1ecef3a_k.jpg

46765946274_6f699bafff_k.jpg

32554464657_361048a1b2_k.jpg

Just see all the shows. All of them.

After Hiro I think DS went back to the club for a bit, and DD and I wandered. I don't think I've talked about these yet. It is like a giant iPad, and they are on every floor. They are fully interactive, and you can search for info, find activities, see what's going on and where, etc. Just tap the "Main Menu" button on the bottom and it takes you to a screen where you can search for anything and everything. Really cool!

46581411945_59d0b28318_k.jpg

It had been a LONG day, and we would be waking up in St. Thomas tomorrow. This guy was waiting in our room.

46773176294_42a16deb85_z.jpg

We hadn't got a new breakfast ordering thing to hang on the door, and I stopped in at guest services to ask about it. They said they would have housekeeping bring one up to us. OR maybe they said to call housekeeping? Its blurry now. At any rate, housekeeping came and delivered like 12 breakfast menus. I thought about filling out all of them and hanging them on all the doors on our end of the hallway but I figured they might not appreciate that. Plus how am I supposed to know what everyone wants for breakfast?

We decided to try the pancakes this time, since the eggs etc. were a disappointment. It is pretty difficult to mess up pancakes, right?

Last edited:

Oh no, I worry for you on the pancakes! I am a very picky pancake eater though haha

Loving the review!

The woman in the shop kept trying to convince me that whatever top DD was trying on looked great on her. "It looks seeeeeeeexxxxxy!" she said. That was exactly the wrong thing to say to convince a mother to buy ANYTHING for her 15 year old daughter, and I pretty much told her that.

Ha! Clearly this woman doesn't have a daughter…or. at least I hope she doesn't!

I got up to the room and the kids were still in the room. DS was in the room and DD was in the bathroom sobbing. I asked what was going on and apparently they had some huge knock down physical fight in the 5 minutes it took to get up to the room.

Sounds about right. I can see my two totally doing that :crazy2:

I finally went up to the room after maybe 45 minutes and both of them were asleep. Whatever. I took some photos of sail away from the balcony.

33619663048_255a1aaa61_k.jpg

Pretty :love:

Hiro is like Cirque Du Soleil meets the high dive team. No, it is better than that. By far. I am not really a Cirque Du Soleil person but I am definitely a Hiro person now! Once again they knocked it out of the park. This show was amazing. I cannot believe they can dive from such heights into such a small pool. It reminded me of those cartoons where the guy dives into a cup of water. That is basically what this show is. Or part of it, anyway.

That's amazing! looks like a great show!

I have no proof, and I'm not a salesperson but extending the word "sexy" to "seeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxy" generally increases sales by 300%. Again, I have no true basis for this observation, and this doesn't take into accounts teens shopping with their parents.

Also, if you ever go to Vegas, get tickets for "O". As amazing as the aqua shows are, "O" is even more so, and you can definitely see where Hiro got inspiration from.

Having fun keeping up with your review here an on CC! I must ask this most important question - logistically - are you typing this all up in a word document or something and posting to both places? And where are you hosting your photos? (Which are awesome btw).

I am SOOO sorry that your kids made you miss the escape room...(they didn’t fight on the entire murder van trip they couldn’t contain it anymore?)...I would be so unhappy with them - not sure I could contain my anger as well as you! But I love escape rooms and it’s one of the main things I want to do on board!

One last thing - we have not been able to reserve it ahead of time. Did you? Or was it reserved on board?

Oh no, I worry for you on the pancakes! I am a very picky pancake eater though haha

Loving the review!

Thanks!

Stay tuned to find out about the pancakes. I'm really making this more dramatic than necessary, but oh well. ;)

Ha! Clearly this woman doesn't have a daughter…or. at least I hope she doesn't!

Right? "Oh, it looks SEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXYYYY? Well in that case let's get 3 of them! Gotta get this girl married off before she becomes an Old Maid!"

I have no proof, and I'm not a salesperson but extending the word "sexy" to "seeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxy" generally increases sales by 300%. Again, I have no true basis for this observation, and this doesn't take into accounts teens shopping with their parents.

