The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

I did wonder how you got away with not eating your veggies and eating so many burgers and pizza. Especially because my numbers have been horrible for years now, like 20.

I never got away with it, I just ignored the fact that it was unhealthy. My problem has been that I eat too many foods that taste good, and not enough that taste terrible. I'm jealous of people who actually like eating healthy stuff, because for the most part I just can't force myself to like it. My doctor recommended the statin because in his words you're more likely to make a medical change than a lifestyle change. Which I agreed with.

I also had a negative reaction to a statin and tried to avoid them, but my Endocrinologist switched me to one a while back and I seem to be OK with it for now. Fingers crossed.

So far, so good for me, too!

Yikes! I'm glad you have it under control.

That was a one-time thing. It had never happened before, and hasn't happened again. It wasn't fun, though, that's for sure.

It happens to all of us eventually. The thing that bugs me is that Fran eats way worse than me and her cholesterol is incredibly low.

There's always that one person who gets away with it. It is annoying, for sure.

No, I always think when I read your TRs that you guys seem to eat incredibly early! :rotfl2:

But normally we try to have dinner by 7PM, however often times I miss that mark at home and it's closer to 7:30 or 8PM before we're actually sitting down to dinner.

That's by design--I'm trying to avoid crowds and minimize wait times! It usually works, too. And we're usually hungry early if we've only had PB&J for lunch.

I never got away with it, I just ignored the fact that it was unhealthy. My problem has been that I eat too many foods that taste good, and not enough that taste terrible. I'm jealous of people who actually like eating healthy stuff, because for the most part I just can't force myself to like it. My doctor recommended the statin because in his words you're more likely to make a medical change than a lifestyle change. Which I agreed with.
This sounds very familiar to me. So far my cholesterol has been OK (I have been getting it checked annually for the last few years), but I expect I will be telling a similar story one of these days...

Kids these days. Why in my day (insert appropriate cliché here.)

...we really acted just like them.

Always go with fun over facts.

That's my TR motto!

I did see that. Alright. You can read it.

Whew. I knew I would qualify somehow.

This is why I prefer to start my hikes uphill whenever possible.

As do we all! Hard to do at Bryce and Grand Canyon though.

I will be here! :)

:woohoo: Stay tuned...I think our dates are just about set. Looking like late July.

This sounds very familiar to me. So far my cholesterol has been OK (I have been getting it checked annually for the last few years), but I expect I will be telling a similar story one of these days...

My numbers were bad for years. But that's really only one risk factor, and I didn't have any others (I don't smoke, very low alcohol consumption, I exercise, etc.). But the cardiologist I saw wanted to take that risk off the board too. And the drug has worked so far--my overall cholesterol number went down about 60 points after I started taking it.

It was mid-afternoon when we arrived at Bryce Canyon National Park.
… we were working the day watch out of homicide when the call came in…

Bryce Canyon was not new to us…
Words that don’t get said very often in Delaware…
(or in the Carolinas for, for that matter)

So our goal was to explore Bryce Canyon from a different perspective—below the rim.
But be warned…
What goes down will eventually need to climb back up.

All the way back up…

we’re extremely lazy.
Me too!
In fact,” lazy” is basically my religion and “extremely” would be our denomination.

“Well…it’s a hell of a place to lose a cow.”
Not sure whether that observation should have won him a Pulitzer or a Nobel.
A valid argument could be made for both.

The park is known primarily for the red-rock spires reaching into the sky called “hoodoos”. No one really knows where that term comes from.
I just figured it was just short-hand for the sentence:
Who do you figure would be dang fool enough to herd cattle amongst those things?

Going to the end and working your way back means you’re only making right turns to reach the viewpoints.
L… I… B…
That actually makes a smattering of good sense.

I’d try and describe it further, but I won’t do any better than to just show you photos.
And even the photos are a pale imitation of what the eyes must have seen.

Stunning none the less…

If you’re lucky, you can see an arch with a hot model next to it.
And if unlucky, it’ll be an arch with what looks like some loon hanging from it.

In 2014 we’d tried Foster’s Family Steakhouse (now re-named the "UpTop Steakhouse") and it was…fine.
A recent name change (particularly with limited competition) does not generally bode well.

Well, I’m never one to pass up pie…
Well of course n…
Wait! Are you telling me that this is something that could possibly occur?
I shocked… Shocked I tell you!

I’m also never one to pass up mozzarella sticks.
Now, that will depend on the bona fides attributed to said “cheese”

and calories don’t count when you’re on vacation.
True!
They have no effect whatsoever.

Until you get back home…

Then they miraculously (or would that be - fiendishly) inundate you in one fell swoop.

Oh, and the doctor put me on cholesterol medication, which magically counteracts any negative effects of unhealthy foods you might happen to eat.
That’s not the way any of this works…

So we got some mozzarella sticks. And they were wonderful.
And in the end, this is all that really matters.

One nice aspect of the restaurant was that they provided entertainment for us while we waited for our order.

173ufyi_g49JIEO4lnlMQemw3U5-Lwm-5DICdnsTgC8QbgceSd0B_Bpo2F5spVS7CrzbwQU5FMk8ENXtI60MLd2YiJ51Pms5gctpECYrYz_KotjYTltGiKSZeLLrfdJPqqcE4ghRxhugvYoUCGogUlGeQSMdq_d8LEhqmi1vPp4e-ivUl36y-PsDABA-bjX3Il_lf0GIoDKRILYSr7ihrZ-0JpHf6FUPLfJKLYCZNeFHwB0MOwUWhEAt87fXE519OxIO_IWXAg3CgJmVOkc2Q4qr-Ioyy73rRqheE1YFit4YesKKGShn-KVpvh3eKokYbPZTNTiRKGHZ2o2ZwVCUoUSrEdR_H1kKbHPK3brirOdxiyXC1fYZGASMdX9I5kUodwtQpB7GMcNA9HE4CR_nQcJCst_6-7Pji-qaQvwc_Uneot2vqvoFNFw2ZDTUZUL2C9s_tn0sG6Qgu5LIlSlmE2MCjxAszvwIS0hhrheJv_9sdiY3xRht1qxBc3thrb7vQAFQ8pa2gNJwTpePxnhBYp7apH77cvxYBauFQOSxknC38JXMQr1elHXDW4KD5sz3kN3PYbEqCcroi5FKH_inJZXNZpiaSXvB_nlILrwLic7ngJkYCL9vd0yx2mT39xCH=w1022-h766-no
Using the published research to identify and improve methods of circumventing they’re techniques?
Aren’t you the sly one?

I made it a Hawaiian cordon bleu by adding a slice of grilled pineapple.
Sound’s good to me.

Just don’t admit to something like that over on the other venue or you’ll be condemned as some variation of a blasphemer (or accused of using a fork…. one or the other).

The highlight was indeed the pie.
Truly, you jest…

Julie seemed especially excited about hers.

rYfgFLpS1Q85x3vY06zErE49NTEe8TvkQ6M-1ojgGUW0YzD9JdcHBFv922gBEImWyyZc19Tq8ZXlbpe_ZZprqO_wiUym1Yaw3b3o78JPovbvfzwkmTkcGEjViF825CrxfkJKt_QzE_4GJ2DcZ05f5KRHsK_8EKuyNX9uWuJLGzlKBy1HMKvBv6ZOLlU6X4Xs9t_Fp3RfZhQvgjj4iD_mqdZuheQV2aGStKgjh7WrYc2pyfDu_GORzXzYQinkr2-dshUBnt1Y_Z6A9SR2GP3RjwfJR8ratiNOYrXpxeR-7ttuaqKot-gySB0Kg9iT1IQGRm0K3pWpzWL5lxU43fQAZgauYqAy8CXvoqRpp0KbVtn275WjXQ3yG8KQ136j29rkTk6vrUVx6caQUreZSpZqm717S_GQeH8AZWR57ciLLc4KgsLrrdvV_yoEQ3XXYWXeDFtp00pVaIydsJzJHmgwXvjzK2--vcYcn4lUcfwWVyeQEsG8KTbJaQU-l9zhFE-w9qwqNwCekzo62cPeIEFMI92O60pcJLHaVqABgd9Vg4M43wsHXAolnsOmuuDnaQOfFWGWCly_TmjH0T8gvAqdxo7MmPy_LqbdXY5O5rznm8UPEyEKIo8lyb8uhlPK31k9=w1022-h766-no
Looks more like a warning to any stray hands, that wandering too near may be a catastrophic error.

There’s no substitute for being able to stay within walking distance of a natural wonder.
Awwww…
That’s exactly how I feel about my Missus too!

We really loved staying here. I think the cabins had been recently renovated—they were a cut above most national park hotels, which are typically bare-bones, old buildings.
And it does look to be a most excellent spot.
(Bet the reservations are a tough get, though.)

There was no TV, but that’s kind of the point of getting away to a national park.
I can live with that…
My “Natural Wonder” might have a differing opinion on the subject, however.

It provides a stunning view of the expanse of the park.

jHHe6Bcg1twoGwDSC4WP8oFCMewYvZ1fBCgnUB-XKf7H8Iu7h2_5VMj_qyhebYo8O5HnLBGTCvFX-64RaBtgpnLe3eei_axv0j3FQKRVEykTu7ZPxPD5QT-E_RZh8CDk1cYA8kN5Mf1i27_D533lLDXVce6hGFl1GR52lODxtwzK_Ajjal_hFpLeKOj3IKWCnQU6SJwWrud8S45MPz30i5diHZu88F1bed6QN8V9rWZauVIYbEwRWuIwNEkoF1kqUq9y6Ka4VKD-XFWSGHJtRYl7pTi0Z-RlUEnQKHsrWqUIgvb5amZvyyuVSd8nphFcFA25W7rA6uwJz1laDpRvWtCZirR8__sYAXKfB-b9uL6d3-jbToFVEHuQPVTQ4mufiT3OcQhy2zBvmTv57IGub4PogH1ECAR8S7JmYOMXf94gEMStO4hsVVGmwnQw54s6WS9ACXvXq_YsZkaHpwiCFQk8s0esO96A5ufk-vnqb20PtazXaMoayjh_EK94iqmzAcKXtGpEh0nkzYCoWD5olPsfiaJpAsdHSCesziK3wT2kKLswqyD9Cv6hD4LpIHneqIuQx77031rjFasN7twImXK0CO0n_yBOocuyOD8D-WPjAK5yQ0aOjvhtPc9K66n3=w1149-h766-no

3CJ4g2rzh76aLLxQKbUdxIsN0fwocdar-wlLEJmof-xfHQ2f5fZcLP0LG7IE_EKFa3chR8v92B8VC9kHP79G8nUv90sOLxWsVvSx4r3-uWh3XXjeofh-CWRrHPsXPUEi--nC4yLwGrtyplmqJ2xbNYtN49C5DL56APfZx2S4Vysn-MMOlJW9VQGvssNQj3A3DUiPDnSbjtT4xGGs260njhq9cRdX_0j0ZqBZKcfy67aQ-gmleFzIc7v0Q6FjXsHbQmmyJtf4dacwVTCb4DG3J5zWGksAVcjsXKkSvqH3YUyQ0vLl40nBf2jgveu6ozrHSmQpSZEca8q0F6CrrUO8uzJKf_QMkW8GPfNFinDe3zjUi8TsMnEZyE3EIqnNgdEsTHbzW8AaXMBcaipYmqWPnRjSsi-h7gpBbL8kq9czSymhXNwJMb-6PtarkPglSV0-A2J1ClCdzUiPb1KzL1LGGh5gwGD8MX0wQp3eSBJ5ReXJhLDSp2tOxvRmKU3jp5A5HTkJ5TqW_NXtfN3HOK7X9sQ-yi1V759DjswdgUkcZ6F__zXtkfA3VZNcLvqvkdDcLks7k8cW3hy4N4YDVlBGHf9eC4ofGix9y1PUeBpT_pGsLglP0rukxFqzRjQyCwaj=w1149-h766-no
You are a master of understatement.

We walked a short way up the path and were greeted this this panorama. In this light, it looked like a painting. A masterpiece, actually.

cHCWCqZ3P8F4vd4k1pLjB21N1w9vhczuh6PjC3qC9AFDjQh4vuvMb4Jtpb1zyVC7iMdpL6I0FlmjnvU5LxwUHZnJOIL5vEKBquyVwZFELWukPJF64fWEykfVa9-bhHK4pho1WAC7mKfb13vF9qCi6tWcSK7MmTU4fd3w8O9H5z5QaE_QrLqZ05TNzCsMJzifzj_Ww-ThbFg6K6PlvjS8Z72_eBFgArHSqsvRDDouE9OV8KLma7ER12bxeWeOLJExJuPB9eGXI5ehpkJS_8ezA7I0_cZOrIcYBAS63TqTnq7UzXq_LrAkmcTk8C1UMbo3418rZ_nWXepje0hbImwZdtReVYyv3AqKkpeNHpGT_AUSWvSMtuh1-zRYbt9E5hEqGW57ZV8zUN2GFX599qR0-CAIgND-F2ibwvINlsKvylkfvztFVll_2SU4YBfJV4AEgusxPjZRjKmXeXMp227W6i1OTsSePL40v9rMnw_O8RoI4_EY1rOPjx0hhGRA5Rqg2maaXmp-HB6U45nwJF35ew6LcrTYYS3IDWjES5DpUmrrYOzjeZ3kkb5nTgb5vfBvNy-y8rutElqYnwMbPl396bN1fCuMO6GTqKNDuRFNTFYnsw6h8ZFkS0dUaom2hSpi=w1149-h766-no
Good lord!

Thank goodness for digital, where you don’t have to worry about wasting shots.
Both a blessing and a curse…
Depending on the subject of the photograph…
(or selfie as the case may be)

<<<slow whistle>>>

That’s…
that’s right nice.

It also happened to be the 4th of July, and the Best Western a few miles away was celebrating with fireworks.
Disney would be implementing a substantial up-charge for that kind of added magic.

We tried staying up for complete darkness in order to see the night sky.
The time change can be merciless.

We were exhausted, but the drive in the pitch black along the switchback road with sheer cliffs for shoulders kept me quite awake until we got back down to the hotel.

As I looked up, the starry sky was spectacular once again. I’m glad we at least got to see it again, even if we didn’t get any photos this time around.
Photos would have been good, but the memory can’t be taken from you.
(and it’s those memories that make you want to do something all over again)

… we were working the day watch out of homicide when the call came in…

Two vics, double-tapped. Made the wrong turn in Chinatown.

Words that don’t get said very often in Delaware…
(or in the Carolinas for, for that matter)

Other words that don't get said often in Delaware: Hey, look at the size of that hill!

But be warned…
What goes down will eventually need to climb back up.

All the way back up…

Yep...that's always in the back of your mind.

Not sure whether that observation should have won him a Pulitzer or a Nobel.
A valid argument could be made for both.

It's one of my favorite quotes.

I just figured it was just short-hand for the sentence:
Who do you figure would be dang fool enough to herd cattle amongst those things?

I like it! The Mythbusters would call this plausible.

L… I… B…
That actually makes a smattering of good sense.

Mind. Blown.

giphy.gif

And even the photos are a pale imitation of what the eyes must have seen.

Stunning none the less…

You can never capture the scope of these views in a photo.

And if unlucky, it’ll be an arch with what looks like some loon hanging from it.

Oh, nobody is dumb enough to do that.

A recent name change (particularly with limited competition) does not generally bode well.

Truth.

Well of course n…
Wait! Are you telling me that this is something that could possibly occur?
I shocked… Shocked I tell you!

Mmm....pie...

Now, that will depend on the bona fides attributed to said “cheese”

Yeah, big difference between frozen and homemade.

True!
They have no effect whatsoever.

Until you get back home…

Then they miraculously (or would that be - fiendishly) inundate you in one fell swoop.

I hate it when that happens. It feels like every vacation ends that way! Wish I could figure out why.

That’s not the way any of this works…

giphy.gif

And in the end, this is all that really matters.

Hey, something's gotta kill ya. Might as well die happy.

Using the published research to identify and improve methods of circumventing they’re techniques?
Aren’t you the sly one?

Nicely done! :rotfl2:

Sound’s good to me.

Just don’t admit to something like that over on the other venue or you’ll be condemned as some variation of a blasphemer (or accused of using a fork…. one or the other).

Pineapple is magic, and improves many foods.

Truly, you jest…

Hope you were sitting down.

Looks more like a warning to any stray hands, that wandering too near may be a catastrophic error.

I sure wasn't going to test her.

Awwww…
That’s exactly how I feel about my Missus too!

Well played, sir. :thumbsup2

And it does look to be a most excellent spot.
(Bet the reservations are a tough get, though.)

It's not too hard, as long as you're early enough. Plan in advance!

I can live with that…
My “Natural Wonder” might have a differing opinion on the subject, however.

Who needs a TV with views like that!

You are a master of understatement.

Looks like a rain storm is headed your way.

Good lord!

I found it stunning.

Both a blessing and a curse…
Depending on the subject of the photograph…
(or selfie as the case may be)

I saw a funny meme on FB the other day: they call them "selfies" because "narcissisties" is too hard to say. :rotfl:

<<<slow whistle>>>

That’s…
that’s right nice.

::yes::

Disney would be implementing a substantial up-charge for that kind of added magic.

And we'd pay it, too!

The time change can be merciless.

We were exhausted, but the drive in the pitch black along the switchback road with sheer cliffs for shoulders kept me quite awake until we got back down to the hotel.

I can imagine. I usually gain some energy just from the thrill of exploring a new place, but at some point you hit the wall.

Photos would have been good, but the memory can’t be taken from you.
(and it’s those memories that make you want to do something all over again)

Well said.

Hey! Don't tell them that!!!!

The truth hurts, huh?

My doctor says that the whole diet thing is only about 15% of your cholesterol numbers, the rest is genes. I am lucky that both my parents who are over 70 still have perfect cholesterol numbers and mine so far have never given cause for concern either.

However, I know it might sound crazy, but you can train yourself into liking healthy stuff. I used to hate nearly every vegetable besides tomatoes. Over the years I have added more and more into my diet and now the only ones I refuse to eat are brussles sprouts, fennel and selery. I used to hate cauliflower, but recently had it a few times where I thought maybe I could start adding this into my diet. Start slowly, pick the ones that you hate the least first. And nearly every vegetable is better when it is oven baked! It brings out the sweetness and the texture of something crispy always makes things better. There are still vegetables that I prefer over others, but I found that playing with interesting seasoning and textures truly helps. Steemed vegetables are still something that I detest!!

And now I feel gulity about commenting on this instead of on your lovely trip report update!! Sorry! But I loved it very much! Those pictures are spectacular!

My doctor says that the whole diet thing is only about 15% of your cholesterol numbers, the rest is genes. I am lucky that both my parents who are over 70 still have perfect cholesterol numbers and mine so far have never given cause for concern either.

I've heard something similar, and high cholesterol does run in my family.

However, I know it might sound crazy, but you can train yourself into liking healthy stuff. I used to hate nearly every vegetable besides tomatoes. Over the years I have added more and more into my diet and now the only ones I refuse to eat are brussles sprouts, fennel and selery. I used to hate cauliflower, but recently had it a few times where I thought maybe I could start adding this into my diet. Start slowly, pick the ones that you hate the least first. And nearly every vegetable is better when it is oven baked! It brings out the sweetness and the texture of something crispy always makes things better. There are still vegetables that I prefer over others, but I found that playing with interesting seasoning and textures truly helps. Steemed vegetables are still something that I detest!!

I'm skeptical. I've been eating green beans for 43 years now, and I still don't like green beans. Some foods just taste like death, like kale and brussels sprouts. There's just no way around it. I didn't know about the oven-baked trick, though.

And now I feel gulity about commenting on this instead of on your lovely trip report update!! Sorry! But I loved it very much! Those pictures are spectacular!

Ok, new rule: readers must comment on the latest update before nagging me to eat my vegetables. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Bonus Chapter 4: No Voodoo, Boo Hoo, or Doo-Doo in the Hoodoos. Dooby-Dooby-Doo.

We followed standard Rope Drop Protocol the next morning, getting up early, getting dressed and eating donuts and coffee in the room for breakfast. We actually were up early enough that we tried to walk out to the rim to take a peek at the sunrise, but unfortunately it was a dud. Low-lying clouds obscured the sunlight that morning. We did get to see this bird on the way back to the cabin, though.

SJ6PM_8R71LO51M9FJW8ZJsWiOoIKOBVZ8B0YV6Ah5K22qfRDbqMpaAyL0fhNfIQjpsnJGqQZ0uifqwtDCr_GJmMZMLEcx0QeOGAWeAAEefbuupJoxOBfP-JL0NGiRtg-uSAe2JvcfFRg6beEZCAS7JHZ6wt4AWok8unXhTGTSKLGJuxfuphtdr_Nps-xPne-nyaw7WcLSo1_IUUTvLm5SeUOCzvTzWxkKPIueVIOjRbPoWyAmNnn_Cuj5RADBdSF3CqfoNC3iwjlio3oBOpy3O5mHc2yTFtCTHTn_PnMCEOEGFMZsH5Cf5CBOcWk1tZPhAl8t9v8MHDcbFgY7Fuw_FI-lF9OMi1YNvo-4HFUzzWzRBS3kjURqtWldEttnmT9SWd-pJeTKxXIpZ89xZKae-69u8Q3mFbLVahiu9AnxIfVkIrCzbJouLu1ROdi1QAanASyy9vd7dHBdjghbKqiRn2LhvisEynQHBYPDas1PUaUAURzVkyJ4Ddczh80_xF9FzvniJfGGjVLbdjwqLK9iBNybLvhCPzu_slXE3kfaiaxJvqQeQGeeyD1Co0nX3bIxodbY4gZYYBS6Q8HkxBfuYmP66KkbVBnxnINBidecNBuOhLH0ySiojAkLw6_boT=w1184-h789-no

That post appears to be a, uh, popular spot for birds.

Anyway, we were ready to start a hike at 7:00 a.m. All we had to do was walk a few hundred feet from our cabin to the trailhead at Sunset Point.

The main viewpoints at the amphitheater are Sunrise Point and Sunset Point. Sunrise is further to the north. The Queens Garden Trail descends from Sunrise Point, and the Navajo Loop Trail descends from Sunset Point. However, as shown in this hiking map, there is a point where the trails link up. This combination of the Queens Garden/Navajo trail is one of the most popular hikes in the park.

For some inexplicable reason, the official Bryce Canyon map/newsletter they give you at the entrance recommends you start this hike at Sunrise Point and return via the Navajo Loop to Sunset Point. DO NOT DO THIS, unless you are also a fan of root canals and tax audits. Every guide book I read said to do the opposite, and in this case the guide books were correct. I’ll show you the reason why in a moment.

By now, the sun had broken through the clouds and was starting to cast some cool shadows around the hoodoos.

xEnGIMMYp7FgK2WA3nDg7xzdpKkbkqFNPoqZ1stQLtqK80adHmUNC8h0qEkHExB9E9CZs1UvtjkDySUsOtTgg0reF0tKh69191HW9zI_KHLl2PlFCZCum_bPlqAvxpGNWcwnk5q7RbkZAywvPUEh2NjjJgz_G-BLANEXtTMVrOmHjg_LqQOJuYqUSIA0ryG4tudG6rUEE1eIGO7CNZjfkx45X7QYdAAFrYLqQE6IVYt2nrlcK628aZZbZcSi4C_o_-bZLUF6TQaw2TY91C8v-fDBxhIkwA_T3W_qRLuxkGIuz5rSe6h88gAq_QF_z_wleye7WxekkxmQfksc2jZ6mP9HiDeQjqTZqAD-LIn9jW5lDOGalNEeCWrCcllEWdTdxLJ9TiEIcfoJ_vuM6f0j7axzXTYcP8udvBEBQcCbLqPx9zjn7Qe5GJaT6eId5PRZFcdIJdFoJyRDrerjYK0XMhZ4gnAmra--Vc47BhoWpCh7toNH2e8au601jmfYxtERJgoUqNnZ-Y2ZHXauo9Ck5cOLpnC3b6dR9kzx6Kr_0bT9Y6wrqRvgOAEth1-cnNY-MD92INxPbv3ckd1eAwxCTJwmnYA-l9VwHFEsj3j53QqmuSwmkMS394Hp75zpefIc=w1184-h789-no

QEdRBMSnfL3jU3b3JBElkkHnG2GCYVKWAFI4UpmqVwMdT3w5RfTPnYm6U4y2Qz8QJ-BmjEAmSr9u6SkeMuWoC24Ffg7Js40hrWW8pCPiHiFTPv6JfmcYJW6l5gsen33lXd8XgRepskBPy5DZBfMN6BTONWMEsAwTPOC7E1owyLvlrLDoWion5orAEtsdaXsCavNIhfn8vOQlrqhZ1IoH4vfRKNIvZSi_S8-3jgR3UUR6Yn0XehFae3eQxjvKJeWgVvg4b1X24b27HVJ24EtFdJuszSnffskP_HCDfeDnceveK0hor38c0S0gAFpZHpCHjq249a997xdQEca4QND9j0fUMVxcjvwTBcUqJNU1U7sop8tRjVT7mRuPU_-LBaQebOHgDkuSH03we0rNDAdGnkv7aGvfuChX5sVnwCQafx38yD6HusZQFv_q-iuZaIByr63b9Mx9Y1jwTq9jyYwZQMfi8QfUNBtzSTiNCJT9MIOYeZdUVTcMui4V2wQUWC4kzhOjA6i7cyvWsANEQrBFpTkuNCD95Ur0_-R0IUVRYQ-k9d7t7MzsHbNygo-CHRmL_SShGKVglnUK0r5vUHxKseenZ4Qn9r15uRIvaGqK8HkXj0Sxe7iW6xKyuI19OsX4=w1184-h789-no

The start of the Navajo Loop trail is a steep descent through a section of Bryce Canyon known as Wall Street. It was given this name due to the massive hoodoos and narrow trails that take you in between them, reminiscent of walking between city skyscrapers. It’s also the reason why this should be the start, not the end, of your hike. Check out the drop, and then imagine having to climb back up this way.

nSn4IjyPDSWUhvyUGiTb6_XONqQcBGa03E8Yao3OebsyLpymQ8_vXWw9eMuCB0dSf2q8rJruEhyFS2JExNevcHJ85jwDeeDRqtdk6rlKp6zeUnjT3skae3PJrw7L2L_X2Urc29nnZ0MKaN21rHAQ3G5gN3bGI5A7pU3NQNT52d8ezILt2P7KA_I7_pcuZjuNpl_RwI6hNtDS9HTh76ZCvEmp90_5YeVBC-2-RUPnsd9Xc6ZAbZrv0ESc8dGEKBZJh4tfXMhthwxGhTNTOzTBvRyrkMpalrvbcOJqnedBl3vE7P9tmU7bgtdzcoI7VtY16xZqJMm62YjsUijRgAS6YDrBkp-dEACrE5MaSRPzmVVEaRSDXUAPNguPDlFpOt_JvHr1aN3VKgX8RUbZOArOlkaBmLAqVUlM03GGyU0HZquhzaVI7_3k-kTkfWV60-lrKERn8Hph5fHCTd6BTCHYpk52d1wDmZQS2TuOOVK9aSLVrpb19mDkiDiKaPA_xQYOzJo1oT3EGmaIxckvVLN1YpSzSKtRZuzTeKePK8WCaP0c99n7WEfR1sZz7u2G-R8U1iGUF8hWMh0yFPbrmXexAiZaGx_QVRAqY-ZYI3STt6qLozXvp7zjfxmxLfUxUcqS=w1052-h789-no

Once again, including our hot model for scale:

oem5ugTBZHnJQfLzhdp54eeVP5ZclaOZBynJwSk6i2OiFzk9ZEmjcd_H8rhoQ3AGjmQDAsMCqV4Z6Yjfmn0HPXDA9b0QnJSTN9rCaq_Ffy3DBb-fqSnCbVgJ5250qkZmAWQCbMhuUXdRFI0c9IFUJfyk-5B0YC2LBOStVIw_PTol6xF0NrAHA9BF8iwjgmQf4auHXhXtW67ib4Qz1iJakR6qnhGoGhALqx_1op2Sl-EAati8nhPGHiIA4j257JvKTwoTkYI5fRz8NY7aXy4gjJDl0uvGdr9bq6-4XNszRJcStWqu-1a3dR9R1EYdUwvlnocDG4u0pBhotqCmgIrL3AmNyoptzxwaoitClGhztGNDUZZppAy6tuCp9c4I10dAtNA7RaFqV_YdKqDzIZ9NLnvK0dLv24GLUHZRES3RwyGMpSg5VWO2Q9qS1ELrT-HvT5bShAnxeLyGrI4sDbUWlFHGVh0Sl0wKTsHZmUaJ8v42yEXgocVl4dpBGWDwg-B3A013L8nW1Dum2rMF8CVcjNJqsoIs70Crd3bC5JnpTCcHs_TgqNOYw_PYr6Xo7Wsd5dH4wF6nZ5ktreR9T90VM6wm0aqcJOjzxYMFz150rwaQmcw6tsEloX37IZtcjYHj=w1052-h789-no

Or, if you want to get really dramatic:

qs3meeilIds2TCuDuvWEmO6rG9VuAYn4kAPey3jAvVgcxgNuBI-0moNRrJgNC-umf0dAtdbSOUEZjJqxGsGWtGwqpZkC2ppOSyzyqIPZ4iQTr2Q6000Z1-W9SVQ2IxJ5PTVjca2yxCg6ok1MtHC4BW4q3RvcAGesoeHaZ0a0gU7GDryPRRp6i7syfuoJMyEnth7r9bmlg-GVTvStet3CTstiB4OfydT3ZEQNvmMI8T4qrmUSJIfmPrBFbRdxJC1KHs8wgMYrvfBkZTQlLBhFradwUo6WncxyAXfa7v4QCijK5VygJ0mHH1BxSrPhgLl-cQoNQRXwnSIO2box_9-xKdOP9L8LOLExauMAjZq0wqQpJSf5akYJ6eRx-h2xzQR8PJ93M3R-ts253QnQ1bs1gCV_Ht8_Dlmqrl1X2AO3-ybRTq09ujssZSsUdF-WW539JmuX-yu7aVV__Bqin4DB0Vdf0JdLC_FpqTCaGsAY1nnMe1iaXdKe_JHs2NRJ5dK97vfraFQUmtHkNv5mECaRFvRvceIq_xgjUan9N2KLqmI2-oSNY13UVZ-K1W784eWQzJOBia_gqDGN_e2PEln8CXN_jmWu8okOcHZdzgvmYOoN5cw7dze2B-6hX6ItVe7b=w526-h789-no

It was breathtaking to be able to wander amongst the rock formations towering above us. I loved squeezing through the narrow passageways. They even had tunnels cut in the rock at various points along the trail.

8TCWQkHULJnjAWDfipS_gOx-v9sAm8wyNuUXPxGiHF7ExJ3wXj9cf8YLdMt7iH7_LtUhYpgy1p46sdg5U7Boo8B7YP0H5PpWpDJPTEjCL0yuuSZjbyfd6Kg0vQZdBWh7eb5my1LOHISu5bi29t0FJPNKAd2wB8hnuagZdNFdon4LCHVDVgqdJQ7JbtGjjhI0wSC0mf8JTHmjPz6ZUlLlE-Z2zwqIlwuYEmDGgB9gSriWfuXcqPJj24ON4msbpS3cHjWElpDNNrdpY3rW0ha6fhFN3uraA8-gXx2zInOxBInTOseKLlUFKcl_l1s0r5B6_U7nyFr3_8Nlmln9mSBsJS-GXzCDCPMAakU9i0P2uND5XV-2kwYMeTgG9kUwU3prPbAFKMy1yGiQ4cx5knjS-mWpo1QOxxyFJOjGP8Yv0vSJy1ZTPr6ZqPxCS5rvA_jknWEDXyrOGU8W6ixqsehJykk_xd9lZSPHX0U1N7jV8lYZeBqwDscAoGkyNszIHTOZMGZlWAowD0tmkAofFeALRNrpH0VdZhX-pRpUiiFrt3BgFSNLU9CyFvSAXTaC5KfxkmgxKux8HPpD6J6B-cyifOglL6OjLfRjYNP1ScSkbX3YnXNU0MxPhods42l2qKeV=w592-h789-no

CsFxcMiC_HuTC7D-M6dwFbc2lsIZssFbGW9un4iNxlIhb70Q2bueHjp0P-7w5vAwwkpQ8ryQNxthR4PHT6PD4fN9o_-BPZ-ZDWMeBkCGmyj5fEQW8LsC702s0DDu9RmUIQqGw6FVh74YYMkZp_W_tSLYaJZTw8ydDTO2fM1kpIa-6BYzcacTdO_6REdOUbWuCSsf000gyWxxwMBsbo3QD66vuiXqpu7ZFisJKg9-Im5ysO5OW0p4cMfHwfUW9QDL6tEBzUGsOolyNPUfXnKnqP6PLygsunt5s19_UbrwE2pM1itgpcccyrRuwrNvRsZG8YownWa_xTysPHETM3mvrGecd463xpcfdSLVYCGoTY24iYbBTF4-y4gR1-2dda41WghRlz6V2V9UzmVeuanSlZekvXpO1EizdjuDCkJZCGxJgb9GxH9p5Jaj17lWnzwTY22vx2hvdmK7C9qovTTx_Zoeynw2soS95XGQq02nGT0mesg4B6LjT28vig6IZcY48iDswes11Ya1mZb8bkQZnB1qUupXNulAUcjXMMhwghT1V2JrFcGAjtuc7pqt2sG72VYmifkcPalualwWQTRt9SV4nAXXmfmFbtE_oPkH6ZpsE6h31DDKRY68DDYV34ca=w1184-h789-no

As you might imagine, it didn’t take long to make our way down the amphitheater floor.

No one had hiked down Wall Street with us—we’d had the whole place to ourselves. That was pretty special. When we reached the junction with the Queens Garden Trail, we met several other hikers. They had all started at Sunrise Point and were getting ready to ascend Wall Street. They asked us what it was like on that part of the trail.

For no points, how did we respond?

a) STEEP. Good luck, suckers! We’ll see you in about 8 hours when you finish.

b) Beautiful! Such an amazing hike. You’ll have a great time!

c) Disappointing. Not a single burger joint to be found.

d) Some combination of a, b, or c.

For her part, Julie thought it was hilarious to walk by several hikers in specialized gear—walking poles, Keen hiking boots, $90 hiking pants from LL Bean or REI, sun hats, lightweight backpacks…and then compare them to me, in a ball cap and blue jeans and carrying a Target bag with water bottles in it.

GJHrd8iNgQjVwuxxkNKCtsomCligwoa7PLtFU3eU1fs0_KrenyAAPOvi3i90kVPGkMPxaWVyDy_JHwVfWOZIMVyZq60VUT9Y2MjSDAVd5nTplbICg3TlDD7BMt7rDYw6pAZwPZ6oaGcO6_Si0AFq_gn-n_ZqCxyMJ2t1ayL94scJD89JF08gisu0vWpMraJeH0J43z6qy1Y40nuLHd6tAp5jtCDaZlcYGDXOkeOeZwuWU31BnXhKmpt52yzxIbuGwT6A1DOy4WDtVMT5Qa-4FvV0SBHQ1bM731LGcJgKOqB3K_66HUox9LqVcz6rYVN20gX7xNU8FKtUlI9Wx-2SqMywB7oh0n51P2wDclXj4jj_r-K3VCBwjqkSvB3iCzhae08IlCUmPhRrUHk8Rczu2OHDzyz0xZzL6B0f_Y_mxpVAqfY9TJyvflUux_t9f3vxMSaHeGzpbr9U_vaEHxFNU7-shjtyKG6vaUsjjqq05O7J3L_a-LwtXFfP68IVdMiTbL4vxbBZjCdn9Wwh2kEtMBjnivcTyyAMuERk0dgkU4FgVAE1lB_CqO9Tw-k5aGDxWSDUE9whMHqUeAVFu-x8JARqVpu1WDJimiwVd7-G5vtr6JYLvJhee1IcaVWIx1Zr=w1184-h789-no

Hey, at least I started at the right trailhead.

Whatever. Just enjoy the photos. It really was an amazing walk.

Y9SReOt_n_PmEfQ6UjTpEcHZeaH6Z-ZQXuXQ-2UDlpWa9mACXu9O-Yzs2i3mWB4dCN8I4Yr_SK9XJfcoypSuaeww8HXirycVA1ih9MmYGcVmL0AsHDeR5fs1cuxYdFFk47IZtZuxFSfAM9zSKIat5uxI0MztFdG12AshnAuxwW8qGVBpzjZSUZ3V9IJjAamlFz0cY0bbPzhRFrjV75zgWna6pkECrvvLoX7Un5uKV4XyDTB6h2TvmtZvyljAfq18q9grvc11qAko6MOKNd7-_Cmqb-kevS0rts33la8a4-sxpnY-nT6aEGwLGAGhWFewqPkQUn9vK_FOSU-ItC0AOk1hUE2bsvUrUGBDCalcCT6g8aemM8uhxTIKTpaQTAGN04wgHolvoIra6N-ut2YmleiERE2ln8LMjVz29xd2n9etsdJd0usmFsDPIpQPYL0qnD6Q59c4p0JtG08rSltL0AHa9Pq6Ii6lTxSN47iFcnL1dwY5oQTfr2AFHDLvq6-Kr9rnzR_8NGgcfAglju6MJVRKFwiLeWwbznJ6JGmpqHUtnrc3sAP584zhdNWUK5jDgmCwLU8KuqwPnDYQaIIf2HsQJCelRVp7uVuwUIYoXwVy-w_7nKk6HE3_2rssv99T=w526-h789-no

tfF_QHJjvXIKBJkUrCOSDaGC7NSkIlLBaQx9275MuZaGAwuMOHjNSMKiFIuBJsDltFljGdEukchWA3SxbHJT9-arG3GhqytFXVrYZwVuFP13xX8S9dBVeShjiWp2xrBAX1zC1T1mPZ5BCvRRCLoKeps-Gg_nPP2odJqcKjGsPeY2wjPSS7cIiKnyao-WbBtF_LbQKWFNwjmxHABmO3lka2VlXsx8LTAAd0rN7Me_LmYzk_C4KEW2XXPAvvJJktAgXYxfGSGQ0etntOBT2XoKi4EWvMDH0ejGNZYJCBkJecUFv5V9bLj8GmOHjoiKLjf3A6D8XJ0fW_aSs0PF6-bFTYaR0Y0LCZSWuxKFaLsFjMBH9--0nPhbgq8VBCEuzddM3aTQDIysWxDzUy5NfdDkUZ8iZQ-6ST7Ru0_vodSYwFc1eE3EGES45W6FyL362vZ0wNSv1_7qEcIGlWrAtQ7YReuhlrNGWyKSrohLsdqx48zH98eYHjYUqAdiei-oCswaCBZiR9lwc-zjKny6EpBmqJ7jQkYCeDhDF4nfJuIHiMsckV_j9l1MNTgqAiKWe5rOrczozlhDENxogg91ZwtL7s9-9HvoOFozuVEuV96X26gsw4GBX1WtTHa598rXLzr8=w1184-h789-no

tcQ8dHzniDM0lncAjsLiwr8Kn3QqhQg3GbcOxeAxrjcjhdglRz7ypSaFK9cpuEeK_i5hrUdIdK7UyqvGLkMT_IAd5518z7JGXRWPVzkksXoJMR8jKjWx-ZvjoOc3wT1cVlb-4sr1SoXdEHxHga2Ed4iAZooVMR7LKXfK5oEJw-pD6hLY4UfMx5hMhmPPhjKcfLQS83t5BgqS_6nhNFW3qkeAEO0MsU_ASugNhV9UNiavEBAiq-P8LJdifXYBDiUB8Ak53k9qEKebXL6GnaC_hIsWwT7AWIeWr7pgFNslP2crIV9S5ttt2GFRWpjOvTOYEG3MYfY_5NfMa6aYeJy8OskJUYhj-OhxwAaPVoD8sT1SNh654fngBr5ulI-zuZcDbmkt7RiuWGMQofmbXiG0aetkX5s-qj0YnqB7Q3KHWrpkouLynbv_Efxn5ZXiQoz13et_vxg3vzE8cFH8PwwcTq6OHCm-U2EvGZmygkL15wksFZGUskuEz-bg9rcbwocV0VbCO-Do8jFrjmrhu40i7EHvP4lVfNBF5uchTBAnWiZ37OQxZ-ZUvL6VZKwK5zw1yoiW94GSCPJ1vt4YQ-8NISpWEDl24tlZriX946EWt53ixN-W1PFa27TimLi29nuM=w1184-h789-no

bMD2MrL5C7Hc-2qnn7AYVyysYBJREUxlQaBwrPWL6iPbAnQN3tnSqqN4KObvwT7WukSIQmU4p-UZrZOx_iogIQkFLvxhxbVEmgw3aYn2asp3ICFJoO7vmomhrLttitDynK8Qh_HWD8KuTES30ZG0pcZng7L1tyKlpM7Np8b-qNsVx0G2-ZGgafv_PwBhae9FZfvKmCQjd6uVqA4kPdKfmDrOQP7KkyPQYpveNj5uNHyJUUIIs0g_IHcQtq0_hYaWHfyTW1xnB668UCkqNhgxHvB-KrYmAq_qyTjP-fu6KmNyxNrhKCrMCePrmMaLAteffsHaioWXZV2NM0qckiL15aFNw_Zr29o6oobeIKTsgjWJm-bjY0hXZbpdxpyuu351t9xiWJAjpplwReSr7U0BpnQ9LfqUftBcm9mdhCv09whxVCrO_pLtM2N4Z0zM7pAxMswvN6q65K5rO6q64ieTTLI2wxmxkl0yO4Zh57PRSWzp63nY6PMG7-I1iK6I9uMsRufutmyYEt2ixA2ZE7NrdmWnecr8lmkPdqYPtdgtwsCi9RjCrWztd6OwfWLragYQqNFS53Jfia7bBujfBwxIEN3P2Yrc9flv-qkg3IZccxsEWMh7VXlUcOkFVXe3LAus=w1184-h789-no

uUo7vhvnSM7lTFsSUPH6eTErdsy2U1tmereUaXAn-MUgnLMldmahHhE3LZmO7WSaZuY00AbkRoMhbMP6xAQrZlEKX3wleDAlSskh1eHdzMmxqcEOXTh74G6yKkkL7u8XekjeM4A6ny3-WETyz0neN6wMvjVef-FHEgqHksma__wErDxKMabYbTxE1s10asf-se4YAi1sJjG_MC4_YspDo4_bDK1PYFmseWa1dFrQPTNtGji7SVIADQ1q7ue8w00SrUtZFQ_hRHXlDDWgUJ6nIPB_yHRY5-o_0VWiw1_0KjGZo6o7oGrSEp0acACoE9MeaJoFp_IG4TOXRRBnQNRlXlXj-NrXAcW67S6rqu6nmYwIZjGUmJ_5Q-VEWcC-qxsFJYWtBQ--odHPxoLQbxqwbTJ8-wx5-lIj4IFv6TQADG_DwX3LuxmBjwb3d22lAtVn797JyzVUeQEozbrXV-03KKDHZRP1v-T_lWNWv-kcgxzDZGYEjCvNHczipmVjOpRGrjQ2Bs7GLGSSC5EoLX9xRNSyHwo4EeD0hgg9NRRl_s04F51g93AibTyV7B3uz7cOfSyMsagM1G-mDZ7KvgyBMEs1K17CHhOkksgpoACYe4k7Xam4vinyN-aCshPulX99=w592-h789-no

Z6FFzeCUM88ohuStD90SEXhuIDonakTmsj31tkKpslWkVXlNoLfeydQKgAaFj04qSF-vCQHsJefIIwln2D4qEz7wxH8--60mubVaFKTmceVLXswz1ZfYikeLTqYyKzxH1lfG7U3naZ2P9o73wEqgZNTiVxhpsvoRzgNocjU0GGH3c5ftomOjexRVzv3BGrmVVEMNrRfvxJEQ4kZvBslOTJ3ijjKXryBDfZAfojDFbRNwBFjHXeO27J0rlnVV-hUWoh0RQlOfeTCvHKwLUDG3FeDxGoVVlxgnVPg-JILJXBHAEkDAHyR_-6c92utHPA66TsbH6M8dE5Ce_4WJMPzyo2yBv1u5R0hBJulGjVagMAnVPLUTkqDgjOKnJGQLVD_5Snh9YK_i-ggV4GvUnr17H--PloCuZjomiIolrjOMts-SvQuOaXiVBQwg_FKvE96I3jbuoydWMc31ABjOUcRO_C5-xblpuGqkuNXAsPL_LqUtpzx7ooNBHItNxntdlsJwxW3mcNJHuKsCXl8JokDUQZd8rgf0vGU796w0KLNuJdOPNH5CB1xjou4OD0JJ4c1sBMujus-T_xhQjv5rs422cJI_scIpwU4f35mvhgk59jzDvxoCZQ-9hqr_vcIYfxNI=w592-h789-no

Was the climb out difficult? Yes, but not horrible. We were fairly tired when we finally reached the rim again, but we both agreed it would have been much, much worse going in the other direction. You couldn’t beat the scenery. It was stunning in every direction. It instantly became one of our favorite hikes we’ve ever done.

GLVy1nYnSE0nyBmlVX6R47COE8T-r0nXuVgxZkwb0_ZLVyIUXT7TGj77HjqEoFnav3ha6XjmdpyNKuG7LEiZAyDGgVhrbhDP4-dorcsWInkrNA8vZjkM1h9L07zFp1EKBqqiqlazzXgSzRXrIbCaBqNjlTRbXms8eMXqRGxaQciUxPrj3SsdDaBE72RNvw7MMqEdhxsrHShIUdWsB5zX79poKIfGTFZsyaJLmLFpW9yfqV75WV0439OrqtEJ76kTWNwFrHlzBnym1qsmNT_1RFs1GlWZoFcsqoTF-D2npUxha3wOhqmbD4DAcgwvFhxX0IfQgejPuBkyl_3Ljxo1WKH1UisGb0yZ_UIZqlQ6CgIcUvvQyDv9fYfik2EvXT33M8-nOYlW4L3r01Pmzmic12JkelqfP8B_YWmB_ckZxRotyRvKTB0_hG_JzgC7M8Rd-aM2DwF3Uip3E55VGXO7OVkuxqryM3PGqaKrqdoQz6yG2BBY4Zy3oJm9eclADGrsMaPa8X_o8rankYYh5dYfjSXhw7gGgHbWflXrMr9qtMmnffSLd22aADSl_zXCwR6Cw49TZ5_WATz3sXsbcE1jpb0gAk4UvFTWyoYOyLIr8LqQQ3--eRdi44KKPWovEbve=w1184-h789-no

sbDk1FpzPdUw-4yP2ohkLzG5s2Fwxeqdk6EIbezX74PNv761JqyaP9-HTtQAcSG_bsJzd_KdUs1zpynXjyp0S5O7dAQ_LGoz6kGu2f5Ka5zSdPVu4vmvhkpJZEvE4b0DLe77SmreKzTjBvOt2pgQ05V97kphDJY5o51deQNYdmtwOdr4pJEIIw3Aj0iqmu1aKQ87D1Et6W_1PPaAQNdL1hd-14Yc4tFbpMhb3DN-l_gVXjIaq2Cj1K0fYtoQDXb84rZEu9y7dEhEN8T_H5iGx5hUzWxLbKF-g99XWOSBVXluP3R-oK9lCVql8FzihRYmhvJ1g8BBdxfw8BFDokQzMasBxNH1KSz_J2GLkxtc2UFA_BtuR08S2EwaQVqrB8-eD3kjKBKJPEoKR6yPUWfl0vZs12gqWqRFHyxbipWWrctUaarTro3CYdPRPBC_CyGHWK3LlbkkkNWbY2AHuxMQ3OGORdVkZUeZWwHVdUrLSoOD-cfYEdm_EnQfxpA5mOG_j8uODeE-4VURNRSrQj-aQ__0Boherh3o5EyIOzlABMQBzRQ-F397UyHxLwG_XjOvoAsFnw_kfwSzPg7JZDNh0DE6N1fnnjyQYfTffGWbSQXI8BZohW_PR4j-2SMVlCQU=w1184-h789-no

C7uYimpehuq37xynQN-4k4M-MD2X3_hI9PrqsrT_tZQ21XgG7l3vj1jYkGGd8gXOWiq5_QNnxtV7lLGyiYf24iVHiLN07kt9j1-YtgSMtoRcL3A1A3JzbiArqe_OW5v9tBe_CZsBthfoGQisRefP2ISxGXpw7uuXIppksuplcbfpZM-M6HfSYILgEz6d24OLFXiFzrUAq-F8O3TbIiHUpcmOF_1nEhzxhU9rwe_yVj7KsPBrgv1kcmAIkEdLyOAB5PKWcAsc3_wsKFqq8R16bLnW72d3Ttmb3DHfMEHODtUyx97lhdsVdlwOFh1_T10H-nEk5JWFLT2ip7o6F3Qn8oPttgHIVyWTEpdj57iNJoBaXejgAQ9UiA8zSsGsOtwvGuldPW5frurf1qTIU7o9wpXHb-4u3Lph6m0v8yAhUAu4kVndwU7561xwyaPY1vy2GIW4wSLePYbbQ5yv824s8dIvYe5JxytOnOCGzc5c6W0Gc7La1TCdrAP5dnQw0tLb2Gbn-AH0mG41-Xa7AEj0Ny9uwMgOctzmlcoqSo6yfLLNtckMPUQVUa8Hcupl9BS6vLuv22e-n6mc730frXXYXGALloUvpQBmKwgQ7g5lnoWyeBgeyeTRMACp6LUV6isn=w1052-h789-no

Once we finished, we walked the Rim Trail back to our cabin, showered, and changed into shorts and t-shirts since the temperatures were rising. We wandered through the historic Bryce Canyon Lodge, spending some time and money in the gift shop so we could buy the affections of our children upon our return. We also sat for a bit in the lobby just to rest our legs. Sitting down is underrated.

v6mqy1pI8pIvBWiD2_DoujPAFkG5syu_svnDH9d7qYFSwY12VPv1Hu8_aZXP1ZPMoSIrPsHU1WKZxuDL5jujLPeJOiMAZFkvCbVyl23BEzoYRobKSmpPCYoCCflajzlExgUBVOZDQsItPuogPf8j2y6E9HhB3cU-_uav_VKpOnVaf8j6wsHO6UU6BZaa5NCiy6Ukqv1U2M_VDdf3VqVxcSdwlnqZ5LrrAmwcDFExPHbD7G_O4zyXrpcpDtiUjFIyQI3Zl8P2t22r25BcwW4UmU-7Mx9mhxezOuVchKVyg4wA6JleA6hqtkUks48YZ8YZWW0nE_QGCU0avwEkfof3zxDnrN222qqppWXpiKO-rLAIZAxvEvTi1Y5UoQ2KjTorkm6EGgpl-Ovm58z9__Yyv5N66EmJC76Sdix39w0Hew-S1TnrfQX9l9GVlz430Y9BFozBER7m_dqyX8Juh0ZHNdhAED5dcu8g_z2NWYNiwzamnfwV1NO-eJ2jpQk4gYV4PoEiMJrlolITf0ILdIlS6henPwfg1H3HJh76PyeaKLVHxBv1WIOt7yvF2pP4Iw4vKFiL5lYnRffM0_rr3V3pJ1Han__HsupQkDpLUvJDNkzxAtS-C-mEuwPjm6vJFKnO=w1184-h789-no

We decided to drive a short distance down the road to Inspiration Point—we hadn’t stopped at this viewpoint on our first trip, so we figured we might as well cross it off the list. I immediately regretted this decision when we reached the parking lot, climbed out of the car, and saw a steep incline up to the viewpoint. I grumbled about the climb, but we eventually made it to the overlook. And yes, it was worth the climb. Here’s a panorama.

oygzvT2uLow80iKodXxqU1Ic3qA5H9EYnjvyJeNC2_DVOP2mHMvj94jxuxYJSY6yhhrvumIj0psgOTayRR0dMCwXAiTXBK6Cj_ddgUsLZLssfrAspl63Cqo1jDugW3odcFMPF_R-nkhTgXTRLhgyT-9u4Cv2o5pfso3JcLMz3XrMdaTLJztcGvcYxkhNkWH2x7n2TNVwNlF8DWEjW6f6x3lQizbiHNJIl5mXbocB9AEYy2M4wWRTCjS9GSa19YhVluXNlhbNz5uvyhSrywYnvxAXHkc1OifzMVa1Z2MBfpdK0FPunXWNO-RfLStIGHsoBuJfeoP2yvoo1DY_gSmOEyLSQlq1deVwT6P9Lm31omQCa8bRxxFdRTpb9_7cNiCZOhyxOJNZzBYdWwh15yZjR-w84ok-IN6uQk5kRZGp7QIh333xIlXd5sWVIah6mUo4lvt0IN4b-ST761KiggG2CWGKmdYoiycZdzc3b68BxAG5msT9Qaez37khsH2OIvDSQMRpH8N0WRMEIJAFggIp0LVU71G6ioXHXrL2YX5MERV4btA08vyme6Zrltam21dTYdgjwlh7S3gX24_htnCCsuZHuLsGZKu4QQNoxLbWO1MPmDR5E74508PbXOBH9SDP=w1248-h367-no

Along the way, we passed a guy jabbering on his cell phone. He talked loudly, non-stop, recounting his entire vacation to whomever was on the other end (and had probably put their phone down and walked away). He never stopped talking on his phone the whole time he was at the overlook. Dude. Nobody cares what you shot at the golf course. Put the phone down. Take in the view. Breathe.

Anyway, I was ready to head down and grab some food. But then Julie spotted yet another overlook, even farther up the near-vertical path. Maybe that was supposed to be the REAL Inspiration Point, she suggested. I wasn’t inspired. But she insisted.

Happy wife, happy life.

Calf muscles screaming in agony, I forced myself up the hill through sheer willpower. And I hate to admit this, but…she was right. It was stunning up there, and I’m glad she forced me to do it.

pVINw7CD8p-55iantPel-U0xAOXSJldhnwck_Rj4IIprdR61S8fewRKkEwadtrljFf-D5Cd-01Ua_ngX7DwIjRnn94c6_erZBagt4PDpMudIDddn4OHXUsrFh90zsq4h37Oj_OqjMXaqx1hUKL8ceh-2fXJYPjBYykWPyi2J5ahs7uuR_TzSxvddlabN-pttfox_-Ow6MtYpSriq_hFEeKAcF2XvuUx9odJEbsjHJATYWumNWjdyFG2yOsxMlyXEwvQ1kUzWSsXIVTwuKOIHRtpEWKNeTIC6M71s_IyerSmzarMp5Gjn3_UUlb4KwmIGE4mcht3gzJqsHT2I9cvQ9JqorYoD-vB4r93sM2S7aV5C9CQ-htCAbRdYPYFKvTC0ik9pV_pZImhLpTDx2x6FrtakoynJFqarwgdFf5Yq00iOkQC-Ml5Mq5JaPLqVGAslrvHWggk9WOx0qOmgWsVNvr4kabVTqD0fccgeHXjuGBZWal6s8oiXqx2L6I5PgzGNFDNwQCCB9vFhu5FflkoIwtMY6qtmT4SX2wfBW0_OTrdXKegVeeA471a7zlAel30IuhqtOsjQdxvtCoUMH5xXZKUdUfe054L3ndudSvTuPdTaEQwVhCtSzWRw8_S71dlB=w1184-h789-no

wo7MKkE2AOOPUkTEjoxNh4L5vDriVkUJVCgmSKCJXf1n85bxP3iKFjcDef9nIy4UOYjNloKz3UvAH5PS3qriX6VKeQQKKEm76mGunxsDqybYBcrxCrk2kSARayWApl1qHH_aSPiHwKc9JvqrstI6-jzoE0hCSLfdTIDw-VRqagqReNFr31BM6acAYKlElSDblUE-ZCZXDhq2qxLqIQMdnU6XLQevOnFz5wI3M5jAzw0fmZBXculXEfwatXqa-fuwJfQnRtBoRySdC0BVSXe6Bab8gFnR0tOzLHqHL2eaqUeNKv3VagIHpaO9WIVGzvuwQPoXH3eUtMqwWE5BUqytsqH5gozQjumWB_whkSeRYGN3fzXdlRPuna_5wvxlWQ8BGFjXJh9VOMvKdfnGTix_i9GYat5qHGD0uz0KL4JynSJ3Tn6YIBYDWq516b1lqfiSAkhuvhXY8oJssm9BLfrEW-uAsNRCefUeWd9AcLTmFedyU3yslCSGWYDs6mbTA1-rrfzFdKMFrWQEIO95z7fAeJ1UhBtUfEMA6WsDhIKagrOysRYuPdBh9y0MnieuOQfOqV5NHF2NisK4kfRioDkfMywjbY4sCYErWg11WBtk8pJzXyrFCEypcENNAN53dfjv=w1184-h789-no

AfgjPDIVdoIeISz1zAzNVmiDBEBGgJRDVGCNNI5X9u_cbN0sdg8V62rirhiw5_mKySCfLfzBPXsX-FPOTTIOn3Gxw7juRxQLqz1FMaMFy6gVmaI6RzwQ5WFfuawLnGY-2pim2WMQuQK2YfOn1uUpuNdprSi3EgvdYvr12wGa6FHN_s2PGxK2ntqCoJbgC37amGoPt1qYa_dBp6dEpHIMJkzR2n_26TIzy3avCV4xJhyru3RYfJm5DBH6THMX1TPSd-SzWOwxC82youPVINGTURUDQ-ahTQoNQkOr0ZnHc5VWWZwDYxrIJTlKMQT4JYVX6odd2mzHmTlDUbJhBiQTiBiTu86W2KktFPGXlQltpwS-KTTpxdkTgvAzR7qdT7WtaI9Bun2JLZWDu_-mVDRlRg-RXbU0Wb7iAwXjFgSeEy1eKxG3tjkEmSW4IrRxHna94LGydro7-n1cm18km_jCvAVOuE8xAypULvRvqGOQThDjyT7gNZ36iEGwEjbzPwp8MKeMB4Aep8JlWUUH46Fk0bu9p8z02mdqiku79JIu5CcnMeE8c22VtMcZCPTQZPGw66msRStD9CuK7ALRXVKQixeSe4pYadzpgEyo5lh0_G_VVr5w-aFOJ9J_8TLhlHVa=w1248-h357-no

I could stare at that view all day.

We made our way down to the car. We drove back to the lodge and got some crappy pizza at the little pizza shop there. And then, reluctantly, we left Bryce Canyon behind. Every park in Utah is spectacular, but this one may well be my favorite. It’s either Bryce or Arches for me.

Coming Up Next: Our last piece of unfinished business.

Ugh, your Title didn't tell me there was an update and there are a few more people's updates that I have to read before I can get yours again, but I was commenting on the chatter. So I'll do that and come back to read the update in order.

I never got away with it, I just ignored the fact that it was unhealthy. My problem has been that I eat too many foods that taste good, and not enough that taste terrible.

Believe it or not while I like all kinds of things that you find appalling, vegetables are not one of the things that I love. There are really only about five or six vegetables that I rotate through our dinners as vegetable sides. I'll eat just about anything that someone else prepares for me, but if I'm making it the choices are broccoli, zucchini, green beans, cabbage, salad, and asparagus (on occasion). I like tomatoes, but don't consider them a "green vegetable". I wish that I liked more of this stuff, but I eat it because I have to, not cause I like to. And I like the tomatoes, when they have a big chunk of Mozarella cheese on top of them!

I'm jealous of people who actually like eating healthy stuff, because for the most part I just can't force myself to like it.

Me too. I have friends who have switched to a 'Plant based diet' and I'm like :confused3

my overall cholesterol number went down about 60 points after I started taking it.

Wow! I'm lucky if i'm near 200, ecstatic if I'm below.

I don't know about this. I hate Cauliflower and find that roasting things only helps sometime. I actually like steamed veggies better, but only if I don't over steam them, there is fine line between mush and not too crunchy.

For her part, Julie thought it was hilarious to walk by several hikers in specialized gear—walking poles, Keen hiking boots, $90 hiking pants from LL Bean or REI, sun hats, lightweight backpacks…and then compare them to me, in a ball cap and blue jeans and carrying a Target bag with water bottles in it.

This made me laugh - I had just looked at the picture and thought...interesting...for someone that hikes alot on vacation, jeans are an odd choice. Not that I think you need a bunch of special gear - I just don't think of jeans as comfortable to hike in. With that said, I can just put on a pair of leggings and go - I frown upon seeing men wear leggings. :rotfl2::rotfl:

I could stare at that view all day.

That's easy - use it as your background at work. You can fool yourself into thinking you are on vacation everyday.

Thanks for sharing the pics - truly stunning.

We did get to see this bird on the way back to the cabin, though.

Beautiful. Any idea what kind it is?

That post appears to be a, uh, popular spot for birds.

Needs a little tiny toilet paper roll.

Sunrise is further to the north.

Huh. I always thought sunrise was further to the East.

For some inexplicable reason, the official Bryce Canyon map/newsletter they give you at the entrance recommends you start this hike at Sunrise Point and return via the Navajo Loop to Sunset Point. DO NOT DO THIS, unless you are also a fan of root canals and tax audits. Every guide book I read said to do the opposite, and in this case the guide books were correct.

Huh. That's... strange. I wonder why they do that?

y now, the sun had broken through the clouds and was starting to cast some cool shadows around the hoodoos.

Woo hoo for hoodoos!

Check out the drop, and then imagine having to climb back up this way.

Nope!
I fail to see the well hidden escalator.

Once again, including our hot model for scale:

Whoa.

Or, if you want to get really dramatic:

qs3meeilIds2TCuDuvWEmO6rG9VuAYn4kAPey3jAvVgcxgNuBI-0moNRrJgNC-umf0dAtdbSOUEZjJqxGsGWtGwqpZkC2ppOSyzyqIPZ4iQTr2Q6000Z1-W9SVQ2IxJ5PTVjca2yxCg6ok1MtHC4BW4q3RvcAGesoeHaZ0a0gU7GDryPRRp6i7syfuoJMyEnth7r9bmlg-GVTvStet3CTstiB4OfydT3ZEQNvmMI8T4qrmUSJIfmPrBFbRdxJC1KHs8wgMYrvfBkZTQlLBhFradwUo6WncxyAXfa7v4QCijK5VygJ0mHH1BxSrPhgLl-cQoNQRXwnSIO2box_9-xKdOP9L8LOLExauMAjZq0wqQpJSf5akYJ6eRx-h2xzQR8PJ93M3R-ts253QnQ1bs1gCV_Ht8_Dlmqrl1X2AO3-ybRTq09ujssZSsUdF-WW539JmuX-yu7aVV__Bqin4DB0Vdf0JdLC_FpqTCaGsAY1nnMe1iaXdKe_JHs2NRJ5dK97vfraFQUmtHkNv5mECaRFvRvceIq_xgjUan9N2KLqmI2-oSNY13UVZ-K1W784eWQzJOBia_gqDGN_e2PEln8CXN_jmWu8okOcHZdzgvmYOoN5cw7dze2B-6hX6ItVe7b=w526-h789-no

Holy crap! :faint:

They even had tunnels cut in the rock at various points along the trail.

Cut? Or eroded?

That one.

So what? did you enjoy it?
That settles that.

Whatever. Just enjoy the photos. It really was an amazing walk.

I did! Amazing shots. All of them!

It instantly became one of our favorite hikes we’ve ever done.

Can totally see why.

spending some time and money in the gift shop so we could buy the affections of our children upon our return.

Doesn't work.
Maybe a little...
How much did you spend?

Sitting down is underrated.

::yes::

And yes, it was worth the climb. Here’s a panorama.

gorgeous.

Along the way, we passed a guy jabbering on his cell phone. He talked loudly, non-stop, recounting his entire vacation to whomever was on the other end (and had probably put their phone down and walked away). He never stopped talking on his phone the whole time he was at the overlook. Dude. Nobody cares what you shot at the golf course. Put the phone down. Take in the view. Breathe.

:sad2:

And I hate to admit this, but…she was right. It was stunning up there, and I’m glad she forced me to do it.

Agreed. Even more stunning than the last shot.

We actually were up early enough that we tried to walk out to the rim to take a peek at the sunrise, but unfortunately it was a dud. Low-lying clouds obscured the sunlight that morning.

I hate when that happens. It's rare for me to be up at Sunrise, but when I am, I don't want the sun to be obscured by nature! The outrage!

For some inexplicable reason, the official Bryce Canyon map/newsletter they give you at the entrance recommends you start this hike at Sunrise Point and return via the Navajo Loop to Sunset Point. DO NOT DO THIS, unless you are also a fan of root canals and tax audits. Every guide book I read said to do the opposite, and in this case the guide books were correct. I’ll show you the reason why in a moment.

Huh. Considering that I never do hikes at parks (anymore) this is good to know.

It was breathtaking to be able to wander amongst the rock formations towering above us. I loved squeezing through the narrow passageways. They even had tunnels cut in the rock at various points along the trail.

Sounds quite interesting, who knows if I will ever get to experience this someday.

For no points, how did we respond?

a) STEEP. Good luck, suckers! We’ll see you in about 8 hours when you finish.

b) Beautiful! Such an amazing hike. You’ll have a great time!

c) Disappointing. Not a single burger joint to be found.

I'm going with d)

I don't think I would have chosen jeans, but I rarely wear jeans at all. I would have been in Capris and a tank top (I call this "my uniform") and I would have actually worn tennis shoes, which is a rarity for me.

We decided to drive a short distance down the road to Inspiration Point—we hadn’t stopped at this viewpoint on our first trip, so we figured we might as well cross it off the list. I immediately regretted this decision when we reached the parking lot, climbed out of the car, and saw a steep incline up to the viewpoint. I grumbled about the climb, but we eventually made it to the overlook. And yes, it was worth the climb. Here’s a panorama.

I think I did actually hike up to that one while Fran waited in the parking lot. I seem to remember there were two different overlooks that I hiked up to and they really tested my Acrophobia.

Calf muscles screaming in agony, I forced myself up the hill through sheer willpower. And I hate to admit this, but…she was right. It was stunning up there, and I’m glad she forced me to do it.

As I said, I think I did this and found it to be really cool. But now you can't say that you are lazy.

We made our way down to the car. We drove back to the lodge and got some crappy pizza at the little pizza shop there. And then, reluctantly, we left Bryce Canyon behind. Every park in Utah is spectacular, but this one may well be my favorite.

I think it might be mine too.

For those of you who have updated your TR's, I'm coming to read them! I promise!

OK, I made it to yours! And I just finally updated mine today! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!