The Symphony, The Key, Two Teens, and Me: A March 2019 Review

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day - I don’t know how you made it so long without enjoying a proper breakfast!!

I want to eat at the WJ, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets and maybe El Loco Fresh atleast one time each (and MDR for our Key breakfast!)!!!

I tried to raise the dead (you know who I mean) and only one of them thought this was worth watching

:laughing: I know exactly who you mean!! We still have a hard time waking DS22!! And.... we're usually late getting out the door!!

I decided to film this part, for some reason.

Very neat!! :thumbsup2

So sad the trip and TR are coming to an end!! You are a very good writer and photographer!:)

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day - I don’t know how you made it so long without enjoying a proper breakfast!!

I want to eat at the WJ, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets and maybe El Loco Fresh atleast one time each (and MDR for our Key breakfast!)!!!
I think that after you try places outside the WJ you might not go back. Cruise breakfast buffets always seem to be a zoo. Plus eating breakfast alfresco is great!

I think that after you try places outside the WJ you might not go back. Cruise breakfast buffets always seem to be a zoo. Plus eating breakfast alfresco is great!

Thanks for the heads up about the crazy breakfast buffet! We'll definitely try Johnny Rockets- also interested in the room service option, too!

I don't know how we made it so long, either. We usually get to the buffet for breakfast, especially on excursion days, but it just didn't happen.

We did do the Key breakfast but I was stupid and didn't order what I wanted.

:laughing: I know exactly who you mean!! We still have a hard time waking DS22!! And.... we're usually late getting out the door!!

Very neat!! :thumbsup2

So sad the trip and TR are coming to an end!! You are a very good writer and photographer!:)

Aw, thanks. I have enjoyed writing about it and sharing our vacation with so many people. Unlike all of you imaginary internet people ;), real people don't like hearing all about someone's vacation.

This is part of what kept me away from the buffet, too. We had a hard time finding seats on DCL and I have heard The Jammer is worse.

That breakfast at Johnny Rockets looks nice!

It was good!

Thanks for the heads up about the crazy breakfast buffet! We'll definitely try Johnny Rockets- also interested in the room service option, too!

Don't get the eggs. Go with the pancakes. And don't forget to order the butter and syrup if you want it.)

This is part of what kept me away from the buffet, too. We had a hard time finding seats on DCL and I have heard The Jammer is worse.
WJ (at least on Oasis class) is worse than Cabanas in terms of crowds. Conversely, WJ feels more open because they don't have drink stations that create pseudo-rooms. Well, at least to me it did.

WJ (at least on Oasis class) is worse than Cabanas in terms of crowds. Conversely, WJ feels more open because they don't have drink stations that create pseudo-rooms. Well, at least to me it did.

The one time we walked through it did feel very open, which is funny because technically it was closed :-))). But seriously, it did feel different than other buffets. But again, it was closed so there weren't people there.

With our cruise coming up - I have some questions :) ... if you have any answers in the next few days that would help it would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have any room hacks to help keep the space organized that you recommend? Do you think there would have been enough room if there were 4 people in that room (including the trundle!) or was 3 of you already tricky?

Are there enough towel hooks thru the space for wet bathing suits and whatnot? Are there any doors that you could add an over door hook too? (Usually I put one on the closet doors but not sure that works on the closets on Symphony or if we need it!)

Did you use the hair dryer? Is it stuck to a certain place or can it be moved from the bathroom to cabin and back?

What was the temperature control in your room like? Could you adjust from freezing to not freezing?

With our cruise coming up - I have some questions :) ... if you have any answers in the next few days that would help it would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have any room hacks to help keep the space organized that you recommend? Do you think there would have been enough room if there were 4 people in that room (including the trundle!) or was 3 of you already tricky?

Are there enough towel hooks thru the space for wet bathing suits and whatnot? Are there any doors that you could add an over door hook too? (Usually I put one on the closet doors but not sure that works on the closets on Symphony or if we need it!)

Did you use the hair dryer? Is it stuck to a certain place or can it be moved from the bathroom to cabin and back?

What was the temperature control in your room like? Could you adjust from freezing to not freezing?

Hmmm, let's see.

The magnetic hooks we bought were very useful.

71qvn6yWRZL._SL1200_.jpg

If you hang them on the wall they can hold 16 pounds, and if you hang them on the ceiling they can hold almost 50 pounds. I used these to hang bathing suits in the bathroom (no clothesline and the towel racks hold 2-3 towels), hang our snorkel mask bags, hang my hats, and hang my wraps for evenings/ice shows (it is cold in there). These things are so useful. I use them in my classroom and in my home. I hang aprons and oven mitts on the side of the fridge, hang keys on the magnetic door, etc.

There is really no ventilation in the bathroom, so if you have wet clothes I recommend towel clips to clip things to the balcony furniture.

71WzDaddVSL._SL1500_.jpg

You could also use regular clothespins.

The hair dryer is hiding in the drawer in the main stateroom, not the bathroom. It is not plugged in, so you can use it anywhere.

You could put an over the door hook on the bathroom door, probably.

The temperature varied. Make sure you have completely closed and locked the door or the AC won't work properly. I tend to run hot at night, so it is really tough for me to say whether the temperature was OK. If it was, it wasn't bad enough that I remember it, if that makes sense. I do not think "freezing" was ever an option. We had it set to the coldest possible option and it was medium. However I am not sure we ever properly closed the balcony door. Even when it was supposedly locked, we could pull it open.

As for space, it was fine. I don't like having the bed by the balcony, so I wouldn't knowingly do that again (though if it saved a lot of money like it did this time I would). While it made the bathroom area more open, it made it difficult to get to the balcony. Otherwise the size was fine. DCL rooms are probably bigger, but Symphony rooms are newer and more sleek/modern. I am not sure we would be OK with 4 in there, to be honest, but I am not used to being in a group of 4 people. If I were, I might feel like it was fine. Every hotel and cruise room we have been in, it has been the 3 of us. If I were used to traveling with only one person then had a 3rd, it would feel cramped. So traveling as a family of 3 and imagining a 4th person... it seems cramped. If I were used to it, maybe not?

Ask me more questions. I am terrible at recommending things unprompted. I need a push to get started.

Room hacks
- bring a bungee cord or something to use as a makeshift clothesline in the bathroom.
- I know it's frowned upon to use the balcony to dry clothes so I won't tell you to do anything like have the stuff outside at night when no one will see it and bring it in in the morning.
- I know that some people bring magnetic hooks for hanging stuff. It's not a bad idea, to be honest, but I've never tried it.
- The shower caddy does not hold travel-sized products well at all. Put a facecloth on that rack then put everything on it.
- magnetic whiteboard is a bit old school, but works to tell people where you are. Put it outside your door if you have large groups.
- Those towel clips @nancy drew mentioned are also good for clipping the curtains shut and keeping the light out in the morning.

Day 7 continued

We left Johnny Rockets and headed off the ship. It was nice not being on a tight schedule, since we had docked early and got up early.

33599253738_0ac09e1a6b_k.jpg

It was weird. When we headed down, as we got to the gangway we were diverted and told to go to the next exit... through here...

32583754557_00ef85bc8f_k.jpg

Which was odd, Because it was clearly a crew area, and depressing because those are the luggage cages that would be taking everyone's belongings off the ship the next day.

So, on to our plans for the day.

DD is in 9th grade. Part of her 9th grade graduation requirement is that she has to do at least 10 hours of community service by the end of May. She has taken zero initiative on this and before our vacation she had done 2 hours, because her BFF's mom organized something for their group of friends. I went back and forth. Do I butt in and schedule it (she would probably need me to transport her to most service places)? Do I leave it up to her and let her learn the consequences? Tough parenting call. She tends to ignore her responsibilities and hope they will go away, and that doesn't happen, so then she gets overwhelmed and has no idea what to do. If she would ask for help in the first place this wouldn't happen, but that's a story for later.

So I remembered that sometimes cruise lines have volunteer excursions available. Unfortunately ours had no opportunities (one later popped up but we had plans already). So I did some digging. And I found Hope Floats. I am not affiliated in any way with Hope Floats. I do not get any compensation or benefits for mentioning them. They do not know I am reviewing this cruise, or any of this. This is a genuine recommendation (as was my recommendation for Royston in St. Kitts- which was also unsolicited). Both Hope Floats and Royston are excellent and I want to give back by giving them the credit they deserve.

I contacted Cathy at Hope Floats because all of their Nassau excursions seemed to begin at 9:30am, and we were supposed to dock at 10 and debark at 10:30. I didn't know if it would be OK for us to be "late". She replied that it was no problem, and she thought the Bahamas Humane Society excursion would be a good fit for us. We talked on the phone and agreed to set this up. She called them and made sure we could volunteer for the day, and gave us the go ahead to book this. Yes, you pay to volunteer. No, you are not "getting" anything for your money. No free lunch, no air conditioned bus, not even a murder van. Though I am certain you could find a murder van if you wanted to. Do I know where the money went? No. Do I care? No. Why not? Because they are connecting people with people in need, and that is a good thing, and in one way or another the money is going toward a good thing. And that's what matters, right? Right.

So we left the ship, and went into the port that some describe as "scary" or whatever because there are people "harassing" you (no they are competing for business not harassing you, harassment looks very different and if you don't know that consider yourself lucky). I found a guy who was looking for people to put in a taxi, told him where we were going, and he led us to a taxi van (very different from a murder van as it had actual glass windows). We were with a few other groups who were going to resorts. It felt a little weird going to the Humane Society when everyone else has their bathing suits, beach bags, and towels. I was almost embarrassed, like the others in the van would think we were looking down on them for indulging in an AI resort instead of doing community service like we were. We weren't looking down on anyone, I just hoped it didn't seem like we were.

So off we went through Nassau, on the most perfect day ever. The colors of the Bahamas never cease to amaze me.

47526147421_e27afd2729_k.jpg

32591047417_f959963273_k.jpg

33649378108_ae17ab5675_k.jpg

BTW those were all taken from the van, with my phone, as we were driving. I have no idea how they turned out so amazing.

After a short drive, we arrived at the Bahamas Humane Society.

I swear I had planned on writing this part up tonight but it suddenly is almost midnight and I have been exhausted at work all week. More tomorrow, I hope!

Thanks for the room feedback! Already travel with the magnets and clips! Sounds like that will mostly be enough!

Were the mattresses hard? (Did you already mention this?) Did you ask for a topper or anything?

Wow! Do people from cruise ships adopt the dogs? Because, honestly, I want them all. :D
All kidding aside, what a great way to spend the day and give back!

Thanks for the room feedback! Already travel with the magnets and clips! Sounds like that will mostly be enough!

Were the mattresses hard? (Did you already mention this?) Did you ask for a topper or anything?

The mattress was fairly hard. I didn't ask for anything, but I know some people did in one of the suites.

Wow! Do people from cruise ships adopt the dogs? Because, honestly, I want them all. :D
All kidding aside, what a great way to spend the day and give back!

We wanted to take all of the animals home, too! I was actually wondering whether there was any way to adopt an animal internationally. I imagine it would be very complicated.

Day 7 continued

The taxi pulled up to the Humane Society, I paid our fare, and we climbed out of the (not murder) van.

Now, when I had planned this, we had 3 options: Humane Society, Soup Kitchen, and Salvation Army. I know myself fairly well, and I do not do well with homeless animals. Meaning, I want to take them all home. It breaks my heart to think of all of the animals that do not have homes, or live in tiny spaces, with little to no human interaction. Breaks my heart. So I told DD in no way would we be going to the Humane Society. No no no no. When I spoke with the head of Hope Floats, I told her we would like to work in the soup kitchen. Yes, homeless humans are sad as well, and I understand that people may not understand why I seem to care more about the animals. I guess it is because the animals don't understand their circumstances. Ugh I can't even talk about it. It all makes me sad but I really did not want to go to the Humane Society. But Cathy talked me into it. How could I say no?

I wasn't really sure what to expect, since we hadn't been in contact with anyone actually in the Humane Society. And I hadn't really thought about that until the moment we got out of the taxi. What are we supposed to do here? Who are we supposed to talk to? What are we even going to do for 2-3 hours? I started to feel nervous.

I am going to sidestep here to say there was some information that I did not find out until later, which affected our experience on this day. I hesitated to share any of our experience here because I didn't want to make the Humane Society sound bad, but I wanted to be honest about our experience. Let me be clear: this is not about the animals or their conditions or their treatment. That is not where this is going. The things that made this an odd experience had nothing to do with the animals, and nothing bad happened, and despite how things went I would still recommend this experience to anyone looking to volunteer or adopt an animal in Nassau. So as you read this, keep in mind that there is an explanation at the end, and that at no time did anything bad happen to anyone or any animal and that is not where this story is going. So exhale and read on.

We walked in to what was obviously a veterinarian waiting room. There were 4 or 5 people waiting, all with dogs. There were 2 young men in an enclosed reception cubicle, and one was on the phone. We walked up to the counter and said we were here to volunteer, and he said to have a seat. We admired the dogs in the waiting area. One was a little brown puppy named Chocolate, who was sleeping in a basket. One was a little dog wrapped in a blanket. One was a big dog that barked at any dog who came in to the room. There were a few others who came and went. All of the women with the dogs were very nice.

We waited, and waited. 30 minutes passed, dogs had gone in and out of the waiting room and vet's office, new dogs and owners had come in, and we were still waiting. I was hoping someone would come along soon so we could get started, so DD could get as many hours in as possible.

Finally one of the guys in the cubicle waved us back through a door. He didn't say much, just that this other guy would show us what to do. The other guy walked us through the building, through a smaller building where there were a few animals in smaller cages (this was where the animals who would be having surgery were; the cages weren't their regular homes, but we didn't know that until we walked through later and took a little more time). We went outside, walked past some large outdoor enclosures with dogs, past some other buildings (the whole place is a compound, with several small buildings, shelters, and outdoor enclosures), and over to a cinder block building that had a big dog in a fenced area next to it, and a bathtub on cinderblocks with a tap in the middle.

"You're going to wash some puppies" he said.

"What?" I said. "Um, well, part of that sounds OK, but part of that is a little bit of a concern because we have never washed animals before."

"No problem," he said. "Its just like you wash yourself."