Also, if you ever go to Vegas, get tickets for "O". As amazing as the aqua shows are, "O" is even more so, and you can definitely see where Hiro got inspiration from.

You may be onto something with the "seeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxy" thing. But man, she said it to the wrong person.

I will keep that in mind about "O". Last time I was in Vegas there was a huge, horrible dust storm and it kind of ruined the desert for me. But that was like 20 years ago so maybe it is time to try again.

Having fun keeping up with your review here an on CC! I must ask this most important question - logistically - are you typing this all up in a word document or something and posting to both places? And where are you hosting your photos? (Which are awesome btw).

I am SOOO sorry that your kids made you miss the escape room...(they didn’t fight on the entire murder van trip they couldn’t contain it anymore?)...I would be so unhappy with them - not sure I could contain my anger as well as you! But I love escape rooms and it’s one of the main things I want to do on board!

One last thing - we have not been able to reserve it ahead of time. Did you? Or was it reserved on board?

Thanks!

And thanks for asking the real questions. I am typing it up here, then copying everything over there. Since I can edit these posts here, but not there, I can go back and get the... code? I guess? So I don't have to manually add all of the photos and videos again. Just one big copy and paste. It is a little messier over there, if you've noticed, because when I forget something I can add it to the right place here, but I have to make a new post there. Pictures are hosted on Flickr and videos are on Vimeo.

Now you know all of my secrets. Well, not all. There are some things a girl won't share with just anybody.

I love Escape Rooms, too, and so does DD. Ooooh that reminds me I never provided closure on that situation. Got to add that in when I write up the next part.

Last time I did a report I took notes the whole time so I wasn't this forgetful when I typed it up. This time I am relying on my pictures to remind me of things, but that is not working out so well.

I booked the Escape Room in advance in Cruise Planner. Keep checking, it should show up. When do you sail?

I am so loving this trip report! Thank you! We wet sail in 60 days on the Symphony. I can’t wait. This will be our first Royal Caribbean cruise.

I booked the Escape Room in advance in Cruise Planner. Keep checking, it should show up. When do you sail?

We cruise April 13th (so really soon!). It’s still not in the cruise planner - I have checked almost every day for months and months. A few others on my roll call are also watching for it and one called RC. Phone reps will say anything whether it’s true or not but she said that they wouldn’t be releasing it ahead of time and it would need to be booked on board...the week before and after us also don’t have it in the planner...beyond frustrating!

And thanks for the details on the posting process! The CC edit timer is terribly unforgiving...I usually do live reviews on CC because I can upload photos directly there but we will see how this cruise goes having friends on board and also being in single parent mode with my 8 year old (I don’t know how you do it on such a regular basis and with teens no less!). The only upside to my trip is that I get a brake from the quickly becoming hormonally unstable 12.5 year old boy!

I am so loving this trip report! Thank you! We wet sail in 60 days on the Symphony. I can’t wait. This will be our first Royal Caribbean cruise.

Lucky you! You will love it!!! Thanks for reading along :D.

We cruise April 13th (so really soon!). It’s still not in the cruise planner - I have checked almost every day for months and months. A few others on my roll call are also watching for it and one called RC. Phone reps will say anything whether it’s true or not but she said that they wouldn’t be releasing it ahead of time and it would need to be booked on board...the week before and after us also don’t have it in the planner...beyond frustrating!

And thanks for the details on the posting process! The CC edit timer is terribly unforgiving...I usually do live reviews on CC because I can upload photos directly there but we will see how this cruise goes having friends on board and also being in single parent mode with my 8 year old (I don’t know how you do it on such a regular basis and with teens no less!). The only upside to my trip is that I get a brake from the quickly becoming hormonally unstable 12.5 year old boy!

When I was doing my Alaska report I started out live, since I could upload the photos directly. So much easier! This is a huge pain in the behind, which is why it is taking so long for me to get it done.

Sailing with friends can either be great or terrible. Mostly it has been great for us, so hopefully for you as well! I am sure if my kids had friends along they would not have fought as much.

Lucky you, a break from the almost-teen!! Enjoy it!!!!

@nancy drew - Still very much enjoying your report, and your awesome writing style! Why don't I believe your closing "pretty difficult to mess up pancakes, right?" :rotfl2:

So - had the Barq's Diet Cream Strawberry today at the AMC, and thought of you (hope that's not creepy - LOL). Even told my friend WHY I was having it, she chuckled and said "You and your online people". Thought it was pretty darned tasty, thank you! Tasted much more of the strawberry than the cream. Didn't try the cream/orange because we were running late. The soda was better than the movie (Dumbo) unfortunately/ Not bad, just disappointed nowhere near as good as I'd hoped, got rather boring at times.

And thanks for asking the real questions. I am typing it up here, then copying everything over there. Since I can edit these posts here, but not there, I can go back and get the... code? I guess? So I don't have to manually add all of the photos and videos again. Just one big copy and paste. It is a little messier over there, if you've noticed, because when I forget something I can add it to the right place here, but I have to make a new post there. Pictures are hosted on Flickr and videos are on Vimeo.
If it helps, when I write a report I use a google doc to put the whole thing together, but I usually put picture links in place of the actual picture so I know where to point to. Day of, I try to summarize everything in point form notes, then clean it up after the fact. And then I add in animated gifs, because you don't get enough pictures, and really, would a trip report be made worse by having an animated gif? I say
211560.gif

Day 5! St. Thomas!

As I was replying, I realized I hadn't included a few important details. I'll add them in above, but I'll include them here as well.

When I had returned to the room after talking to Guest Services, the phone rang. It was the Activities Manager, calling about the Escape Room. I explained again that we had come back from our excursion late and we were rushing but did not make it on time, and was there any chance we could reschedule or possibly get a refund. She said there were no spots left (so if you want to do the Escape Room book it in advance or as soon as possible on the ship because this is very popular, apparently) but she would gladly give us a refund. I thought that was a great example of excellent customer service, and I thanked her over and over. She really did not have to do that, we missed our reservation, but maybe the fact that I was polite and apologetic helped? When I was at Guest Services I heard some other people really giving the GS person hell over something that was not remotely under their control (they were unhappy that their excursion left later than planned and that lunch on the excursion was served late). They must see the worst of people in Guest Services. They would see worse from me later, though it was over something that was more within their control.

So on to day 5. There is something else I forgot to include but will in a moment, as it is both about The Key and exiting the ship in port.

But first, Compasses!

40530191833_762d727747_h.jpg

46580838565_9b7c2fed37_b.jpg

47496314571_57a10872d8_b.jpg

40530196223_0e49bf5cf8_b.jpg

We had to wake up earlier today, as we were supposed to meet on the pier at 8:15 for our excursion. We had booked the Buck Island snorkel through Royal. This was the only excursion I had booked through RCI, actually. FYI, if you book excursions through Royal in Cruise Planner, keep checking the price. This excursion dropped in price during one of the "sales", so I cancelled and rebooked at the new price.

I woke up with the alarm and checked out where we were. Hello, St. Thomas!

46581426395_91c07707a4_z.jpg

We got our call that breakfast was on the way, so I roused the teens and before we knew it, breakfast had arrived. I set up my plate on the balcony, and I think maybe DS joined me but probably DD ate in her bed again.

46773187914_b426ed756c_k.jpg

You will all be happy to know that the pancakes were much better than the eggs etc. from the day before. I forgot to order butter. You had to order butter and syrup separately, silly me I only ordered the syrup. We finished eating and headed off the ship. Don't forget the Sea Pass cards!

Now here's what I forgot to mention yesterday, and one of the other things I had been discussing at Guest Services on Day 4.

The Key: When reading the benefits of The Key, it sounds like you get priority debarkation at all ports of call. The wording, however, is quite nebulous, and inconsistent. Let's review, from the Key letter in our room, the confirmation email I received from RCI, and Royal's own website:

33626546908_c0ce4606f7_h.jpg

46587889395_d8893896cf_h.jpg

32561165177_6bc5d9d95d_h.jpg

So it sounds like Key guests get priority when leaving the ship in ports of call, no? Now, I don't especially care about this, but since it is a listed benefit I wanted to try it, especially in St. Kitts when there was a massive herd of people exiting all at once. I looked everywhere and could not see any priority line, or any sign for where we were supposed to go, nor had it been communicated how the "priority" would work. Never saw a line or anything for debarking in a port of call. I have heard it is only for tender ports, but doesn't the wording sound like it is for all ports?

So when I was talking to Guest Services about the Escape Room, I also asked about this, not in a "WHERE WAS MY PRIORITY DEBARKATION" way, but in a "Hey, I was looking and I didn't see it, could you let me know how to get this priority debarkation?" Well the guy said "Oh no, that's only when the cruise is over." I said "No, it is at ports, see this email from Royal Caribbean?" "Oh no, that is only for tendering ports." Well I pushed back a little and said "But it doesn't say that, it says 'ports of call'". Well he made some phone calls and apologized and said we would have priority debarkation if I just said something to the crew members as we were leaving. But there were no crew members anywhere except as you are actually exiting the ship. Like at the doorway, checking your Sea Pass card. At which point there is no need for priority because you are 4 steps away from exiting the ship. So it never happened. This was not a benefit to us at all but we pretty much did not need it as it never took long to get off the ship.

So I looked for the priority debarkation again when we were leaving St. Thomas, just to see if I had missed it during the mass exodus in St. Kitts, and did not see anything. But it didn't matter because there were no masses leaving this time.

Welcome to St. Thomas!

32554709777_f1bfb17b82_k.jpg

We found the people holding signs for our excursion, and lined up. There were 2 excursions lined up here, and we then split into 2 lines.

We boarded the catamaran and headed out to Buck Island. We would be visiting 2 sites: one where we might see turtles, one where we would see a shipwreck. When we sailed on DCL we visited Grand Cayman and snorkeled over a shipwreck, and it was really cool. So this sounded really cool, too!

It took 20-30 minutes to get over there, and we were sitting in the shaded part of the catamaran because I had this weird sunburn. Does anyone else get that? I feel like when I look at other people sunning themselves they are 100% evenly tan, and I look like a patchwork quilt. I had sunburn in lines on my upper arms up to my shoulders, plus like one blotch near my wrist, and my chest was 100% red, my knees were sunburned, I had blotches of sunburn on my back... why does this happen to me? I swear I use sunscreen and reapply often!

We have our own snorkel masks. I really do not like the snorkel thing that goes in my mouth. Not only for sanitary reasons, but just because. It always gets misaligned with the mask, there is so much adjusting, etc. And I just don't like having it in my mouth.

So we use these:

71fNh45gRcL._SL1500_.jpg

I do not work for the company or anything like that. It has just changed snorkeling for us. Nothing in your mouth, full view of the water, etc. I really like these masks!

Mask in action:

32520480547_4aa389cb4f_k.jpg

I think the first place we went was the shipwreck. I could be wrong. It doesn't really matter, right? So there were 2 "guides" but one seemed to be more in charge than the other. Once we got to the spot, he was all business. They had been handing out masks, fins, and vests, and everyone was getting ready, and it seemed like everyone else was ready WAY faster than we were (you probably guessed that would happen). My fins were a bit too big, so remember to try them on as soon as they give them to you, because when I asked for a new pair I was told "Hmmm, that seems to be the most popular size, I don't think we have any left!"

Well she searched high and low and found... one. Meanwhile the 2 guides had divided people up into groups and my kids were already out snorkeling and I had no idea which group they were in. Some people were already coming back up, mostly kids who for one reason or another were already done. Luckily one of them was wearing the fins I needed, so she handed them off to me and I hurried up and got out there.

The good thing about us wearing our own masks is it is VERY easy to spot my kids. And we all go our separate ways, then come back together, then swim away, etc. So it is nice to be able to look up and make sure I can still spot them. When everyone has the same snorkel that is not as easy.

My snorkel photos stink. the only time I can get good under water photos is when it is really sunny and really shallow. It was neither of those things. Well it was kind of sunny, but it wasn't shallow. The photos look dark, because of whatever setting I was using on this camera. Ugh I don't like these. So here. (Imagine me dumping a pile of photos in your lap and stomping off.)

40530934793_da8c2e5913_k.jpg

The shipwreck was actually really cool. At one point there was a barracuda but I don't think I got any photos of it. I think that was right when I joined the group.

32554874997_e9f4ba3e1d_k.jpg

46773352194_5b2e5a10ac_k.jpg

So the one guide, the one who seemed more in charge, dove down to the ship, which completely freaked me out because it was far down there!!! So naturally I did what anyone would do, I took photos.

47444013562_a49d45617f_k.jpg

40530913483_bec3a67b7b_k.jpg

40530913483_bec3a67b7b_k.jpg

I don't know what he was doing down there. Maybe just showing off. After I took this photo I swam away because I couldn't take it anymore. I'm that person who, when I see someone on TV who is under water, I hold my breath as though *I* am also under water. It makes me crazy.

32554799267_a4f6d28da8_k.jpg

It was cool, but there weren't many fish. We did see some as we came back to the catamaran.

46779893774_ea06874901_k.jpg

We called these "Baby Narwahls"

46779893774_ea06874901_k.jpg

Then we were all called back into the catamaran so we could go look for turtles. This time I had all of my equipment, so while I waited for others to get in the water, I was mostly with the group this time.

It wasn't long before someone spotted turtles.

46780069224_eded9874c4_k.jpg

33627080758_9087eff15a_k.jpg

We left them to go explore some. The guy dove down again, but this time he had a purpose.

33627080758_9087eff15a_k.jpg

He was picking up a conch shell that turned out to have a hermit crab in it and fire coral on the outside.

46588357215_c6420b4241_k.jpg

46588565725_c4cd46c4c0_k.jpg

We saw some striped fish.

47462260811_a8f695db89_k.jpg

There was a blue fish that was really pretty. DD and I followed it around for a while. It looks like everything else in this photo. Can anyone recommend a good under water camera? I need a new one.

32520221107_633045a232_k.jpg

46546855685_a234d1e9ce_k.jpg

I guess this one is OK, but it is just coral. But you can tell it was shallower here, which is why this turned out better.

47409040172_b59e84d1b4_k.jpg

There were other fish, but it wasn't terribly exciting.

47462342231_72820ddb8c_k.jpg

DS spotted a stingray, so I went over to see that.

47450580322_554be027f8_k.jpg

At some point the guy dove down again. This time maybe he was just showing off, but it was actually cool so I'll allow it.

40538002163_1511849111_k.jpg

Once everyone was back on the catamaran they hoisted the sails and poured the rum punch and we sailed back to the pier. This took a while longer than the way out there, and DD and DS were still sitting under the catamaran roof so they were kind of inside. I had gone out to take photos, and stayed there. I went back to check on them and DS had his eyes closed and said he was feeling super seasick. I told him to have a soda and come out on deck and look at the horizon. I know soda helps me a lot when I am feeling nauseated, and fresh air and looking at the horizon help me when I am feeling seasick. Sitting inside and closing your eyes is just about the worst thing you can do when you feel seasick. So I got him a Sprite and dragged him out. oh and I had him press on the pressure point that is supposed to help with seasickness, where the Sea Bands press. I have no idea what DD did in there the rest of the time. DS and I stood on deck watching us slowly sail back to St. Thomas. He did start to feel a lot better before we got back, so some combo of all of my wacky home remedies must have helped.

47496918761_d5fea37df4_k.jpg

You can see another cruise ship here, and there was another one behind it. NCL and Princess were there, but this isn't where we were docked. We were in another port, and we were the only ones there.

47496923911_8632362bb6_k.jpg

47443943302_dc5f4a7c7d_k.jpg

46581468185_bc6c849a0c_k.jpg

46581491595_47a5b2003b_k.jpg

And then finally, FINALLY, we saw our ship.

40530865523_3c7ba6a27f_k.jpg

46773250764_91bdd7a635_k.jpg

We got off the catamaran and explored the shops nearby. I had promised DD another attempt at finding dinner clothes that weren't "seeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxy" and we had plenty of time to explore.

I had posted some thoughts about the excursion, but I feel bad. I'm going to ask my kids what they thought of it. I think I had different expectations.

So as we were walking from the catamaran to the shops, DS (who was now a lot less green than he had been on the boat) pointed out an iguana. I wish I could think of a good caption for this.

47496963431_6836af2fe7_k.jpg

Then we saw more iguanas.

47496963431_6836af2fe7_k.jpg

46773266154_32e7a0b1ef_k.jpg

This was in with the shops and restaurants.

46773262804_89f1b037d5_k.jpg

We looked around a bit, and... DD found a dress! It was beachy, but not "seeeeeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxxy" and we both liked it. It looked a bit like a shapeless sack, but DD said it would be fine with a belt, and she was right. Hooray! We bought a few more souvenirs and headed back to the ship.

46773268194_0b6a9a4842_k.jpg

Not sure where we ate, probably pizza? Then we went back to the room to change and figure out the rest of the day. I sat out on the balcony and watched these pirate ships blast each other with cannons.

46773271414_b16d084d00_k.jpg

Then one of them sailed off to search for treasure, or something.

40530895713_21dfdb7942_k.jpg

St. Thomas is really a pretty place. I'd love to visit again!

46780454374_4bcc74be29_k.jpg

DS went to the Flowrider

40538213933_89152aacc3_k.jpg

Then DS went to the club, and I think DD stayed in the room. I went to the Solarium to sit in the pool and then watch the sunset.

32562031537_ae171db739_k.jpg

I took an obscene number of photos of the sunset, which was less than spectacular, which means I was eavesdropping on someone's conversation and pretending to be smitten with the (lame) sunset. I won't subject you to all of the photos, and I won't share the conversation. It wasn't gossipy, just interesting. They were talking about traveling, and different places, and music, and education.

32562043067_80eac0e616_k.jpg

I texted DS to come back to the room and headed there myself. DS texted me that there was alcohol "there". At first I thought he meant in the club, and I was alarmed. But no, he meant in our stateroom.

46588819995_79c7c0037f_k.jpg

It was from Guest Services, from the guy I had spoken to about the priority debarkation in port and the Escape Room. It was very kind of him to do this. I really wasn't asking for anything or expecting anything. After our cruise I received an email asking for thoughts on our experience, and I made sure to mention his name when asked for any crew members who had done anything to make our vacation better. He was very nice, and again it was so nice of him to do this.

Last edited:
@nancy drew - Still very much enjoying your report, and your awesome writing style! Why don't I believe your closing "pretty difficult to mess up pancakes, right?" :rotfl2:

So - had the Barq's Diet Cream Strawberry today at the AMC, and thought of you (hope that's not creepy - LOL). Even told my friend WHY I was having it, she chuckled and said "You and your online people". Thought it was pretty darned tasty, thank you! Tasted much more of the strawberry than the cream. Didn't try the cream/orange because we were running late. The soda was better than the movie (Dumbo) unfortunately/ Not bad, just disappointed nowhere near as good as I'd hoped, got rather boring at times.

Yay! A convert! So glad you liked it!! I must confess... I had it again tonight, too! I casually mentioned that we could go to Noodles for dinner, and oh my, that's right, they have that soda machine don't they? Ha.

If it helps, when I write a report I use a google doc to put the whole thing together, but I usually put picture links in place of the actual picture so I know where to point to. Day of, I try to summarize everything in point form notes, then clean it up after the fact. And then I add in animated gifs, because you don't get enough pictures, and really, would a trip report be made worse by having an animated gif? I say
211560.gif

HA! I love Ralph Wiggum.

That sounds like a lot of work, but hey, this is also a lot of work so maybe it is just a different lot of work? I don't know, it is late and my brain is fried!!! :crazy:

It was the Activities Manager, calling about the Escape Room. I explained again that we had come back from our excursion late and we were rushing but did not make it on time, and was there any chance we could reschedule or possibly get a refund. She said there were no spots left (so if you want to do the Escape Room book it in advance or as soon as possible on the ship because this is very popular, apparently) but she would gladly give us a refund.

Wow, that was really nice!

They would see worse from me later, though it was over something that was more within their control.

Uh, oh. And now that I read what it was…I can see why that would be frustrating. There's definitely room for improvement there, especially since I assume you paid for that benefit.

We got our call that breakfast was on the way, so I roused the teens and before we knew it, breakfast had arrived. I set up my plate on the balcony, and I think maybe DS joined me but probably DD ate in her bed again.

46773187914_b426ed756c_k.jpg

What a lovely way to have breakfast :love:

We have our own snorkel masks. I really do not like the snorkel thing that goes in my mouth. Not only for sanitary reasons, but just because. It always gets misaligned with the mask, there is so much adjusting, etc. And I just don't like having it in my mouth.

So we use these:

71fNh45gRcL._SL1500_.jpg

I do not work for the company or anything like that. It has just changed snorkeling for us. Nothing in your mouth, full view of the water, etc. I really like these masks!

Mask in action:

32520480547_4aa389cb4f_k.jpg

What?? Those are really nice! I never knew such a thing existed and you have me checking Amazon right now. Though, we leave in 2 days so I don't think we can get them for this time :sad1:

It wasn't long before someone spotted turtles.

46780069224_eded9874c4_k.jpg

:love:

St. Thomas is really a pretty place. I'd love to visit again!

46780454374_4bcc74be29_k.jpg

I'll be there next week for the first time! :cool1:

I texted DS to come back to the room and headed there myself. DS texted me that there was alcohol "there". At first I thought he meant in the club, and I was alarmed. But no, he meant in our stateroom.

46588819995_79c7c0037f_k.jpg

It was from Guest Services, from the guy I had spoken to about the priority debarkation in port and the Escape Room. It was very kind of him to do this. I really wasn't asking for anything or expecting anything. After our cruise I received an email asking for thoughts on our experience, and I made sure to mention his name when asked for any crew members who had done anything to make our vacation better. He was very nice, and again it was so nice of him to do this.

Nice service recovery, RCCL :thumbsup2

What?? Those are really nice! I never knew such a thing existed and you have me checking Amazon right now. Though, we leave in 2 days so I don't think we can get them for this time :sad1:

Okay, this is a first…I've never quoted myself before :oops: I just wanted to come back and say I just ordered those masks from Amazon and they guarantee delivery by tomorrow! Thanks for the tip!

When I had returned to the room after talking to Guest Services, the phone rang. It was the Activities Manager, calling about the Escape Room. I explained again that we had come back from our excursion late and we were rushing but did not make it on time, and was there any chance we could reschedule or possibly get a refund. She said there were no spots left (so if you want to do the Escape Room book it in advance or as soon as possible on the ship because this is very popular, apparently) but she would gladly give us a refund. I thought that was a great example of excellent customer service, and I thanked her over and over. She really did not have to do that, we missed our reservation, but maybe the fact that I was polite and apologetic helped? When I was at Guest Services I heard some other people really giving the GS person hell over something that was not remotely under their control (they were unhappy that their excursion left later than planned and that lunch on the excursion was served late). They must see the worst of people in Guest Services. They would see worse from me later, though it was over something that was more within their control.

When I was going through University I worked part time at Best Buy at the returns counter. Someone could be 1 day past the return policy and come in yelling and screaming and I wouldn't return it. Alternatively, someone comes in one or two months past and really calm and polite, explaining what happened and I would do what I could to get them a store credit. The yeller and screamer would likely get their way by going up the chain....but not from me....it was my own absurd way of teaching people some manners. Who knows if it worked (probably not) but I always told the polite people the only reason I was doing it was because they were acting like actual humans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter