The Tenth Trip is the Best Trip and Eleven is Nice Too- July and December 2019 PTR *UPDATED 12/5*

Is it bad I'm proud you added an ADR? :laughing: I've never been to Skipper Canteen so I can't wait to hear what you think of it! It will also be fun to try the new place at CSR!
Never! We must supposed one another Disney addictions :lmao:

In case you don't check in again this week, good luck in packing and getting ready and have a GREAT trip!!! :goodvibes
Thank you

Yay for your trip almost being here!

Sounds like such a fun family weekend! I have been loving Holey Moley too!
Not many shows that we can watch as a family, but this one everyone loves.

Looks like a fun family weekend. Nothing to be guilty about getting away from the kids for a few days, but that was certainly a nice way to spend some quality time before the trip.

Skipper Canteen has been on my radar too... I've had ADRs there and canceled in the past, but one of these days! Gran Destino looks really nice. I look forward to hearing about your meal at Toledo!
I think I've cancelled as many times, not this time I will do it this trip. I am really looking forward to Toledo, I hope it's as good as it looks.

Tomorrow is the day, we finally go to Disney World. This is week has just dragged. My mom got in on Wednesday. She even brought me gifts from her recent Disneyland trip:cool1:.

Yesterday was my niece's 1st birthday and we celebrated by going to Medieval Times.

We also found out that my brother, may have a broken hip. He got out of the Marine Corps for a medical discharge after a career ending knee surgery. And now it turns out, he may have had a broken hip all this time as well. Beyond the fact that it sucks for a 26-year-old to have a broken hip, I am afraid this may affect their ability to go to Disney. We have to wait to see what the doctor says, but its the VA, so he'll have to wait awhile before he can get seen. In happier news, last night my sister-in-law announced that she is expecting again. Yay for new babies!! Today is going to be jam packed with me running errands. I got up at 4 am, in order to make myself tired enough that I can get to sleep tonight. Our flight is at 6 am tomorrow, so it'll be a 3 am wake up call. I have one more final PTR update before we leave.

Must Do Disney

For most of my trips, I like to create a Must Do list, or bucket list as a way to experience new things. I can tend to get stuck in a rut and do the same things over and over, because I love them. But it is also nice to do new and different things. Here are my priorities for this trip.

1. Visit a themed bar

We have done Trader Sam’s and loved it, but there are so many fun bars around the world, and I want to try a new one this time.

2. Tom Sawyer Island

I have done 9 trips and never done Tom Sawyer’s island :scared1:, and that needs to change now. I really want to just sit in one of the rocking chairs and relax.

3. Swim at the Dig Site Pool

This probably seems silly, but this pool looks so fun, especially the slide. When we go without kids, we don’t swim, but this time I want to enjoy the pool, especially since it will be so hot.

4. Awesome Mix Tape Live

I actually don’t care about this, but Joe LOVES the music from Guardians of the Galaxy, so I know he will want to see this.

5. Animation Experience

I loved the animation class at DHS, and I hope this one will be just as good.

6.Find Divine

I have never even seen her, I am going to purposefully seek her out this time.

7. Up! a Great Bird Adventure

I know people say this one isn’t as good as the original, but I never saw that one either, so I am willing to give it a try.

8. Try Sleepy Hallow

Getting the Nutella waffle has been on my bucket list for a while, but I haven’t made the time to get it, that changes now.

9. Meet Mickey and Minnie in Birthday Outfits

I just think this is cute and want to do it before it goes away.

10. See Mickey's Friendship Faire

Another thing I haven’t made time for and want to try and catch it this time.

And that is all folks, thanks so much for following along on this PTR. I will be back in a few weeks, hopefully with some more updates for our December trip and to start a TR for this one.

Your must-do list sounds great! I hope you manage to do everything on your list!

I think you'll really like the Dig Site pool - it's very nice! I'm kicking myself that we never used the waterslide when we stayed there - now having used the Grand Floridian slide I've realized how fun the slides are!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! :woohoo:

By the time I read all the updates, you're already in Disney! Hope you're having a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

We also found out that my brother, may have a broken hip. He got out of the Marine Corps for a medical discharge after a career ending knee surgery. And now it turns out, he may have had a broken hip all this time as well.
Oh no!!! That's awful!
Beyond the fact that it sucks for a 26-year-old to have a broken hip, I am afraid this may affect their ability to go to Disney. We have to wait to see what the doctor says, but its the VA, so he'll have to wait awhile before he can get seen. In happier news, last night my sister-in-law announced that she is expecting again. Yay for new babies!!
What a mix of emotions for the family... I know Disney has got to be pretty far down the list of priorities, all things considered, but there's always electric scooters for rent.
I can tend to get stuck in a rut and do the same things over and over, because I love them. But it is also nice to do new and different things.
I can completely relate. I like your list though!
I actually don’t care about this, but Joe LOVES the music from Guardians of the Galaxy, so I know he will want to see this.
Grab a drink and get off your feet... I'm not sure what else there is to say about this one!

A little late, but I hope you're having a great trip!

We're back!

We'll we've been back for about two weeks :rolleyes1 But life has been busy. I don't know what I was thinking going on vacation a week and a half before school started. Well the boys are back in school now, and for the first time ever I am all alone at home. It's been lonely, but hopefully I'll have lots of planning and trip reporting time now. Speaking of trip reports, my new one is started HERE. I hope y'all join me over there. It was a different trip for us, and I am so excited to share it with you. I will update here soon with new December trip details as well.

How about some change?

Do you ever plan a trip and then months later look at it and want to change everything about it?

Yeah?

Me too

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

I do this to myself every time, without fail, and it's always after dining is booked, so I can't change much. I am normally such a decisive person, but for some reason with Disney, I waffle so much. I am always trying to squeeze the most out of every moment, and trying to find new ways to do it.

The original plan was to have 6-day park hoppers, now I am going to need 8-day park hoppers. The real reasoning behind this plan is that I want as many fastpasses as I can get. I am probably never going to make Club Level or VIP tour guides a thing for my family. I also think after hours would be wasted with my kids, as I don't think they'll last that long. So my idea is to add two more days of tickets roughly $20/day per person to be able to squeeze out 6 more fastpasses each. Seems like a bargain if you look at my alternative options. On the two days I am adding tickets, arrival and departure day, I don't plan to do a whole lot those days, just pretty much the fastpasses.

Crazy idea or genius??? This is what DH thinks of all my Disney ideas.

But in all seriousness. This allows each park to have two days worth of FPs, which with tiers is kind of necessary. I am also very concerned about crowds. The crowds we experienced in July on some days (which was supposed to be slow) were some of the worse we've dealt with on any trip. And the predicted crowd levels for December...

There were certain times in July where are only choice was to wait over an hour for an ride or do nothing, and extra fastpasses were like finding a unicorn. We spend our time doing some of the lesser things like shows and diversions, but kids want to do their favorite rides, and if I have to buy some more tickets to guarantee they at least get to do them once, I will do it.

So that's the plan for now. I really hope Disney decides to offer more extra magic hours for Hollywood Studios, considering Rise of the Resistance opens two days before we get there. But we'll just have to wait and see.

In other news, my brother and sister have bought their plane tickets, so no matter what issues come up, they will still be going, which is a relief. Now that my mom is back to school, she was able to put in for her leave and it's been approved. :cool1: It sounds like we're all systems go for the entire family to be together, at least for part of the trip. Of course I am happy to have us all be together, but there is now the added stress of planning a trip for 10 people, all with very different needs.

RosannaPansino happy fun yes excited GIF

I think that sounds like a great idea! And glad your whole family is able to go! We are planning a trip for 8 later in Dec, and it sure does make it more difficult!

Do you ever plan a trip and then months later look at it and want to change everything about it?

Yes, almost every single time lol

Adding 2 days to your tickets sounds smart to me. The cost is so minimal at that point that it's worth it. I feel like having even a little extra time in the parks takes away the feeling of needing to cram everything in!

Yeah?

Me too
I can relate to that...
I am normally such a decisive person, but for some reason with Disney, I waffle so much. I am always trying to squeeze the most out of every moment, and trying to find new ways to do it.
::yes::
The original plan was to have 6-day park hoppers, now I am going to need 8-day park hoppers. The real reasoning behind this plan is that I want as many fastpasses as I can get.
::yes:: The way the system works now, it almost forces you to get as many fastpasses as you can get. Lines are bad enough with a fastpass… there were very, very few things we were willing to ride without one if we couldn't get there at ropedrop before the line backed up.
This allows each park to have two days worth of FPs, which with tiers is kind of necessary.
The crowds we experienced in July on some days (which was supposed to be slow) were some of the worse we've dealt with on any trip.
There were certain times in July where are only choice was to wait over an hour for an ride or do nothing, and extra fastpasses were like finding a unicorn. We spend our time doing some of the lesser things like shows and diversions, but kids want to do their favorite rides, and if I have to buy some more tickets to guarantee they at least get to do them once, I will do it.
Exactly! We saw a lot of the very same! I have to say it didn't feel like the parks as a whole were parked... it didn't feel as congested around the park as it has felt before, but holy cow, the lines were insane!!!
In other news, my brother and sister have bought their plane tickets, so no matter what issues come up, they will still be going, which is a relief. Now that my mom is back to school, she was able to put in for her leave and it's been approved. :cool1: It sounds like we're all systems go for the entire family to be together, at least for part of the trip
That's great news!
Of course I am happy to have us all be together, but there is now the added stress of planning a trip for 10 people, all with very different needs.
Good luck!

I think that sounds like a great idea! And glad your whole family is able to go! We are planning a trip for 8 later in Dec, and it sure does make it more difficult!
I am a little stressed, but I think everybody has good expectations, so I think it will be fine.

Yes, almost every single time lol

Adding 2 days to your tickets sounds smart to me. The cost is so minimal at that point that it's worth it. I feel like having even a little extra time in the parks takes away the feeling of needing to cram everything in!
Exactly, even though I still feel like I need to cram it all in, I have a problem :rolleyes1

::yes:: The way the system works now, it almost forces you to get as many fastpasses as you can get. Lines are bad enough with a fastpass… there were very, very few things we were willing to ride without one if we couldn't get there at ropedrop before the line backed up.
I felt the same thing, I definitely feel like we rode less this time because without fastpasses, there didn't leave much options.

Exactly! We saw a lot of the very same! I have to say it didn't feel like the parks as a whole were parked... it didn't feel as congested around the park as it has felt before, but holy cow, the lines were insane!!!
INSANE!! Most waits were crazy high, I thought it was because we usually go at slower times, but Touring Plans claims this was identical crowd levels for what we've seen in Jan and September, I don't get it.

ADRs

As I said in a previous update in this PTR, I have an ADR problem. Even with the advantage of having the dining plan, I still have WAY too many ADRs. I also can’t seem to part with any of them, so let’s find out how I plan to overfeed my family for our December trip.

12/7
Kona Café (Dinner)

I had really wanted to start our trip off with Ohana this time, and didn’t plan any other time that it would fit in our schedule. Of course when ADR day rolled around, at 180 days out, the earliest I can get Ohana was at 9:40 at night. I have booked Kona, which my family does also enjoy, as a placeholder, but hopefully I can get an Ohana reservation instead.

12/8
Liberty Tree Tavern (Lunch)

I have wanted to eat here for awhile (hello Ooey Gooey toffee cake), but the weather in Florida never really seems conducive to this type of food. However, I think in December it will be perfect.

12/9
Coral Reef (Dinner)

Since I currently have more ADRs than dining credits, I may cancel this one. I think the boys would really enjoy the fish tank, but I just don’t see much more of a draw to this place.

12/10
Be Our Guest (Breakfast)

We haven’t had breakfast here since May 2015, and I want to try it again. It is way too expensive OOP, but for a dining credit I think it’s great. The only deterrent I see to this is if early morning magic does get scheduled this day, we may dump the ADR and do that instead.

50’s Prime Time (Dinner)

I think the silly antics will be so fun for the boys, and I do really enjoy the food.

Oga’s Cantina (Drinks)

I happened to be lucky enough to be browsing Facebook within minutes of the reservations becoming bookable (yay for Facebook procrastination), and I was able to book two reservations before the site became overloaded. I figured it would be nice to do this with just my family and then again with the extended family shows up.

12/11 Biergarten (Dinner CP dining package)

This is the day my parents fly in, so the first reservation they will be joining us on. We picked this restaurant because my dad and Joe are both German, and I think they will enjoy it.

12/12
Homecoming (Lunch)

Assorted breakfast cocktails and dishes including bacon and pecan doughnuts, biscuits and jam and eggs

My brother’s family flies in late the night before, so this will be the first meal with all of us together. Everyone but my mom and dad have eaten here, and we all love it. I know my dad will love it too, so it was a perfect first meal for everyone.

12/13
Akerhus (Breakfast)

This meal I have booked for my brother’s family and my mom and dad. I knew that since they have a little girl they would want to do a princess meal and my mom and dad would want to be there as well.

Cape May (Breakfast)

We will stay behind and have a late breakfast at Cape May. This is the final (before Topolino opens) Mickey character meal that we haven’t done. And seeing as we’re staying at Yacht Club it’s a no brainer.

Hollywood and Vine (Dinner F! dining package)

Even though we will have had breakfast with Mickey and the gang, why not have dinner with Mickey and the gang. I just really wanted to see them in their Christmas outfits. I couldn’t get us all together, so I booked to parties of 5, hopefully we can be seated near each other.

12/14
Oga’s Cantina (Drinks)

This is the reservation I got for all of us.

Yachtsmen Steakhouse (Dinner)

So the whole reason this trip even came into fruition was because of my mom. She turns 50, right before the trip, so we wanted to celebrate her on the trip. So this will be her belated birthday dinner.

12/15
Chef Mickey’s (Breakfast)

It is always our traditional departure day meal to have with Mickey to say goodbye. It’s not the best meal, but my kids love it and I love our tradition.

Your ADRs look great! It’s so hard to not overbook them lol cause I always want to eat at my favorites again and try new places!

I also lucked into Oga’s reservations by being on Facebook at the right time. And people always say Facebook isn’t good for anything :rotfl:

As someone else with an ADR problem :rolleyes1 I completely understand! :laughing:

You made some great choices! I LOVE Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch (get the burger to go with your Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!) and always enjoy 50's Prime Time. I loved our meal at Yachtsman several years ago and would be happy to return. I'm hoping to try both the Be Our Guest breakfast (I love the lunch and the former dinner) and Homecomin' (everyone seems to rave about it!) on our next trip.

Good job on getting TWO reservations for Oga's Canteen (wow!) and I will cross my fingers that you manage to get a reservation for 'Ohana!

Your ADRs look great! It’s so hard to not overbook them lol cause I always want to eat at my favorites again and try new places!
I know, I want to eat my faves but also try new places, it's a struggle.

I also lucked into Oga’s reservations by being on Facebook at the right time. And people always say Facebook isn’t good for anything :rotfl:
Facebook is very helpful for Disney news, my whole new feeds will be flooded when new things happens. As an agent, it's more helpful than official Disney channels.

As someone else with an ADR problem :rolleyes1 I completely understand! :laughing:
:rotfl2:
You made some great choices! I LOVE Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch (get the burger to go with your Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!) and always enjoy 50's Prime Time. I loved our meal at Yachtsman several years ago and would be happy to return. I'm hoping to try both the Be Our Guest breakfast (I love the lunch and the former dinner) and Homecomin' (everyone seems to rave about it!) on our next trip.
I hope you get to the new places, Homecoming is so worth it.

Good job on getting TWO reservations for Oga's Canteen (wow!) and I will cross my fingers that you manage to get a reservation for 'Ohana!
How funny that I was able to snag some coveted reservations but not Ohana :confused3

Liberty Tree Tavern (Lunch)
I have wanted to eat here for awhile (hello Ooey Gooey toffee cake), but the weather in Florida never really seems conducive to this type of food. However, I think in December it will be perfect.
Good call! I love the food there, but just always have a hard time working it into our plans.
50’s Prime Time (Dinner)
I think the silly antics will be so fun for the boys, and I do really enjoy the food.
I love 50's PT! DW refuses to eat there though due to PTSD from being chastised by a CM on her first trip with her mom.
Oga’s Cantina (Drinks)
I happened to be lucky enough to be browsing Facebook within minutes of the reservations becoming bookable (yay for Facebook procrastination), and I was able to book two reservations before the site became overloaded. I figured it would be nice to do this with just my family and then again with the extended family shows up.
Wow! That's awesome! Great snag!
We will stay behind and have a late breakfast at Cape May. This is the final (before Topolino opens) Mickey character meal that we haven’t done. And seeing as we’re staying at Yacht Club it’s a no brainer.
But... but... those Norwegian breakfast potatoes!!!!
Yachtsmen Steakhouse (Dinner)
So the whole reason this trip even came into fruition was because of my mom. She turns 50, right before the trip, so we wanted to celebrate her on the trip. So this will be her belated birthday dinner.
That should be a great place to celebrate with her!
Chef Mickey’s (Breakfast)
It is always our traditional departure day meal to have with Mickey to say goodbye. It’s not the best meal, but my kids love it and I love our tradition.
I think you said it as well as it can be said. :rolleyes1

Fastpass Day is Here

I fell like it's been forever since, I've updated. Have you ever been planning a trip, and then kind of lost interest? I can't believe me, Ashley, who's biggest claim to fame is her planning is going to say this, but that's me. I am still insanely excited about the trip, it's just the planning part not so much. My dad found out that he might not be able to get the time off work, so that part of the equation is back in limbo. Sadly, my sister-in-law, who I previously announced was pregnant, lost the baby a few weeks ago. And on top that, real life has gotten crazy and I just haven't had the time or desire to even think about planning.

I got together with my SIL this weekend and we did work out our fastpasses, just in time too. Today was our FP day and it went surprisingly well. I feel like each time I do the FPs it gets harder to find the rides I want, at the time I want. July was the worst, most of the popular rides I couldn't get until after 1 unless it was way late in the trip. Thankfully, I got exactly what I wanted, and in some cases for 9 people! Maybe December won't be as crowded, as I had originally thought. I can hold out hope at least, right?

I did go ahead and add 2 more days of tickets for my family, which only ended up being $100 more total. Certainly better than the up charge events, and now we have 6 extra FPs. The bulk of the planning is now over thank goodness. Now I need to start buying stuff :rolleyes1 . We need ALL the Disney Christmas items. I did get a lot of awesome shirts on Uniqlo a few weeks ago. Their prices are really awesome, if you need some shirts. Since I need 5 of everything it gets pricey, but I was able to buy 13 shirts for just over $100, not bad at all. I did get a lot on clearance though. I'll update with more thought out plans, but I was pretty excited to share how our smoothly FPs went.

Also, in a slightly unrelated matter, my BFF is in Disney with her family, and it's only day one and I think she is bitten with the bug:cool1:. My normally cynical friend, who never cries said their day has been magical and she cried of FEA:scared1:. Is it too soon to start planning our family trips we will surly have together in the future? I figured if anyone would understand my excitement at a friend becoming a Disney fan, it would be the awesome DISers:grouphug:. Until next time!

So sorry to hear about your SIL.

I hear you on the Disney planning. I feel like I go through phases where I want to do nothing but change my plans and make new ones and then others where I don't even want to think about it lol.

I agree- a friend bitten by the Disney bug is fun! One of my best friends got bitten by it two years ago and we're working on a trip when we can all go together when her kids are older!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!