No. It is NOT just like you wash yourself. It is nothing like how I wash myself. I do not try to claw my way out of the tub, screaming, only to be picked up and put back by a giant.

But we were up for helping in any way possible, so he handed me a jug of soap, fished 3 puppies out of a small enclosure, and went about his work cleaning out their little area.

Have you ever bathed a puppy? How about three of them at the same time, with people (including yourself) who have never bathed animals before?

Hilarity ensued.

I have no idea how to bathe puppies. But this is what we did.

I sort of wet the puppies first, cupping water in my hand and rubbing it on the puppies' backs, thinking that was probably a good way to begin. The puppies did not think this was a good way to begin.

I had no idea how to hold down a puppy and get soap out of a big heavy jug, so I put the jug in the bathtub (we didn't fill the bathtub, just let the water run with the drain open), opened the jug, tipped it to the side, stuck my fingers in there and smeared soap on DD and DS's hands. As I was doing this the puppies tried to climb out, we picked them up and put them back, they tried to get out, etc. And they were yelping and whining.

Meanwhile the big dog in the fenced in area next to us decided this would be a great time to escape. The fence was about 4 feet high on one part and very tall in other parts. The dog basically climbed the short part and just scooted itself up... up... up... and over the fence. The guys in the building didn't see it happening because they were very busy and they were inside so I started calling to them "Hey, HEY! HEY the dog is getting out, the dog over here, its climbing out of the fence... hey... um, its over the fence....!" and finally one guy came out.

"I knew the dog was crazy but I didn't know he was that crazy." And he calmly took the dog and actually I have no idea what he did because I was trying to keep 3 puppies in the tub.

So we managed to soap them up and then we cupped water in one hand while holding the puppy with the other hand and rinsed them off. I have no idea if that is how you do it but that is how we did it. DS and DD had no idea what they were doing, and were constantly just laughing and going "Aaaah, AAAAAH! MOM! Its trying to get out, help... HELP!!" and I had to try to help them but also keep my puppy in the tub and in case you can't tell it was like some sitcom moment but we were actually living it.

This makes it look so calm and peaceful and in all honesty I have no idea how I managed to get a photo of this.

47486994062_d7b362a0c4_k.jpg

But then how do you dry off 3 puppies? I don't know how I actually managed to do this and not have it end in disaster but I think I had DS hold my puppy down and his puppy, and I grabbed a towel, then gave it to one of the kids and lifted the puppy into the towel and they wrapped it around the puppy. Maybe, or maybe I did it myself and handed them the toweled puppy bundle. I don't know. It was chaos.

We gave the guy back the clean puppies (I wish we had snuggled them a bit more but we weren't really thinking clearly) and he handed us another round. These puppies were smaller, and younger, than the first set.

I felt so so so bad for these puppies. They were screaming. Screaming. They hated the bath so so so much. They were trying to get out even more than the first round of puppies. We were talking gently and calmly to them but that did nothing. We managed to get them soaped and rinsed and toweled, but as I was drying mine off I noticed fleas. I pulled back the towel and there were fleas everywhere. I looked at DS's puppies and there were also fleas everywhere. DD had given her clean and dry puppy back already but it likely had fleas, too.

I tried to wash the 2 puppies we still had again. I looked at the directions on the soap and it said "For best results leave on for 5-10 minutes." No, that's not happening, but I tried my best to keep the soap on for a while. But they were soooooooo unhappy with this idea. I tried my previous method of rinsing which was cupping water and rubbing the puppy with the water but that wasn't getting the fleas off. I held the puppy's back in the water stream to try to wash off any dead fleas and that puppy did not appreciate my efforts. We tried to wash DS's puppy again at the same time and it was the same thing.

I couldn't get the fleas off. There were just so many of them.

I suddenly had visions of us bringing fleas back and infesting the ship, and infesting the airplane, and infesting our home... I have no idea how fleas work but I was not interested in finding out.

I wrapped up my puppy and snuggled and did more calm quiet talking and got her calmed down, but I was still so freaked out about the fleas I wanted to give her back to the guy. I told him they were covered in fleas and we couldn't get them off and all he said was "Oh, they're supposed to have had their shots." And that's it. He put them back in the cage. We picked fleas off ourselves and I asked the kids if they wanted to try something else and they said yes.

I asked if we could do something else, and he walked us back to one of the main buildings.

We waited in the hallway for a while as he disappeared into some room. A woman walked by, and she was wearing a name tag with her name on it (of course). Her name rang a bell, and I realized it was the name the woman from Hope Floats had told me would be a contact for verifying DD's community service hours at school. I stopped her and said we were here from Hope Floats, and that we had been washing puppies but they had fleas so we were hoping to do something else, and I thought maybe she would take over for the guys who didn't seem to know what they were doing. She did not, however. She said that perhaps the guy who was helping us (whose name I did not know) would have us walk some dogs. Sure enough, as though she had summoned him, a new guy came out of a room with leashes and said we were going to walk some dogs. Ok, we don't really have much experience with that either, but at least we won't get fleas.

So he rounded up 3 dogs. DS got a dog who had free reign over the whole complex. DD got a mama dog. I got a dog that had a LOT of energy. A LOT. The guy took us out through a parking area that had cars and trucks of people who worked there, on a dirt and gravel area. As we walked through, we noticed that under every single car and truck, hiding in the shade, was a cat. We had noticed a few cats roaming the property, and here were a bunch more. I have no idea if they belonged to the Humane Society or not. Maybe they just know this is a place that animals hang out? Maybe they belong to people but come here to get extra food sometimes? I still don't know. It was really funny to see, though.

The guy told us to go down the sidewalk, around the bend, and to the big open area.

"[This dog] knows where to go. He will show you the way."

Ok.

So off we went. DS immediately fell in love with his dog and nicknamed him Burger. Burger was pulling at the leash to go faster, so DS ran with him a bit. My dog was pulling at me to go faster, and I wanted to run, but DD's dog seemed more timid. You can see how far behind she was.

32596957727_d7e125f4eb_k.jpg

DD tried to encourage her, but she kept stopping and trying to turn back. I took my dog back and tried to get the mama dog to go along with "the pack" but she was having none of it. We really tried, but we are super inexperienced so DD just walked her back.

DS and I ran our dogs around the bend to the open area, where they walked around and did their business. The neighborhood was beautiful, and if you have ever driven through Nassau we were near the Ardastra gardens/zoo that is one of the excursion options on many ships. In fact, unbeknownst to me, a friend had just been in Nassau a day earlier, on the Dream, and had gone to Ardastra, and had passed the humane society and heard about it from her tour guide.

Our dogs were done, so we went back to the Humane Society.

The dogs were returned to their places and we were told we would be going to the thrift store. As we were walking thorough the complex, we said we really didn't have experience with dogs, but were very comfortable with cats. He showed us the "teenage cats" house, and then the kitten house and I guess we must have had a big reaction because he ditched the thrift store idea and said we could just hang out and play with the kittens to help socialize them. Fine by me!!!

I don't know how many kittens were in there, maybe 10-15, and to be fair most were probably closer to a year old, so not really what you think of when you hear the word "kittens" but they were still very playful and curious. This was very familiar territory for us as we have 2 cats at home, so we just dove right in. Within a few minutes DD had a kitten in her lap and DS was playing with a few kittens.

40573765073_3832a27468_k.jpg

They had named all of the ones that were interacting with us.

We named this one Mittens, for obvious reasons.

46802529014_f617f73195_k.jpg

We have nicknamed one of our cats at home "Mittens" for similar reasons, though she is polydactyl so she really does have "mittens".

We probably stayed there for an hour, just playing and petting them. I tried to get some of the shy ones to open up, and a few of them did. There were a bunch of cats in one corner, sleeping and just being lazy, so I went over there to see them. There was a table there, that had a shelf down under it, maybe a foot off the ground. A few cats were on the table and a few cats were on the shelf.

While I was petting one of the cats who was on the floor over there, a cat emerged from under the table and startled me for 2 reasons. 1) I had no idea it had been under the shelf, and 2) it looked like a watered down version of one of our cats!

46816107824_65d148b7e3_k.jpg

Our cat:
47539808381_c2dcf5212f_k.jpg

46816143564_9bbd4be44c_k.jpg

She is the polydactyl, who has mittens:

46816166324_1e5e2f3521_k.jpg

And for good measure, our other cat, who looks like a kitten but will be 17 years old next month:

46624357505_2aa49b8fc4_k.jpg

Back to the Humane Society...

These two were soooooo cute, but when I got close the one that is staring at me ran away.

47539770231_f13b54c4af_k.jpg

We played for a while, and then it was about 1:15. We hadn't had lunch, and the ship was leaving at 3:30, I think. I collect magnets from everywhere we visit, and I wanted a t-shirt, so I decided we should leave. I was getting anxious about having enough time to get to the ship.

We walked back through the buildings, this time we took our time and looked around a bit, and that's when we figured out that the one building was the surgery waiting room, or whatever. There were some TINY kittens in there that were SO SO SO cute!!!!!

We found the guy at the front desk, and said we had to leave, and said thank you, and asked how to get back to the port. He said he would call a taxi.

Now, what I found out later was, the people who were supposed to be "in charge" of us were on vacation, and no one had stepped up to be our volunteer guide.

When we got home, I emailed the founder of Hope Floats, who I had talked to on the phone and via email, who had set this up, and asked about our experience. She told me, and I shared our experience (very, very politely and pretty much the way I did here, which hopefully does not make anyone there look bad). They were supposed to give us a tour of the place, tell us about it, ask us what we wanted to do, and be nearby while we were volunteering. Pretty much none of those things happened. I only knew the names of 2 people there, and one was only because she was wearing a name tag.

I hadn't expected a big welcome party or anything, but in my experience with volunteering there is usually someone there who greets you and is in charge of the volunteers for the day. But those people were on vacation. That's why we waited for 30 minutes. That's why we were thrown into bathing puppies. That's why we didn't know anyone's names, or anything about the facility. That's why the technicalities of volunteering felt disorganized, even though everything else there seemed very organized and well-run. There was no one in charge that day. It happens. The place was obviously still running smoothly. Everyone was busy, animals were taken care of, no one was running around frantically trying to keep it together, it felt like business as usual, which is good because they were doing a great job with all of that! They just didn't know what to do with us, and if that is the worst thing I can say about them, then I consider that no big deal. If anyone feels differently, I could further explain my position.

We rode back to the port. On the way, I saw this sign, and had DD take a photo. Right as we passed this group of people moved in front of it and just stood there, like they were trying to hide it.

47487006892_6f7c2d85ac_k.jpg

46624452315_1a5c38d205_b.jpg

It must really be a secret.

Do any of you know why I thought this sign was funny? Think way back to the 1980's... or maybe 1970's. I'll leave you to ponder that mystery.

Day 7 continued

You guys, I have been burning the candle at both ends and the middle, and it has taken a toll on me, and my writing has sucked as a result. I apologize that you had to read such boring drivel and I promise to bring this back to the standard you have come to expect.

We got stuck in traffic going back to the cruise port, and it was stressing me out. On the one hand I knew we had plenty of time, but we were sitting in a taxi, going nowhere. There is nothing that feels good about that, regardless of how much time you have on your side. There were tons of people walking around, and I wanted to get out and walk, but I wasn't sure how far we were from the port. We eventually started moving and we were dropped off near the entrance to the port.

I could see that a few more ships were in port, which explained all of the people. When I say there were a lot of people, I mean there were a LOT of people. It was very obvious they had all come from cruise ships. I was kind of glad we hadn't done anything else at that point.

I had wanted to do some shopping so we looked at a few of the stands in the port. They mostly only took cash, though, and the one that said she would take credit cards didn't have anything we wanted. So we had to find an ATM, which meant leaving the port. Sigh.

So we went back out of the port and walked over to one of the streets nearby. Just FYI because I know this is often a hot topic on cruise boards: it felt completely safe in the shopping area, and even in the neighborhood where we had walked the dogs, no different from other port areas or neighborhoods. There were shops and restaurants and banks, or homes and sidewalks and grass. There were tourists and locals. Maybe it is because I have lived in the 3rd largest city in the USA all of my life so I do not live in a bubble, but it felt completely safe. I had no qualms walking around a place that had Cartier and Burger King down the block from each other (not that I was shopping at Cartier or eating at Burger King, not that there's anything wrong with that).

I got some cash and we went looking for sweatshirts for DS, because that was what he wanted. Take note: this is the ONE thing you apparently cannot find in Nassau: sweatshirts for men. We did not know this until we looked in at least 7 stores. Hats? Of course, can I interest you in a baseball cap or a fedora? T-shirts? SO MANY T-SHIRTS. Candles? Sure, who doesn't go to the Bahamas to stock up on candles? Seeeeeeeeeexxxxxxy shirts? Most definitely! But sweatshirts for men? Nope.

I was getting antsy about getting back to the ship on time, and I was getting frustrated with DS who would not budge on wanting a sweatshirt even though there were none to be found. "How about a t-shirt?" "No, I won't wear any of these t-shirts." "Perhaps a hat, then?" "No, none of these hats are anything I would wear." We found a mega souvenir shop and I said this was it; find SOMETHING or get nothing. I found a t-shirt, DD found a shirt (not seeeeeeeeeexxxxxxxxy), I found a magnet, and DS decided on a bracelet (which I have not seen since I gave it to him after paying for it). Whatever. We were done.

And then we headed back to the ship. I was still super anxious about boarding on time. It was maybe 2:30 and I think we were scheduled to leave at 3:30 so we had plenty of time, I was just freaking out. The panic had taken over and I was under it's spell. It was an echo from my childhood when my mother would go into a Stage 10 panic both before and at the end of vacations. I don't normally panic on either side of a vacation, unless we are genuinely running late, but there I was less than 10 minutes away from the gangway with more than 60 minutes on the clock feeling like...

tenor.gif

I am going to repeat this again. If you are feeling nervous walking around Nassau's port area because you heard they have a Level 2 warning from the US security or whatever, and you forgot that every other port in the Caribbean has the same warning, and the US itself has a Level 2 warning, and all of Europe has a Level 2 warning, but you heard that Nassau JUST got a Level 2 warning and now you have decided it is completely unsafe even though you never knew there were warning levels before, and now you are not sure you should go beyond that tall gate in the port because there are guys in camp with guns there and why would they be there if it were totally safe here is what you should do: just work yourself into a panic about getting back to the ship on time and not only will people leave you alone, you won't even care that other people are occupying the same space as you.

So in a totally and completely unrelated note because of course I was not panicking or worrying about getting back to the ship on time, I made DD and DS half run back to the port with me. Of course we made it with plenty of time. Just like I knew we would, because what kind of lunatic would panic about getting on the ship on time when they are less than 10 minutes from the actual gangway? Certainly not me!

I have no idea what came over me that day. I should probably apologize to DD and DS. Or maybe just write this off as one of those "Character Building" things I am supposed to do as an investment in their future therapy sessions.

As I mentioned earlier, we had some new neighbors. NCL Bliss had parked next to us, so I took some photos.

40560263383_e7e875ace1_k.jpg

"Mine is bigger than yours"

32583873237_6a2fc87ff1_k.jpg

We got back on board and grabbed some pizza and bought some Symphony of the Seas souvenirs in the Royal shop (BTW they DO have men's sweatshirts here, so save yourself the trouble and shop local), then went up to the room to shower and change. While DD and DS were getting ready I took some more photos from the balcony. I had so many questions about the one random sunbather on the helipad:

47526237871_75e5b594a6_k.jpg

I wonder how many dads made the "Oh I see they parked my boat here for me, how nice!" joke.

33649510868_088d8fb682_k.jpg

40560302933_46a5e9afb5_k.jpg

33649515338_d53c15d39a_k.jpg

I also sat out on the balcony to read and get some sun, rather than trying to find a chair up on the pool deck. I also sat there to watch people return to the ship. We were supposed to depart Nassau at 3:30, but it was 4:00 and people were still lallygagging and taking their sweet time getting to the ship. What is wrong with these people??? Every time I thought the last people had boarded I saw more people with blue towels approaching at a leisurely pace. I would have been sprinting and crying! We didn't leave until 4:30! What is wrong with people????

So anyway, with it being our last night, I wanted some Solarium time. I changed into my bathing suit, grabbed my Kindle, and headed over there. I don't know what the kids did. Who cares about them, it was the last night of MY cruise.

In the elevator I heard some people talking about the Aqua Nation show that was happening tonight. They were saying that it was really lame, not nearly as good as Hiro, "just" a water show, and totally not worth it. This sounded surprising, but I told DD later that we wouldn't go since it sounded pretty bad.

Got a few last photos in the Solarium, and of the hot tub just outside.

46802683044_6d4a6dcfcf_k.jpg

32583950627_22a60a6ab4_k.jpg

It looks so different in different lighting

47473685142_b3541d28e8_k.jpg

I know I shared this already but I miss this pool! My happy place on the ship! I am sorry I did not fully appreciate you last time. I will spend so much more time with you next time. Love you! Miss you!

46802733504_506c09890a_k.jpg

Another fabulous sunset at sea in the golden hour.

47473659662_bf0983dcaf_k.jpg

33649586938_c7d1805487_k.jpg

And slowly walking back to my room to get ready for dinner.

47526398101_4ef59679e8_k.jpg

We packed most of our things at some point, so we wouldn't have to do it later. I have apparently blocked that from my memory.

This was the last time we would dine with Vinko and Shadeik and I Putu. I wasn't ready to go back to planning meals, buying ingredients for meals, forgetting one ingredient and having to run back to the store, cooking meals, watching no one eat the meals, throwing the meals away, and washing all of the dishes. So sad!!!

DD and I ordered Steak Diane with fries, because we could. I am so so so hungry right now and this looks so good. I really need to go get something to eat. Also I highly recommend you just disregard whatever side is offered with your meal and ask for fries. Just do it. Don't wait until Day 7 like I did. Just get the fries. You're welcome.

46802764244_0da1412976_k.jpg

For dessert, DS got the apple pie, which was shocking. He doesn't really do fruit desserts, though he really loves these frozen chocolate covered raspberry things I found at the grocery store. But apple pie? Unheard of.

47473705672_5aecd3484b_k.jpg

DD got the Cherries Jubilee, which was also shocking. I have no idea what part of this dessert sounded good to her, but she ordered it and ate all of it.

47526405111_40136d34a3_k.jpg

I got the beignets, and they were not great. If you've had beignets in Disneyland, you have pretty high standards for beignets, and these did not meet those standards. Get the apple pie or the cherries, I guess. Or at least ask for real whipped cream, because you can.

33649646428_fea3512a42_k.jpg

We gave our serving team extra gratuities and thanked them multiple times because they were so awesome.

While I was researching RCI sailings, I had read all kinds of stories about how "they" will:

1) Harass you about specialty dining all the time from the moment you board.

2) Turn the Main Dining Room into a circus with announcements, songs, yelling, dancing, parades, etc.

3) Try to upsell everything all the time.

None of those things happened. None.

Ok there were 2 parades. They lasted 5 minutes each. The one on the last night is something that happens on every cruise ship I have been on, and it is a celebration of the servers and I see nothing wrong with celebrating them. They work so hard, away from their families, for months at a time, making very little money. I asked Shadeik something about internet, and he said he doesn't get internet on the ship because it costs him $5 a day, or something. He sometimes goes into port and gets free wifi, but that is rare, because he is working breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the Main Dining Room. These guys work so, so hard. They deserve a parade and a dance party once a week, and if you disagree then you should try working a month in their shoes and see how you feel.

We then headed back to the room, full of end-of-vacation misery and unsure of what we would do for the rest of the night.

The saddest sight on the last night.

47473726832_00203dc61d_k.jpg

We were doing self-disembarkation so we didn't have to set our bags out. That was nice, as we could finish packing in the morning with our last minute things. but packing at the end of vacation... yuck. I wish I could just throw everything away at the end of a vacation so I don't have to deal with it. Except the souvenirs. Especially the sweatshirts that no one sells in Nassau.

DS went off to the club, and I went out on the balcony to see if we could see any stars. Usually we couldn't, because of the ship lights and/or cloud cover. But we could see quite a few this night. We could also hear the Aqua show, and the crowd was cheering SO loud! I told DD maybe we should go, since it sounded like people were enjoying it, and maybe it wasn't so "lame" after all. So we ran down there and found a spot right in the middle, standing behind the last row of chairs.

I wouldn't call this "lame" at all. Not even close.

46802801704_9262b2b31e_k.jpg

33649688418_0eef9dfff5_k.jpg

We only saw maybe 10 minutes, but I wish we had seen the full show. Next time!! We stopped in Sugar Beach and took photos, which I already shared, and this photo of the carousel that is worth sharing again.

40509632673_c995d5b4f1_k.jpg

Then we headed down to the Promenade for one last night of fun. We stopped in at karaoke and watched for a bit (I still think they have karaoke ringers on staff because how can everyone be SO good!), then headed to the Bionic Bar. So, here's how it works.

1) Find an iPad at one of the tables, and scan your Sea Pass or WOW Band.

46802816464_c545e4efb7_k.jpg

2) Scroll through the options. You can choose classic drinks, Bionic specialties, or create your own drink. This is not what DD ordered, this is just an example of what happens when you touch one of the options. You can see the ingredients, the proportions, reviews, and comments.

46802822684_7649fa860a_k.jpg

3). Head over to the big screen and the robots, and check out the status of your drink. I don't have a photo of the screen but you can kind of see it here. It shows your spot in the queue, how long until your drink is made, and where it will come out.

46745888374_dfc0154ad8_k.jpg

4). When it is ready, you scan your WOW band or Sea Pass card and it slides to you.

40560509583_4a83388569_k.jpg

DD was not a fan of her drink, unfortunately. Lucky for her it was included in the beverage package, so it wasn't a waste of money.

After that we headed back to the room and got ready for bed. We had to be up and off the ship early tomorrow. Our flight was at 10:30am and I had lots of people freaking me out, telling me there was no way we would make the flight, including Rodolfo. He asked me when my flight was, and when I told him his face did one of these :eek: "No!" he said. "That is so early!"

"Rodolfo, its fine. We will walk off the ship with our bags. It will be fine."

"No, that is so early. That will be really early, I don't know if you can make that."

K, thanks bye.

But of course, that got me going again, and I started worrying. We had sailed 3 times, and all 3 times (in 2 different parts of the country) we had arrived at the airport by 8:30am at the latest. In Vancouver we were so early they wouldn't let us through security, and by the time we did get to go through EVERYONE had arrived at the airport and the line was insane. Try killing 2 hours in an airport before going through security, then 2 more hours before your flight. Not fun.

But yeah, now I was worried. We had The Key breakfast, which was a sit down meal, which takes time, which pushes back the time we can leave.... You know how it goes.

So I was worried.

I was asked else where to reveal the joke from my earlier post.

I did not make this commercial so please disregard any cultural offense. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and early 90's, and this is the stuff that formed my identity. Anyone in a 5 + - age range of me probably knows this reference. People older than me probably all know it. People my age definitely know it. People younger than me probably know the later Calgon slogan for a different product: "Calgon, take me away!"

Whomever Calgon contracted for advertising did their job well.

I don't think I can embed it, so here's the link. This was a thing in my day, and it became part of our language. Don't want to tell your friend where you got that super sweet pair of acid wash jeans? "Ancient Chinese Secret". Can't reveal what you did last night? "Ancient Chinese Secret".

If you didn't grow up with it, it probably just offends you. As it probably should.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter