• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The travel agent just called offering an upgrade?

Grumbo

DIS Veteran
OK I know I sound cynical, and accepted the upgrade but as a real newbie to this just want to confirm with you folx that have done this innumberable times.
We had 7121 which I was happy with, aft inside though, Category 11.
The travel agent called advising we had been offered an upgrade and offered us 2060 which is on the port side with a porthole. Looking at deck plan this is Category 9 but way down in the ship.
Any comments on this? How/Why are upgrades offered on this trip that is apparently "sold out"?
I'm sure it will be fine but just wondering.
Cheers,
Grumbo

Hi!
When are you sailing? I hope I get an offer like that.
We cruised on the 4 day back in 1999 and had room 7001 and we liked it. This time we are sailing and are supposed to be in cabin 2111, not sure how I feel!
Have fun!
Donna:smooth:

Personally, I would be thrilled to pay for a category 11 inside room and be upgraded to an outside cabin with the porthole and split bath!

It is easier for the cruise lines to sell off the cheaper rooms (ie. cat 11), so it makes sense for them to "open them up". This way they have a better chance of having both rooms filled. Consider it a gift and have a great time (I think you'll like the extra room and the porthole!):smooth:

Cabins on Deck 2 are awesome!!! Please do not worry that you are on a lower deck...it makes not one lick of difference in your cruise experience. all DCL hallways look exactly the same whether you are on Deck 8 or Deck 1. There is no class difference. We have stayed on Deck 2 twice and Deck 1 once and plan on staying on Deck 2 again on the 5/17 Magic. We have also been in Cat 4's three times and prefer the lower decks which are less noisy and more centrally located to the shows, shops, guest service, shore excursion deck, dinner, clubs, etc.

Plus you have the added bonus of easily walking on and off the ship when you are in port...no need to wait with the crowd for the elevator for higher floors!!!!

MJ

Thanks all...
We leave (Hopefully the snow storm coming in tomorrow doesn't affect our flight) Thursday March 6th.
Figured you had to be a former "cruiser" or something to get an upgrade :)
GREAT!!!
Feel good about this now :p

Hey Grumbo-

Are you on my cruise? 3 day March 6-9 2003?

If so we may be sharing a room.

My travel agent called me this morning and said I had been upgraded by disney from cat 11 (7629) to a cat 9 (2060).
If you are on the same cruise as me, it looks like we will be sharing the split bath LOL, I hope there is some mistake and we are both getting great upgrades! I am so excited to get a window and for free!!!! Plus the split bath and 30 more square feet!!!!

Grumbo is going to clean his glasses before he posts next time.
It is 2066!!!
Sheeh guess I AM really getting old.
Oh well that works out really well though. I could just have seen us in the hallway with all our bags figuring out WHO got the room!!!
SO GLAD YOU POSTED....
Two rooms apart :)
Good stuff!
Cheers,
Grumbo

whew...

I'm sure glad we figured that out. I was thinking, I know it is too good to be true that I got an upgrade! Isn't that a funny quinky-dink. To think, I just happened to read your post and remembered your username and that you were one of the few DisBoarders on my cruise. I am at work today telling everyone I see " I got a port hole.... I got a split bath.." This is even better than a secret porthole...a free full view porthole!! It looks like we are really close to the elevators and nothing loud above us (like a nightclub or something)

Well, see ya there....Can't wait:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I had the same experience - bumped from a Cat. 7 to a Cat. 6. I thought it was too good to be true too, but the agent told me that they were trying to keep a large party together so that's why the switch. It was a very nice surprise, as the room we got was awesome.

Boy I hope this happens to us. We've been on 5 Disney cruises and have never been offered an upgrade before we left for the cruise. We have been upgraded but only because there has been plumbing problems with the rooms. On our last cruise we had a secret porthole room. Everyone staying in a secret porthole room got a free upgrade. Stinky!!!!! rooms, major plumbing problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter